mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Santa Cruz Nomad Sizing question

So I'm looking to pick up a used 2010 or up Nomad for my 14 year old son. He is currently 5'7" and 110lbs but he is going through a growth spurt and getting taller pretty quickly. I want to get him a bike he can use for a long time and not grow out of in a year or two. My question is if I get him a large that he can grow into could he ride it now or would I be better off getting him a medium that he can use for hopefully 3-4 years. I'm tempted to get him a tall so he can use the bike for a long time but I'm not sure the bike would fit him and work at his current height and weight. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Tough call not really knowing what he's going to jump up to in height and weight, but I'd think the large will definitely be a bit big at his current size.

I'm 5'10, 175, and I can make a medium work, but it's a tiny bit cramped in the reach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah. I want to get him a bike he can use now but not grow out of in a year or two. I have a feeling he is ready to go through a growth spurt. His inseam is 33" and he has long arms and legs if that helps any.

mtbr member
    Do you not have any way to get him on a similarly sized frame/bike and see if he can manage? Definitely a long inseam for his height - mine is 32"

I have a cousin in his 30's that is 5'8", same inseam as mine, and has been riding since he was 8 - he has always been on large frame bikes, mainly due to hand-me-downs, and prefers them.

I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to make a large frame work for your boy for the time being, especially with shorter components (stem, seatpost, cranks)

mtbr member
    FWIW - I'm 5'11" with 33" pants inseam and ride a large.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm 5' 10" and ride a large

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9 been on a Large Nomad for the my last 3 frames - my very first Nomad was a medium and I'd never go back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah he has really long arms and legs for his height so I think a large might work. Need to find a lbs that has a medium and large to see what works best but I'm leaning towards a large. Just want to get him something he can use for a while and not grow out of in a year.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's easier to make a larger frame fit a small person than a small frame fit a large person . . .