Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,600 of 4839
    mtbr member
    I have an Elevensix on the HT at the moment and love it - it really is as transforming as everyone says. I also have an X2 on the way to try out so will report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I, especially with the possibility of getting a new link, just wish there was a shock where the user could change travel as easily as some forks allow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    New link isn't a guarantee. I wouldn't get too hung up on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower

Anyone else obsess about their cable tidiness?

https://www.facebook.com/MTBEU/posts/1340035026064251:0

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBooger View Post

Doesn't matter, that's optimal but a readily available offset will serve the purpose if no new link.

The dark side is quicker
    Sorry of I missed it, but has anyone actually ridden with a M/M tune shock?
    After reading though a lot of this tread, and searching various key words, I couldn't find anyone who did.

I did see a few people complain about "bad shocks" though, so that may be my issue?

Situation is...215lbs + gear and I have to inflate to 285+ psi go even get close to 30% sag and then the shock feels like crap (super stiff) when it gets moving. Small bump is decent, but not impressive and I do get frequent pedal strikes.

Im going to order a RC3 plus anyway, and then send the RT in for warranty, but what about L/L vs M/M tunes?

TIA
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Yeah SDMTBer, was just perusing through the Switchblade thread and noticed you are coming off the SB on to the HT. Curious on your reasons for change. Did you consider the 5.5 as well?
    I don't have a Pivot SB but that was in the running. In the end I didn't want the 157 hub and wanted to go a new direction as I have had a number of Pivots. Very happy with my choice but something about the HT isn't giving me the same traction on steep loose climbs. Strange because the STA is steeper than the 429 Trail. I don't have my oval ring on yet so maybe that is part of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    But your avatar...

Still have two Pivots - 2017 Firebird and 2016 429 Trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    I don't have a Pivot SB but that was in the running. In the end I didn't want the 157 hub and wanted to go a new direction as I have had a number of Pivots. Very happy with my choice but something about the HT isn't giving me the same traction on steep loose climbs. Strange because the STA is steeper than the 429 Trail. I don't have my oval ring on yet so maybe that is part of it.
    Ovals help. But from reading a ton of posts, it seems the bike does better w/ a better rear shock. The X2 is fantastic, but limited to ppl weighing around 220 and less...because of its 250 psi max.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    My first 3 rides without oval ring compared to now with oval ring makes hell lot of difference. Think the stock shock affects the descent more than climb. Looking to get X2 soon.

mtbr member

It should be, as well as XXL frame.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Ovals help. But from reading a ton of posts, it seems the bike does better w/ a better rear shock. The X2 is fantastic, but limited to ppl weighing around 220 and less...because of its 250 psi max.
    I can second Pau11y's x2 experience. Traction on techy, rocky climbs got much better when I got my x2.

mtbr member
    What do you recommend rear shock wise for the 220+ crowd?
    Old mountain bikers never die, they just add watts and amps to keep the thrill alive!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiptastic View Post
    What do you recommend rear shock wise for the 220+ crowd?
    DHX2. I think coils will work better w/ bigger riders. If you want ramp up control, something like a X-Fusion HLR coil also works well. I've tried on on the HT and it feels fine. And with ovals, you won't have too much pedal bob.

Or, if you want to stick w/ air, CCDBaCS? I've also seen someone on here w/ a Vivid Air.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For HT shocks you really want an EVOL or debonair. They play well on VPP.

Long shocked the HT is a beast. I have a DBair that ive run and its planted. I ended up with an X2, but that may change b/c I just picked up an intense spider for a 275 - and I'm thinking of HT being an enduro beast and the Spider the play/jump bike.

