Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    After having now spent a decent amount of seat time on the new Nomad with varied riding from trail, DH and Park here are some of my initial thoughts and how it compares to others I have owned.

The new Nomad 4 took a little while to figure out as I was not really sure what to expect but right out of the box when I spent the first mile on it I was shocked at how well it pedaled. Having had a 2017 Enduro and a 2017 Tracer I have some experience with long travel bikes. After spending my first day of climbing long double and single track it was clear that this bike has 0 issues with long pedal sessions or short sprints. The rear air shock with a few + clicks of LSC feels fantastic to me considering it's 170mm and even if it was 150-160mm of travel I would say it's still very good. Unlike the Tracer which needed sag reductions and shock changes to pedal well the Nomad really feels great with little to no changes from how I would run the shock in the bike park other than a few clicks of the LSC knob. On other long travel bikes that I thought pedaled well I would typically say "this bike pedals well for what it is" or " it pedals well for a long travel bike" but I think the Nomad 4 just pedals well period.

Climbing more challenging vertical trails in or out of the seat takes slightly more effort than a shorter, lighter bike as expected and the slack HA and long wheelbase will require you to be a little more mindful of how you attack technical ascents but I never found the Nomad to be a challenge that required more than just some small amounts of extra effort here and there to get the job done. Accelerating out of the seat was a pleasant surprise. Where I found the Tracer to feel like it soaked up a noticeable amount of energy when accelerating from slower speed the Nomad felt very responsive much like the Enduro but maybe a bit better. There are better climbing bikes obviously but I don't think anyone who wants a really killer climbing bike is shopping for a Nomad.

Going DH on this bike on rough technical trails or in the bike park was as expected. It is very much like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Many times I had to get on the brakes a bit more than typical because the bike just simply wants to go. The only limitation I really found descending in any terrain was with the pilot. There is no doubt this bike was designed for speed. It allows the freedom to make mistakes without much penalty as it smashes everything you point it at. I would say the description of a fun adventure bike is pretty accurate. It's not a enduro race bike like my old SB6c or a Park bike but a bike that really is a shit ton of fun to ride, if your goal is to have a shit ton of fun on some fast gnarly trails.

A few other random opinions. I think the bike fits me great "med @5'8". You get a really nice sensation of sitting in the bike and not on top of it which I like. The bike is surprising playful if you want to pop it off a rock or root while cruising along the trail. The Code brakes were fantastic in the park. The air shock has performed very well in all conditions so far. The bike is very quiet which I really like. Nothing is more frustrating than clunks and rattles while you are trying to concentrate while blasting down a trail. The Lyrik fork is super supple and feels best on the trail but I feel like the Fox 36 stays a bit more composed in really rough DH terrain. I hate Reverbs.. Total weight on my build with 366g pedals is 29.09 lbs. It has tons of tire clearance. I am running 2.6 DHF on 31mm internal and there is no question I could run a 2.8 if I wanted to. The Ink color and the bike in general looks much better in person than in pics.
    Attachment 1144766
    Beautiful bike! They really made the colors POP with the gold on the XX1 stuff, when I was going to order one I was definitely going to get the tan(my wife calls it the pantyhose bike lol) and try to do a desert storm thing, but I think I'd try to copy your colors. Nicely done. After you have a little time I've love to hear your comparison of the N4 vs N3 as well as the tracer, I have a tracer now. Is it really that much better of a climber of these other bikes? It seems like the tracer is getting terrible reviews for its climbing abilities and my first ride I didn't think so as well, I think I still can do a better job dailing in my shock by right now I think it's as good of a climber as the N3. It's not in the climbing class as my primer But it would be great to it climb as well it like some are saying about the N4. Please give us some more pictures of that beast in the wild and more reports
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Beautiful bike! They really made the colors POP with the gold on the XX1 stuff, when I was going to order one I was definitely going to get the tan(my wife calls it the pantyhose bike lol) and try to do a desert storm thing, but I think I'd try to copy your colors. Nicely done. After you have a little time I've love to hear your comparison of the N4 vs N3 as well as the tracer, I have a tracer now. Is it really that much better of a climber of these other bikes? It seems like the tracer is getting terrible reviews for its climbing abilities and my first ride I didn't think so as well, I think I still can do a better job dailing in my shock by right now I think it's as good of a climber as the N3. It's not in the climbing class as my primer But it would be great to it climb as well it like some are saying about the N4. Please give us some more pictures of that beast in the wild and more reports
    I almost got the tan one but at the last minute I changed it. I really think it looks great how it's setup. It has been years since I have been on the N3 but I did love the bike while I owned it. At the time I preferred it over the Bronson. The new N4 suspension is noticeably better as it should be considering SC has had years to improve on it. It is more supple off the top and has tons of grip but what really improved a lot is that it has greater support in the mid stroke. The new longer reach and adjustable geo is also really nice. I can't really imagine anyone going from a N3 to N4 and being disappointed. All of the things that made the N3 a great bike have just been updated.

