Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

The first report has appeared, so here's a new thread with the bike's name. Let the discussion commence...

New Santa Cruz Chameleon spotted in the wild! - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    thats the bike ive been waiting for. hoping to get mine this summer

Last edited by nauc; 03-07-2017 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well if I ever break my 2014 Trek Stache I now know what I will replace it with.

WNC Native
    subscribed
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

LCW
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

Yup...this might actually be my next trail bike.

Although I'm leaning more towards a TB3
    Last edited by LCW; 03-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Might have to order this frameset... Who wants to buy a 17.5 Stache 5 (Miami)? LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Will it be available as a frame only?

WNC Native
    just in case anyone hasn't seen this - 2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27.5+ spy photos - Mtbr.com
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon has this been hiding in plain sight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gondezee View Post
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon has this been hiding in plain sight?
    Whoops, looks like I wasn't supposed to see that.

SS Pusher Man
    Cambriabike has them listed for sale.

Santa-Cruz

Here is the geometry chart:

https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core...f3410&expurl=T

$1599 for "D" Kit
    $1999 for "R" Kit
    $749 for frame
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    $1599-$1999
    small, medium and large available in two different build kits
    Trail hardtail
    • Adjustable Drop-outs
    • 29 or 27.5 Plus wheel options
    • Single speed compatibility
    • Boost rear spacing
    • 67.5 Degree HT Angle

D Kit
    • Recon Silver 120mm fork on both 29 and 27.5 Plus
    • 1x11 SRAM NX drivetrain (11-42 cassette)
    • SRAM Level Brakes
    • Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Front / Rear

R1 Kit
    • Fox Rhythm 120mm fork on both 29 and 27.5 Plus
    • 1x11 SRAM NX Drivetrain (XD/10-42 cassette)
    • SRAM Level T Brakes
    • Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Front / Rear

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the info!

Why is there a frame set for 27.5 plus and 29? Shouldn't they be the same?

Are they really different? Geometry charts shows the 29 has a 100mm HT in S and M, but it's 90mm for 27.5 plus. What gives?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    does anyone know yet if it can handle a longer travel fork? is the geometry adjustable with the rear drop outs and a longer fork?

mtbr member
    how are the SRAM Level brakes? are they at least reliable? i had some Juicy 3 brakes... pita!

fraid of heights
    Well the color looks a lot better in these shots and on CBO. (MTBR color looked very baby puke green)

I don't get why they put such a slack seat tube on it?

More reach needs to be accompanied by a steeper seat tube to keep the top tube number in check. They've got an XXL top tube on a XL bike with a Medium head tube length but at least the angle on the head tube is decently slack...? WTH

Also they already have the Highball 27.5. So they have "tame hardtail" totally covered. The next time they update the molds for the highball 29 they could have added a little extra 27.5+ width clearance and had this bike covered. To call this a Chameleon it should have been ready and waiting to get a 130-140 fork and not end up hanging your ass over your rear tire... (read steeper seat tube angle) OR if not that then how come no rack and extra waterbottle mounts. Why no nut strap, etc. If it's not gonna be all mountain than it would have been cool for it to be set up for backcountry...

Same thing with the GT Pantera. The name and history is awesome to me. Army green is awesome! But like this it's got some odd geometry choices.

The great thing with the Chameleon's of old, (I guess not this one OR the one before it), was that you could set it up from freeride/DJ/DS to cross country with the same frame. (and obviously deciding what's important to you and sizing accordingly)

Still, some black stickers over the purple and it would look good. And maybe I could live with slamming my seat all the way forward...??? OR not over forking it and sizing down to a large BUT then having to run a riser stem with riser bars so I don't OTB!!!

EDIT/looks like they don't cut the steerer tube? so I guess I would just need to keep 4 inches of steerer and I won't OTB...???

