Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+

548K views 3K replies 365 participants last post by  laegrim 
#1 ·
#135 ·
I have had my 27 plus Chameleon for a month now. I started out with 29 wheels and did not feel the love for some reason. Switched to the stock 27 plus set up and to me a huge difference. Bike became more fun, rails the turns now. The stock wheelset is heavy for climbing but really doesn't do too bad. Love the hard tail for climbing. I get no peddle strikes at all. I think that is why the 29er wheels made me feel disconnected is because the Bottom bracket is definitely not to low and the 29er wheels were about 3/4 inch taller.
I agree with a previous poster that the cockpit is cramped. I am just under 6 feet tall have a large frameset and
I added an after market longer stem with more rise to it and higher rise bars which helped. I really think a 140mm fork would help with fit. For me a raise in the front end up would be nice. Then I could go back to the stock stem with strait bars. Really fun bike. It is just taking awhile to get completely dialed to my liking.

#137 ·
I thought that was the case but my LBS said there are really only two available drop-outs. I thought from the pre market stuff there were three. The 27 plus and the 29 are the same. The option is the single speed drop out. I would like to know if my LBS was wrong but I doubt it. I really do not care at this point because the more I ride this bike the more I like it in 27 plus format. To much fun. I kinda wish there was some adjustment in the stock drop-out to make the wheel base even shorter. My current tire a 2.8 Rocket Ron on the rear could be moved farther forward with no clearance problems.

#138 ·
Articles at the bike's release stated there were four different sets of dropouts - Two boost and two 142. Each axle type had one dropout set that was 8mm lower than the other to make up for the height difference between 29er and 27.5x2.8 tires while keeping the geometry fairly similar.

That said, with the limited stock of frames, it wouldn't surprise me if SC hasn't gotten around to making a good stock of the different spare dropouts yet.

#141 ·
I think my LBS gave me the wrong information when I inquired about getting 29er drop-outs for my 27plus. BertRoot and Ignition are correct. I went back to the release pictures that show the 4 drop-outs available. It was clear there is a difference between the 29 and 27 plus. Without throwing my LBS under the bus I figure they were not available when I asked about getting some. Who knows? Never-the-less I am very happy with 27 plus being the way to go for me. I am old school and never had a dropper seat post. I think its time for me to get one and get some air on this ripper!

#142 ·
Keep swinging between one of these and a cotic solaris max as a general use winter & light trail bike. I will initially build as 27+ but plan to swap out wheels from my full suss 29 when appropriate. I have not been on a hard tail for years and wondered if the new chameleon is a comfortable ride when compared to steel? (Still not seeing many ride reports online since launch as I guess most people have them on back order!)

#144 ·
Nice start there Bert. To bad your just one wheel short of a test ride. What size frame and how much travel on your fork? I just pulled the trigger on a Fox 140 fork to replace my stock 120mm Fox Rhythm. I feel like my large framed Chameleon could use more travel.
I will post a ride review after I get it dialed and a few rides under me.
Good luck with yours.
BTW. I checked out Jungle for the SC 29 dropouts. Very nice option for you. I am not aware of such company in the USA the has such a large offering of parts. Too bad they do not ship out of the UK. At this point experimenting with 29 set-up is a no for me. I sold my 29 wheel set to off set the cost of a new fork and dropper post. It never ends.

#145 ·
Jungle are the UK importer for SC. I have put a 140mm Boost Pike on a medium frame but the wheel I got was a 100mm hub with a 10mm adapter so sent it back for a proper Hope Boost unit. Shop screwed up but wheel should be here Friday. Frustrating seeing it on the stand like that.

#150 ·
My LBS has just advised that my frame will now not be here till mid August.... I ordered mine mid May.

Gives me a it more time to source bits for the build but a little annoying...

Any recommendations on wheels ? I am going for the 27.5+ .

#152 ·
Nice ride BertRoot. Enjoy. Every time I ride mine I come back with a smile. Really amazing ride for a hard tail. I am using 2.8 Rocket Rons front and rear on 40mm rims. Air at 14 lbs rear and 11 in the front. I am at 170 lbs currently for ride gear on weigh in and it is real smooth. Not missing rear suspension at all. How is the 140 fork?

#153 ·
Fork rides really well and won't miss the rear sus till I hit something big as it does ride smooth. Best thing is the weight or lack of it. Looked high at the front when I first got the wheel in but the ride is how I wanted it to be, low rise bar, short headtube and 0 degree stem all seem to bring it together with the 140 fork. Will take it out later and dial the forks a bit more.

#156 ·
5 foot 9 with normal legs and got a medium. Fits great and not got the seat up high really. Feels longer than my other bike but that feels a little short and will probably get a 20mm longer stem soon. Running a 50mm stem and a 780mm bar. Feels similar in length to my old 2008 Orange Five.

#157 ·
Looking very nice Bertroot - I think I will go for a set of hope wheels also , after seeing them in a pic - it would be wrong not too 😉

I have gone for a 50mm Easton Havoc stem and an Easton Haven carbon bar.

Going to get the Hope bits in purple also (seat clamp, headset cup) and have an Easton seat post.

What saddle did you go for? my current bike has a crank brothers Iodine 3 but that is not comfortable on long rides and is in white so won't swap over - was looking at WTB Volt team or comp.

August delivery cannot come quick enough now.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.