As far as the Tracer you have to reduce sag to 25% to get it to pedal well IMO. The suggested 30% sag is great for riding DH but the bike is noticeably more efficient at 25%. Even then I feel the N4 is a superior pedaling bike. The Tracer is still a really good bike and fun but the N4 feels a bit more refined. I feel the N4 I can grab and go do just about any local trail ride without hesitation where as with the Tracer I would sometimes debate bringing a different bike depending on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    From the ones that are thinking about update from N3 to N4 (like me), do you think its possible to bring N3 closer to N4 putting a high end shock (FOX DHX2 or even 11-6) and a 170 fork on it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Neither shock will work. Fox does not make metric in DHX2. I would call them them and ask them to, and with enough consumer demand they will be forced to. As for Push, the 11/6 will not fit due to the reservoir hitting the frame. They mentioned possibly redesigning to make it work but it would be way out from now. And again the more people that ask for it, the more likely it is to happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLittle View Post
    From the ones that are thinking about update from N3 to N4 (like me), do you think its possible to bring N3 closer to N4 putting a high end shock (FOX DHX2 or even 11-6) and a 170 fork on it?
    I guess I didn't answer that correctly as I answered it for the N4. I have done all of the above and actually run a 180 on my N3. I would say it would be more aggressive and it would perform better, but I also think they are different bikes and you won't be making the bike like an N4, just a suped up N3.

mtbr member
    Metric Fox X2 and DHX2 are supposed to be coming soon. Metric X2s have already been seem in the UK, but not sure if in the same size as the Nomad...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Metric Fox X2 and DHX2 are supposed to be coming soon. Metric X2s have already been seem in the UK, but not sure if in the same size as the Nomad...
    Metric X2 can be bought already in Germany and a DHX2 can be made the right stroke and eye to eye easy enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Metric X2 can be bought already in Germany and a DHX2 can be made the right stroke and eye to eye easy enough.
    Care to elaborate on how to do that? What part/s would I need from Fox to do that? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    Care to elaborate on how to do that? What part/s would I need from Fox to do that? Thanks.
    I'd be curious about this as well. I've ordered my frame with the RS Air shock option, assuming I will buy a DHX2 soon as I can, and it will probably be the shock that stays on the bike.

Once I had the Avy'd tuned RC4 on my N3, it stayed and didn't ever come off, and the OEM Debonair air shock collected dust on the work bench. But with this new leverage curve of the N4, an air shock may feel pretty damn good and poppy, where the air shock on the N3 didn't feel good or match up well at all.

Maybe I will need to get both Fox variants and try to sell that damn stock OEM RS.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Now with flavor!!
    Where?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Check my post on the Slash 29 forum regarding a metric DHX2. I'm currently in the process of fitting one to my slash
    2017 Trek Slash details

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjackson_usc View Post
    Just heard back from Push that the Elevensix does not fit due to the bridge. Pretty bummed as I was holding on to mine with fingers crossed.

Any N3 holdouts looking for one send me a PM or check out Pinkbike.
    Wow, I'm kinda of surprised. One of their marketing points was that it was designed to fit all the shocks. They left out one of the heaviest hitters in the dentist builds.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by icantride View Post
    Check my post on the Slash 29 forum regarding a metric DHX2. I'm currently in the process of fitting one to my slash
    2017 Trek Slash details
    Gotcha. I'm looking for an air shock so spacing down the shaft would put the negative chamber exchange port in the wrong place. But certainly a good option for a coil. Thanks!
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Now that a few people have had some time on the N4, is it still a good all around trail bike? Some of the reviews make me hesitant. I'm on a Nomad 3 right now and I want to change mainly because it's too small for me. The medium N4 has a slightly longer reach than a large N3!

