dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Santa Cruz VPP vs Split pivot designs

I posted this question over in the suspension forum but thought I might get more responses here. I'm leaning towards getting a Bronson for my next bike but wonder how it compares to split pivot bikes (Devinci and Salsa for instance). I understand the difference in design but was wondering if anyone has ridden both designs and what they thought. All other things being equal such as fit, geo and cost is one better than the other?

mtbr member
    AFAIK the DW split pivot and Trek ABP are designed to prevent stiffening of the rear suspension under braking.

I used to ride a Trek ABP bike and am now on a SC VPP bike and I can feel the stiffening over bumps when braking, where I used to not feel it as much.

Is it better? Well, I do get more tired when having to cut speed on rough trails. Still, I like my new bike a lot more than my previous one, despite this trade-off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I posted this question over in the suspension forum but thought I might get more responses here. I'm leaning towards getting a Bronson for my next bike but wonder how it compares to split pivot bikes (Devinci and Salsa for instance). I understand the difference in design but was wondering if anyone has ridden both designs and what they thought. All other things being equal such as fit, geo and cost is one better than the other?
    I have ridden both and split pivot feels more plush or compliant in the rough to me. Feels more bottomless, like it has more travel than it really does at the effect of not pedalling the best compared to other designs. VPP definitely pedals much better, but isn't necessary a very plush design, but good suspension and carbon rims help a lot to absorb the chattery stuff and the newer VPP bikes are much better than in the past with no excessive harshness, pedal kickback or dead feeling mid stroke like in former days. I am on a VPP bike now and love it for trail/AM riding where I know I am going to be pedalling a lot and hauling mail on the descents (bike sprints and carries speed superbly). Whereas, I never liked the feel of pre-2010 VPP bikes no matter how stiff and nice the frames were. Best thing is to ride them both if possible and see what works best for you, your riding style and terrain that you plan to primarily ride on.

BTW, the two bikes I am primarily comparing to that I rode a bunch was a Devinci Troy (5.5" travel) all Alu XP model compared to Bronson (6") all carbon. Even though the Troy had a bit less travel, it rode like it had more than Bronson and was a fair bit more active and cush in the rough, but not as stiff or precise as Bronson while cornering or as good of a pedaller with same traveled forks and similar geometry.
    Ride On!

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    My thoughts may repeat some of jgusta's thoughts.
    I owned a Tallboy AL and Nomad AL. I still have the Nomad but replaced the Tallboy with a Devinci Atlas. I've also spent a bit of time on a Devinci Troy. Comparing the two 29rs, I felt like the Tallboy climbed a bit better than the Atlas. The Atlas wins when it comes to smoothing out rough descents and all around handling. The Atlas is more playful and like to jump and be thrown around. My thoughts on the Troy vs Nomad are practically the same. The shorter travel Troy seemed to smooth the trail out more. The Troy and Nomad were both fitted with Cane Creek Double Barrels, CS on my Nomad but no CS on the Troy. I didn't notice any difference in climbing between these two.
    i ride bikes