Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Wait Time???

Has anybody had to wait an extremely long time to receive a frame from SC.? I ordered a Chameleon Dec. 19th 2005, and I still haven't received it. The LBS I ordered from keeps getting the B.S. excuse that "It went to paint". The original wait time was quoted as being 4-6 weeks...I think they missed the mark. It shouldn't take too long to paint a Taiwanese made frame, I could be wrong though...I'm thinking they swam each frame over one at a time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what color frame did you get? I think that they do their powdercoats in batches, so if it's a color that hasn't been done yet, it could take a while. You may want to check with your LBS and see what colors SC does have in stock. I ordered an Ano Black Blur LT a few of weeks ago, and was told that the wait would be 3 weeks, so I'm hoping that it should be in any day now.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeRider
    Has anybody had to wait an extremely long time to receive a frame from SC.? I ordered a Chameleon Dec. 19th 2005, and I still haven't received it. The LBS I ordered from keeps getting the B.S. excuse that "It went to paint". The original wait time was quoted as being 4-6 weeks...
    If anyone gets a SC frame in under two months its a minor miracle.

So don't get all crazy until Feb.19th.
    - -benja- -

Dirt Displacer
    I got my ano Nomad frame in two weeks.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Wait Time

That's absolutely ridiculous...they don't even need to fabricate the frame, just paint it. From what I've seen on this forum, they have a hard time doing that as well. I'm wondering what would happen If I needed to send it back for warranty work...I guess I could just throw it away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

here is what to do...

First question is, is your shop a "stocking Dealer". If not, and they just can get them for you, you will get the long answer and not the short. SC will service their dealers first. Just the way it is! Found this out the hard way.

On you bike, color might be a hold up. If you want it bad, ask what is ready to ship, in stock. This works well. An example is if you want a polished Nomad... good luck. You may see that thing in July. I had one on order, thencanceled it when I found out they ano slates sitting there ready to ship.

SC builds/paints their kit bikes in a greater number on frames. If you pick a kit color you will get it faster. I have worked 7 SC bike sales in the last two months and the longest wait has been three weeks for a liquid blue Julie. I also worked a warrenty on a Bullit frame today and they had them in stock also. That will be fixed on less than 30 days!

BTW they have Jackels on sale now at SC! You might want to check if you want a DJ bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I went to my LBS last saturday and ordered a large ano slate nomad and it's coming tomorrow. I just got lucky, less than a week.

Too Much Fun
    That's absolutely ridiculous...they don't even need to fabricate the frame, just paint it. From what I've seen on this forum, they have a hard time doing that as well. I'm wondering what would happen If I needed to send it back for warranty work...I guess I could just throw it away.
    Its not that rediculous. Could it be way better? Sure, but they are not that big of an outfit and they are likely at the merci of their finishing vendor. Or do they do the finishing in house?
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun

Oh, and FWIW, I've heard generally positive things about SC frame warranty work as well as turn around times.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member

Wait Time

You must be one lucky guy, either that or they're just blowing smoke for the sale...here what my LBS just e-mailed me.

Our supplier for Chameleons is running about 3 weeks behind on our shipment, those frames are due to arrive on the 17th. It will take a few days to QC them, assemble and ship so you are looking at the end of the month on that order.
    Thanks,
    Sales Rep
    Santa Cruz Bicycles
    104 Bronson St # 22
    Santa Cruz, CA 95062

I don't know what's going on, but that's a bunch of B.S. I hope for your sake you don't have to wait so long...I hope it's worth it.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by texheckler
    First question is, is your shop a "stocking Dealer". If not, and they just can get them for you, you will get the long answer and not the short. SC will service their dealers first. Just the way it is! Found this out the hard way.

On you bike, color might be a hold up. If you want it bad, ask what is ready to ship, in stock. This works well. An example is if you want a polished Nomad... good luck. You may see that thing in July. I had one on order, thencanceled it when I found out they ano slates sitting there ready to ship.
    I think this is the best way to approach getting a SC frame quickly. Call around to the stocking Dealers and see what they have in stock and whats already on order. Thats what I did and I totally lucked out on a medium polished. It was already incoming and I just swooped on it. Still had to wait a bit, but I didn't have to wait the whole two months it was on order...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member

Wait Time

I ordered a White Large Chameleon...I didn't know White was that hard of a color to mix.

aka baycat
    Patience is a virtue, and even more so when waiting for a SC. I at the MINIMUM waited three months for my two. Heed all advice above, Tex Heckler hit it head on when desciribing the infamous SC wait time.

But this is all MOOT when you get it and ride one!