I live in BC and I like the Nomad because it's a good do-everything bike. I ride the North Shore, Squamish and occasionally in the Whistler Bike Park. I've been really happy with my current Nomad. I know the N4 would be an even better park bike and that's definitely something that interests me. My concern is that it won't be as good of a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Gotcha. I'm looking for an air shock so spacing down the shaft would put the negative chamber exchange port in the wrong place. But certainly a good option for a coil. Thanks!
    Woo,

Are you looking for a metric shock for a N4, or just in general for another bike? Just curious, as I know from your comments on RM it seemed you thought the N4 was a pretty solid bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Now that a few people have had some time on the N4, is it still a good all around trail bike? Some of the reviews make me hesitant. I'm on a Nomad 3 right now and I want to change mainly because it's too small for me. The medium N4 has a slightly longer reach than a large N3!

I live in BC and I like the Nomad because it's a good do-everything bike. I ride the North Shore, Squamish and occasionally in the Whistler Bike Park. I've been really happy with my current Nomad. I know the N4 would be an even better park bike and that's definitely something that interests me. My concern is that it won't be as good of a trail bike.
    From what few non media user reviews I've read, they definitely seem to indicate the N4 is just an improved N3, particularly Roman's thoughts in this particular thread. I think if you thought the N3 was good on your trails, the N4 will be even better, and with just more capabilities for the DH/park side of things. I could be reading into things wrong, but that is my take.

FWIW, I had an N3 with a coil rear and 170 36, and loved it. I've got an N4 on order.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah an air shock is going to be more difficult/impossible

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    “See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on. I got a little more sense then that.

...Yeah, I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch.” - Rick James

I love my N3! I'm not gonna get a Nomad 4, just to get it....but I'm not, not gonna end up getting a Nomad 4.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    Just put some money down on a Large khaki S kit. They said 2 weeks. I'm coming from the original Nomad C from 2011. Pretty excited over here.
    My S kit came in the other day and its being built right now! Should be done tomorrow, and hopefully I can get a ride in this weekend.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

I can't imagine anyone who is used to riding a 160+ travel bike not liking the N4. I have yet to ride any long travel bike I felt was a better overall trail bike. The only way I could see someone being reserved on the new Nomad is if they have never owned a long travel bike and are coming from a short travel trail bike or they ride trails that the Nomad would just be pure overkill on.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just heard from PUSH as well (super fast reply)

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, there is a clearance issue with the Nomad link and our reservoir. We are looking into options of re-designing our bridge for proper clearance. As of now, it is not a fit.

-PUSH

They are keeping a list to send out updates as they figure out a way/retro fit kit.

Let them know you want to put an 11-6 on your new N4! The more that ask the quicker it will be I am sure.
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where?
    Germany.

Now with flavor!!
    Germany.
    Right, you said that part.

Where in Germany, as in which stores? They have internet retailers too.

Now with flavor!!
    Woo,

Are you looking for a metric shock for a N4, or just in general for another bike? Just curious, as I know from your comments on RM it seemed you thought the N4 was a pretty solid bike.
    Yeah that's the bike (leverage curve) I've bitched about SC not making forever. And this is pretty much it. I won't get one until frames are available but yeah I see one in my future hopefully.

I've got a Transition patrol with the newer linkage that uses the same size as the nomad. So mostly just looking for one for the patrol for now, maybe nomad later. I'd build the nomad up a lot burlier and keep the patrol. I really like that bike a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Right, you said that part.

Where in Germany, as in which stores? They have internet retailers too.
    Bike components. Email them.

Now with flavor!!
    right on

thanks!

mtbr member
    Yeah that's the bike (leverage curve) I've bitched about SC not making forever. And this is pretty much it. I won't get one until frames are available but yeah I see one in my future hopefully.