Have to quit braking parts first... bars, stem...

believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Hightower, 1 year later

It's been a year since I bought this bike. Still enjoy it! Over time changed a few items; carbon bar at 780mm, 35mm length stem, 26t chainring, XT ICE tech rotors. Went with a Roval carbon 29er wheelset and recently had Colorado Cyclist build a 27+ wheelset. Fork is still 140mm, just went with a 3.0 tire upfront. I prefer the bike in 29er mode, but the 27+ is a lot of fun. It really is like having 2 bikes in one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 25lbs&counting View Post
    It's been a year since I bought this bike. Still enjoy it! Over time changed a few items; carbon bar at 780mm, 35mm length stem, 26t chainring, XT ICE tech rotors. Went with a Roval carbon 29er wheelset and recently had Colorado Cyclist build a 27+ wheelset. Fork is still 140mm, just went with a 3.0 tire upfront. I prefer the bike in 29er mode, but the 27+ is a lot of fun. It really is like having 2 bikes in one.
    How was the bike handling in 27+ wheels with 140mm fork? Flip chip at high?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 25lbs&counting View Post
    I rock Roval Traverse SL Fattie 29's too...They're great super wide and light

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    26t Chainring..?? Wow. Is that like Grannie on steroids? I've often thought of what it would be like to go from 30t to 28t but.....26t...??? Say it ain't so!
    OMB
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    So I've finally decided on my latest and newest bike upgrade which most likely could be my last. After hours of reviews, research, questioning folks here, and demo's I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my new Santa Cruz HT C (Matte Carbon & Mint) in the 27.5+ mode. Riding those 2.8" tires over my current 3.0" was unlike anything Ive ever experienced. Not to mention going from a hardtail to FS! But the bike felt like BUTTER in my hands. It's getting a few extra "bells & whistles" added above the normal stock bike. After I pick it up on friday (crossing my fingers) I'll be sure to list what I'm adding. Nothing major. I appreciate all the great positive comments on all of your SC HT bikes here! It really helped make my decision much more easier.

Due date: 3/24/17
    OMB
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    So I've finally decided on my latest and newest bike upgrade which most likely could be my last. After hours of reviews, research, questioning folks here, and demo's I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my new Santa Cruz HT C (Matte Carbon & Mint) in the 27.5+ mode. Riding those 2.8" tires over my current 3.0" was unlike anything Ive ever experienced. Not to mention going from a hardtail to FS! But the bike felt like BUTTER in my hands. It's getting a few extra "bells & whistles" added above the normal stock bike. After I pick it up on friday (crossing my fingers) I'll be sure to list what I'm adding. Nothing major. I appreciate all the great positive comments on all of your SC HT bikes here! It really helped make my decision much more easier.

Due date: 3/24/17
    I hope all 3,600 posts helped you out!

mtbr member
    26t Chainring..?? Wow. Is that like Grannie on steroids? I've often thought of what it would be like to go from 30t to 28t but.....26t...??? Say it ain't so!
    With a 9-44 it works out to the same as Eagle on a 1x11

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    With a 9-44 it works out to the same as Eagle on a 1x11

Well 28 tooth with 9-46 1x11 would be closer, but the eThirteen TRS-r wasn't available when I did mine

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower

Oh, and where do you ride? Some of us here ride at 7,000+ feet with super steep extended climbs and are middle aged and out of shape due to 6 months of snow on the ground. XC skiing can only do so much, and fat bikes aren't allowed in Yellowstone National Park nor does the snow level enable it. By the way it is the same as a 22-36 on a double

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Thinking about some upgrades for my S build.

Rear Shock
    Wheelset
    Drivetrain

I've heard the DVO Topaz and some of the FOX EVOL stuff is good, but I think I could get a better experience out of the stock shock with some adjustment/tuning put in.

The wheelset and hubs are probably going to be the most noticeable improvement. I'd really like to find a used ENVE wheelset with DT Swiss, Chris King or HOPE hubs. I've heard the the rear hub is pretty important when delivering power to the wheel. I've also heard light bicycle, ibis and those carbon roval hoops aren't too bad. I'm seeing some ENVE wheelsets M70 with DT Swiss 240s for ~$1700, not bad?

The drivetrain would be cool to replace, but other than carbon cranks and faster shifting, I don't think it'd be a good way to spend $1k at this point. But I'd like an X01 Eagle setup.