Would really like to have owned a Chameleon again, had been waiting and waiting for this and had been holding off buying a 27.5+. At least with hardtails you can still afford to try it out to see if you like it without mortgaging your first born...
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I hope they eventually offer a carbon version to compete with the Stache 9.

mtbr member
    Finally on website https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

Sorry if somebody already posted it, but I guess its NOT being labeled a 29+ plus which was mentioned in a article before.

BTW its crazy that it says the Large is for 5'10" to 6'1'' but the XL is for 6'1'' to 6'6''.

I dont know but that reach looks crazy long to me.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No weights listed.

I calculated the weight based on manufacturer weight listings for each of the parts and it comes in at around 26.5lbs for the D+ build. Does that seem right? Seems lighter than I expected. I realize these numbers can be a fair bit off, so are we talking somewhere in the 27-28lb range for the D+ build?

Even still, that doesn't seem horrible considering how heavy the NX drivetrain is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That geometry chart doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't put too much stock into it quite yet.

How the heck does top tube length change by wheelsize, but bottom bracket height stays the same? See? It's a bit funky and might be revised later.

This bike is amazing though. Great color, great spec. Certainly gives the Kona Honzo/Big Honzo a run for its money.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    BTW its crazy that it says the Large is for 5'10" to 6'1'' but the XL is for 6'1'' to 6'6''.

I dont know but that reach looks crazy long to me.
    I did a little parking lot spin on a new Honzo (size large, 475 reach) and it didn't feel nearly as huge as I expected. Honestly, it didn't feel that much bigger than my regular bike that has a 425 reach. Go figure.

mtbr member
    NSMB has ridden it.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/2017-santa-cruz-chameleon/

EDIT - among other things the reviewer has some specific thoughts and recommendations on how to build it up, essentially advocating ordering a frame instead of stock in order to get a longer travel fork. YMMV not valid in all 50 states some restrictions apply do not taunt happy fun ball etc.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 03-15-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added note about reviewer build suggestions

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I probably would have gone with this Chameleon over my Honzo AL/DL had the choice been available to me last year around this time.

I like the Honzo, but the lack of options for tire sizes in the rear is a bummer.

I considered making the switch to the new Chameleon, but I kind of want to just save money for a while and get a Stinner Tunnel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Honzo AL/DL fits 27.5+ easily. The problem is that it lowers the BB even more, and it's already crazy low. The Big Honzo has a higher BB. I pulled the rear wheel from the Big Honzo and stuffed it into the Honzo AL/DL, (and the Hei Hei 29) and it fits just fine.

I like that Santa Cruz is incorporating flip chips (Tallboy/Hightower) and dropouts (Chameleon) to compensate for the smaller diameter 27.5+ wheels. I think these provisions will set the standard for these swappable wheelsize bikes.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    this came off the link posted #22

Chameleon 'D Kit' : $1599 USD | $2249 CAD | 29lbs 29'er | 29.5lbs 27+
    Chameleon 'R Kit' : $1999 USD | $2749 CAD | 27.7lbs 29'er | 28.6lbs 27+
    Chameleon Frame Only : $749 USD | $1099 CAD | 4.6lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    No weights listed.

I calculated the weight based on manufacturer weight listings for each of the parts and it comes in at around 26.5lbs for the D+ build. Does that seem right? Seems lighter than I expected. I realize these numbers can be a fair bit off, so are we talking somewhere in the 27-28lb range for the D+ build?

Even still, that doesn't seem horrible considering how heavy the NX drivetrain is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    No weights listed.

BikeRadar says the Large 29er R1 build weighs 28.4 lbs (without pedals)

Santa Cruz Chameleon 2017 R1 29 first ride review - specs, weight, price review - BikeRadar USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    BikeRadar says the Large 29er R1 build weighs 28.4 lbs (without pedals)

Santa Cruz Chameleon 2017 R1 29 first ride review - specs, weight, price review - BikeRadar USA
    You can easily add another pound for the D build with it's Rockshox fork and NX 11-42 cassette vs the R build's Fox fork and 10-42 XD drive GX cassette.

mtbr member
    wonder how the 27.5+ wheels compare to the 29er wheels, weight wise

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by dunleavy View Post
    I did a little parking lot spin on a new Honzo (size large, 475 reach) and it didn't feel nearly as huge as I expected. Honestly, it didn't feel that much bigger than my regular bike that has a 425 reach. Go figure.
    Steep seat tube and short stem so your not that much farther away from the bars even though the reach is longer.