I've got a Transition patrol with the newer linkage that uses the same size as the nomad. So mostly just looking for one for the patrol for now, maybe nomad later. I'd build the nomad up a lot burlier and keep the patrol. I really like that bike a lot.
    Nice! Yeah "Woo Approved" says alot. hahaha.

FYI, I just got ahold of Fox USA and asked about the metric shocks. All they would tell me is that they are working on them, but no ETA as of yet.

Now with flavor!!
    That reminds me. I'm due for my weekly fox harassment call.

They already make them for Norco ranges and rocky mountain slayers. If I knew someone with one of those bikes I'd just get them drunk and take advantage of their bike.

And man, I've posts on here like 10 years old whining about SC's leverage curves. Long travel trail bikes are made for descending too. I'm stoked on these things. Bout time!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Trek launched the slash with a X2 metric shock, same eye to eye as the Nomad but a different stroke. Fox achieve this with a stroke reduction spacer on the shaft. To say they are working on them is BS, they are out in the wild you just need to talk nicely to people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    To say they are working on them is BS, they are out in the wild you just need to talk nicely to people.
    You must've forgotten who you are talking to, Woo isn't capable!

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwdrums00 View Post
    You must've forgotten who you are talking to, Woo isn't capable!
    You hold a 12 year internet grudge with the best of them.

See? Compliment!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You hold a 12 year internet grudge with the best of them.

See? Compliment!
    Touche my internet buddy. Glad to see the new LC brought you back to the SC forum. We needed a little more RM style satire in here.

Now with flavor!!
    Commere and gimme a big kiss.

I'm family son!

Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-v10.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Commere and gimme a big kiss.

I'm family son!
    Daaaaammmn, look at you, I9's and SixC's. I thought you were still rocking a square tube DHR. I didn't see you @ N* last Sunday. I guess Livewire and Boondocks wasn't enough of a lure.

Now with flavor!!
    Heh. That was like 5 bikes ago.

I was at northstar sunday though. I was lapping the crap out of dogbone before it turns to loose hell.

mtbr member
    Anyone knows what max ring size the N4 can take?
    I think it's good to know this since Eagle drivetrain comes standard with almost all builds.

I can't find this info on SC website. It feels like SC tries to keep silent about the max ring sizes their frames support.

However I found this picture on MBAction review page, it is a stock 32t:
    Can you guess the possible max ring size support by just looking at it?

2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C XX
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm struggling a bit on sizing. I'm currently on a medium N3 and it's 100% too small. I'm 5'9 with short legs and a long torso.

The medium N4 has the same reach as a large N3 so it would be like going up a size if I stuck with the same size. I'm just worried about spending a bunch of money and still having a bike that is too small.

Seeing as this bike is primarily geared for descending, is anyone running it with a 35mm stem? Perhaps one option could be to get a large and run it with a 35mm stem instead of a 50mm stem?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    If your current bike is too small then get a bigger size. Yes you can run a 35 stem and it will work great. You can also slide your seat forward a bit to customize the reach. If you're running clipless then move the cleats back on your shoes and the seat the same amount forward. The longer wheelbase will add stability.
    If a bike is too small putting a 70+ stem or sliding the seat back both have negative effects on how the bike climbs and descends. FYI I've been riding bikes that were too small for me for the last 25 years. Finally built an XXL Tallboy and it fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    If your current bike is too small then get a bigger size. Yes you can run a 35 stem and it will work great. You can also slide your seat forward a bit to customize the reach. If you're running clipless then move the cleats back on your shoes and the seat the same amount forward. The longer wheelbase will add stability.
    If a bike is too small putting a 70+ stem or sliding the seat back both have negative effects on how the bike climbs and descends. FYI I've been riding bikes that were too small for me for the last 25 years. Finally built an XXL Tallboy and it fits perfectly.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's just that going from a medium N3 to a large N4 is a huge jump in reach. 415 to 460. The guys at the shop insisted that a medium would be better, saying that my center of mass would be too far back and I'd wash the front out on a large. I don't know though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's just that going from a medium N3 to a large N4 is a huge jump in reach. 415 to 460. The guys at the shop insisted that a medium would be better, saying that my center of mass would be too far back and I'd wash the front out on a large. I don't know though.
    I am a similar height and also have a longer torso, I had a medium N3 and now I have a 2017 medium Intense Tracer 275. I believe thats similar in size to a medium Nomad. My old N3 felt small, I always wished I had bought a large, then I had a Dune XR (that bike was great but I didn't like the suspension) then I went for a large Patrol carbon, I didn't get on with that at all. Now I'm on the Tracer I feel well at home, 35mm stem 800 bars and a 170mm fork. Feels just like a larger N3 to sit on, great size for me.

