super gearhead
    Jul 2009

Santa Cruz Solo aluminum project

I have decided to take the leap to 650b for my next bike. Since my previous choice was to be a Blue TR aluminum, it only made sense to choose the Solo aluminum.

The frame won't come until 9/1/2013 so until then I will be slowly gathering all of the components so that I have everything when it does show.

So far I have the following parts:

E.13 TRSr cranks w/104x4 bolt spider

E.13 XCX+ ISCG05 top guide (black)

E.13 34t 104x4 Guide Ring (blue)

Formula R1 brakes w/2-piece rotors (black w/blue piston caps)

Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs (blue) on WTB Frequency i23 TCS rims with DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes (black) and alloy nipples (blue)

Chris King mixed-taper NoThreadset (blue)

Custom anodized Lock-On clamps (blue)

Custom anodized valve caps and lock rings (blue)

Woodman SL Ti seat collar (blue)

Still to come is an XX1 drivetrain, Syntace F109 stem and Vector carbon bars, a Revelation RCT3 130mm fork, an X-Fusion O2 RL shock, a WTB Silverado SLT saddle, a Reverb Stealth, and some Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires. Hoping for 27-29 lbs.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Here's an update on the parts I have (with some pics):

For the tires I decided to go with Hutchinson Cougar 650x2.2 front and rear. They have been getting decent reviews and are tubeless-compatible, with a claimed weight of 710g (a good 150g lighter than most 650b UST tires). We'll see how they work out.

I received my shipment of various blue-anodized titanium bolts so now I have all the brake and chain guide mounting hardware, as well as button-head ti water bottle cage bolts and a black aluminum headset preload bolt for my King. Not that it's all about weight, but the titanium hardware saves about 28 grams over the original steel hardware it replaces.

Santa Cruz Solo aluminum project-p5pb9859952.jpg

Santa Cruz Solo aluminum project-p5pb9856702.jpg

Pics above show my drawer full of parts and the rear wheel with the XX1 driver.

So still left to order is: Syntace Megaforce 2 stem, Syntace Vector10 carbon bars, Straitline AMP pedals, SRAM XX1 drivetain (minus cranks), Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 130mm fork, Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 125 post, ODI Cross Trainer Lock-On grips, WTB Silverado SLT saddle, and a rear shock. I am torn between a DT Swiss M212 and an X-Fusion O2RL rear shock. The DT Swiss is a little bit more but the black stanchion would match the Revelation really well, and DT Swiss has some pretty good reviews.
    Last edited by mrbeef523; 09-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Where are the pics?

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Weirdness, they were there before...

Well here's some new ones.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009

Some progress...

Here's where we are at so far:

Santa Cruz Solo aluminum project-p5pb10056243.jpg

Waiting on a few more paychecks to come in so I can pay down my CC bill before I can order the XX1 and Reverb Stealth with WTB Silverado SLT.

mtbr member
    Name:  Borat-Very_Nice.jpg
Views: 136071
Size:  19.2 KB
    I'm really interested in the AL frame with the Pike. If I built one this is the same way I would like to do it.

Please keep up on the updates, especially the ride reports!!!

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    what shocks are you running???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    what shocks are you running???
    First post says: X-Fusion O2 RL shock

Doesn't really match the rest of the build quality imho.

mtbr member

Re: Santa Cruz Solo aluminum project

Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    Name:  Borat-Very_Nice.jpg
Views: 136071
Size:  19.2 KB
    I'm really interested in the AL frame with the Pike. If I built one this is the same way I would like to do it.

Please keep up on the updates, especially the ride reports!!!

Thanks!!!
    I believe that is a Revelation...

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Actually it's a Revelation, not a Pike. The Pike can't go down any lower than 150mm so I chose the Revelation, which is 130mm of travel.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Right now I am running a DT Swiss M212 Remote in the back and a Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air in the front.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    You are correct. It is a Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 130mm. The Pike can't go below 150mm in the 650b wheel size so I opted for the Revelation. Also the Pike is kinda overkill for my style of riding, and I was assured by the SRAM rep that it would be the better fork for the bike.

mtbr member
    There are a few TRc people with 150mm Pikes, but the axle-to-crown length is definitely beyond what SC recommends. The Pike is a better fit for a Bronson, Blur LT, even Nomad than a Solo or TRc.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    I definitely prefer staying within 10mm of the rear wheel travel for most of my bikes. Though even if I could have gotten a Pike at 140mm of travel I would have probably still stuck with the Revelation. The price increase and weight increase from the Revelation to the Pike is not worth it to me.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeef523 View Post
    You are correct. It is a Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 130mm. The Pike can't go below 150mm in the 650b wheel size so I opted for the Revelation. Also the Pike is kinda overkill for my style of riding, and I was assured by the SRAM rep that it would be the better fork for the bike.
    There is a guy here (WilliamK) with a 140mm 650b Pike. SC Solo carbon.
    It required internals exchange though...

WilliamK:
    Yep, I specifically wanted the Pike and it had to be as close to 130mm as possible (for my liking). And I definitely didn't want 150mm, too much for me - just wouldn't suit the balance with the rear travel and the geo all round (unless you just do gravity I suppose, but then, get a Bronson and smash it). I like 150, I love the Bronson, but it is too high and too long and a wee bit heavier. Even 140mm for the Solo seemed too much on paper, but there is no other fork available in the market anyway, I had one short ride and all is good, very very good. Wow in fact.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Yeah so like I said in a previous reply, the weight and price increase of the Pike over the Revelation just wasn't worth it to me, regardless of how low I could get it to go. I'm sure the Revelation will be fine.

mtbr member

Yeah so like I said in a previous reply, the weight and price increase of the Pike over the Revelation just wasn't worth it to me, regardless of how low I could get it to go. I'm sure the Revelation will be fine.
    I hear you.
    I just wonder if the Pike really performs much better than the Revelation. It might be worth the price and weight penalty for some.
    I am also a light rider, so the difference in stiffness and tracking might not be as pronounced.

mtbr member
    What was your before and after weight?

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    What was your before and after weight?
    Before what?

It is currently 27.9 lbs. I just switched back to the direct mount TRS chain ring and ditched the 104 BCD spider/chain ring.

mtbr member
    You can get a Pike down to 140 mm pretty easily if you have the right person working on it.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    You can get a Pike down to 140 mm pretty easily if you have the right person working on it.
    Thank you for being vague. I'm sure I could have done the conversion myself, but honestly I wasn't keen on buying an entirely new cartridge and I don't much like the idea of unnecessary extra weight up front.

Plus I'm fairly sure that there will be a 140mm Pike for 2015.

mtbr member
    It's only 74g difference between a 650b Revelation and Pike.
    New air shaft is $40.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    It's only 74g difference between a 650b Revelation and Pike.
    New air shaft is $40.
    That 74 grams would put me over 28 lbs. I'm happy with the bike the way that it is.

mtbr member
    Thank you for being vague. I'm sure I could have done the conversion myself, but honestly I wasn't keen on buying an entirely new cartridge and I don't much like the idea of unnecessary extra weight up front.

Plus I'm fairly sure that there will be a 140mm Pike for 2015.
    Not vague. There are dozens of people here on the forums with 140 mm Pikes. Anyone that can tear into a RockShox fork can adjust it. Glad you have your bike set up the way you want it though.