Illuminati

Which Santa Cruz for long day in the saddle XC rides?

After a couple of decades & change of riding 26in bikes I picked a bronson & I'm genuinely amazed, seriously impressed with that bike. I've had DH bikes that dont roll through the rough, rocky & steep local trails as well as the Bronson, yet its still an exceptional climber & carries speed so well on the flat this has got me thinking...

For my less severe, considerably longer, more pedalling & climbing xc rides I've got a 26in wheel, 22.5lb bike. but after getting used to the bronson it suddenly doesnt feel anywhere as efficient & fast rolling as the bronson, despite the bronson weighing a lot more.

at first I was considering selling the current 26er & putting the same lightweight parts onto a solo, but maybe I should be more broadminded? are the 29er shorter travel santa cruzs even faster feeling for XC purposes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    it's weird i felt the same fast rolling characteristic on both my sc's bikes. i have a tallboy with the xc geometry and a trc with 650b. the tallboy is fast and will climb some of the rockiest hills. taller riders or more aggressive riders are rewarded on 29ers. the trail bike geometry is more forgiving if you don't stay on your line. they jump better and carve corners better.
    the trc doesn't have the same giddy-up feel of the tallboy.

Warrior's Society
    80 miles/9600'/8:30 hours of ride time and my Tallboy was still just as comfortable as it was when I started.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    80 miles/9600'/8:30 hours of ride time and my Tallboy was still just as comfortable as it was when I started.
    If that's true, and you regularly pull out rides like that, I doubt the bike is really the main factor.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    If that's true, and you regularly pull out rides like that, I doubt the bike is really the main factor.
    Only a handful of them.

Not really....did a 70 miler on the Highball SS and it was not nearly as comfortable.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sunrise to Sunset: Oaks/B*/Sierra Peak/CHSP/Oaks near Orange | Times and Records | Strava

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Oaks/B*/Coal/Skyline/B*/Oaks near Orange | Times and Records | Strava
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

NedwannaB

Long live long rides!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Only a handful of them.

Not really....did a 70 miler on the Highball SS and it was not nearly as comfortable
    With suspension anyway. Yeah I should hope the TB would have you feel a bit more refreshed than the HB after the length of those rides. Maybe it has a better seat?

I'm building up a 650B/27.5" Superlight for the longer outings I do to complement my ht SS as well.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you've already got the Bronson, I'd get a Tallboy 2. That or a Ripley or a Jet9 RDO, depending on how much you love external routing and threaded BBs.

mtbr member
    If you already have a bronson, solo is very similar, I say go for a 29er. You will get more long day comfort with bigger wheels. And a good seat The tallboy rocks and you don't need to remove the crank to change a cable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Absolutely go for the Tallboy, scant. It's a fantastic cross country bike and I think you'll be surprised at how capable it is when things get technical as well. People love itů just check out the reviews here in MTBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How tall are you and where do you ride?
    Over 6"- get a Tallboy.
    Under 6"- get a 5010.
    Build either up with light xc parts.
    I have a 5010 built up light XC. It is 23 lb even- I could make it even lighter with carbon wheels.
    It climbs as well as any race FS bikes I have ever owned and does everything else much better. It does not feel like a 125-130mm bike to me. Just feels like a bike that rips!

mtbr member

Which Santa Cruz for long day in the saddle XC rides?

Another vote for the the Tallboy. I set out to do a 50 mi ride last weekend. I was rolling back into town and realized I felt really good: no aches or pains or major fatigue...and I still had water. Decided to knock out another 10 to hit 60 mi for my personal best mileage. Bonus was I set some PRs both uphill and downhill mid ride.

Love my Tallboy.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Man that makes sense! I like to ride my SS but it isn't nearly as easy to ride at My Tallboy. After a few hours on my SS I'm ready to go and find a place to eat and chill. SS riding is tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    How tall are you and where do you ride?
    Over 6"- get a Tallboy.
    Under 6"- get a 5010.
    Build either up with light xc parts.
    I have a 5010 built up light XC. It is 23 lb even- I could make it even lighter with carbon wheels.
    It climbs as well as any race FS bikes I have ever owned and does everything else much better. It does not feel like a 125-130mm bike to me. Just feels like a bike that rips!
    Hi bootsie_cat, mind sharing your build? That's lighter than I've seen before and I'm looking for a new bike wondering how best to build up 5010 for XC and rolling/rocky/rooty NE riding. I'd consider a 27.5 TBc if they had one but not as crazy about 29 wheels. Thx!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Size large 5010 with Fox float Kashima 130mm (from Santa Cruz).
    King headset and bb.
    Thomson Masterpice post
    Ergon carbon rail saddle
    Ritchey WCS stem 110
    Truvativ T40 15mm riser bars
    SRAM XX1 derailleur, trigger shifter, cranks, cassette, and chain, XX1 brakes and rotors.
    Wheels are Stan's Crest with DT 240 hubs- Dave Thomas built
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph snakeskin rear 2.25 and Nobby Nic 2.25 snakeskin front
    XTR race pedals
    23 lb 1 oz.
    Could be even lighter with lighter bars, grip shift, and a lighter saddle but I like what I am running.

mtbr member
    Nice build, bootsie_cat - really appreciate you sharing! Hope to get some SC test rides in again at my LBS once this snow in Massachusetts clears. I can handle the cold, but my trails just got 12" of snow. Maybe I should be looking for a fatbike instead

mtbr member
    The Solo/5010 is the perfect all day adventure bike. Great for XC and AM. I actually think the smaller wheels work better for longer rides since spinning up doesn't require as much effort. Excited to take mine on some epic rides this spring/summer/fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would vote for the TB-2. I have a TBLTc for chunk + junk, but the for over all quickness,easy handling I really like my TB-2, and yes I owned a TB-1 and the pedaling/ suspension is firmer and more linear on the 2. Its a great long distance bike IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a TBC-1 and even tough I don't have great endurance, I ride the MoCo 50 miler every year and I feel pretty good afterward. I really only have sore quads. I love the bike. By the way I'm 5'10" and a large Tallboy fits me like a glove. I know lots of folks who are under 6 feet tall riding 29ers and all of them are very happy. I'm going to build up a 29er for my soon to be 11 year old, I'll skip 26ers all together.

mtbr member
    I think that regardless of brand, for your requirements specify a 29er.
    Long day comfort, faster and better at XC are all 29er advantages. As far as rider height, if you are under 5'6" you may have a size problem with a 29er (though I rode with shorter guys and girls on 29ers).

Saying that 6' is the cutoff rider height between 29"/27" is out of touch with reality.

As far as specific bikes, when I demoed the Bronson and Tallboy there was a big Wow. Like you say the Bronson is the perfect bike for most of us. Demoed solo: Meh. Couldn't see a reason to get a solo over Bronson or tallboy. Nothing really wrong with it but the Bronson casts a big shadow.
    Even though I don't need more than 120mm suspension (I don't jump/drop more than 3-4') the Bronson seemed more dialed. Went with a tallboy because I like the bike make me look like I know what I am doing.