I am a persistent bike swapper and its cost me thousands chopping and changing but the size of this Tracer is right for me and the fun is back in biking after 2-3 years looking for the right feel/size of bike.

If I was buying a N3 I would go for a medium without question.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    They have a point that you would put less weight on the front. If you lower the bars you shift your weight forward. Wider bars also shift your weight forward. It's a balancing act. Too much weight on the front is a bad thing too.

The steeper the terrain the more weight shift forward there is. DH guys are running long bikes with super short stems. Flatter trails a medium would be better. Steep gnarly trails a large would feel more confident, especially at speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by will j View Post
    I'll be taking it up to Tahoe next week and riding it at Northstar and the trails around Truckee/North Tahoe.
    I'm considering the N4 for the same trails. Please report back on how it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was surprised to see the new nomad and LT HT has a max tire size of 2.5". Anyone tried a 2.6" or larger on their N4? Is so, please mention which rim/inner width and tire you used and how tight it looks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah, that's why I feel that my current bike is too small. I don't have problems with the front washing. I have the opposite problem, it tucks on me if I'm not careful to keep my weight centered.

I live on the north shore so our trails are steeper than average for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    They have a point that you would put less weight on the front. If you lower the bars you shift your weight forward. Wider bars also shift your weight forward. It's a balancing act. Too much weight on the front is a bad thing too.

The steeper the terrain the more weight shift forward there is. DH guys are running long bikes with super short stems. Flatter trails a medium would be better. Steep gnarly trails a large would feel more confident, especially at speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, that's why I feel that my current bike is too small. I don't have problems with the front washing. I have the opposite problem, it tucks on me if I'm not careful to keep my weight centered.

I live on the north shore so our trails are steeper than average for sure.
    Trust me a large would push you to the opposite extreme, a very light front end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    I was surprised to see the new nomad and LT HT has a max tire size of 2.5". Anyone tried a 2.6" or larger on their N4? Is so, please mention which rim/inner width and tire you used and how tight it looks.
    Go back to page 2 and see my last review and pic. Im running 2.6 with plenty of room left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Go back to page 2 and see my last review and pic. Im running 2.6 with plenty of room left.
    Ah, perfect, just what I was hoping. I didn't want to go up to 2.8" tires which seem to vary between too heavy and too fragile. But fitting a 2.6" comfortably is great.

Did you buy just the N4 frame? Your picture shows a fox 36 170mm?

I'm having trouble deciding between the Hightower LT (with the somewhat preferred fox36) and the nomad 4 with the Lyric. Although annoying only the XX1 HT LT has the F150 Factory, and even then I'm not sure if it's the HSC/LSC FIT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Pumped to hear. Makes me wonder if my 40mm enve's off my HT+ would work. I love this tire setup (2.8's) but would also love the bomber nomad!

mtbr member
    I am a similar height and also have a longer torso, I had a medium N3 and now I have a 2017 medium Intense Tracer 275. I believe thats similar in size to a medium Nomad. My old N3 felt small, I always wished I had bought a large, then I had a Dune XR (that bike was great but I didn't like the suspension) then I went for a large Patrol carbon, I didn't get on with that at all. Now I'm on the Tracer I feel well at home, 35mm stem 800 bars and a 170mm fork. Feels just like a larger N3 to sit on, great size for me.

I am a persistent bike swapper and its cost me thousands chopping and changing but the size of this Tracer is right for me and the fun is back in biking after 2-3 years looking for the right feel/size of bike.