I dunno if anyone mentioned this but I am pretty sure they paint their frames in batches, and who cares about color Mud is all the same
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 02-15-2006 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Yep... dirt is all the same color!

And chips and scratches all add to the experiance! IMO

BTW... Hecklers are in the same shipment due in on the 17th.

Got one of them on order also.

rad to the power of sick
    It took four months for my superlight frame to come in.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    If anyone gets a SC frame in under two months its a minor miracle.

So don't get all crazy until Feb.19th.
    These are the wait times for SC bikes that I have ordered in the past:

Bullit(Green) 6 days
    Bullit(black) 4 days
    Bullit (black) 4 days
    Bullit (white) 9 weeks
    Bullit (Trans Red) 3 days
    Chameleon (Trans Red) 3 weeks
    Chameleon (White) 1 week
    Heckler (Duke Blue) 4 days
    Julianna HT (Duke BLue) 6 days
    Chameleon (White) 5 days
    Superlight ( BLue Ano) 1 week

Granted.....color is not really important to me. I have my LBS call and see what is available, then make my choice. The only 2 that took a while were the Bullit('03 frame/5th Element remodel) and the Chameleon.....had to have white. Otherwise every frame I have ordered has shown up within a week.

mtnbikej

aka baycat
    Why the **** dont you open your own Santa Cruz Distrbution Center!

Damn, so mtnbikej how long of a wait if I order a polished Nomad from ya?

one more time
    Oct 2005
    i picked my blur off the rack from about 5 colours in my size - no wait....

same story with my new nomad...

only waiting time was to have the thing built for me - as above im not super choosy when it comes to colour - blur is dark blue powdercoat - nomad is slate ano.

im am based in singapore and my LBS is the distributor for many parts of south east asia - it is nuts cause they have dozens of SC frames hanging on the walls - blurLT's, nomads, VPthrees, you name it - apparently their agreement is pretty tight so they cant sell outside their distributor zone...

seems crazy to have all those bikes on racks while you guys in the states seem to struggle to get your hands on them...

mtbr member

Wait Time

Thanks for all the replies. I hate to sound like a cry baby but I've got a sweet pile of parts to put on that damn frame....it's killing me. All of you can understand that. Maybe I can buy one from MTNBIKEJ???

mtbr member

Its really a crapshoot, depending upon what they have...

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes, if color doesn't really matter, you can get one quickly.

IB recently decided on a Nomad, he called them up and asked what they had in stock, and 5 days later, he had his trans red nomad. Same size as a black/trans red combo, that we've had ordered for 6 weeks, that just came in yesterday. If time is important, color sometimes can't be.

Oh, and someone mentioned the Jackal sale, which is unbelievable. The kit on that bike alone is worth what the retail for that bike is now. We grabbed 3 just to have around.

Mountain Moose
    Feb 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I ordered a Liquid Blue Chameleon in early January. Originally told 5-6 weeks. My LBS just told me that SC's last shipment of Chameleon's all had bad head tubes. New ETA is middle of March.

Warrior's Society
    Thanks for all the replies. I hate to sound like a cry baby but I've got a sweet pile of parts to put on that damn frame....it's killing me. All of you can understand that. Maybe I can buy one from MTNBIKEJ???

NOpe, have sold all of them excpet for my last Chameleon, Heckler, Juliana and Superlight.. Always gotta sell of the old, to get the new.

mtnbikej

mtbr member

What??

Quote Originally Posted by ben.winter@verizon.net
    I ordered a Liquid Blue Chameleon in early January. Originally told 5-6 weeks. My LBS just told me that SC's last shipment of Chameleon's all had bad head tubes. New ETA is middle of March.
    Bad head tubes? My personal Chameleon was ordered, liquid blue style, in...oh, late December, and I got it a few weeks ago. They didn't ship any with bad headtubes, did they?

_
    Mar 2004
    I guess I was pretty lucky back in August when I walked into The Bike Co. (so. cal) and bought my TransBlue Heckler frame on the spot. ::wipes forehead:: I couldn't imagine having to wait so long for a frame. If I did, it would definitely be worth the wait though.

mtbnj.com
    When i decided that i wanted to build up a chameleon, i went to my lbs who is a sc dealer, told them that i wanted a chameleon. They had a large gray hanging on the wall, but i wasnt to thrilled with it, so they called sc on the spot and asked what they had ready to ship, and they said large trans blue, and small greens i think. Hook me up with the blue i said, and bingo, shiny new chammy 1 week later. As others have said, they paint in batches, so dont get the impression that they see an order for a certain color, and quickly get to it.

wait for it, its all worth it
    walter

p.s. the large gray is still on the wall at my lbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast