Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz Sale

96K views 563 replies 172 participants last post by  ColinL 
#1 ·
#5 ·
aw man, the nomad is an XL only! 1590 is a steal for the nomadc---it would be sweet if they were clearing out some AL frames for us cheapo's as well (i'm thinking it would be at least a few hundred cheaper than the c).

c'mon chainlove!

#7 ·
You bastard! I never would have found this on my own, and now my wife is going to kill me.

I just ordered one of these. I really can't afford it right now, but I've been wanting one of these and couldn't pass up the deal. I just have to convince my wife that selling my old frame and fork and some other parts will pay for most of it.

I prefer the new colors that just came out (solid white or black), but this one looks nice too. The 142x12 rear might be nice, but not really a big deal to me. I could convert my rear hub to a 135x10 thru-axle if I feel I need it.

I have the parts I need to build it up, except I need a fork. X0 2x9 drivetrain with twist shifters, XT brakes, ZTR Crest wheels, Thomson seatpost and stem, Easton EC70 bars. I might eventually upgrade to 2x10, but the old 9-speed X0 drivetrain is still working great.

I'd like a fork that I can use with the 26" wheels, but also have the option to use a 650b wheel/tire if I want to in the future. Any recommendations?

Attachments

#58 ·
I have owned a Tallboy for a year and love the bike. But have been tempted by 650B TRc for a while. Do you think it would be too much overlap? Is the Trc going to be too close to the Tallboy?
I am 5'9".
I don't know, but I just bought the TRc frame to find out. I also own a Tallboy, which I love. I'm 5'7" and have wondered whether 650b might just fit me better. I also have been riding a 2006 Epic Marathon 26er and find the smaller wheels are a lot more fun in certain ways, although not as good through the rock gardens.

Compared to the Tallboy, the TRc has 1" more travel and has a slacker geometry, so it should have a different feel. It also has shorter chainstays. I expect it to have a more playful feel, quicker acceleration, and be more tossable than the TBc. It should also be easier to get the front end up and over obstacles. On fast rocky descents it might be a wash between the smaller wheels with more travel and slacker geometry and the bigger wheels with less travel. The TBc will still roll through rock gardens better -- I don't think the extra travel makes up for the bigger wheels in the rock gardens.

I'm initially building my TRc as a 26er since I already have the wheels and tires. I think big 26x2.4 tires will provide some of the benefits of 650b and gives more choices in tires. Eventually I'd like to try the 650b experiment, which will probably put it closer to the TB, and it could possibly even replace the TB. With a set of burly 26er wheels & tires for rough trail riding and set of lightweight and faster-rolling 650b wheels & tires for racing or smoother terrain, the TRc could possibly do it all.

#21 ·
very tempting...

anyone have any opinions on whether I should get a Trc to replace my blur LT carbon? Or am I silly? I have read/researched this a bit, but the $1500 price and that they are still 135mm rear axle makes me pretty keen....replies appreciated

#25 ·
Ever since I saw the sale prices last night, I've been thinking of picking up another frame. Even though I believe my 2010 white Butcher will outlive me, I've always wanted a Superlight for XC. I think I spent around $1150+ $115 extra for the high volume RP23 with boostvalve/Butcher frame, in June 2010. Great bikes IMO.

#28 ·
Standard dropout.
In fact, that's probably the reason why they are blowing out these frames with these super discounted prices.
A couple of years ago right before the Blur LT went to tapered Head Tube and only painted frames, chainlove.com sold a bunch of anodized straight Head Tube Blur LTs for like 50% off MSRP. This time I guess Santa Cruz decided to do the sale themselves.

#38 ·
Well this sucks, my order was cancelled due to "overwhelming demand"
Mine was cancelled as well (large nomad)! Really lame. I already had other stuff on the way for it. You think they could have had the inventory correct. Pretty disappointed.
I knew I wouldn't be the only one. It's a shame though. I really wanted the frame. I blame their website for these problems. Seems they were taking orders and giving confirmations for inventory that never was there to begin with.

#36 ·
Man, when I saw this I started to drool! But instead of click click, I had a Sierra Nevada Beer Camp limited release Oatmeal Stout, took a deep breath, and said to myself, self, your Nomad will do just fine :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the 2013's though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.