Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm

Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-my18_hero_nomad_sand_xx1_web.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-my18_hero_nomad_blue_xe_web.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomad_ink_detail_4.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomad_tan_detail_1.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomad_ink_detail_3.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomad_ink_detail_2.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomad_tan_detail_3.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomad_tan_detail_2.jpg

Features
    • 148mm Rear Axle Spacing
    • 170mm VPP™ suspension
    • 27.5" wheels
    • Angular contact bearings maximize stiffness
    • Bolt-on shuttle guard and downtube protector
    • Collet axle pivots lock in place without pinch bolts
    • Double sealed pivots for long bearing life
    • Forged upper and lower links
    • Full carbon frame and swingarm
    • Internal carbon tubes ensure precise and hassle-free routing of derailleur and seat post cables
    • ISCG-05 tabs for chainguide compatibility
    • Molded rubber swingarm and downtube protection
    • Recessed lower link protected from rock strikes
    • Single grease port on lower link for swift and easy maintenance
    • Threaded Bottom Bracket

The Nomad's reputation is built on consistently pushing the envelope of how DH a bike can get while still remaining usable on most trails. With each iteration we nudge the travel and geometry further towards the outer limits, and each time we surprise ourselves at just how completely rideable the end result remains.
    The fourth generation design sees a dramatic shift to the lower-link mounted shock configuration. This is the first time that learnings from years of V10 development have translated across to one of our trail bikes.
    The shock rate is now almost completely linear—which means feather-light small bump sensitivity right off the bat, a supportive midstroke and overall progression that you'd normally only experience on a DH bike. To keep the gravity vibe going we've ensured the Nomad can run both standard metric coil shocks and lighter air units to suit any preference.
    Full shock compatibility creates challenges when trying to cram everything into the precious bottom bracket area. But the continued evolution of our carbon tech means we're able to create a svelt, strong, swingarm/front triangle combo that's as much art as it is engineering.
    We even managed to squeeze in a flip-chip feature on the lower link too. Think of the high setting as "regular", the way the bike's mostly meant to be ridden, and the low setting as being closer to full on DH status.
    To handle all this new-found capability the geometry has adapted too. It's longer and lower-slung than ever to ensure maximum stability and confidence on absolutely everything.
    The whole package is crowned with a raft of subtle yet essential details. Bolt-on downtube protectors and shuttle guards act as a helmet for your frame—a replaceable front line against abuse. An integrated shock fender has also been added to keep crud out of the suspension.
    The crowning glory of the Nomad, however, has been in the making longer than the frame itself: the all new Santa Cruz Reserve carbon wheels. Spec'd exclusively on the Nomad for now, you can read more about how these wheels came into being right here.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/nomad

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Excerpt regarding the revised suspension

Observations:
    • The 2018 Nomad has a progressive leverage ratio with a total frame progressivity around 37%. It lacks the characteristic initial "regressive" leverage found on previous editions, thus the initial travel will be slightly smoother and it will have more mid-travel support.
    • Will function well with either an air or coil shock. Santa Cruz ships the bike with zero volume spacers in the air shock as testament to the progressive nature of the frame.
    • Great pedaling efficiency with 100-120% anti-squat values on most rear cogs for a 32-tooth chainring. On smaller cogs the anti-squat can rise up to 150%.
    • The amount of chain growth and pedal kickback are within normal values considering that the bike has a good pedaling efficiency.
    • Anti-rise of 80%, meaning that the geometry is quite unaffected under rear braking.
    • Overall, the new Nomad is a progressive enduro bike with good pedaling efficiency.

Source: 2018 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1 Reserve - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    So I guess just ride the bike but don't look downwards

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    After reading the first look/impressions I'm good with my N3. The one thing that I was wanting on the N4 was the flip chip to make it good for trail riding, then switch it to bike park riding.......they went the other way. Flip chip is bike park mode/downhill bike mode. I can see a lot of bikes being sold to those who frequent bike parks and buy this instead of a full blown downhill rig. I see a lot of people riding at bike parks on V10's and after owning one for a very short period I would prefer this over a V10. The V10 for me was overkill on the buffed out, high banked turns, table top flow trails that a lot of the bike parks have now. It was so hard to maintain speed on the V10 and I was constantly pedaling to keep the speed up. On my N3 it took far less pedaling to maintain speed, and was quicker handling and easier to pop off the jumps.

N4 sounds like a great park bike.....but a trail bike no more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    V3 to V4 evolution

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    deleted...finished reading the sentence that was confusing me...

mtbr member
    I think the Ink/Gold bike looks good, and I bet it's even better in person. I don't really think this is a mass market trail bike but the N4 could be great as a park bike when you have a Hightower or upcoming HT LT as your trail bike. But who needs a $9000 XX1 Eagle carbon CC park bike? If your going to really race DH, get a top of the line V10. If your going to race enduro get a new HT LT. The cheaper alloy frame version with top of the line suspension is the way I'd go for the perfect Keystone, WP, Anglefire ripper.
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

mtbr member
    Nice job on the colors SC.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That sand colour is awful. The ink blue looks okay though.
    I'm sure it'll descend like a beast though!!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Looks great to me, the sizing and geo changes are minimal. The alterations to the suspension are IMO the big deals.

Not enough to make me swap out my only two season old V3 though, unless someone has a couple spare grand they want to throw my way.

This bike isn't going anywhere though, for those worried about it like other "mini-dh or freeride" bikes of the past. They're going to sell a shit-ton of these.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

banned
    Oct 2004
    Why does the Driver 8 come to mind?

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by calvingsc View Post
    V3 to V4 evolution

180/180 on this girl...at about 32 lbs and armored to the gills.
    Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-p5pb14725419.jpg

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Very indifferent about the N4. The only thing I like is the reach increase. They departed enough from the N3 to really make me appreciate mine. Looking toward a Bronson or Altitude now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool bike but kind of confused as to the bikes general purpose.

