mtbr member

santa cruz heckler: a few questions from a newbie

hello
    I'm new here and need some help.

I'm thinking of passing to a full frame and am in love with the Heckler. I found a used one that the seller is telling me is a 2006 model. (I know he bought it in 2006). I have attached 2 pics.

my questions:
    1) could anyone confirm that it's a 2006? to my limited knowledge, it looks more like a 2005 (I know SC doesn't classify by model year)
    2) the rear shock mounted is a manitou swinger 4-way. how is it considered for this frame? I know he replaced the original one...
    3) although difficult to see from the pics, do you think it's in decent shape?
    4) what fork would be my best choice? 140?

I like to pedal a lot but I want an all-around bike that can handle all types of terrain and trails, although I won't ever get too crazy with the DH stuff. btw: I'm 5'9" and weigh 74kg

thank you in advance for your help
    stepping-razor
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks like a pre 07 Heckler, has the big replaceable mech hanger, good chance its an 06,
    I would recommend a Pike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a "2006" Heckler that I bought new in early 2007 a few months before the re-designed model was released. Mine does not have that large gusset plate at the headtube area, which i believe was a feature of earlier frames. So based on that I would say that frame is either a 2005 or early 2006 production. The frame could easily have been purchased in 2006 leading someone to call it a 2006. As far as forks, I have used several ranging from 115mm-160mm of travel and the bike performed great with all. Generally a 140mm fork should be perfect, just pick a fork with the features and travel appropriate for you riding conditions. http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...0&d=1170555629

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    from the "heckler" decal on the chain stay i can say its a 2004 frame.

i have a frame just like that, still with the stock 5th, so i wouldnt know about the shock you have. but, the reviews ive read on line say the swinger is a good match for the frame (better than the dhx air).
    i run a coil pike on mine, and its excellent. climbs well, and descends even better.
    it looks great. sc are notorious for pealing decals, so your frame is in good condition.

Black Dragon
    Quote Originally Posted by GTV8
    I have a "2006" Heckler that I bought new in early 2007 a few months before the re-designed model was released. Mine does not have that large gusset plate at the headtube area, which i believe was a feature of earlier frames. So based on that I would say that frame is either a 2005 or early 2006 production. The frame could easily have been purchased in 2006 leading someone to call it a 2006. As far as forks, I have used several ranging from 115mm-160mm of travel and the bike performed great with all. Generally a 140mm fork should be perfect, just pick a fork with the features and travel appropriate for you riding conditions. http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...0&d=1170555629
    I agree with GTV8. I have a Heckler purchased new in 2005 and it has the same large headtube gusset as in the pic (also the same decals).
    I believe that the pic shows a Heckler likely produced in 2005 or even 2004, and not likely 2006 (would have the small gusset).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There were very few changes from 2002 until the 2007.5 came out:

- sticker styles
    - 5" travel to 5.5" travel in 2003 or 04?(no frame change, just change in shock from 2.0" to 2.25" stroke)
    - gusset change in late 2006/early 2007.

The model years are hard because SC isn't traditional in that sense, but that frame looks pretty new and could be a 06 or 05, which I would consider identical. I would worry more about the condition of the frame instead of whether it is 06 or 05, especially since you know he bought it in 06. It could be a 06 that has been heavily used, or a 05 that was ridden 4 times.

Fun Junkie
    Here's a couple shots of my "'06" Heckler. You can see the difference in the head tube gusset. Not sure what else changed, or how that really impacts the durability of the bike though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just to confuse things, here is my 06 Heckler
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    ^ my 05 heckler is exactly the same as nick CW's......big gusset, and it has the same "heckler" decal on the seat stay.....someone at one time here said there was a way to tell the year based on the serial number........?????????

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    That Frame is a pre-'06 Heckler. The larger gusset is the key indicator here.
    If you bought a Heckler in '06 and it has that same gusset, it is the previous model. As far as durability, I have not heard of anyones Heckler breaking at the gusset on any of the models. Thats not to say it has never happened, its just to say it is not a common occurance on this frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My one must be an 05 then! Yeah I have heard the same thing about the serial numbers somewhere...
    Last edited by Nick CW; 08-16-2008 at 02:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If its a good price and is in good condition then go for it, it will still be a fun ride,

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i think some of the guys are confused about the years. this is how it goes:

04 - large gusset, heckler decal on the chain stay
    05 - large gusset, heckler decal on the top tube
    06 - small gusset, heckler decal on the top tube
    07 - the new model

mtbr member
    thank you you for the info!

mtbr member

just to close this thread...

I ended up buying the frame in question and sending the serial number placed on the BB to Tim at SC. He confirmed that the frame was produced in late '03.
    Thanks again for your help
    passion never obtains forgiveness

Fun Junkie
    Congrats on the new ride! I'm sure you're going to love the Heckler, it's just an awesome all-around machine!!!