That's why I don't get the geo on the new Chameleon...?

AND it even says 140mm fork compatibility. They must mean the headtube is strong enough to take it. Not that the geometry of the bike is meant to use one!

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Honzo AL/DL fits 27.5+ easily. The problem is that it lowers the BB even more, and it's already crazy low. The Big Honzo has a higher BB. I pulled the rear wheel from the Big Honzo and stuffed it into the Honzo AL/DL, (and the Hei Hei 29) and it fits just fine.

I like that Santa Cruz is incorporating flip chips (Tallboy/Hightower) and dropouts (Chameleon) to compensate for the smaller diameter 27.5+ wheels. I think these provisions will set the standard for these swappable wheelsize bikes.
    Pry why most 27.5Plus Honzo/Process 111 conversions put on longer forks to help raise it back up some. (even the Hightower with the flip chips uses a longer fork to adjust the geo for the plus wheels)

I still don't think it makes sense the Chameleon says it has the same BB height with both wheel sizes? Maybe if you backed the adjustable drop out all the way out so the chainstay was as long as it could be and since the threads are angled with the chainstay it should lower the BB drop on the frame.

And then suck the drop out in as far as it could go which would raise the BB drop and then with the smaller outer diameter plus size wheels you might get the same BB height? (however it doesn't seem like the BB drop would change that much...??? BIDK)

BUT the geo chart says they were both done with the adjustable dropout at the same place...?

Also, the wheels front to back on the Plus version are the same size, but on the 29er the front is a little bigger. So the geometry measurements would have to be "slightly" different even with super techy drop outs...??? I call BS!

SO the only way the two versions could have the same geo is if they "cooked the books" and put on 2.2's front and back on the 29er wheels and 3.0's on the plus wheels! (not that I'm sure that even does it, but should be close)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My interpretation is that you need an entirely different dropout for 27.5+ than for 29, not that you just adjust one dropout for the conversion. So, the 27.5+ dropout could raise the chainstays enough to keep the BB height static.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    My interpretation is that you need an entirely different dropout for 27.5+ than for 29, not that you just adjust one dropout for the conversion. So, the 27.5+ dropout could raise the chainstays enough to keep the BB height static.
    "The frames use easily swappable wheelsize specific dropouts in order to maintain geometry with both sizes of hoops." From the NSMB article linked above.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

LCW
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

Ok so who's ridden one so far?

(Besides this guy: https://youtu.be/HjaMLm8qes0)

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    "The frames use easily swappable wheelsize specific dropouts in order to maintain geometry with both sizes of hoops." From the NSMB article linked above.
    Yeah, I checked the Santa Cruz website to see how much those dropouts run, but it doesn't appear they have them up there yet. Maybe they just give you both sets with the frame.

SS Pusher Man
    Yeah, I checked the Santa Cruz website to see how much those dropouts run, but it doesn't appear they have them up there yet. Maybe they just give you both sets with the frame.
    Not likely....the Highball and older Chameleon came with one set of dropouts....if you wanted the SS dropouts you had to pony up for them.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    So I rode 47 mi. round trip to a bike shop in Scottsdale to see the R1 27.5+ Cameleon today. Was a little strange as the Guy (Ricky) who posted a quick look video on Youtube of this bike was the person who helped me. Bike looks nice. They only had a large on the floor but are building up a med next week and was offered a parking lot ride. If it goes well I'll probably take it and if not it's a good excuse for another 47 mi. ride!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Lovely bike but $749 for the frame only seems pretty steep.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by AspiringXCGuy View Post
    Lovely bike but $749 for the frame only seems pretty steep.
    Same price as the Highball Al and the old Chameleon.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm really curious how it compares to steel frames in the same price range (e.g. Nimble 9)