Now with flavor!!
    It's practically identical geometry as the last one, just with a size shift. And 5mm more travel. It's not that different from the last one except where it matters. With better midstroke support and steeper seat tube, it should climb BETTER.

I don't know why everyone saw a place for the last one but not this version. Unless you were on one of the size extremes and couldn't buy a bigger or smaller size, it's basically just a better working gen 3.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Id say they nailed it. Ditched the regressive part of the curve, maintained HA so you can still get around switchbacks, moved CG down w/ shock placement, increased reach. Just try not to kill yourself overcooking corners!

believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm sure it's a ripper but not a fan of the color combo and overall it looks like a GT. The Juliana version with the slightly curved top tube and brighter color looks much better IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This is unfortunately one of the worst looking bikes SC has made in a long time, especially compared to the Nomad V3, which is gorgeous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I'm sure it's a ripper but not a fan of the color combo and overall it looks like a GT. The Juliana version with the slightly curved top tube and brighter color looks much better IMO.

I said this as soon as I saw them both on Pinkbike

Hate the Nomad colours and I had cash waiting for a new frame too, shame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What's the max dropper insert measurement ?
    What's the smallest chainring it will take before the chain starts slapping against the CS?
    What's the frame weight?

I too don't like the colors. Kinda blah.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Funny thing is N4 is the bike I wanted when the N3 came out, I saw the prototype with the v10 style linkage and was mad that they didn't make that bike, I had a Driver 8 and a Nomad 2 with push link at the time, now after being on the N3 for two years I have a hard time seeing myself parting from it, its such a good one bike.

Currently I have a N3 and I switch back and forth between vivid air and monarch plus depending on trail, also have a Darkside 180 single crown with coil shock for big bike stuff. I rarely ever ride my Darkside, I always just end up pedaling my N3 everywhere and riding everything I would ride my Darkside on.

The N4 I'm sure destroys the N3 going down, which intrigues me a lot because I loved how my Driver 8 felt, just the weight and outdated geo was hard to live with.

I understand how people aren't liking the appearance of the bike, especially the colors, I'm surprised on the no black option. I really love my N3 because of its down capability but also because I can use it more as an all around one bike solution, I don't see the N4 as a one bike solution, but I love the direction SC took with it, they did go in the right direction with it. If the Bronson could get a touch more progressive leverage ratio I don't think people will really miss the N3 as much.

mtbr member
    The new N4 is the Nomad I've been waiting for. The N3 was a great long travel trail bike, but it just wasn't plush in rough terrain. It took big individual hits really well, but not successive high speed terrain. I've been riding a new Pivot Firebird lately and it is amazing on a full on DH course, but still capable of climbing back to the top. This is what I'm expecting the N4 to be all about. Should be building our demo N4s this week.
    Pivot Firebird
    Hightower 29
    Tallboy 3
    Pivot LES SS
    Salsa Beargrease C
    Giant TCX

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There will be a small percentage of folks that can really ride this bike to it's full potential, and a large percentage that will buy it because it's a Nomad to ride buff trails.

I love all the bitching.

This is what a ton of people have been asking for on this and other forum for...a while.

...but...but...the color! Whaaaaa!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    It took big individual hits really well, but not successive high speed terrain.
    Why is that exactly? Is it not something that can be fixed with a custom shock tune?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Why is that exactly? Is it not something that can be fixed with a custom shock tune?
    The goofy leverage curve. The ratio DROPS on the rebound stroke so that the wheel is imparting more relative force into the ground at topout. The wallowy midstroke also let it blow through it's travel far too easily. So in successive hits, you're already buried far to deep into the stroke, up against the really (overly to be honest) progressive part at bottom out that just had nothing left and hence starts to bounce the bike around.

A good coil shock with a good ls comp damper with a functional blowoff makes this better because all the negative traits designed into the frame are just exacerbated by an air spring (sticky top end, loose midrange). It's still not as good as it could be though. But good damping can keep you from blowing though that soft midrange as easily and a coil just has less to compensate for since it's a very linear stroke from the coil spring and not an air chamber.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    My N3 with an Mrp Raze coil rear shock is awesome on repeated hard hits

I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just out of curiosity, how many parts could I swap over from my Nomad 3 if I were to buy a Nomad 4 frame?

The website says "compatible with metric sized shocks". Does that mean I have to use a metric shock or would the DHX2 from my Nomad 3 fit?

What about the rear hub? I'm assuming the new bike is boost. Would my current rear wheel with an adapter work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Check if you have compatible hub here: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/boostinator - I don't know of any other company doing such adapters, conversion is not trivial as you need to move both cassette and brake mount outwards - or re-dish the wheel.

You also should get bust specific crankset - it has slightly different chainline.

Metric and imperial shocks are not compatible in any way, though adapters might work in this situation (imperial shocks are smaller - so you would need to simply extend it a couple millimeters, assuming stroke is identical or at least similar). No idea if anyone makes those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In this YouTube video https://youtu.be/toBMKGLgq9U Steve Peat is shown running the Fox Float X2 for the rear shock. It's definitely possible, we just need more details.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Areanfsl View Post
    In this YouTube video https://youtu.be/toBMKGLgq9U Steve Peat is shown running the Fox Float X2 for the rear shock. It's definitely possible, we just need more details.
    Thats a Metric sized X2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The goofy leverage curve. The ratio DROPS on the rebound stroke so that the wheel is imparting more relative force into the ground at topout. The wallowy midstroke also let it blow through it's travel far too easily. So in successive hits, you're already buried far to deep into the stroke, up against the really (overly to be honest) progressive part at bottom out that just had nothing left and hence starts to bounce the bike around.