What do you guys think?
    What trail is that?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    Oh, and where do you ride? Some of us here ride at 7,000+ feet with super steep extended climbs and are middle aged and out of shape due to 6 months of snow on the ground. XC skiing can only do so much, and fat bikes aren't allowed in Yellowstone National Park nor does the snow level enable it. By the way it is the same as a 22-36 on a double
    Don't let tough-guy chainring talk bum you out, man. Run what works for you and your terrain.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    How cool to ride Hightower like they did in NZ!

https://youtu.be/N7AK1vl5FXk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    How cool to ride Hightower like they did in NZ!

https://youtu.be/N7AK1vl5FXk
    That's some proper fun, screw the race. They are killing it on 29ers. Looks just as fun when they ride 5010s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Too funny!!!

NZ Enduro Day 2: The Nydia Bay massacre ? Dirty Nomad

"To try and distract myself from my own mental instability and catastrophizing, I resorted to EWS PRO Bike stalking, purely because the idea of watching the MTBR Hightower Forum regulars head’s exploding in a cloud of pink spray like they’re Marvin seated behind Vincent Vega holds massive appeal."

LINKAGE:

Santa Cruz Hightower-hightower-linkage.jpg
    "Unfortunately I was physically restrained as I tried to get my 6mm allen key out"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    I hope all 3,600 posts helped you out!

I'm not sure I follow your comment about the 3,600 posts as I only have a whopping 151. So maybe you have me confused with someone else. But the few I have made in regards to an upgrade have been quite helpful so thank you for the care Mikey!
    OMB
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm not sure I follow your comment about the 3,600 posts as I only have a whopping 151. So maybe you have me confused with someone else. But the few I have made in regards to an upgrade have been quite helpful so thank you for the care Mikey!
    There are 3,600 posts on this hightower thread, hopefully reading through them helped you out. cheers!

mtbr member
    Do you guys know if it's ok to use 15wt oil instead of 0w30 in Pike lowers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    I have an Elevensix on the HT at the moment and love it - it really is as transforming as everyone says. I also have an X2 on the way to try out so will report back!

Can't wait to hear about the differences. Is the X2 going to be a long shock or standard 51mm?

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower

There you have it just waiting for the official release..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppie View Post

Rear Shock
    Wheelset
    Drivetrain

I've heard the DVO Topaz and some of the FOX EVOL stuff is good, but I think I could get a better experience out of the stock shock with some adjustment/tuning put in.

The wheelset and hubs are probably going to be the most noticeable improvement. I'd really like to find a used ENVE wheelset with DT Swiss, Chris King or HOPE hubs. I've heard the the rear hub is pretty important when delivering power to the wheel. I've also heard light bicycle, ibis and those carbon roval hoops aren't too bad. I'm seeing some ENVE wheelsets M70 with DT Swiss 240s for ~$1700, not bad?

The drivetrain would be cool to replace, but other than carbon cranks and faster shifting, I don't think it'd be a good way to spend $1k at this point. But I'd like an X01 Eagle setup.

What do you guys think?
    I will give an opinion here, but it is just that, my opinion.

First do not pay the premium for Enve unless you just have to have Made in the USA. They are not as durable as LB/Ibis and provide no additional performance despite the massive increase in price. I would also stay away from Roval unless you are a lighter/less aggressive rider. While durable they do flex quite a bit (not in a good way) which makes for difficulty holding lines in rough, fast or off camber sections. My personal choice (having owned Derby/Enve and LB) is Light Bicycle laced up to your hubs of choice. For $1700 you can just about get two sets, one 29 and one 275+, brand new or just one set and have enough left over for your shock upgrade.

