Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Santa Cruz Clunk Clunk

I've now had a Bullit, Heckler and VPfree and they all have had slop between the DU bushing and the bolt that the bushing rides on. Pick up the bike from the seat and you get about of mil or two of unimpeded travel. Clunk. Clunk.

Is it just me? What's the fix? On another note: Why are we using a threaded bolt for a pivot anyway? Seems like state-of-the-art lawnmower technology to me, but I'm not an engineer or anything.

Whoaohohohoh
    You just have to replace the DU bushing.

Err....are you talking about the pivots, or the du bushing that is in the shock eyelet, I might be mis-answering your question. If the slop is in the shock, then...

Call up the manufacturer of the shock and they will sell you the right parts. I know FOX will sell direct, I don't know about manitou or marz You could try going to your LBS as they might just have the DU bushing in stock.

TNC
    noMAD man
    On the threaded bolt, I'm guessing you're talking about the bolts at the shock eye mounts? As long as the portion of the bolt that rides inside the shock eye reducers isn't threaded and is the right diameter, it's as good as any high dollar alternative that you'd have to special order from the frame manufacturer. The Nomad uses a fancy thru-shaft setup at the shock eyes, and I've already had two of the "special" 6mm bolts snap off at their heads...swapping too many shocks for experimentation and too soft an alloy to try and attain that XC weight for the Nomad that SC is apparently looking for. Fortunately a pair of good ol' lawnmower 6mm allen screws fixed the problem. It was so good I put two more lawnmower screws in the other end of the shock mount. Simplicity with effectiveness is good...LOL!

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Yes. I'm talking about the bushings I pressed into my new Fox DHX (and all the other progressive shocks I've had for that matter).

TNC, does this bushing slop "develop" and get worse over time? Do they wear out? It seems to be an off-the-shelf issue with my bikes... Are repeated hits ovalizing or grinding down the bushing or something (maybe those threaded bolts are taking material off of the bushing i.d., hmmmm...)?

The replacement shock bolts I got with my VP and Heckler "Pro Packs" are *mostly* threaded. As are the bolts which came with all my frames.

Maybe lawn mower technology is what I'm really after?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    DU bushings are pressed into the shock. Reducers are pressed into the DU bushings to fit specific frames. The mounting bolts insert thru the reducers - just trying to understand what part you are reffering to ?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Probably not your situation, but is there any chance your maybe not runnin' enough pre-load on the spring? I know if I try to acheive the correct sag, I end up w/my preload backed off enough that the spring w/ clunk a lil bit when you pick up th' back end as described & I have to tighten my preload collar a round'er two. This is due to my preference of a stiffer spring than most.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

TNC
    noMAD man

Bushings/Spacers

Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    Yes. I'm talking about the bushings I pressed into my new Fox DHX (and all the other progressive shocks I've had for that matter).

TNC, does this bushing slop "develop" and get worse over time? Do they wear out? It seems to be an off-the-shelf issue with my bikes... Are repeated hits ovalizing or grinding down the bushing or something (maybe those threaded bolts are taking material off of the bushing i.d., hmmmm...)?

The replacement shock bolts I got with my VP and Heckler "Pro Packs" are *mostly* threaded. As are the bolts which came with all my frames.

Maybe lawn mower technology is what I'm really after?
    Kauai, something seems to be wearing your bushings and/or spacers at an unusual rate. No, those items don't last forever, but it almost sounds like some loose or out of spec that's causing a faster rate of wear. And yes, you're right...there should be no threaded part of the bolt riding inside of the spacer. That interface should be totally smooth on that part of the bolt. I've never seen any bolts from SC that have threaded portions openly exposed to the shock spacers. The threaded portions have always been on the outer section of the bolt where the nut or other retainer is connected. However, I can't swear that I've seen every shock eye and bolt combo from SC.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks I was always confused by that... I was asking about the spacer actually, not the DU bushing...

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Kauai, something seems to be wearing your bushings and/or spacers at an unusual rate. No, those items don't last forever, but it almost sounds like some loose or out of spec that's causing a faster rate of wear.
    Loose or out of spec on a SC frame, nah Old style hecklers were really bad about wearing out their bushings. I haven't had any issue with the vpp or my bullit bikes though.

mtbr member
    My DU bushes last about 2 months on my Bullit during the season and 6months on my Heckler. I figure its a fair trade off, they are cheap to replace and I'd rather replace those than the frame mounts or the shock body!

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I had such a clunking sound at my former (actual style) Heckler with 5th coil shock.I first thought that a fresh bushing will fix that issue and rebuild the shock but finaly discovered that the bolt hole in the frame was ovalized...SantaCruz covered it by warranty and gave me a new frame wich I sold asap....

Later
    RaD

mtbr member
    I had a clunking sounds on my Heckler too that I could figure out where it is coming from. I already tighten almost all the bolts but it still hearing a clunking sounds once in a while
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.