A good coil shock with a good ls comp damper with a functional blowoff makes this better because all the negative traits designed into the frame are just exacerbated by an air spring (sticky top end, loose midrange). It's still not as good as it could be though. But good damping can keep you from blowing though that soft midrange as easily and a coil just has less to compensate for since it's a very linear stroke from the coil spring and not an air chamber.
    I put a Push 11/6 on mine after the first month. Problem more than solved.

That upgrade, along with IBIS carbon 35 ID wheels has made for the perfect one-bike quiver for 2 1/2 years. The only thing I don't like is the short reach.

I predict well-specced N3's will continue to hold their value well. Nothing in SC's current 27.5 lineup comes close, including the Bronson. But if they N4-ize the Bronson.... look out!
    Last edited by SCJG; 06-01-2017 at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Dunno. It's just not doing it for me. I was really excited to see what they would come up and maybe even upgrade my N3. I was kind of hoping for something a little more versatile. More of an N3 upgrade, something that would extend the range on both the XC and DH side. This is looking like less range and way closer to the DH side of things. I guess it makes sense from a company perspective. Takes out the overlap that the Bronson and Hightower have. I would love to put my leg over one and see how well it would do on my normal trails as well as steep super gnar, but I'm not about to dive into it. As far as how the bike looks and the colors it's not that bad. I'm sure it looks a ton better in person. It has too. If it was the bike I was wanting I'd put up with it for sure. Oh well, I still love my N3. Saves me a bunch of $ too.

Would love to se some reviews from folks doing all day efforts with more technical climbing. All the reviews seem DH focused with maybe some fireroad climbs. Maybe some real world reviews would change my viewpoint. Kind of funny how every review needs to take about 1/2 the review with the same dredged up marketing details.

Why even bother with the flip chip? it's less than .5 degree of geo change. I guess it's nice to have that option. How cool would it be if one mode was more trail ready and the other mode was more DH worthy? You probably wouldn't swap things around mid-ride but on shuttle/lift days you'd have the N4 and on peddle/trail days you have the N3.

Why not Fox options? Kind of spinning the dice that these new RS shocks aren't going to blow up. I can't tell you how many Monarchs my buds have gone through on their Nomads. Add another $600 to that price tag to pick up a DHX2. Good luck selling mystery metric only RS shock.

Anyone notice that the frame+shock weight went up 1 pound? Not that it's a huge deal for that kind of bike.

I noticed that the medium N3 and the small N4 have almost the same geo numbers. I'm pretty sure I'd have to go to a size small.

I do like some of the touches. Shock guard, shuttle guard, rear PM brake mounts, shorter seat tubes for longer droppers, and yes I DO like the water bottle cage.

That's all!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I was kind of hoping for something a little more versatile. More of an N3 upgrade, something that would extend the range on both the XC and DH side. This is looking like less range and way closer to the DH side of things.
    Yup. I'm still riding a MK2 Nomad. I thought the MK3 was a bit more bike than I needed and the MK4 is way MOAR bike than I need. I kind of always liked how versatile the MK2 was. It went from XC to trail to AM without complaint.

Anyways the Mk4 looks great if you want/need a park/freeride bike. That's not anyone I ride with.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Yup. I'm still riding a MK2 Nomad. I thought the MK3 was a bit more bike than I needed and the MK4 is way MOAR bike than I need. I kind of always liked how versatile the MK2 was. It went from XC to trail to AM without complaint.

Anyways the Mk4 looks great if you want/need a park/freeride bike. That's not anyone I ride with.
    So assuming you mostly ride trails that the bronson/hightower are fine with, what exactly do people think the downsides of the new nomad are?

A bit of extra weight and cost don't bother me. Would you expect launching off of small features to be harder? Bunny hops? Rock gardens? Less feedback/more dead feeling? I'm not racing the clock, but I do enjoy pushing myself to see how fast I can manage a given piece of trail.

Better small bump compliance, less midstroke wallow, and a more progressive shock curve all sounds good to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    So assuming you mostly ride trails that the bronson/hightower are fine with, what exactly do people think the downsides of the new nomad are?

A bit of extra weight and cost don't bother me. Would you expect launching off of small features to be harder? Bunny hops? Rock gardens? Less feedback/more dead feeling? I'm not racing the clock, but I do enjoy pushing myself to see how fast I can manage a given piece of trail.

Better small bump compliance, less midstroke wallow, and a more progressive shock curve all sounds good to me.
    This is all e-speculation at this point because we only have a handful of reviews all riding trails that are fireroad up w/big downhills. Nothing resembling the type of riding I have in the Boston area. To me this bike looks awesome for what it's designed for. Fireroad climb or shuttle or lift to the top and hammer through anything on the way down. I'd love to try this bike on the TWE or do laps in Whistler Valley or Squamish. I'd love to try it on the lifts. I'd love to try it on our trails just to see how it performs but there's no way I'd buy one w/o trying it or at least getting some real world reviews from folks riding the type of trails I ride. So here are my fears with the N4.

The suspension is designed using the V10's linkage ratios, which is awesome for high speed DH and big hit stuff. To make it peddle-able they add gobs of anti-squat. What this does is makes small bump worse as the bike is now less active when peddling. Fine for seated fire-road climbs but not great for technical and punchy out of your seat climbing. What I like about the N3 is it's quite plush all around but has great midstroke support (I am running coil) so I can hammer in and out of the seat and not get beat up by the rocks. That's my complaint with the Bronson is it's not as compliant on the chunky ups and downs as the Nomad, and not nearly as plush on the faster gnar. Finding that balance of plush/compliant but still having good peddle-ness is tricky, and I like the balance that the N3 has.

It's not all about the suspension though. The N4 is longer and is reported to put your weight more forward. Again, this is great for DH but not great for ups and downs and tight spots. It's probably not something that would make much difference when slogging up a fireroad. So more effort overall with slower technical riding and punchy trails.