If I was buying a N3 I would go for a medium without question.
    I agree with Dick Rapper, I was on a large nomad3 when I should have on a xl, at almost 6,2 it's was two cramped for trail riding. It wasn't my only trail bike so I lived with and only used it for certain rides. I also started DH with very small bikes so I was some what used to the experience. My long travel bike is the new tracer and like Rick said it's similar to the N4 in geo/sizing. I think you would have a hard time getting front wheel traction on flat corners and wouldn't benefit unless on the steepest trail. I've noticed with the new generation of longer Geos that it takes more effort to get the front wheel off the ground on a steep trail, because the front end is so far in front of you. It took me a few rides to adjust
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What exactly would be involved to swap all components from my current Nomad 3 to a Nomad 4?

The shock is different but that doesn't matter because the new frame comes with a shock.

Would I need a boost specific crankset or can my current crankset be adapted?

I will need a new rear hub.

I already have a Fox 36 at 170 mm so that should be fine.

Anything else that I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Would I need a boost specific crankset or can my current crankset be adapted?

I will need a new rear hub.
    What is your crankset? The ideal chainline is 3mm further out, but cranks can mount the ring outside the spider instead of inside, or just add spacers. Some BB's allow adjusting the chainline, but that's less than ideal since it moves the pedals not just the chainring.

New rear hub isn't strictly necessary, there are spacers for axle and disc brake if you want to try that. Personally I'd probably just buy a new hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cranks are X01 carbon cranks from 2015. Would probably go with the new hub as well.

It would be great if I could somehow adapt my DHX2 to the new metric sizing but I don't think that's possible.

What is your crankset? The ideal chainline is 3mm further out, but cranks can mount the ring outside the spider instead of inside, or just add spacers. Some BB's allow adjusting the chainline, but that's less than ideal since it moves the pedals not just the chainring.

New rear hub isn't strictly necessary, there are spacers for axle and disc brake if you want to try that. Personally I'd probably just buy a new hub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Keep your cranks. You'll just need a new chainring (boost 3mm offset) to prevent possible contact to the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    Keep your cranks. You'll just need a new chainring (boost 3mm offset) to prevent possible contact to the chainstay.
    Having the chain hang up when backpedaling is another common symptom of a poor chainline.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You can run a 6mm ring just fine. I switched to a 6mm on mine as I prefer the chainline.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any thoughts on the Nomad max weight? I'm 220 without shoes/gear and on longer rides I bring tools and 100oz of water. I noticed the rear suspension weight chart maxes out at 220 pounds.

The Hightower and Hightower LT both max at 280. Should rider+gear = 240 pounds stick to the hightower to keep within specifications?

I dream on two wheels
    Any thoughts on the Nomad max weight? I'm 220 without shoes/gear and on longer rides I bring tools and 100oz of water. I noticed the rear suspension weight chart maxes out at 220 pounds.

The Hightower and Hightower LT both max at 280. Should rider+gear = 240 pounds stick to the hightower to keep within specifications?
    The rear shock on my N4 says max psi 325 so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    There are a considerable number of people in my region (SE: N GA/W NC/E TN) riding long travel bikes everywhere, myself included. There are plenty of places around that warrant big bikes, but my point is that most manufacturers are making said bikes feel less like a pig when the going is less than extreme in transition or otherwise.

Sure, some are fortunate to own a quiver of bikes, but most do not. I could ride something with less travel, but on my day-to-day rides there are segments that I am more confident on a longer travel bike. Plus, on my bigger and nastier rides I have all the bike I could ever use. My last two bikes not only handled the gnar with aplomb, but allowed me to ride everything else without feeling like I was piloting a bulldozer around.

In the end, if the N4 does this meeting SC's stated goals of having it climb like a 5010 and descend like a V-10, it will do very well. The later seems more probable thanh the former if earlier reports are any indication. We'll see.

SC's claim comes pretty close to that in real life.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    A 2.8 Ikon+ mounted to a M60 27.5+ fits into the new G4 Nomad with no problem. Also a 34t ring looks like it will also fit. Thats a 32t on my bike now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-img_3921.jpg  

Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    A 2.8 Ikon+ mounted to a M60 27.5+ fits into the new G4 Nomad with no problem. Also a 34t ring looks like it will also fit. Thats a 32t on my bike now.
    Many thanks for the pic. For anyone else looking, the M60 rim is 23mm internal, 29mm external.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Many thanks for the pic. For anyone else looking, the M60 rim is 23mm internal, 29mm external.
    If the the M60 Plus rim as indicated then its 40mm id.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If the the M60 Plus rim as indicated then its 40mm id.
    Ugh, oops, I searched for M60+ and didn't find anything but the M60.

