Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz Sale

96K views 563 replies 172 participants last post by  ColinL 
#1 ·
#39 ·
Interesting that so many are still listed on the sale. You'd think they'd pull the plug if the demand were selling them out so quickly.

Is the Nomad the only one that's been cancelled for anyone (the facebook page shows one cancelled as well) or have other orders been dropped? Since those aren't available on the sale page anymore.

EDIT: I someone has had a Large Heckler cancelled as well... also no longer listed online. Hopefully they are keeping the sale up to date.

#40 ·
Yeah, not very good business. I'm guessing that most of the people who bought the Nomad frames that sold out quickly were people who follow them on facebook or were browsing the website. Way to tick off a bunch of loyal Santa Cruz followers! Maybe they just need to leave the bike sales to their dealers (who also are probably not happy about this sale).

#42 ·
It is kinda weird that the site would take orders for non-existent inventory. I mean, I'm no sales expert, but isn't the inventory a pretty automatic calculation? As soon as "add to cart" is clicked, shouldn't it have updated the inventory?? I don't get it . . .

A nice move on SC's part would be to offer those who DID order and submit payment a nice discount on the current gen frames.

#44 ·
It is kinda weird that the site would take orders for non-existent inventory. I mean, I'm no sales expert, but isn't the inventory a pretty automatic calculation? As soon as "add to cart" is clicked, shouldn't it have updated the inventory?? I don't get it . . .

A nice move on SC's part would be to offer those who DID order and submit payment a nice discount on the current gen frames.
Agreed, I think that would be a good move but so far all I've heard was a basic "your order has been canceled" type email.

#52 ·
Yeah, for a moment their site didn't have the "VPLS" on the page. I had to hunt in my computer history for the order page. Thinking they might have run out, I completed the order. After that the "VPLS" link was up again.

Strange. It worked to make me pull the final trigger. I wish it hadn't done that. Now my wallet is lighter.

#67 ·
Anyone had a blur TRc order cancelled? I ordered a small last night for my girlfriend, and called SC and they said they could not confirm whether or not my order would actually go through! Kind of annoying since I have to wait to order the fork and everything else. I asked the SC lady when this might go through and she said she had "no idea" and it could be a week. I hope this isn't how SC customer support usually is, as this is my first SC frame.

#68 ·
Anyone had a blur TRc order cancelled? I ordered a small last night for my girlfriend, and called SC and they said they could not confirm whether or not my order would actually go through! Kind of annoying since I have to wait to order the fork and everything else. I asked the SC lady when this might go through and she said she had "no idea" and it could be a week. I hope this isn't how SC customer support usually is, as this is my first SC frame.
I've been put off by Santa Cruz so far, it would have been my first purchase from them.

Placed order on Monday evening, called Tuesday morning to confirm, the lady, Lisette, didn't have a clue about anything other than my order being accepted in the system. Anything you asked about the VPLS sale or inventory, she directed me to the email on the page (and said it's not her department), which was a general info@santacruzbicycles.com.

I emailed them on Tuesday morning too after the quick call, only to get a response from Lisette to the email I sent. But wait, I thought this wasn't her department.

Overall, I'm unamused about the VPLS sale, and definitely not impressed with Santa Cruz as a company thus far. This will make me think twice before getting a frame from them.

What did they expect when they released the sale online, of course it's going to be a lot of interested parties, so why not set up a merchant's site with real time inventory and not just taking credit card info, accepting and confirming orders, when in fact they don't have the inventory to sell. :nono:

#70 ·
I imagine they are doing each order one-by-one and it will take a while. Probably a separate department than the people who are shipping stuff out to dealers regularly. Maybe even one guy processing all the sale orders. If they say it will take a week that could mean two weeks.

#72 ·
I can say with certainty from experience that their product support once you have the bike is excellent and not something I'd be concerned about. It is quite apparent, however, that direct product sales is not their specialty.

#75 ·
Awesome to hear that they're shipping some out already. I ordered an XL TRc and really hope it gets shipped without a problem.

Credit is due to Santa Cruz for giving us this opportunity even though there may be issues with the process. This definitely isn't part of their core business so there are bound to be some hiccups.

#76 ·
Ordered a black medium butcher last night and this morning I got a call indicating the 2 day shipping I selected isn't available at the price the site had listed. I was told due to a computer glitch, the shipping cost were incorrectly displaying. Additionally, the black butcher was replaced with a red one without me knowing until I asked to confirm my order. Apparently, their inventory must have been overwhelmed due to the large volume of online orders.

Needless to say, I went ahead and ordered the red one. About 4 hours later, my confirmation from UPS indicates the frame has shipped and should be arriving this Friday. Side note, I'm about 6 hours away from them here in So Cal.

#77 ·
TRc Medium

I placed an order for a TRc M this morning. I believe there where only 2 left at that time, since it was the max I could put in the basket.
I did not want to miss the deal, but now I am not sure if I shouldn't cancel the order. I have a Tallboy which I like and have been playing with the idea of 650b TRc. But since there are many nice 650b specific bikes coming in near future - Intense, Pivot... I am beginning to doubt my purchase.
Do you think the TRc is going to be too close an overlapping with the Tallboy?
I am 5'9" and can see the potential benefits of 650b.
On the other side, 1.5K really is a great price and if I don't like it I can always sell it later...
Hmm, decisions...
BTW, order still pending.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.