To be honest I think the N3 is just on the edge for the type of trails I ride. Any more bike and your working way too hard. That's probably the crux of it right there. I'm not overly concerned about an xtra pound but add that to the suspension changes, xtra travel, and geo changes and you end up with a bike that just not great for the trails you ride day in and day out.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post

The downside is that it probably makes flattish trails feel pretty tame. Other than that, my gut tells me this pedals better and descends better than the N3. The N3 (which I had a long love affair with) had the highest leverage at the sag point so it was very plush while in the saddle. With the straighter leverage curve of the N4 is should have a playful character and may pedal better as well. All speculation at this point and personally I am waiting for the new long travel 29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    nsmb.com posted their review and were impressed with the technical climbing ability of the N4

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    [QUOTE=Salespunk;13193062]The downside is that it probably makes flattish trails feel pretty tame. Other than that, my gut tells me this pedals better and descends better than the N3. The N3 (which I had a long love affair with) had the highest leverage at the sag point so it was very plush while in the saddle. With the straighter leverage curve of the N4 is should have a playful character and may pedal better as well. All speculation at this point and personally I am waiting for the new long

I like the low center of gravity my Evil Insurgent has with the shock set low on the frame, looks like the new Nomad is simular with there shock placement.....plus in my opinion.

I see this bike being us full were I ride in the pnw which has long log Rd climbs with steep raw fall line trails. The one bummer for me is its not a 29er. My Hightower has got me loving the big wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    I understand how people aren't liking the appearance of the bike, especially the colors, I'm surprised on the no black option. I really love my N3 because of its down capability but also because I can use it more as an all around one bike solution, I don't see the N4 as a one bike solution, but I love the direction SC took with it, they did go in the right direction with it. If the Bronson could get a touch more progressive leverage ratio I don't think people will really miss the N3 as much.
    Agreed. The N3 is my best bike for going big and can be ridden around town well, plus having a gorgeous look that I love. For my riding I can't ask the N3 for more. I understand the scientific necessities SC claims for the new design. But do they forget that aesthetics is also another big factor that they're known for? How many SC fans are willing to pay almost 10 grands for this weird, GT-looking new bike? And oh, those two-decade-ago color choices... SC should better pay attention to how Scott and Intense paint their frames, sorry, just my opinion.

I appreciated SC's brave decision to push the Nomad burlier bike employing lessons learned from V10 in terms of suspension kinematics, but I really don't understand why they threw away lessons learned from their previous bikes in terms of beauty?

I think many ppl in this thread already have their own answers regarding the look of the new bike. But we still have to wait for more reviews and demo ride report to better know how the newmad really feels though. My guess is that it must be plusher than N3, but not sure if that's enough to convince N3 owners to buy.
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C XX
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1

mtbr member
    Makes me really glad to own the Pivot Firebird (before I get flamed, I also have a SC HighTower). Pivot FB is super sessy and pretty much offers all this bike offers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Will have to get a demo of this bike in during Crankworks this summer. It'll be nice to do a lap on my V10C then a Nomad lap. Be even nicer if I'm able to ride both the medium and large frames.
    Sorta bummed about no 29er though

mtbr member
    Ratboy and his 50to01 gangster with the N4

Now I'm expecting official N4 video commercial. Anyone knows about this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The downside is that it probably makes flattish trails feel pretty tame. Other than that, my gut tells me this pedals better and descends better than the N3. The N3 (which I had a long love affair with) had the highest leverage at the sag point so it was very plush while in the saddle. With the straighter leverage curve of the N4 is should have a playful character and may pedal better as well. All speculation at this point and personally I am waiting for the new long travel 29.
    The recently posted nsmb.com is pretty good, not just a replay of the SC marketing materials. Mentioned "descends like a V10, climbs like a 5010", not quite of course, but pretty close. The riding wasn't in Italy (which was almost entirely downhill). Sure I'm anxious for more real world reviews and will make a road trip to SC after the test mules become available. Or maybe Roseville CA, or Reno NV if I can wait till Sept/Oct.

But a playful character sounds good. The new nomad pretty much checks off all the things I was hoping for. I was wondering about the max tire size, several reviews claim room 2.6" tires, but the SC website says 2.5".

In any case I expect the new nomad and the long travel version of the hightower should both be awesome. Can't wait to try them both.
    Last edited by spikebike; 06-02-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Minor correction

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post

Like GT Force

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calvingsc View Post
    Like GT Force
    (sigh)Agreed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyFreeman View Post
    I appreciated SC's brave decision to push the Nomad burlier bike employing lessons learned from V10 in terms of suspension kinematics, but I really don't understand why they threw away lessons learned from their previous bikes in terms of beauty?
    It seems you can't have it both ways

I believe next gen Bronson will look more Nomadish (like N3) due to fact they have to put longer shock in it. But that's just my guess.

Also, in my opinion, SC made terrible marketing decision by not calling 1st gen Bronson a Nomad, and then coming up with new name for heavy hitter. It looks people expect Nomad to be universal soldier and that's where Bronson and HT shine right know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    This is unfortunately one of the worst looking bikes SC has made in a long time, especially compared to the Nomad V3, which is gorgeous.
    Just curious. Which mountain bike would you pick? A gorgeous one that wasn't as good at climbing or descending? Or an ugly bike with an awesome suspension that climbed and descended better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strasznyzbigniew View Post
    Then they should've come up with better colors

I believe next gen Bronson will look more Nomadish (like N3) due to fact they have to put longer shock in it. But that's just my guess.
    Huh? Maybe a reborn N3 with 150mm of travel and 66 HA .

Sent from my hands using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't speak to be aesthetically. Fortunately, there are many great bikes that do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How many SC fans are willing to pay almost 10 grands for this weird, GT-looking new bike? And oh, those two-decade-ago color choices... SC should better pay attention to how Scott and Intense paint their frames, sorry, just my opinion.