I stand corrected.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    My bad. Its a M Series 60 Forty + with a IRW of 40mm and a ERW of 49mm. I have a new Rekon+ that Im going to mount up and I will take a picture of that and show you guys!!!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Thought I read that this bike was going to be released in aluminum but I haven't been able to find that information again. Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    I'm running a skinny 2.25 nobby nic single ply @ the rear of my canfield balance and Im paranoid I'll explode it or tear it off on mild descents as my bike just likes to play and forces me to let go off the brakes anywhere.... I guess it would be the same with an N4... be careful with your line choice with these tires hahaha

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    Thought I read that this bike was going to be released in aluminum but I haven't been able to find that information again. Am I wrong?
    they hinted it somewhere.. no dates I believe

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i'd think I heard about a planned aluminum hightower. I'd be a bit surprised to see an aluminum nomad. Seems like every tube has a rather complex shape, and the bottom bracket area is rather tight, not to mention the tunnel for the shock.

The nomad's tend to be one of the lower volume SC models (thus the last to get boost and a modern geometry). I'd be surprised to see an aluminum nomad.

Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-p.vitalmtb.comtemp_photos1563full_scb17_triora_7248_191487-76d25ec780fa430e75c6a86480dd2931d3915.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've yet to see a review of the N4 that mentions using the "flip chip". Anyone tried it?

So far I've tried 4 SC shops looking for the Nomad. One has hightowers, but doesn't stock nomads, just special orders. Another doesn't carry SC any more (where I bought my blur). One has them at distant locations, but not local (but offered to move them). One shop (about an hour away) has 1, I hope to check it out Sunday.

Anyone in the central California area that wants to do a shuttle run with a N4, there's some for rent in Downieville CA. $120, but you get a full day with a new N4. I might try Downieville if SC doesn't add a N4 to the factory demo fleet soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The nomad's tend to be one of the lower volume SC models (thus the last to get boost and a modern geometry). I'd be surprised to see an aluminum nomad.
    1. From what I've heard N3 was their best selling bike ever.
    2. It was the first bike in SC lineup to get modern geo, it simply became outdated as more brands moved reach numbers even further. Some brands are afraid to push HTA to 65 even today.
    3. Boost wasn't a thing back then. I'm pretty sure Bronson/5010 were among first bikes to adopt boost with 27,5 wheels, if not the very first.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My conversion from N3 to N4 is almost completed. I am having some chainline issues now. I believe I need a 3mm offset boost chainring for my eagle cranks. Can anyone confirm what the stock bikes have on them? 3mm offset ring with one bb spacer on the drive side? That's what I am thinking I will end up with.

mtbr member
    My frame just showed up yesterday. For those interested, it weights 7.16 lbs.

That's for a large matte tan frame, air shock, seat post collar, and rear axle.

mtbr member

That's for a large matte tan frame, shock, seat post collar, and rear axle.
    Nice man - faster delivery than expected, right? Enjoy it and please share some pics

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    "If you brake...you loose!" Cédric Gracia // Yeti tribe Germany

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

That's for a large matte tan frame, shock, seat post collar, and rear axle.
    Air or Coil?

mtbr member
    Air or Coil?

Opps forgot that. Edited my original post, but it's got the RS air shock. I plan on putting an DHX2 coil on later on when Fox gets their act together and gets the metric versions available.

mtbr member
    I've yet to see a review of the N4 that mentions using the "flip chip". Anyone tried it?
    Yeah, I tried it this week on a rental. I did a few DH trails in both modes. Even did some climbing with it in low to see what it was like. It was better but not way better on the downs. I was hoping for a more significant difference. Fireroad climbing was fine but punchy trail climbing was a little wonky. If I were doing all day shuttles or DH park I'd make the effort to swap it, but I wouldn't do it mid ride. The chip is kind of small and could easily get lost in the leaves if your not careful. It's also a little tricky to swap.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I finally completed my Nomad 3 to Nomad 4 conversion.

