mtbr member

Which Santa Cruz FS bike to complement Nomad 3?

Looks like my TRc has slowly developed the infemous circular crack and I might need to warranty it soon.
    I also own a Nomad 3, which I plan to keep.
    Now thw question is, Tallboy 3, Hightower or 5010 v2?

I used to own a TB1 and liked it on flats and uphills but 100mm rear and steep HA didn't work well on DH around here.
    I really do not have a clear favorite one. I like how the 29" feels on longer rides and how it turns.
    I also like the playfulness of the TRc...
    How much different the T2 and HT are?

Anyway, which one would you pick and why?
    Last edited by jazzanova; 06-13-2016 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    This is obviously dependent on what type of trails you normally ride. But generically, 5010 or TB3 probably the best compliment. Bronson and Hightower, whilst not replacement bikes... are close in capability to the Nomad so assuming you want a clear separation go 5010 or TB3. Then it really depends whether you want 27.5 or 29. 5010 is the effective replacement for TRc so if you want something similar to that, 5010 might be the way to go.

mtbr member
    I've got a Nomad with an Avy'd RC4 coil on the rear and 170mm 36 up front. About 30.5 lbs built. Love it, but it's a bit much for alot of my trails, so I just bought a 5010v2.

Put a lowered 36 (to 140mm) on it. Only 2 rides so far, but man it pedals like a rocket when you put the power down. Too soon to give a really good assessment, but so far it seems the perfect compliment.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    5010 would make the most sense to me. that or a TB3. HT and Bronson have too much crossover with a Nomad.

mtbr member
    How much different TB3 and HT are?
    It seems like the new longer travel bikes pedal very nicely these days...
    I am not afraid of a longer WB or slack HT on a XC/trail bikes.
    The weight difference is also negligible.

I am 5'8.5" with 31" inseam on a L N3.
    If I was going with a 5010 v2 I would definitely pick a large.
    If HT, it would most likely be a medium.
    Not sure what size TB3 I am though.
    I guess some demo rides are in order.

mtbr member
    Jazz, where's home and what are your home trails like...schmoood or a chunk-fest?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Both. Socal. Mostly Orange County trails. Some are smooth and groomed. Some are rocky and chunky. Loose over hard pack.
    TRc has been enough bike for 95% trails around here, only on fast chunky trails I wish for a touch more travel. I run it with a 140 Pike and -1° angleset.
    N3 is fun and could be overkill on most trails, but I love the bike. Setup with 11-6 and Avy open bath 160 Pike.
    I guess I need to figure if I want to go back back on a 29".

The bike which has cought my interest lately, is actually a Pivot Switchblade. I am waiting to see some comparison review between it and the HT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I guess I need to figure if I want to go back back on a 29".

The bike which has cought my interest lately, is actually a Pivot Switchblade. I am waiting to see some comparison review between it and the HT.
    Perhaps a lighter weight and lesser travel 29er...like the new TB3?

My jury is still out on the Plus. I have a set of burly 29er wheels and it's about the same weight (by published numbers) as a set of carbon plus wheels and MAN does it hurt to try to get it spun up to speed! Pretty amazing once it is, but climbing w/ it just hurts!

If I was to let go of one bike (a HT or a Nomad 3) I'd prob let go of the N3 and get a TB3. The HT is plenty enough even for Trestle in the long-shock mode. But if I factor in my big DH bike, I'd prob let go of the big bike and keep the Nomad.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just picked up a hardtail (Kona Honzo) to compliment my Nomad 3. It's been a great combo for my So Cal rides.

I made the choice to go with the Honzo partly due to price, and partly due to the fact that I wanted something completely opposite of the Nomad.

The Honzo isn't the lightest hardtail out there, but it's burly and tons of fun. 68 degree HTA, 29er wheels, 120mm travel up front (some move it up to 140, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do that yet).

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Craw View Post
    I just picked up a hardtail (Kona Honzo) to compliment my Nomad 3. It's been a great combo for my So Cal rides.
    I also picked up a hardtail to round out my stable here in Phoenix. Currently own a 2016 V10 and the nomad3. Seemed like the next logical step for me for longer rides and 12 hour races that I occasionally dabble in. I used my N3 for the 18 hour in Fruita and it did really well but was way overkill!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Same. I have a Canfield N9 SS (and now 1x10) as well as an N3. Perfect combo, either full squish or hard tail, no in-between. I used to have 1st gen nomad and an asr5, love the choice between hard tail and fs to be honest.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for the suggestions.
    I will not be getting a hardtail though.
    The only bikes from SC line I am considering to complement the N3 are:
    TB 3
    Hightower
    5010 v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks guys for the suggestions.
    I will not be getting a hardtail though.
    The only bikes from SC line I am considering to complement the N3 are:
    TB 3
    Hightower
    5010 v2
    Ah! I just realized you were only looking at FS suggestions. Sorry about that. I really do like the 5010. Don't think you can go wrong there. I haven't had a chance to try out the new TB.

mtbr member
    Anyway, which one would you pick and why?
    5010 is what I intend to get to complement my Nomad, as soon as I can put together the budget. I had a Bronson before the Nomad. I am looking for a shorter travel, fun and rad trail bike, but not a cross-country race bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    5010 is what I intend to get to complement my Nomad, as soon as I can put together the budget. I had a Bronson before the Nomad. I am looking for a shorter travel, fun and rad trail bike, but not a cross-country race bike.
    Same here. I think to certain point all the 3 in question could be characterized as such bikes.

