Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz or Trek?

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  k^2 
#1 ·
I am looking at a new 2008 Santa Cruz Blur xc vs a new 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8. Both are being offered for a similar price at a local bike shop. Just in terms of $$$ the Blur is the better deal and it is a nice light bike, but I've been sold on Trek for a long time and know the dollar signs don't always indicate the best bike. Any opinions or suggestions?

#3 ·
Personally, I'm a big proponent of the smaller companies. I know that obviously SC isn't some tiny little brand, but at the same time when you can call up the company directly and talk directly to "the warranty guy" (a.k.a. Willie) . . . that goes a long way in my book. You won't find that at Trek.

#4 ·
I don't think you can go too wrong with either, but I guess maybe whichever suits your riding style and local trails.

Trek did right by me recently after my '08 Ex 8 developed a crack, they replaced it with a top of the line carbon 9.9 frame. Pretty amazing really.... I covered that topic here... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=667183

I've just ordered a Santa Cruz tallboy as well, but I have no experience with their bikes or after market service, but I can't wait to ride it!

#5 ·
I was originaly going to go with a Rumblefish II when I started looking at 29ers. I was never able to ride one and heard to many stories about broken frames. I ended up finding the SC Tallboy and picked it up today. I only had one little ride on it and it was REALLY nice. I am glad I went with what I did!

#7 ·
I have spent a quite a bit of time on my friend's 09 Remedy. The rear suspension doesn't feel nearly as good as my Nomad :)

I have a Trek Top Fuel 9.9SSL as well. That bike is extremely fast, and plush for a race bike, but I still think VPP is superior if you are not racing.

This is the Santa Cruz forum, I think the answer you get will be biased.

#10 ·
Well, I owned 2006 Trek Fuel 8. Then I got 2006 Trek Fuel 9.5 Carbon which I still own, and this year I got myself Blur XC carbon. The Fuel 8 was a fine bike. The biggest difference that I see between the SC and Trek is that SC seems to be more nimble. It feels easier to toss the bike around tight corners. Also watch out, the head tube on SC is 1 inch shorter than on the Trek on a large frame. So you might end up being either not as stretched or a bit cramped on SC And yes the SC suspension is superior to my old TREK. I don't have to lock the rear when doing steeper climbs. I guess over all both are very competent bikes. A lot depends on the components as well. Unfortunately both of the bikes are Made in China or Taiwan which is a bummer. There goes my 2 cents from a guy who own both brands. One more thing. SC frame is lighter if that matters to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.