Overall the build went quite well. Below you will see the parts and info you need.

Parts:
    • New 148mm rear hub or a boostinator conversion kit
    o Boostinator is slick, just requires a re-dish of you rear wheel. Was easy with the I9 torch hubs

• New upper headset assembly
    o The bottom headset bearing will work in the lower IS cup from the Nomad 3. The upper requires the new assembly/bearing to be IS compatible. Your fork race can stay on as well!

• Boost chain line offset chain ring 3mm
    o If you are on eagle you will need the 3mm offset chainring to push your chainline out. Otherwise you hit the swing arm. I actually also added a small BB spacer to go out a little further (2-3mm more)

Other fun tidbits:
    • Fishing the reverb hose through the frame was terrible. I had to take all the fittings off the hose to get it to pass through. Then I had to feed fishing line through to guide the hose down and through the tube entrance. Took about 1.5hrs.
    • Check your pivot grease and bolt tightness, I added more grease and tightened up the joints some.
    • You can pass your rear brake caliper through the lower triangle if you remove the shock
    • All the cable lengths worked out OK for me, didn’t have to get longer brake hoses or reverb hose
    • Rear brake bolts directly to the triangle with a 180mm rotor
    • Shock settings on SC website were about dead on for me

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Sounds about right.

On the dropper > What size frame do you have, what length dropper, and are you able to get full drop? I rented a small that had a 125mm dropper on it and I could realistically only get about 75mm of drop out of it. I tried pushing the dropper further down and ended up cracking the housing.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomadv4.jpgSanta Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-nomad4.jpgIts fun, plush yet playful and it pedals just fricken fine....so Rad

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a large frame with a 150mm dropper. I have no problem with the post, I actually had to cheat it up higher since the stand over is so low on this bike.

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NomadV4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	1147143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nomad4.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	1147144Its fun, plush yet playful and it pedals just fricken fine....so Rad
    Welcome back Brad. Nice bike!

I had a chance to demo one a few weeks ago. N3 sold and N4 on the way, similar build to yours.....and your summary of how it rides is bang on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Switched up my build to try out the coil. As much as I liked the bike with the air shock I find the coil to be a noticeably better option for this bike despite the additional weight.

Santa Cruz Nomad V4 MY2018 170mm-zztop.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Switched up my build to try out the coil. As much as I liked the bike with the air shock I find the coil to be a noticeably better option for this bike despite the additional weight.

Name:	zztop.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	1147291
    Can you further explain the differences you noticed? I have only ridden the coil so am curious

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    Can you further explain the differences you noticed? I have only ridden the coil so am curious
    Better mid stroke support and it feels better to me when landing off bigger hits. The bike feels a bit more composed overall when pushed hard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Yeah, I tried it this week on a rental. I did a few DH trails in both modes. Even did some climbing with it in low to see what it was like. It was better but not way better on the downs. I was hoping for a more significant difference. Fireroad climbing was fine but punchy trail climbing was a little wonky. If I were doing all day shuttles or DH park I'd make the effort to swap it, but I wouldn't do it mid ride. The chip is kind of small and could easily get lost in the leaves if your not careful. It's also a little tricky to swap.
    I flipped mine to the low setting and have been running it that way for a couple of weeks, but I've only been riding it in the park (N*) and shuttle (Downieville). There is a small but noticeable difference as it rides a bit lower. Haven't really climbed with it in low setting. I agree that it is a little piece and wouldn't want to do it on a trail, but it takes only a couple minutes in a garage to switch it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Better mid stroke support and it feels better to me when landing off bigger hits. The bike feels a bit more composed overall when pushed hard.
    How does the coil pedal vs air?

I am Specialized

Name:	zztop.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	1147291
    You switched to a new tan frame, to try the coil, from the ink frame with air shock?!!!
    Why not just change the shock on the existing built up frame?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomy63 View Post
    How does the coil pedal vs air?
    Both pedal great. The coil feels a bit better to me due to the improved mid stroke support.

Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    You switched to a new tan frame, to try the coil, from the ink frame with air shock?!!!
    Why not just change the shock on the existing built up frame?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    I wanted to try the tan also =)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123