On the shock upgrade, it depends on what you are looking for. The Topaz is a nice shock, similar to the Float X. Great balance for an all around Trail shock with slightly more tuning options stock. X2 will provide a much more plush feeling on the descent, but is definitely more active on the climbs. Where I ride it is a huge benefit since it absorbs a lot of the chatter going uphill and also provides a lot more traction. I do 4K climbing days on my X2 without ever flipping the climb switch so it just depends on what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 1/2 View Post

Very interesting, 160 fork and an obviously non stock rear link.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Is that just somebody's bike check or what's going on here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Not quite that Miami Vice scheme...
    Getting touch-up paint might involve some...work! HAH!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyCO View Post
    Is that just somebody's bike check or what's going on here?
    Giving away a Hightower EWS replica. Setup with a 160 fork and other parts they won't talk about.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Saddlebag for the HT?

Anyone running some form of saddlebag w/ the tire to saddle clearance of a fully squished down HT? Or, is there some form of a frame bag that'll fit in the small area right behind the head tube and in front of the shock mount, and between the top and down tube?

Santa Cruz Hightower-seat-wheel-saddlebag-clearance.jpg
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Pau11y;13092555]Anyone running some form of saddlebag w/ the tire to saddle clearance of a fully squished down HT? Or, is there some form of a frame bag that'll fit in the small area right behind the head tube and in front of the shock mount, and between the top and down tube?

You could use the Valais dropper mounting point which subtracts 25mm and might provide sufficient clearance for a small saddle bag. Valais 25 ? wolftoothcomponents.com
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC 27+
    Soma Double Cross
    (hoping to get a 29/27+ hardtail)

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Anyone running some form of saddlebag w/ the tire to saddle clearance of a fully squished down HT? Or, is there some form of a frame bag that'll fit in the small area right behind the head tube and in front of the shock mount, and between the top and down tube?
    http://cyckit.com/products/
    seat bag that will fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Rear Shock
    Wheelset
    Drivetrain

What do you guys think?
    see me about a deal on brand new DTSWISS XM1501 30mm width with Freeza Rotors

EC3
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    My pedals were clogged with ice the other day so i did the slo-mo lay down in a techy section as I hopelessly tried to eject. Of course a sharp rock went right into the front triangle. I'm not usually that concerned with scratches but it left three large ones right on top of the downtube. Looks like chaulk on a blackboard.

Anybody have a touch-up idea for this? I thought I saw where someone sanded it with fine grit. Is this a good idea?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looks to me like they're still using a 200x50 shock with longer lower link and fixed shorter upper. Based on my new spider moving that upper alone may do the trick and add ramp up at the end.

believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member

I used the SWAT Bandit and it buzzed the tire at full compression. My dropper post seems to be at a similar insertion height as the one in your picture. Keep in mind I was uzing 27+ and low setting. I need to try the high setting.
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC 27+
    Soma Double Cross
    (hoping to get a 29/27+ hardtail)

mtbr member
    I'll bet that's the new linkage which will allow officially to install longer rear travel suspension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Looks to me like they're still using a 200x50 shock with longer lower link and fixed shorter upper. Based on my new spider moving that upper alone may do the trick and add ramp up at the end.

i kind of agree. But i think travel numbers would only be bumped to around the 140-145range per my unscientific unjustified guess. i think because of the fixed link position they didnt need to use the longer stroke shaft and just stick with a dedicated 50mm stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schuster.ryan View Post
    I used the SWAT Bandit and it buzzed the tire at full compression. My dropper post seems to be at a similar insertion height as the one in your picture. Keep in mind I was uzing 27+ and low setting. I need to try the high setting.
    That pic was taken w/ the chip in low setting, but w/ an additional 3.4mm in i2i length via offset shock hardware.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seat to wheel - saddlebag clearance.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	1127790
    Alpine Threadworks Ltd.: Performance Satchel

Most of my crew is running this and very happy...but we are local to him.

mtbr member
    Alpine Threadworks Ltd.: Performance Satchel

Most of my crew is running this and very happy...but we are local to him.
    Dude, you are the MAN! That is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks! I guess I better get it soon before Cheetolini repeals NAFTA!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member

Take my money!

The huge ring looks like 36T.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Giving away a Hightower EWS replica. Setup with a 160 fork and other parts they won't talk about.