. . . I really don't understand why they threw away lessons learned from their previous bikes in terms of beauty?
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't speak to be aesthetically. Fortunately, there are many great bikes that do.
    This^. This is carbon and they can shape it into whatever mold they desire. I get they are going for functionality but what happened to creating a work of beauty, visually, aesthetically. SC, this is your product and MTB buiz has become so competitive. Do you really want to be viewed as a company that does not care about the full package like it seemed you used to? Other companies can marry functionality with the artful craft of frame design.

Yup
    Can't have it both ways, other companies seem to do it both ways just fine. I wonder if SC just doesn't care. I hope this isn't a taste of things to come.

Then they should've come up with better colors

Huh? Maybe a reborn N3 with 150mm of travel and 66 HA .

so get a bronson and slap in a -1* headset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The bike looks great. If they do all their bikes like this Id be psyched!

believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    so get a bronson and slap in a -1* headset.
    No. I'll wait for Bronson 3

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like it!
    Could very well be a nice park bike or "big bike" in addition to a trail bike. Sure, a DH bike would probably do better, but the Nomad 4 is a much more practical package if you are not a racer looking for seconds.

mtbr member
    Gotta say, more I look at this thing, the more I like the looks.

And I told Salespunk earlier, I have to agree with kidwoo. This frame really isn't any different than the last one except for the 5mm difference in rear travel, and improvements in the leverage curve and reach numbers. 5mm difference doesn't suddenly throw this into a category different from the last one.

This won't apply to all, but how many of us with N3's had coils on the rear and were running 170mm 36's anyway? How would this N4 be any different than that setup? I really really loved that bike and regretted selling it for awhile. Almost makes me want to buy one of these, but my gut still feels this is too much bike for me.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    And I told Salespunk earlier, I have to agree with kidwoo. This frame really isn't any different than the last one except for the 5mm difference in rear travel, and improvements in the leverage curve and reach numbers. 5mm difference doesn't suddenly throw this into a category different from the last one.
    I agree on the 5mm, it's in the noise (3% more travel).

I am quite curious how much better the rear suspension is. More progressive could potentially be a pretty big deal. After all I think most would agree that SC makes good engineering decisions. The cost of the N3 -> n4 change to the rear suspension is pretty substantial. Moving complicated bits closer to the mud, puncturing (read that as weakening) the seat tube with a giant hole. I actually snapped my seat tube on my blur right where that hole is. On top of that unlike the N3, the N4 removes the drive side connection between the seat stay pivot and the chain stay pivot. Granted the blur and the bronson does similar, neither are designed to take the hits the N4 is. The N3 and HT have the seatstay to chainstay pivot connected on both sides.

So presumably if SC thought the N4 suspension was worth all those changes that it is pretty special. After all SC could have just increased the N4 reach a bit and called it good.

I graphed the high tower leverage ratio compared to the Nomad 4 and it is pretty surprisingly different. I can't find the leverage ratio info for the N3, but the HT vs Nomad 4 should be quite a difference.

The graphs are here (n4 then HT)
    http://p.vitalmtb.com/temp_photos/15...jpg?1496280329
    http://p.vitalmtb.com/temp_photos/91...jpg?1491506511

Assuming that the N4 pulls off the almost v10 like downhill and almost 5010 like climbing I'm quite curious about the downsides of having too much bike. I'm under no illusion that I can push the limits of any of the SC bikes, but what really matters is can the bike push me. I'm anxious enough to try the nomad 4 that I'd consider a pretty long road trip to try one.

mtbr member
    I would agree with both of you. The advantage of the new linkage is that it separates the leverage curve from the anti squat so that even with the progressive nature AS is still in the 100-120% range which should provide very good pedaling. I will say right now that once the general public reviews start to roll in, they are going to be gushing about it. This bike should be close to the holy grail of climbing/descending machines.

For the HT vs the N4, what you see on the HT is a standard VPP implementation of regressive/progressive. The net of that curve is a very supple bike at sag, but not much platform to push on during out of the saddle or sprint efforts. It won't be horrible in those situations, but it will rely a lot on damping technology in the rear shock. This is also why their bikes benefit so much from shock upgrades like the X2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Did anyone put an order in? (Confirmed with dates?)
    I put a deposit for the frame only option. According to my LBS it will ship sometime in September. Complete bikes first, then frame only.

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/vIrzYeGNLyw
    Not sure this have been posted already.
    Like the part after 19min

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    https://youtu.be/vIrzYeGNLyw
    Not sure this have been posted already.
    Like the part after 19min

https://youtu.be/1TZOyCCLRkg
    I did mean to post this one

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would agree with both of you. The advantage of the new linkage is that it separates the leverage curve from the anti squat so that even with the progressive nature AS is still in the 100-120% range which should provide very good pedaling. I will say right now that once the general public reviews start to roll in, they are going to be gushing about it. This bike should be close to the holy grail of climbing/descending machines.
    I eyeballed the leverage ratios from the vital mtb graphs so they could be directly compared:

Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-out.png

mtbr member
    I seem to remember that there was this much displeasure about the N3 when the 2014 release vid of the guys going up hole with the bikes strapped to mules. A lot of people that used the N2 as a do every thing bike said there's no way the N3 could fill that role better than the N2.

The N3 was what I wanted, more of a gravity bike to compliment my 29er trail bike. I had a tracerC which I had a -1 headset and longer fork to try to get the bike more N3 like Geo. I loved the bike but hated the dead hollow mid stroke which the N3 had to but not as bad. But the stock tracerC was closer to the N2 than the N3. The new tracer seems to be close match to the N3 with updated geo and better shock rate.

