mtbr member
    May 2006

Santa Cruz Free Agent sponsored rider

On SC's website, there is a gentleman by the name of Aaron Yates.

Has anyone ever wonder how he is a motocross and road racer, and is sponsored by SC bikes? Does he race bicycle off season? Or is SC just providing him some money sponsorship for the name only? There is nothing in his Q & A that even remotely talk about any discipline of cycling.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/rid...?free_agents=1

mtbr member

cross training

Its called cross training. A lot of pro moto riders ride bicycles to cross train. Looking at his resume, it looks like he is one of the top superbike racers in the US.

A friend of mine raced superbikes semi-profesionally, and got a great hook up from SC on mountain bikes.

Get Down Do you
    Aaron Yates is a top notch rider. Although he has never won a Superbike Championship he has won several 600cc and Superstock championships. They need to update that picture too because he no longer rides for Yoshimura Suzuki he rides for Jordan Suzuki which is owned and operated by Micheal Jordan.

I was actually quite surprised to see Aaron's pic up on the SC site when I 1st saw it. I don't remember ever seeing a SC sticker on his bike either. And I am an Avid motorcycle race enthusiast and I watch all the races. My guess is that they worked out some deal with Aaron for cross market advertising. Most riders though to be honest are roadies and plug out tons of miles it's nice to see a MTBer in the fray.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

Members who have read this thread: 0