It has prototype Enve's on and I bet the bike they supply will only be a Santa Cruz Hightower as it says at the end *The paintjob of the bike will be different than pictured. Most would not notice subtle changes to the spec...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    New Cane Creek DB Air IL is a drastic improvement of the stock Monarch RT3. Initial sensitivity and small bump compliance is improved and the mid-stroke is much more linear and supportive . I used to have to run additional spacers and pressure to prevent bottom out on the RT3 and would still blow through mid-travel and the setup hurt small bump compliance. Also the extra control for fine tuning is on point (HSR, HSC, LSC, LSR) all have distinguishable impact even on small click counts/dial turns. If the durability stays on point I'm gonna be on this a while!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    New Cane Creek DB Air IL is a drastic improvement of the stock Monarch RT3. Initial sensitivity and small bump compliance is improved and the mid-stroke is much more linear and supportive . I used to have to run additional spacers and pressure to prevent bottom out on the RT3 and would still blow through mid-travel and the setup hurt small bump compliance. Also the extra control for fine tuning is on point (HSR, HSC, LSC, LSR) all have distinguishable impact even on small click counts/dial turns. If the durability stays on point I'm gonna be on this a while!

Quit making my life so difficult. I'm torn between this and a X2. Had my mind made up on the Cane Creek, then the X2, now... who knows. All I know is the Monarch has to go.

b a n n e d

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro-MTB.com
    **The paintjob of the bike will be different than pictured
    Dammit.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    It has prototype Enve's on and I bet the bike they supply will only be a Santa Cruz Hightower
    Or does it have the new Santa Cruz carbon wheel prototypes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Quit making my life so difficult. I'm torn between this and a X2. Had my mind made up on the Cane Creek, then the X2, now... who knows. All I know is the Monarch has to go.

I think the decision maker for me would be how long are your descents? The X2 still has more oil than the DB IL so if you're in an area with longer sustained downhills, X2 FTW...IMO.

mtbr member
    What is the advantage of the custom linkage? Longer stroke length?
    2017 Santa Cruz Hightower CC Ohlins (Custom)
    2017 Whyte 901 (For Sale)
    2017 Stanton Switchback Ti (Custom)

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetBen View Post
    What is the advantage of the custom linkage? Longer stroke length?
    Yeah, longer shock -> most likely the shock is 200x57 -> 150 mm rear travel, cause it looks to be a Monarch Plus and not a metric shock. And maybe it will keep the geo as it would otherwise be in the low position with the current flip chip. I read somewhere that the SC boys were going to have custom painted frames and that's what we're seeing here. I would guess that's just a custom painted HT frame with a longer travel shock accompanied with the new link and 160mm Lyrik. Just guessing.. Oh and those (good looking) secret wheels too..

mtbr member
    I'm so confident that the new link will see daylight that I placed my order today. 4 long weeks...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think the decision maker for me would be how long are your descents? The X2 still has more oil than the DB IL so if you're in an area with longer sustained downhills, X2 FTW...IMO.
    I agree, if you're riding park all day or doing shuttling all day the X2 would dissapate heat better. If you're riding singletrack most often I would prefer the Cane Creek, lighter, great climb switch if necessary and still can take the downs I ride. I'm generally riding back country single track in Pisgah, NC with long climbs into long downs and it fits my riding well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Is the extra 10-15mm travel really that huge of a difference? Coming off a Bronson, now on an Enduro, test riding a stock Hightower I don't really notice the less rear travel, definitely notice the front. Can someone more experienced/better rider than I explain the plus in the extra travel. Basically I need some reasoning to be patient and wait to see what happens rather than go buy one toady. Thanks

mtbr member
    depends what type of terrain you ride. for my local trail, i dont need 150mm and 135mm is enough. when i go to more gnarly trails 2-3 times a month, i notice the 135mm under the pump so am hoping for a little more travel for those situations. im running 160mm up front.