I really think the N4 will surprise most people with what it's capable of doing every kind of riding besides going down hill. Besides color and shock placement it seems to check off most riders wants. Different colors would go a long way to making it easier on the eyes. Besides people can tell you how ugly it is after the catch-up up at the bottom of the run. I can't wait for my back to be good enough to be able to handle the kind of riding the nomad is made for. Over all I really like the rebuild

mtbr member
    I put a deposit for the frame only option. According to my LBS it will ship sometime in September. Complete bikes first, then frame only.
    Really? I thought the bikes were supposed to be ready to go at dealers end of this week or mid June?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I took one for a parking lot spin yesterday.

Both colors look much better in person. The sand has no yellow hue like it looks in the pics, looks sick, like a military vehicle. The blue is less navy looking and more greenish than in pics, looks amazing as well.

Sitting on it and looking down at the top tube it looks almost identical to my Nomad3, same shape and taper, the reach on the large (I'm 6 foot) doesn't feel crazy long either.

Reading the early reviews you'd think it feels like a big heavy DH rig, but it's actually super nimble and pedals really well. It has no more pedal bob than any other longish travel bike I've been on (Tracer, N3, Evil Insurgent and others). You can immediately feel the low center of gravity when leaning it over in turns too, I really want to ride one on an actual trail, it seems like it will absolutely rail corners. Also the shorter chainstays feel awesome, I can't manual for shit and I was able to do short ones easily while I was screwing around on it.

When it was released on Thursday I thought it would be a cool bike for shuttles and Northstar laps. But after riding it around I really want one for almost all of the riding I do (Tahoe area) and possibly as my one and only bike. It's super impressive, don't trust all the journalists opinion about it being a DH only beast until you pedal one around. I'm definitely looking into getting one now, which is surprising to me cause I was starting to think I'd be on the shorter travel trail bike trend for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Really? I thought the bikes were supposed to be ready to go at dealers end of this week or mid June?
    Yes, for the frame only option. SC will start selling frames 09/01/2017.
    I contacted Scotts Valley Cycle Sport which is down the street from Santa Cruz and had the same response. SVCS IG story yesterday had a tan nomad they're unboxing and building.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocking_Crail View Post
    I took one for a parking lot spin yesterday.

Both colors look much better in person. The sand has no yellow hue like it looks in the pics, looks sick, like a military vehicle. The blue is less navy looking and more greenish than in pics, looks amazing as well.

Sitting on it and looking down at the top tube it looks almost identical to my Nomad3, same shape and taper, the reach on the large (I'm 6 foot) doesn't feel crazy long either.

Reading the early reviews you'd think it feels like a big heavy DH rig, but it's actually super nimble and pedals really well. It has no more pedal bob than any other longish travel bike I've been on (Tracer, N3, Evil Insurgent and others). You can immediately feel the low center of gravity when leaning it over in turns too, I really want to ride one on an actual trail, it seems like it will absolutely rail corners. Also the shorter chainstays feel awesome, I can't manual for shit and I was able to do short ones easily while I was screwing around on it.

When it was released on Thursday I thought it would be a cool bike for shuttles and Northstar laps. But after riding it around I really want one for almost all of the riding I do (Tahoe area) and possibly as my one and only bike. It's super impressive, don't trust all the journalists opinion about it being a DH only beast until you pedal one around. I'm definitely looking into getting one now, which is surprising to me cause I was starting to think I'd be on the shorter travel trail bike trend for a while.
    Happy to read this. I've been looking for a "Tahoe bike" as well, I've got a place at Northstar. I'm looking for a bike that I can ride at Northstar that will also pedal well and I can ride on the other trails around North Tahoe/Truckee. My LBS has a large in right now. I'm 6'2" and will probably be between a L and XL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by will j View Post
    Happy to read this. I've been looking for a "Tahoe bike" as well, I've got a place at Northstar. I'm looking for a bike that I can ride at Northstar that will also pedal well and I can ride on the other trails around North Tahoe/Truckee. My LBS has a large in right now. I'm 6'2" and will probably be between a L and XL.
    Me as well. Rockville (outside of fairfield), Auburn, and Tahoe are my most frequent rides. But I do make expeditions out to Downieville or even Moab on occasion. Now to find somewhere where I can ride the new nomad to be sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

For the HT vs the N4, what you see on the HT is a standard VPP implementation of regressive/progressive. The net of that curve is a very supple bike at sag, but not much platform to push on during out of the saddle or sprint efforts. It won't be horrible in those situations, but it will rely a lot on damping technology in the rear shock. This is also why their bikes benefit so much from shock upgrades like the X2.
    Considering the N4 to complement my HT. In the meantime, what do you think of the DVO Topaz vs the Fox X2 on the HT?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've been recovering from knee surgery for the past 5 months, and this nomad release could not have come at a better time! I fell in love with this bike as soon as I saw some photos of it a couple days prior to it's release and I knew it's without a doubt my next bike, very stoked.

A dealer I've been working with for a very long time now received 4 of them on Thursday, one of them happens to be exactly the build I want (CC, X01)... besides the reserve wheels, swapping those for custom laced wheels.
    The bike also comes with the coil super deluxe, which should be absolutely amazing, but I'm under the impression that the air shock would suit me better and bring some more life to the bike, am I just crazy for doubting the coil?

Also, how well do you guys think an Aluminum Renthal fatbar would match the tan color frame? or too overkill?
    jump for show,corner for dough

mtbr member
    Yes, for the frame only option. SC will start selling frames 09/01/2017.
    I contacted Scotts Valley Cycle Sport which is down the street from Santa Cruz and had the same response. SVCS IG story yesterday had a tan nomad they're unboxing and building.
    Did you order air or coil version?
    And if you went for coil, did they allow you to specify the spring rate?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Did you order air or coil version?
    And if you went for coil, did they allow you to specify the spring rate?

I ordered air. I don't know for coil, but i'm sure you can order a different spring rate as shown on the shock set-up section.