mtbr member
    I told my friend today, from what little time I have on it, I think the 5010 is a XC wolf in a trail bike sheep's clothing. That thing just pedals amazing well.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would recommend the TB3 29er. This will give you a fast-rolling, efficient trail bike that will be great for XC racing, endurance events, and epic rides. This will provide a good contrast to the more enduro/DH oriented N3. If you really think it might not be enough travel for you, get the HT, which shouldn't give up that much efficiency. And either of these also gives you the 27.5+ option, so you have that built-in versatility.

mtbr member
    Why not just put some cash into the N3 instead? I use mine for pretty much any trail application. I do have a ti 29 hardtail for urban rides. But for everything else N3 is just fine, just pedal harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themanro View Post
    Why not just put some cash into the N3 instead? I use mine for pretty much any trail application. I do have a ti 29 hardtail for urban rides. But for everything else N3 is just fine, just pedal harder.
    Because my TRc frame just cracked and I will most likely get an option to pick another frame from SC lineup as a warranty replacement...

mtbr member
    Because my TRc frame just cracked and I will most likely get an option to pick another frame from SC lineup as a warranty replacement...
    The other thought is, if SC will allow you to wait, get the new Nomad (v3.1) and sell your old...?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    The other thought is, if SC will allow you to wait, get the new Nomad (v3.1) and sell your old...?
    Hmm. I can't see anything on the current model I would like to change.
    I "upsized" to a large, I am 5'8.5" and like the fit with a 30mm stem and seat pushed forward.
    I really like the geometry. HA, STA, CS.
    And, I like having 2 bikes. 😃

mtbr member
    Test ride a 5010 and see if you like it, then get one (because you will).

Then save money to get a Hightower.

Problem solved!*

*until you want a 4th bike

mtbr member
    Hmm. I can't see anything on the current model I would like to change.
    I "upsized" to a large, I am 5'8.5" and like the fit with a 30mm stem and seat pushed forward.
    I really like the geometry. HA, STA, CS.
    And, I like having 2 bikes. 😃
    I had heard something about extending the travel...I think 175 or 180. And while I don't agree that there are any real benefits, Boost. And perhaps, they'll lower the top/seat tube junction so you can get a 170 dropper in there on a large. I would actually like to see the STA a touch steeper, but that's me Finally, I can see them going to "+" compatible rear triangle...not much bennies if you don't ever plan on running a "+" setup.

But yeah, I hear you about having 2+ bikes. Getting a CS on my Nomad's X2 and the HT's Reverb clapped out. So my Nomad is down right now...scavenged all sorts of parts off of it to get the HT and a DH bike working. Good time to tear the bike down and redo all the pivots, service the fork, and bleed the brakes
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Bodhisattva
    I run 2.5 tires on my Nomad, so am not particularly interested in "plus".
    I think my LTc is a great compliment to my Nomad, but reckon the Hightower isn't.

I constantly debate ditching the LTc for a 5010, and likely will at some point. But I'm doing my best to protest the Boost movement. Get ready for SuperBoost+. It won't be long before SRAM jams that down our throats as the new standard. Pivot just released a model with that spacing, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where everyone goes eventually. What SRAM wants, the industry gives them

The struggle is real....
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 06-14-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    The struggle is real....
    Lol...^^This^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I run 2.5 tires on my Nomad, so am not particularly interested in Boost.
    I think my LTc is a great compliment to my Nomad, but reckon the Hightower isn't.
    Are you thinking the Hightower is too similar to the Nomad and the LTc & 5010 are much more different? Can you explain? Have you been on the Hightower or 5010?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Are you thinking the Hightower is too similar to the Nomad and the LTc & 5010 are much more different? Can you explain? Have you been on the Hightower or 5010?
    Only a parking lot test on HT, and some good conversations with people who have ridden them. From what I gather, HT is not a Nomad, maybe more like a Bronson. But too much overlap between Nomad & HT for my tastes.

My Nomad is my do-anything superbike. My complimentary bike needs to be lighter, more nimble, let me relax a bit more.

I do think the LTc is sort of a 29er version of the 1st gen 5010. But not so much the new one with the slacker angels and the new VPP3 suspension.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This makes sense. I have the LTc right now with a 140mm pike. I can't decide if to keep it and run a 150mm fork and swap the rear Fox shock. Let me be clear, the LTc is a really a sick bike and light, but I wish for a tad more slacker HTA & rear shock.

So the TB3, 5010, and Hightower as well have my interest along with a Ibis Ripley LS. Being in the midwest now, hard to find demos. Hope to get some time on these soon. Sorry, not trying to hack the OP original question.

Bodhisattva
    This makes sense. I have the LTc right now with a 140mm pike. I can't decide if to keep it and run a 150mm fork and swap the rear Fox shock. Let me be clear, the LTc is a really a sick bike and light, but I wish for a tad more slacker HTA & rear shock.
    Agreed. The LTc is really sick. I still enjoy riding mine. Currently setup with Fox 36 at 150mm and ELEVENSIX in the rear. However, it weighs 29.5 lbs and my Nomad 30.5 - although the LTc feels a lot lighter than that on the trail.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I stuck on a Works Components headset on my LTc...tried a -1.5* and -2* and settled on the -2*. Sold the bike w/ that HS, but still have a -1.5 floating around...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