mtbr member
    Is the extra 10-15mm travel really that huge of a difference? Coming off a Bronson, now on an Enduro, test riding a stock Hightower I don't really notice the less rear travel, definitely notice the front. Can someone more experienced/better rider than I explain the plus in the extra travel. Basically I need some reasoning to be patient and wait to see what happens rather than go buy one toady. Thanks
    Why wouldn't you go buy one today? Serious question. Not trying to be a jerk, but you can run 135 or 150 right now. It's about 90% that SC is going to release links instead of a complete frame at this point. My guess is that they will do this with two links and stretch the wheelbase by a few mm to solve the clearance issue. Looks like they have changed the mount point for the rear shock which should affect the leverage curve as well.

The extra travel is the same as going from a 5010 to a Bronson. It will make rougher trails that much better because you are not getting into the end stroke as quickly. Most bikes ramp up significantly at the end of the curve and if you ride there all the time it will make them feel harsh.

Btw I came off of a new Enduro 29 as well. Really liked the Enduro but love my Hightower.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    As already supposed here... I can confirm (from my dealer) that there is something new to come the 1st April....
    One more week to wait....

(But don't know if it's an HT LT, Nomad or ...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Why wouldn't you go buy one today? Serious question. Not trying to be a jerk, but you can run 135 or 150 right now. It's about 90% that SC is going to release links instead of a complete frame at this point. My guess is that they will do this with two links and stretch the wheelbase by a few mm to solve the clearance issue. Looks like they have changed the mount point for the rear shock which should affect the leverage curve as well.

The extra travel is the same as going from a 5010 to a Bronson. It will make rougher trails that much better because you are not getting into the end stroke as quickly. Most bikes ramp up significantly at the end of the curve and if you ride there all the time it will make them feel harsh.

Btw I came off of a new Enduro 29 as well. Really liked the Enduro but love my Hightower.

My only concern is upgrading the rear shock when buying now. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the adaptability from one travel to the other. I'm between the X2 and 11-6 (I can get a real good deal on one).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe I have bad eyes, but that link looks stock to me. Not sure where people are seeing a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dj87 View Post
    But don't know if it's an HT LT, Nomad or ...
    Well, what we DO know is the Nomad is the only member of the SC fleet that's not Boost. So, I'd wager it'll be at least that bike. HT...?...maybe on anything beyond paint.

Maybe a Highnomad...a 165mm 29er+...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

is that means would be better to order longer shock like 200x57 instead of 200x51?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by czervonka View Post
    is that means would be better to order longer shock like 200x57 instead of 200x51?

Depends on what you want out of the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dj87 View Post
    As already supposed here... I can confirm (from my dealer) that there is something new to come the 1st April....
    One more week to wait....

(But don't know if it's an HT LT, Nomad or ...)
    That sounds about right. Santa Cruz has been famous for the April fools day release in the past. I'm thinking the XXL HT and LT HT release.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Can someone tell me how easy it is to modify the Rock Shox Pike 29 RC 140 Fork to a 150 ??

I'm looking at the Hightower C 29er - S Build.... but I really want 150mm up front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Santa Cruz Hightower

Depends on what you want out of the bike.

of course - i live in midwest so 135 looks great but from time to time we'll go further, looking for higher grounds and then, more would be welcome (i guess) because i like going down with drops 4-5ft
    thanks for an input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew840 View Post
    Can someone tell me how easy it is to modify the Rock Shox Pike 29 RC 140 Fork to a 150 ??