BTW, on one of the MTB journalist IG pictures (rodbardsley) someone asked about shock size and he replied, he's pretty sure its 230x60.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Also, for all those using coil, I'm pretty sure that the non-metric Vivid springs will fit just fine. 8.5/8.75 is the length you'll want, metric springs are a bit difficult to source for now.

For those running coil shocks on their previous generation nomads, has the spring rate charts on the santa cruz website been accurate?
    jump for show,corner for dough

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any N3 riders going for a N4, and going down a size? I'm on an XL N3, and if I bump down to a N4 Large, I'm getting a slightly shorter WB, and along with the chainstay the bike should feel really nimble.

Only challenge is that I'm 6'2" with very long legs, so I'm losing almost 2" of seat tube, but there is now a 170mm Reverb, so I gain back almost half.

Love my N3 but a slightly shorter bike would be appreciated, it's plenty stable for anything I've ridden down.

mtbr member
    Sounds like Joe Granny has much different take on new Nomad than the media:

Next generation Nomad? | Page 3 | Ridemonkey Forums

"A lot of the weight is in the shock, the metric shock with bearings in the eyelet weighs more, but feels good. the links got a little heavier too.

This bike climbs better than N3, I'd attribute a lot of it to the more support in mid-stroke so better pedaling position.
    True that 170 fork is not a 160 fork, and you prob don't want to down from what its designed around. We stuck the headset in the tube so bar height wouldn't increase, but if you don't like more travel and same stack this might not be for you.

Last generation was released in 2014, and the spirit of #enduro was with bikes like this then, our racers chose it over Bronson to race on that year (except CG, who preferred Tallboy LT). Since then, all of our racers have all moved to 29 for pure speed. Doesn't mean we don't think this is a fun bike though, its fast as **** - kind of ridiculous fun really. If your trails are smooth, it'll probably make them feel boring and this could be too much bike. If you have moar rox its amazing.

We don't imply its a freeride bike, but most of the media reports so far kind of lean that way because we brought them shuttling for 3 days in Provence area and in Molini, and didn't do a lot of pedaling, so thats the experience many journos got. There were no skinnies, hucks to flat, or train gaps tho."

I'm glad to hear this, I was beginning to think my N3 would be my last Nomad. Joe's comments give me some hope that maybe all those reviewers could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolson450 View Post
    Any N3 riders going for a N4, and going down a size? I'm on an XL N3, and if I bump down to a N4 Large, I'm getting a slightly shorter WB, and along with the chainstay the bike should feel really nimble.

Only challenge is that I'm 6'2" with very long legs, so I'm losing almost 2" of seat tube, but there is now a 170mm Reverb, so I gain back almost half.

Love my N3 but a slightly shorter bike would be appreciated, it's plenty stable for anything I've ridden down.
    If I were to make the jump I would downsize. I'm on a medium currently and it's a bit too long for me. The numbers on the small N4 are very similar to the medium N3 with the small N4 looking like a better fit overall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

What?? Its basically a N3 with 5mm more travel, better sizing, better suspension (progressive) and better climbing (seat tube angle). It DID get more versatile. If you want a v2, get a Bronson.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 06-05-2017 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm 6'2" and I rode a large around a parking lot on Saturday and it felt slightly cramped. I'm currently on an XL Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What?? Its basically a N3 with 5mm more travel, better sizing, better suspension (progressive) and climbing (seat tube angle). It DID get more versatile. If you want a v2, get a Bronson.
    This.

mtbr member
    I ordered air. I don't know for coil, but i'm sure you can order a different spring rate as shown on the shock set-up section.

BTW, on one of the MTB journalist IG pictures (rodbardsley) someone asked about shock size and he replied, he's pretty sure its 230x60.
    Noted. Thank you.

mtbr member
    I have seen complete's being unboxed at a dealer already so they are out there. My guess is there was a strong pre order prior to the release and the first few initial shipments have already been spoken for.

mtbr member
    Once people get the N4 on their home trails opinions are going to change dramatically. The N4 is more versatile than the N3 even with 5 mm more travel. It is really the bike that a lot of us with Push coils and 170 forks built on our own.

mtbr member
    Once people get the N4 on their home trails opinions are going to change dramatically. The N4 is more versatile than the N3 even with 5 mm more travel. It is really the bike that a lot of us with Push coils and 170 forks built on our own.
    I agree. Plus with more reach, lower center of mass, ability to fit a full size bottle and what sounds like a. better bearing setup.

If I was looking for a play/park bike I'd be mighty interested.

Getting on a 5.5c this spring has opened my eyes to 29ers though and for the time being that is all I'm currently interested in although I will probably demo a Nomad and Firebird to see if they light a fire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    I agree. Plus with more reach, lower center of mass, ability to fit a full size bottle and what sounds like a. better bearing setup.

If I was looking for a play/park bike I'd be mighty interested.

Getting on a 5.5c this spring has opened my eyes to 29ers though and for the time being that is all I'm currently interested in although I will probably demo a Nomad and Firebird to see if they light a fire.
    I'm in the same boat. N4 looks great but I will probably be 29 only going forward.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been feeling the same.

If you look at the "first impressions" on the N3 by all the media flown to Chile, they too only rode the bike downhill, but none of them were really raving about its climbing ability because they were shuttled everywhere. Just like the N4 launch. And the same with the video launches - everyone remember the mules and pickup truck video and the mocking that followed ??

Having owned the N3 with a Push shock and 170 RC2 for close to 3 years, I can honestly say it's one of the absolutely best tech climbing bikes I've ever ridden. And it continues to be the absolute most versatile bike I've owned (one bike quiver guy)

If Joe G and NSMB.com are correct, it sounds like the N4 climbs as well or better than the N3. If true, then this is truly the bike we've been waiting for. So lets wait to hear from real riders about their experience on this bike before we write it off...

nimble biker
    Is the nomad in same category as pivot firebird?