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Not likely....the Highball and older Chameleon came with one set of dropouts....if you wanted the SS dropouts you had to pony up for them.
    I emailed SC the other day. It comes with the set you order (e.g. 29er geared only, etc); additional drop outs need to be ordered separately. Max tire clearance is 2.5" on 29 and 3.0" on 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a TB3 as my main trail bike, and I also have an old Niner SIR9 that is usually set up as a singlespeed, but I'll sometimes put gears on it. The SIR9 has a been a good bike, but I've gotten used to the more modern geometry of slacker head angles and shorter chainstays, so I've been thinking of getting a new hardtail frame at some point. The new Chameleon looks pretty good, but I have some mixed feelings about it.

A good thing is the swappable dropouts so I can set the bike up as singlespeed or geared, 29er, or 27.5+. The geometry also looks pretty good -- I like the short chainstays and the head angle is slack but not too slack.

For bad things, I generally prefer steel or titanium for hardtails and never much liked the feel of aluminum hardtails. The frame also seems heavy for aluminum. It's 4.5 lbs., which is as heavy as my steel SIR9. The seat tube angle also seems a little too slack, but I'd probably fine with sliding my saddle a little more forward on the rails.

I can get a good deal on the frame, but the problem is that I'd have to also buy a new fork and probably wheelset. I'd also want to buy a dropper post for it. So all that stuff would add up to a lot.

Most of my friends' SIR9's eventually broke (usually at the rear dropout). Maybe if mine breaks I'll have a good excuse to get a new hardtail frame.

mtbr member
    Gonna do a custom build with one of these, do 27.5+ and 29er use the same fork? Rockshox looks to sell pike/yari/lyrik as 27.5+/29 but fox seem to have 27.5 specific.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Gonna do a custom build with one of these, do 27.5+ and 29er use the same fork? Rockshox looks to sell pike/yari/lyrik as 27.5+/29 but fox seem to have 27.5 specific.
    I have a 27.5 plus Fox 34 and use it for a 29 plus setup... Going to it on this frame, 29 and 27.5 plus... Should be fun switching back and forth as needed... Ordered frame with both dropouts...

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    . Ordered frame.
    Curious,
    what size frame did you order and what was your eta?

I ordered a small and it's eta is April 17

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    For bad things, I generally prefer steel or titanium for hardtails and never much liked the feel of aluminum hardtails. The frame also seems heavy for aluminum. It's 4.5 lbs., which is as heavy as my steel SIR9.
    Spend an extra $150 ($999 total) for one of the 2017 boosted Vassago Verhauen frames arriving next week. It has similar updated geometry, can run all the same wheels/tires, and it's a steel frame that weighs the same as the Chameleon.

Thank me later.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Spend an extra $150 ($999 total) for one of the 2017 boosted Vassago Verhauen frames arriving next week. It has similar updated geometry, can run all the same wheels/tires, and it's a steel frame that weighs the same as the Chameleon.

Thank me later.
    Do you have a link to the updated geometry?

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newagebiker View Post
    Do you have a link to the updated geometry?
    Tom (from Vassago) provided me with all the new geo details verbally. If you have any specific questions, I can probably answer them.

That said, Tom also has an entire website overhaul ready to go live as soon as the 2017 frames arrive -- which should be sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.

If you have specific questions about the geo, send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer them.

You can also post your questions in the Vassago thread and I'll see them:
    Where are my Vassago Bretheren???

(Sorry for the thread hijack!!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm also very interested in this frame (the Santa Cruz, that is. I will probably also be very interested in the Vassago when I see the numbers for it.)

Here are a couple more ride reports for the Chameleon.

Singletrack Magazine | First Ride: The Chameleon From Santa Cruz Bicycles

Note that the bikeradar.com report is by the same guy from the youtube video that LCW posted. Now if only I had some money!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Curious,
    what size frame did you order and what was your eta?