I'm looking at the Hightower C 29er - S Build.... but I really want 150mm up front.
    Should be quite simple procedure. You need a new air piston which you replace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Santa Cruz Hightower-image.jpg

Nearly finished, waiting on some yellow Santa Cruz decals.
    Xo1 eagle build
    Fox 36 forks
    Fox x2 standard
    Rims are actually wtb i29, just I had already ordered the decals as was expecting Easton rims.
    Carbon bar and burgtec stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

I paid about $100 CAD to have my local shop change mine. Super simple procedure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchj View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1127992

Nearly finished, waiting on some yellow Santa Cruz decals.
    Xo1 eagle build
    Fox 36 forks
    Fox x2 standard
    Rims are actually wtb i29, just I had already ordered the decals as was expecting Easton rims.
    Carbon bar and burgtec stem.
    Good looking bike RitchJ! Color scheme really pops!
    OMB
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    That sounds about right. Santa Cruz has been famous for the April fools day release in the past. I'm thinking the XXL HT and LT HT release.
    I think a Nomad is far more likely
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    I think a Nomad is far more likely
    Agree. Likely Nomad 29?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Another bang up job from the guys at slik!

Santa Cruz Hightower-img_20170322_190056.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    High Speed and Low Speed Rebound Damping!

That's it, no matter what shock you put on your Hightower, Fox X2, Cane Creek, etc...The ability to control rebound damping early and late in the stroke on the fly is key. Relying on the combination of a rebound knob and base tuned valve (Monarch RT3) causes rough sacrifices. The one I ran into most often being wanting more pop on jumps (dialing down rebound damping) having an unacceptable impact on small bump/earlier stroke rebound resulting in rough popping up and down and bouncing on small roots and tech climbing. Just though I would put this out there as I hadn't had this insight prior to making shock decision.

mtbr member
    I finished up my Hightower build today and took her out for a rip. What an insane machine!

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower

my bike is number 20 on Google images for Santa Cruz Hightower in it's original 27+ form
    (Originally a 29er, updated to 27+)

As it sits riight nowSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk29er with 150 mm air shaft, Monarch Plus RC3, Next SL G4 Cranks and chip in High position 29er
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I finished up my Hightower build today and took her out for a rip. What an insane machine!

Long shocked or stock travel?

mtbr member
    Long shocked or stock travel?
    160 fork, standard rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Finished her up with some Slik graphics.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    Finished her up with some Slik graphics.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Nice, the customised decals make lots of different!

mtbr member

Sick!

mtbr member
    Can ride this rig forever, never get tire!

mtbr member

Just read your build log. Nice bike! You should post a little bit about your bikepacking / longer rides on it.
    What trail is that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

If you haven't bought the thing yet then you should talk to your dealer in the first place. Should be no problem getting 150mm version with 29er build. Changing is possible, but requires some parts (air shaft I think?) and some work too, as you need to take the fork apart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strasznyzbigniew View Post
    If you haven't bought the thing yet then you should talk to your dealer in the first place. Should be no problem getting 150mm version with 29er build. Changing is possible, but requires some parts (air shaft I think?) and some work too, as you need to take the fork apart.
    Yeah, my shop asked if I wanted the 29 C S build to be 140 or 150, shouldn't be an issue ordering it one way or the other.
    What trail is that?

mtbr member
    Just read your build log. Nice bike! You should post a little bit about your bikepacking / longer rides on it.
    Thanks Yuppie! Plan to do bikepacking soon. Will update

mtbr member
    Yeah, my shop asked if I wanted the 29 C S build to be 140 or 150, shouldn't be an issue ordering it one way or the other.
    Mine too. I chose 150 mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has anyone tried a DHX2 on an HT? Is it even compatible?

mtbr member

Beautiful Bike LCBooger!
    OMB
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D

mtbr member

Chris, what size is your HT, and how tall are you? Do you feel comfy in the cockpit on it comfortably?

GORGEOUS BIKE!
    OMB
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Ordered one for a HT. I dont see any reason why it should not work.
    I saw one at instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQUxavXhv8u/

mtbr member
    Why would it not be compatible? I haven't used a DHX2, but a X-Fusion HLR coil and it worked fine.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Santa Cruz Hightower

I know there's the other thread on this but I'm just switching out from 11 speed XO1 where I run a 30 tooth Absolute Oval on Raceface Cinch. Putting on the Eagle bird, has anybody been able to fit a 34 tooth Oval ring? I just called Santa Cruz but they don't have an answer.

I'm running non-boost, 49 mm chain line.