Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz Hightower

1M views 7K replies 712 participants last post by  cogswell23 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#61 ·
Ha ha, finally. We've been talking about this bike for 2 years now, and its pretty much exactly as expected!

Good to see ETT has been lengthened but not made super long like the new wreckoning. And great to see a nice steep seat angle.

Sold
On the note of STA, do Santa Cruz measure differently to Evil as comparing the geometry charts they're very similar. However looking at the way they measure it looks a little different.

In saying that, it "looks" steeper so it's a very appealing looking frame!

#65 ·
I'll ask SC on the ideal chainring. They come stock with a 30 tooth.

The Hightower rides just like a Bronson. Same plushness, descending abilities. Both are playful. Classic 27.5 vs 29er traits follow where the Bronson is easier to throw around in mid-air, Hightower holds a line better in ruts.

The Plus size versatility on the Hightower is a cool bonus as it is well-sorted!

#68 ·
First question: how do you think the climbing ability stacks up compared to the Bronson and 5010? I was close to pulling the trigger on a 5010 but had second thoughts as I think I'd rather go with a 29er than 27.5.

Second question: how is pedal clearance compared to the 5010?

Last question: Any scuttlebut on a lower-travel 29er coming soon?

Thanks!

#71 · (Edited)
I think this is equal in climbing ability to the 5010. Both have a great climbing position and not as much travel/sag as the Bronson. This one has better traction and it has better rocky/rooty climb ability.

Pedal clearance: This Hightower is 13.27 inch bb height while the 5010 is 13.1. Geometry on this Hightower can be changed with the Flip Chip and fork air spring change. So it can be raised according to needs and preferences.

Normally, two different forks are ideal, a 140mm and 150mm. If a rider wants to swap between the two and only have one fork, the easiest option is to use a 150mm fork all the time.

Low Travel Tallboy? No news but that is long in the tooth and folks are not buying that and racing it xc so much. So it should get updated this year!!

fc

#72 · (Edited)
some video

We plummeted down cliffs in remote areas with one thought in mind.... "DON'T GET HURT. YOU'RE FAR FROM HOME."

It was cool, specially on the last 10 minute singletrack downhill.

The race format was a 4 day Rally. Unlike Enduro, some uphills are timed. And not all downhill ones are. So there is a Downhill winner, uphill and Overall.

#80 ·
Ok, I know some "smarter than me" people already did the math. What's the geometry look like with a 160mm front fork in the low position with 29" wheels?

That's what's interesting to me. Otherwise, with the high chip this looks pretty much like an "ever so slightly" update of the Carbine 29. A touuuuch shorter chainstays, but that's about it.

#82 ·
It's gonna look slaaaack! :)

The baller setup right now among the employees seems to be put that stock fork in 150mm mode (chip at Low setting). So it slackens it may 66 degrees? Seat angle is slackened too but at least it starts out at 74.

This makes the bike rally ready and I think we're gonna see some of their racers use it like this in EWS this year.

#84 ·
2.8 plus tires. Like with Scott, it is not a bug, it is a feature.

Even if Scott and now SC say that 2.8 is superior to 3.0 (the reason, according to Scott, being that 2.8 "rides more like a normal tire") I think the most likely explanation is that the frame development was well underway when Plus emerged on the horizon.

But the bike looks nice, yes.

#89 ·
For a bike that's gonna thunder down the mountain at 40+mph and do air ballet, I think this is a good choice. The bike feels more nimble and the tire inertia is more manageable. Also, as tires add sidewall weight and get big knobs, it's got room for growth.

#88 ·
Absolutely. One thing cool with this bike is there's no restrictions really. The Flip Chip and 140-150mm travel fork were designed for the Plus tires but they can really be used for just 29er tires.

It can give the bike adjustable bb height for that West Coast, East Coast polarity.

#99 ·
Why didn't they call it the Tallboy LT? Because they said this bike is such a departure from that bike. The said every attribute of the geometry changed so it's not even the same bike anymore.

I put together a little sheet to analyze. That bike has changed. Styles have changed. Text Colorfulness Photograph White Line

#105 ·
Threw a leg over one this afternoon. It was a L frame, and I ride an XL TallBoy, but man, did the top tube seem low. Maybe it's just me, but it felt odd. Beautiful bike though. Looking forward to demo-ing an XL or XXL (if they even make one, didn't see it listed in the press release).

#122 ·
Wait, talk to me about this 150mm deal. I think that would take this bike to the top of my list over the Wreckoning.

So with the flip chip in the 27.5+ position, there *is* enough room to increase the rear wheel movement by 5mm?

I've already got a 200mmx57mm Cane Creek DB that is currently on my Intense Carbine. Already have the 160mm front 51mm Pike. Already have all the other parts. This would be a "BUY NAO" if this was the case.

-Tom

#125 ·
Personally I'd welcome the increased BB height.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Me too. 13.27" is not functionally feasible for CO/Front Range trails. I've lifted just about every one of my SC bikes of the VPP2 and3 flavor to avoid destroying cracks, pedals, rings, and denting/cracking downtubes.

Edit: I take that back. I tried to lower the BB of my Blur LTc by short shocking. It turned into something almost like a Blur TRc, but slacker.

#129 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before, too many threads on this new bike!

Why are the Arc 27 rims only 28 hole? Spokes break, at least they do for me. Never had an issue riding along on one less with standard 32 hole rims. Anything to be concerned about here? 180lbs w/o gear.

#133 ·
Too much typing on a phone for an indepth breakdown. But just imagine the Linkage fish hook plot: min is slightly higher, saddle *should still be at the same percentage of travel if not a little earlier, and the max will climb faster and stepper than the old curve...complemented well with the exponential progression of a smallish air can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.