I ordered a small and it's eta is April 17
    SIZE M... ETA was April as well...

mtbr member
    It looks like a nice bike but every time I buy a HT I realize I hate HT and sell it....lol
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'5 and is smack in the middle of a small and medium made my deposit and have yet to decide between sizes. I ride a medium 5010 and medium chameleon v6... Worried about the longer ty...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Were did you guys order from?
    Local shop?
    Online?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    So I rode 47 mi. round trip to a bike shop in Scottsdale to see the R1 27.5+ Cameleon today. Was a little strange as the Guy (Ricky) who posted a quick look video on Youtube of this bike was the person who helped me. Bike looks nice. They only had a large on the floor but are building up a med next week and was offered a parking lot ride. If it goes well I'll probably take it and if not it's a good excuse for another 47 mi. ride!
    Mole
    Which shop in Scottsdale had one? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Which shop in Scottsdale had one? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Bike Haus. I just got back from there again and will be taking the med. home tomorrow. The large is still there and I think they have a yet to be built small. Did a short ride around the shop area and only got to jump off curbs and ride it down some concrete stairs but enough to tell it fits right and steers well. Smooth ride front and back and excellent balance are what stood out on initial ride, brakes a little weak but not bedded in so expect them to improve (we'll see how much). Liked it enough to buy it, probably will get a chance to do a night ride tomorrow and have more (hopefully good things) to report.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hopefully by the time I save up for one, they'll have more colors!
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    Hopefully by the time I save up for one, they'll have more colors!
    I agree! I keep wanting to go see one at the nearest dealer (2 hours away from me), but then I remember I don't have any money right now.

mtbr member
    im ok with the colors. its different but not bad. i think this looks pretty badazz

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Frame arrived today!!! Earlier than expected!!!

The color is WAY nicer in person...

I don't have boost wheels yet, so need to scavenge of another bike for now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Frame arrived today!!! Earlier than expected!!!
    What was your original ETA? I put in an order (full bike order) with the LBS the day they officially announced this bike and was told the ship date would be April 12. Wondering if I have reason to get my hopes up for early delivery haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was told mid April... Totally caught me off guard... I don't have all the parts to build yet...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ordered mine uetwrday mostly custom. At 5'9"/5'10" on a good day went with the med.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Tried a 29 plus in the rear... No go using Chupacabras with i45 rims... It spun, but rubbed the seatstay where the tire was out of true... About 2mm clearance on the true side... Trying to find a 2.8 in 29plus, but don't think that tire exists... Will install a plus DHR2 and DHF and see... Calipers show they are about 3mm narrower than the Chupacabras.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Tried a 29 plus in the rear... No go using Chupacabras with i45 rims... It spun, but rubbed the seatstay where the tire was out of true... About 2mm clearance on the true side... Trying to find a 2.8 in 29plus, but don't think that tire exists... Will install a plus DHR2 and DHF and see... Calipers show they are about 3mm narrower than the Chupacabras.
    pictures please... i ordered a small... hopefully i get in May...

mtbr member
    Is there any place online that I can order one of these?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Is there any place online that I can order one of these?
    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NhdDEwMDE1Nw==

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post

Thank me later.
    Head tube angles aren't even close!
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Thanks, I wish they had the plus version at the cheaper price, unless im not seeing it.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Head tube angles aren't even close!
    You're right. I was just passed the geo for the new Vassago frames, and the HTA is 69* with a 120mm fork and regular 29er tires. The SC Chameleon is definitely a bit more slack, and the chainstays on the SC are 15mm shorter, as well (415 vs 430mm).