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I agree with you Salespunk, it is a evolution of what guys were "Pushing" on the N3.

I have to say, with v10 like suspension and bearing hardware on the shock, the small bump is going to be ridiculously good - a true flutter bike.

I think by inference that the comments confirm a bigger HT is coming. A lot of people are re-embracing the 29er. They take a couple of rides, for me, to dial in the turns, the bastard keeps standing up early on the fast exits, but once mastered there is no fun lost and much to gain. Then when I hop back on a 27.5, I end up turning too much and having to re-correct my technique.

The other draw back for rowdy 29ers is I keep buzzing my arse on the back wheel over harder drops and tricky jumps. So by my excellent rider feel, I know I am at max wheel size....

Interesting times for the market and where to put ones money re expensive wheels and forks etc....

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Is the nomad in same category as pivot firebird?

Oh god no. Not even close. The pivot firebird has something that puts it in an entirely different category when you really get into the details: pretty colors for grown-a$$ men to fawn over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I asked the vital reviewer about this, he's 6'2" as well.

Will J
    6/5/2017 3:51 PM
    Jeff, did you ride both a large and an XL? I'm also 6'2" and am wondering what size would best work for me. I'd be curious in knowing how you felt each size performed.

jeff.brines
    6/5/2017 3:59 PM
    Just an XL. I felt zero desire to try a smaller size. Personal preference for sure but at 6'2" I feel strongly you'd be most comfortable on the XL.

mtbr member
    As an FYI my shop guy called Santa Cruz to check on availability and he said they sold out all their inventory on the first day. Next batch will be in September. Frame only options are still on the table for September.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Why does the Driver 8 come to mind?
    I thought the exact same thing. All of the prior Nomads while certainly burly could do double duty as a "daily driver". You could technically pedal a Driver 8 around or the VP Free for that matter, but for the majority of the riders out there it wasn't that fun.

Hell, 15+ years ago I used to pedal a 40 lb long travel slack sled of a bike around. It was awesome when I took it to ride in BC, but outside of that not so much. Sure, the N4 weighs less (and costs way more), but I have a hard time imagining taking this on an mild XC/trail ride let alone one where there is a great deal of climbing. It seems like a ballzy move for SC to make a bike with such a narrow focus. Most companies on the contrary have gone towards making their longer travel offerings more multi-taskers. I hope it works out better for them than the D8 did.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. All of the prior Nomads while certainly burly could do double duty as a "daily driver". You could technically pedal a Driver 8 around or the VP Free for that matter, but for the majority of the riders out there it wasn't that fun.

Hell, 15+ years ago I used to pedal a 40 lb long travel slack sled of a bike around. It was awesome when I took it to ride in BC, but outside of that not so much. Sure, the N4 weighs less (and costs way more), but I have a hard time imagining taking this on an mild XC/trail ride let alone one where there is a great deal of climbing. It seems like a ballzy move for SC to make a bike with such a narrow focus. Most companies on the contrary have gone towards making their longer travel offerings more multi-taskers. I hope it works out better for them than the D8 did.

I don't see much difference between N3 and N4 considering the geometry.
    Yes, it is longer, but what used to be a large is now a medium.
    I upsized my N3 anyway, from M to L, at 5'8.5" the M was just too small for me.

There is only extra 5mm of rear travel.

There are reports out there, N4 can pedal and climb slightly better than N3...

So if anything, N4 might be a better all-arounder than N3.
    Let's wait for the reports.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As an FYI my shop guy called Santa Cruz to check on availability and he said they sold out all their inventory on the first day. Next batch will be in September. Frame only options are still on the table for September.
    Well, that's not good news.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A pretty good review up on NSMB, they got bikes on their local trails and comment a bit more on the climbing and general trail manner of the bike. Still sounds like a flip of the compression lever is ideal for climbing as mentioned in some other reviews

https://nsmb.com/articles/new-santa-cruz-nomad/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Regarding sizing: currently I have a N3 size medium and I'm waiting for a N4 in size medium too. I'm 170 cm and after some math, bike fitting, trying som different set ups on my TB3 too, I'm really sure, that a medium still is the right size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post

FWIW, I can't imagine taking any bike over 140mm on a mild XC/Trail ride, and would much prefer 120mm. At the same time, I'd much much rather be at the bike park than on a mild XC/Trail ride.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 06-06-2017 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that really sucks. Bummer. I was really considering trying to pick one of these up, simply b/c I loved my N3 (170 36 and Avy'd coil BTW) so much. Bike just killed it everywhere. I've even got Nox Farlow rims and new I9 hubs sitting on my bench I could use.

But September? By that time we should have some definite idea of when/what the details are of the LT 29'er coming.

mtbr member
    We emailed SC yesterday from the shop and they said first batch obviously was solid out but we could have a few complete bikes before the end of June.

Was wondering if those that are disappointed or not really interested in the amount of bike that the new nomad is if they are or would consider the new tracer? It seems to be closer to the N3 than the N4, right? At a quick glance the tracer looks like a more modern N3

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    We emailed SC yesterday from the shop and they said first batch obviously was solid out but we could have a few complete bikes before the end of June.

Was wondering if those that are disappointed or not really interested in the amount of bike that the new nomad is if they are or would consider the new tracer? It seems to be closer to the N3 than the N4, right? At a quick glance the tracer looks like a more modern N3
    I actually am seriously considering the carbine 29 when it comes out. Same bike as the tracer with the modified vpp leverage curve which seems to fall somewhere between classic vpp and lower link driven vpp and is a 29" to make it bash through even more stuff. Was really hoping this nomads would be 29 but no go and the Hightower LT (or whatever it will be) will still use the classic vpp curve. The Tracer is also a nice sounding bike as well and seems to fill the roll between Bronson and nomad 4 which now has a bigger gap.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast