mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Santa Cruz frame durability

Been looking at used Nomad's and Blur LT's and I have seen a lot of frames for sale with replaced chainstays. And a few with new front triangles.

Has santa cruz had a problem with cracked frames and stays, or is it the small few who sell them used?

Thanks!

Also at 6'2 with a 37 inseam (actual measurement, not jean size) everybody has told me XL, which makes sense to me. What do you think?

mtbr member
    I cracked my Nomad swingarm - polished and got a black one under warranty. Frame was out of warranty so happy to get another even though it was a black one.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I had the original '06 Nomad and after 3 years I developed stress cracks at the upper link pivot where it went through the top tube...not an uncommon deal. In '08 SC went to a 1.5 headtube, and most think that it was just the natural progression of head tube sizing...but...that top tube is different and more robust. So, I guess if I were looking at used Gen 1 Nomads, I'd probably stay with the 1.5 head tube model. Though not impossible to crack the 1.5 version at that spot, it will be more resistant to it.

On your sizing, many at 6'2" could ride a large, but your huge 37" inseam pretty well dictates an XL.

mtbr member
    i have noticed that as well- or rather a lot of rear triangles not matching up in color- im 6ft even and the lrg fits me great- however the xl fit me very well as well, im only a 34, i would go with an extra large if i were you- it should fit well- and the top tubes are short which is good in your case

TNC
    noMAD man
    I didn't mention it in my response to the OP, and maybe he already knew this, but that 2-color deal on the main frame and swingarm doesn't necessarily indicate a replacement. Not sure if you were assuming replacement or the sellers just stated such at some point. Two of the six SC's I've owned had different colored frame components by my choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz frame durability-nomad-vivid.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I didn't mention it in my response to the OP, and maybe he already knew this, but that 2-color deal on the main frame and swingarm doesn't necessarily indicate a replacement. Not sure if you were assuming replacement or the sellers just stated such at some point. Two of the six SC's I've owned had different colored frame components by my choice.
    My Nomad 2 came from the Factory as a special order with a green rear and black front. Some of the Gen 1 Nomads had TT cracks that were addressed with the Gen 1.5 front trialgle upgrade. The 2008 Gen 1.5's that don't have issues had a full 1.5 headtube.

As far as SC frames go they are sound. I have had three with no issues. Two of my were second hand. I have not seen or heard issues with the BLT2 or Nomad 2 as of yet.

This is not a great photo, but you can see the green rear and black front.

Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Wilson, yeah, I was even told that when I called my frame in at the shop and talked to Willie. The 1.5 top tube is different and has some more beef to address that stress cracking on the Gen 1 versions.

hey, what the!

Nomad 1.5 top tube crack

Adding mine to the list
    Nomad 1.5 with crack in top tube just above the pivot
    Santa Cruz frame durability-img_0515small.jpg
    Santa Cruz frame durability-img_0519small.jpg
    the beatings will continue until morale has improved...

mtbr member

damm

Thats a known week spot for the alum Nomad, mine cracked at the right side chainstay after years of abuse. Santa Cruz was really good with warranty as mine expired but gave me a new rear swingarm as a crash replaement for free

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I had the original '06 Nomad and after 3 years I developed stress cracks at the upper link pivot where it went through the top tube...not an uncommon deal. In '08 SC went to a 1.5 headtube, and most think that it was just the natural progression of head tube sizing...but...that top tube is different and more robust. So, I guess if I were looking at used Gen 1 Nomads, I'd probably stay with the 1.5 head tube model. Though not impossible to crack the 1.5 version at that spot, it will be more resistant to it.

On your sizing, many at 6'2" could ride a large, but your huge 37" inseam pretty well dictates an XL.
    Same thing for me +1
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by kjahn
    Adding mine to the list
    Nomad 1.5 with crack in top tube just above the pivot
    That sucks! I'm on my replaced front '08 triangle now for about a year and a half w/out issues yet (knock on wood).
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

hey, what the!
    Still trying to get a hold of Willie at Santa Cruz for a replacement. Bummer is, I'm supposed to go to Moab in 10 days...trying for the miracle turnaround. If not I'll have to pedal my VP Free, it's a slug but i gues it will build character...

Slowest Rider
    My Heckler had the rear chain stay break replaced after about 2 years. I don't do big jumps, but lots of rugged XC with my 250 lbs.

I have the old design on the rear triangle. The newest Heckler design is much beefier than my original or replacement. Nevertheless, it's not broken again in 3 more years of riding.

Nowhere near as bad as my Trek Fuel, where a frame break was an annual event. It's why I went to the Heckler.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah I cracked my gen 1 nomad too. It was out of warranty and santa cruz offered me nothing.

They weren't obligated to, so I don't hold it against them, but it's a bit disappointing to hear they did hook other people up who were in the same situation.

It seems that the single pivot bikes are really hard on shocks too. I've demolished 4 on my heckler, and a couple of friends on new bullits have repeatedly cracked or snapped the shafts on coil shocks. Frames are still solid though!

The new gen vpp bikes are pretty popular around here and I've yet to hear of anyone having any frame issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

hey, what the!
    SC offered me a Nomad 2 frame, no shock for $700.00. They said they are out of the frame in my design so this is the only option. Should be here in a couple days.

So lately now I've been riding my VP-Free for a week waiting for the Nomad frame and the Free has developed a crack around the tube in front of the seatpost...
    that makes 2 cracked SC frames in 2 weeks!
    I guess it's another call to Willie...
    Last edited by kjahn; 05-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.