In fact, after finally seeing the brand new Vassago numbers, the two bikes are completely different animals.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I wish they had the plus version at the cheaper price, unless im not seeing it.
    id get that one

mtbr member
    I think availability is going to be an issue for a while. Rode my R1+ across town to the shop I got it at (only dealer in Phoenix whose had any) and was told it was good timing when I came in because the 3 they got were all they'd see till May. Also they happened to be having a Santa Cruz demo going on and the Santa Cruz employee working it had never even seen a Chameleon before today. Glad I got mine when I did!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ik have ask every dealer in the Netherlands and in Belgium, no one can delivier it. One dealer called to SC Germany and they also had no clue when it will be availlabe again :-(

Soy Chingon
    Ordered mine a couple days ago. LBS told me I would get it second week in May. The wait begins...

I was also told that there will not be too many of these bikes made. San Diego, where I live, will only be getting thirty of them for all the LBS.
    Soy Chingon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    New bike day!

This one came in as scheduled (was originally told April 12 when ordered, and that's when the shop got it). It got built up by the shop and I picked it up today. The only changes were a 32T chainring (better for West Michigan) and some Bombolonis because I know those roll and grip like crazy on our trails around here.

Haven't gotten it out on the trail yet, but even while messing around in the yard I can feel the balance and the maneuverability of this bike. Can't wait to take it out for a proper shakedown.

Side note: the shop said that their most recent order for one of these had a delivery date of late June. Yikes!

mtbr member
    thats a really interesting looking bike.... could be a solid option to replace the Stache! I'm also digging the colour combo
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    i replaced my 2016 stache 5 with it and don't regret it one bit, however with 28-inch inseam the smaller bike/tires suit me better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignition16 View Post
    New bike day!
    Haven't gotten it out on the trail yet, but even while messing around in the yard I can feel the balance and the maneuverability of this bike. Can't wait to take it out for a proper shakedown.
    I noticed that too right off. My "test ride" didn't even involve any dirt, just jumping off curbs and riding down some stairs. Bike is a quality tool!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ordered mine, a large, just under four weeks ago and was given an estimated date of April 18th, tomorrow. Stopped into the shop I ordered it from and they said no joy, estimated ship date now is May 8th

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bomboloni barely fits (pictured)... DHRII Plus has a little more room (not pictured)...

First off, all the reviews are spot on... Comfy in the rear, responsive in the crank, and rails hard!!!

Bought the frame and it weighed 5.4 lbs, size M (seat collar removed). 28 lbs on the nose as seen built... Sorry, for the crappy Anthropology shot...

Borrowed the wheels from another bike, as I didn't have any other Boost 29er wheels... Weight is slightly felt when climbing, but it is very stable - 780mm bar with 50mm stem, 120mm 27.5 plus fork... No dabs on the climbs yet though. 30x44 has been just enough...

Bombs down the chunk like my Nimble 9 and reminiscent of my Stache 5 Plus. The rear feels like I'm riding a plus tire, and closely muted like the N9 - close but not the same. Figured the stiff "cheena carbon" rims, i30 with 2.2 Ardent Race, would be jarring, but not at all - 17 psi, 250 lbs geared up.

Looking to setup in all configurations, as the 27.5 plus dropouts were also purchased. 130mm fork in 27.5 plus mode sounds spot on. 29plus rigid was always in my sights too, but will have to wait for a 2.8" 29er or 2.6" 29er for the rear. I really wish that 3.0" fit... Maybe the 2.6" will offset the front enough to get close to the target HT angle - 480mm A-C rigid fork. Doubtful, but maybe I'll try it with 2.2" rear first.

That said, my Stache 5 will be for sale... Rolling chassis: size 17.5, Miami Green, rigid fork and stock wheels... Might have kept the Stache if it was a size 18.5. Reach feels short now after riding the 440mm reach on the SC "lizard"...

I love this bike!!!

Sorry for you guys that have to wait for delivery. Feel free to ask me questions...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-cham_bombo_1.jpg  

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-cham_bombo_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bomboloni barely fits (pictured)... DHRII Plus has a little more room (not pictured)...

First off, all the reviews are spot on... Comfy in the rear, responsive in the crank, and rails hard!!!

