Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz Sale

96K views 563 replies 172 participants last post by  ColinL 
#1 ·
#105 ·
Hey Santa Cruz!!
THANKS for the chance to buy one of your frames for an extremely killer price! I think this was a great way to promote your company and to let SOME people get lucky enough to ride a kick but carbon frame for what a lot of people pay for aluminum. You may read here that some people think your company now sucks and is going thru some growing pains. They have obviously never been to a true "sidewalk" sale. They are usually (unless you are at the Kohl's sidewalk sale) a goat fornicator. But that is half the fun. You may luck out, you may not. They also have never learned to let their eggs hatch before buying the carrots and potatoes for the great chicken stew they are going to make. I completely understand that you normally do not sell frames online and that it may not go perfectly smooth when you decide to try it using deeply discounted pricing. So PLEASE, ignore the hater's and the negative attitudes and PLEASE do this again next year. I am sure WE here on this forum will learn our own lesson and be VERY grateful the next time you decide to blowout some frames.
Thanks from a loyal customer
J

#115 ·
Parking lot sales happen every year. I live near Intense and have watched that sale. Some people with cash in hand, who know what they want, get some great deals on older models of stuff.

That's exactly what a wider audience is getting here. I'd been looking at a TRc for about a year and ordered it immediately upon seeing the sale. I also ride a less popular size. It looks like I lucked out.

People who got orders in quickly seem to be getting them. It is unfortunate that some inventory was not updated quickly enough. Some people got out of stock cancellations, but they really aren't out anything. I ordered parts without a shipping confirmation knowing there was a risk I would have to do returns. I also feel like I received great communication from SC during the process.

I really hope people don't sour a positive opportunity. I hope SC does this again in the future. I imagine they will update the inventory process. This is a hell of a lot better than a real parking lot sale.

#173 ·
Santa Cruz Bicycle doesn't practice good customer service. They don't care about their international customers with regards to having their VPLS, just pure business and sales. For as long as they are able to dispose all their 2012 model frames who gets them, legitimate bikers like you and me or EBAY/AMAZON/PINKBIKE businessmen, they don't care. Perhaps they should have also contacted their international distributors to spread the benefits of the sale to international customers like us.

A friend of mine here in the Philippines just bought a TRc frame last June 2012 at a regular price of around $ US 2,700.00. Boy oh boy he was totally pissed off when he learned of the sale (frame costs only US $ 1,500.00.). His frustrations grew even more when he learned he is not allowed to order another one for his girlfriend because the sale is for Canada and US customers only. But after the Santa Cruz frames overflew in EBAY/AMAZON/PINKBIKE and sold at least 20% higher, both of us became totally devastated. We have decided not to patronize Santa Cruz bicycles anymore here in the Philippines and would try out Specialized, Yeti, Scott or Ibis Mojo instead.

#181 ·
:smallviolin:

I'm not trying to be an ass, but its pretty clear that you really don't understand business operations or sales what-so-ever. Why don't you go ask folks in the UK or EU how much they pay for a FRAME and then tell me if you're still pissed you got one at the US MSRP. Quit ****ing whining and go ride something else . . .

#206 ·
hey guys just a heads up. i got this email response:

Thanks for the email.

Well, the Parking Lot sale is down, not because we’re out of frames, but because we had some system errors and a handful of folks got the wrong product.
We do have some XL Blur XC’s left, and we’ll go live with the sale hopefully early next week…

Stay tuned!

Thanks,

#449 · (Edited)
That's because there is no difference in rolling diameter between a 650b 2.0" tire and a 2.35/2.4 26". Heck... the same width tires have all of 5% more diameter.

I could say more, but it's just ammo for the anonymous neg reppers... :lol:

EDIT: this comment now makes no sense with 2 prior comments being removed. I don't know why they were removed, but whatevs...

#5 ·
aw man, the nomad is an XL only! 1590 is a steal for the nomadc---it would be sweet if they were clearing out some AL frames for us cheapo's as well (i'm thinking it would be at least a few hundred cheaper than the c).

c'mon chainlove!

#7 ·
You bastard! I never would have found this on my own, and now my wife is going to kill me.

I just ordered one of these. I really can't afford it right now, but I've been wanting one of these and couldn't pass up the deal. I just have to convince my wife that selling my old frame and fork and some other parts will pay for most of it.

I prefer the new colors that just came out (solid white or black), but this one looks nice too. The 142x12 rear might be nice, but not really a big deal to me. I could convert my rear hub to a 135x10 thru-axle if I feel I need it.

I have the parts I need to build it up, except I need a fork. X0 2x9 drivetrain with twist shifters, XT brakes, ZTR Crest wheels, Thomson seatpost and stem, Easton EC70 bars. I might eventually upgrade to 2x10, but the old 9-speed X0 drivetrain is still working great.

I'd like a fork that I can use with the 26" wheels, but also have the option to use a 650b wheel/tire if I want to in the future. Any recommendations?

Attachments

#58 ·
I have owned a Tallboy for a year and love the bike. But have been tempted by 650B TRc for a while. Do you think it would be too much overlap? Is the Trc going to be too close to the Tallboy?
I am 5'9".
I don't know, but I just bought the TRc frame to find out. I also own a Tallboy, which I love. I'm 5'7" and have wondered whether 650b might just fit me better. I also have been riding a 2006 Epic Marathon 26er and find the smaller wheels are a lot more fun in certain ways, although not as good through the rock gardens.

Compared to the Tallboy, the TRc has 1" more travel and has a slacker geometry, so it should have a different feel. It also has shorter chainstays. I expect it to have a more playful feel, quicker acceleration, and be more tossable than the TBc. It should also be easier to get the front end up and over obstacles. On fast rocky descents it might be a wash between the smaller wheels with more travel and slacker geometry and the bigger wheels with less travel. The TBc will still roll through rock gardens better -- I don't think the extra travel makes up for the bigger wheels in the rock gardens.

I'm initially building my TRc as a 26er since I already have the wheels and tires. I think big 26x2.4 tires will provide some of the benefits of 650b and gives more choices in tires. Eventually I'd like to try the 650b experiment, which will probably put it closer to the TB, and it could possibly even replace the TB. With a set of burly 26er wheels & tires for rough trail riding and set of lightweight and faster-rolling 650b wheels & tires for racing or smoother terrain, the TRc could possibly do it all.

#21 ·
very tempting...

anyone have any opinions on whether I should get a Trc to replace my blur LT carbon? Or am I silly? I have read/researched this a bit, but the $1500 price and that they are still 135mm rear axle makes me pretty keen....replies appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.