Bought the frame and it weighed 5.4 lbs, size M (seat collar removed). 28 lbs on the nose as seen built... Sorry, for the crappy Anthropology shot...

Borrowed the wheels from another bike, as I didn't have any other Boost 29er wheels... Weight is slightly felt when climbing, but it is very stable - 780mm bar with 50mm stem, 120mm 27.5 plus fork... No dabs on the climbs yet though. 30x44 has been just enough...

Bombs down the chunk like my Nimble 9 and reminiscent of my Stache 5 Plus. The rear feels like I'm riding a plus tire, and closely muted like the N9 - close but not the same. Figured the stiff "cheena carbon" rims, i30 with 2.2 Ardent Race, would be jarring, but not at all - 17 psi, 250 lbs geared up.

Looking to setup in all configurations, as the 27.5 plus dropouts were also purchased. 130mm fork in 27.5 plus mode sounds spot on. 29plus rigid was always in my sights too, but will have to wait for a 2.8" 29er or 2.6" 29er for the rear. I really wish that 3.0" fit... Maybe the 2.6" will offset the front enough to get close to the target HT angle - 480mm A-C rigid fork. Doubtful, but maybe I'll try it with 2.2" rear first.

That said, my Stache 5 will be for sale... Rolling chassis: size 17.5, Miami Green, rigid fork and stock wheels... Might have kept the Stache if it was a size 18.5. Reach feels short now after riding the 440mm reach on the SC "lizard"...

I love this bike!!!

Sorry for you guys that have to wait for delivery. Feel free to ask me questions...
    envious... can't wait for my small frame to arrive... will build it as 27.5 plus. I already have a Highball as 29'er... what rims are those?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    envious... can't wait for my small frame to arrive... will build it as 27.5 plus. I already have a Highball as 29'er... what rims are those?
    China carbon hoops, i30... Laced by Dusty at Hubsessed with Onyx hubs... The silent roll is trippy...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    5.4 pounds for the frame , thought it was supposed to be about 4.5 pounds.

I love this bike!!!

mtbr member
    Well they are sold out of the plus version and only have a select few 29ers available.

mtbr member
    Oops meant to add this

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    5.4 pounds for the frame , thought it was supposed to be about 4.5 pounds.
    Sorry, I meant 5 lbs, 4 oz... so more like 5.25 lbs, but still heavy...

mtbr member
    Guessing no one has managed to get a frame only if the completes are that scarce?

Australia
    For those who've moved from a 29+ Stache (with suspension fork, not rigid) it would be nice to hear how the 2 compare. The new Chameleon looks sick. I bet that colour combo is awesome IRL.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    For those who've moved from a 29+ Stache (with suspension fork, not rigid) it would be nice to hear how the 2 compare. The new Chameleon looks sick. I bet that colour combo is awesome IRL.
    My Stache 5 (2016 rigid) is/was fun as hell!!! I stripped all the stock parts and made it my own. I rode it rigid 80% of the time for typical SoCal trails, and would install a Fox 34 for shuttle run rides. Very capable in the fast, flowy, and rocky stuff. However, I discovered the bike was getting twitchy in the steep downs and had to be mindful at times, squishy or rigid. Never crashed, but figured I should have gotten the 18.5 and not 17.5 size. Tried a longer stem, and sliding the wheel all the way back, but it lost some of its flickability. Almost bought a larger frameset but built a Slash instead. Felt weird spending more coin to build an almost identical bike. My Stache would still be in one piece if not for the new Chameleon.

The longer reach of most new bikes really intrigued me, especially because of the scenario with my Stache. First ride with the Lizard blew me away! 29er mode though, with same Fox 34. Railed hard and stable in everything else. Better acceleration than the Stache, but lost the float roll. Felt higher on the Chameleon vs the Stache, where I was more in the bike, than on top. Not sure what the BB height difference is, but handling was not impacted. In terms of comfort when bombing down the chunk, with a 2.2 Ardent race on i30 rim felt very similar to the Stache with 3.0 rubber. It's not the wheel or rubber, but the frame doing its magic. Difficult to quantify, but it's there.

Will try 29plus with a rigid fork To see how it feels. 2.2 in the back to slack it out, and will try 2.6 too. 27.5plus wheels are being built, so I'll get to try it that too.

Australia
    Thanks mate. It's interesting to hear that in certain situations the 2.2 felt similar to the Stache with its 3.0 in terms of comfort. It's great that you're going to be able to try a multitude of different wheel/tyre combos over the next few months.

I love my Stache (a lot!) but the grass is always greener on the other side right? I'd just need to set aside an additional $1500 for all the purple anodized Hope bits in the promo shots, haha.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Guessing no one has managed to get a frame only if the completes are that scarce?
    got mine ordered as frame only option... dealer in the Philippines said I was one of the first batch to get ordered and arrival in SCB factory/assembly is 1st week of May... it mght take extra long to get it in the Philippines as it comes from Taiwan, then US, then back to the Philippines...

mtbr member
    Chameleon Bling - Mole

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+-001.jpg

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Chameleon Bling - Mole
    Name:  homer.jpg
Views: 5974
Size:  25.7 KB
    29+ Stache

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Has anyone tried to fit a 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon or NN to a 2017 chameleon?

mtbr member
    Well I went a little different direction and went with a NS Essentric Djambo, the bikes seem real close and the frame cost me 325 bucks. NS Bikes 2017 - Stay True!
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Next available on autumn 2017 says my LBS.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Next available on autumn 2017 says my LBS.
    Yeah, mine said they will release new build kits and prices in July. They are willing to sell me their demo bike, but it is the D+ kit - not sure I want to go in w/ the Recon fork.

mtbr member
    Well I went a little different direction and went with a NS Essentric Djambo, the bikes seem real close and the frame cost me 325 bucks. NS Bikes 2017 - Stay True!
    That's a pretty tempting deal. Only thing that keeps me off it is that with a 140 or 150mm fork, the HTA would probably be 64 degrees. Too slack for me.

mtbr member
    Put my order in for a D build 29er today. LBS says mid-July arrival date

since 4/10/2009
    Pretty sure my next bike will be some sort of versatile AM hardtail that can do either 27.5+ or 29" wheels and this one is high on my list to build from the frame. It seems that everything I have access to locally has long waitlists, though.

My wife had better decide what new FS she wants and get that stuff ordered, because she'd get pissed at me for ordering a new bike before she does.

I just specced out a possible build to see what sorts of weights I'd be looking at. I have a number of different industry connections, so thankfully I won't have to pay retail (but that makes it next to impossible to come up with a price list before I start buying stuff). I definitely didn't go weight weenie for the build, but it at least looks reasonably possible to get build weight for a Chameleon frame to around 26lb (MRP Ribbon fork, Arc40 27.5+ rims/I9 hubs, SRAM GX 1x11, Shimano 180/160 brakes, Thomson Covert dropper, DMR Vault pedals, not a drop of carbon in the build).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    That's a pretty tempting deal. Only thing that keeps me off it is that with a 140 or 150mm fork, the HTA would probably be 64 degrees. Too slack for me.
    I just finished my build with a 150mm fork, bike looks super slack, Im waiting on a shorter stem than I will take sone pics.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

Subscribing here. Thinking about getting one for my wife who rides 3-5 times a year on paths and some hard pack and currently doesn't have a bike. I'm thinking I can set it up as kind of a dirt jump bike for myself although I actually plan not to jump it other than trail stuff but to ride it around town on 20 mile rides. I am currently riding a 24" bmx on these rides and I love it. I also have a new Tallboy 3 and I love that too. I'm thinking either a small or medium Chameleon might fill that gap and do double duty for when my wife wants to ride. Just got off the phone with my LBS and he said the SC rep stopped by 2 weeks ago and said they are all sold out and it's going to be some time before they get more. He's calling to confirm for me.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast