Trail hardtail
• Adjustable Drop-outs
• 29 or 27.5 Plus wheel options
• Single speed compatibility
• Boost rear spacing
• 67.5 Degree HT Angle

D Kit
• Recon Silver 120mm fork on both 29 and 27.5 Plus
• 1x11 SRAM NX drivetrain (11-42 cassette)
• SRAM Level Brakes
• Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Front / Rear

R1 Kit
• Fox Rhythm 120mm fork on both 29 and 27.5 Plus
• 1x11 SRAM NX Drivetrain (XD/10-42 cassette)
• SRAM Level T Brakes
• Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Front / Rear

#16 ·
Well the color looks a lot better in these shots and on CBO. (MTBR color looked very baby puke green)

I don't get why they put such a slack seat tube on it?

More reach needs to be accompanied by a steeper seat tube to keep the top tube number in check. They've got an XXL top tube on a XL bike with a Medium head tube length but at least the angle on the head tube is decently slack...? WTH

Also they already have the Highball 27.5. So they have "tame hardtail" totally covered. The next time they update the molds for the highball 29 they could have added a little extra 27.5+ width clearance and had this bike covered. To call this a Chameleon it should have been ready and waiting to get a 130-140 fork and not end up hanging your ass over your rear tire... (read steeper seat tube angle) OR if not that then how come no rack and extra waterbottle mounts. Why no nut strap, etc. If it's not gonna be all mountain than it would have been cool for it to be set up for backcountry...

Same thing with the GT Pantera. The name and history is awesome to me. Army green is awesome! But like this it's got some odd geometry choices.

The great thing with the Chameleon's of old, (I guess not this one OR the one before it), was that you could set it up from freeride/DJ/DS to cross country with the same frame. (and obviously deciding what's important to you and sizing accordingly)

Still, some black stickers over the purple and it would look good. And maybe I could live with slamming my seat all the way forward...??? OR not over forking it and sizing down to a large BUT then having to run a riser stem with riser bars so I don't OTB!!!

EDIT/looks like they don't cut the steerer tube? :) so I guess I would just need to keep 4 inches of steerer and I won't OTB...??? :)

Would really like to have owned a Chameleon again, had been waiting and waiting for this and had been holding off buying a 27.5+. At least with hardtails you can still afford to try it out to see if you like it without mortgaging your first born...

#21 ·
BTW its crazy that it says the Large is for 5'10" to 6'1'' but the XL is for 6'1'' to 6'6''.

I dont know but that reach looks crazy long to me.
I did a little parking lot spin on a new Honzo (size large, 475 reach) and it didn't feel nearly as huge as I expected. Honestly, it didn't feel that much bigger than my regular bike that has a 425 reach. Go figure.

#19 ·
No weights listed.

I calculated the weight based on manufacturer weight listings for each of the parts and it comes in at around 26.5lbs for the D+ build. Does that seem right? Seems lighter than I expected. I realize these numbers can be a fair bit off, so are we talking somewhere in the 27-28lb range for the D+ build?

Even still, that doesn't seem horrible considering how heavy the NX drivetrain is.

#25 ·
this came off the link posted #22

Chameleon 'D Kit' : $1599 USD | $2249 CAD | 29lbs 29'er | 29.5lbs 27+
Chameleon 'R Kit' : $1999 USD | $2749 CAD | 27.7lbs 29'er | 28.6lbs 27+
Chameleon Frame Only : $749 USD | $1099 CAD | 4.6lbs

No weights listed.

I calculated the weight based on manufacturer weight listings for each of the parts and it comes in at around 26.5lbs for the D+ build. Does that seem right? Seems lighter than I expected. I realize these numbers can be a fair bit off, so are we talking somewhere in the 27-28lb range for the D+ build?

Even still, that doesn't seem horrible considering how heavy the NX drivetrain is.

#20 ·
That geometry chart doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't put too much stock into it quite yet.

How the heck does top tube length change by wheelsize, but bottom bracket height stays the same? See? It's a bit funky and might be revised later.

This bike is amazing though. Great color, great spec. Certainly gives the Kona Honzo/Big Honzo a run for its money.

#23 ·
I probably would have gone with this Chameleon over my Honzo AL/DL had the choice been available to me last year around this time.

I like the Honzo, but the lack of options for tire sizes in the rear is a bummer.

I considered making the switch to the new Chameleon, but I kind of want to just save money for a while and get a Stinner Tunnel.

#24 ·
Honzo AL/DL fits 27.5+ easily. The problem is that it lowers the BB even more, and it's already crazy low. The Big Honzo has a higher BB. I pulled the rear wheel from the Big Honzo and stuffed it into the Honzo AL/DL, (and the Hei Hei 29) and it fits just fine.

I like that Santa Cruz is incorporating flip chips (Tallboy/Hightower) and dropouts (Chameleon) to compensate for the smaller diameter 27.5+ wheels. I think these provisions will set the standard for these swappable wheelsize bikes.

#30 ·
Honzo AL/DL fits 27.5+ easily. The problem is that it lowers the BB even more, and it's already crazy low. The Big Honzo has a higher BB. I pulled the rear wheel from the Big Honzo and stuffed it into the Honzo AL/DL, (and the Hei Hei 29) and it fits just fine.

I like that Santa Cruz is incorporating flip chips (Tallboy/Hightower) and dropouts (Chameleon) to compensate for the smaller diameter 27.5+ wheels. I think these provisions will set the standard for these swappable wheelsize bikes.
Pry why most 27.5Plus Honzo/Process 111 conversions put on longer forks to help raise it back up some. (even the Hightower with the flip chips uses a longer fork to adjust the geo for the plus wheels)

I still don't think it makes sense the Chameleon says it has the same BB height with both wheel sizes? Maybe if you backed the adjustable drop out all the way out so the chainstay was as long as it could be and since the threads are angled with the chainstay it should lower the BB drop on the frame.

And then suck the drop out in as far as it could go which would raise the BB drop and then with the smaller outer diameter plus size wheels you might get the same BB height? (however it doesn't seem like the BB drop would change that much...??? BIDK)

BUT the geo chart says they were both done with the adjustable dropout at the same place...?

Also, the wheels front to back on the Plus version are the same size, but on the 29er the front is a little bigger. So the geometry measurements would have to be "slightly" different even with super techy drop outs...??? I call BS! :)

SO the only way the two versions could have the same geo is if they "cooked the books" and put on 2.2's front and back on the 29er wheels and 3.0's on the plus wheels! (not that I'm sure that even does it, but should be close) :)

#36 ·
So I rode 47 mi. round trip to a bike shop in Scottsdale to see the R1 27.5+ Cameleon today. Was a little strange as the Guy (Ricky) who posted a quick look video on Youtube of this bike was the person who helped me. Bike looks nice. They only had a large on the floor but are building up a med next week and was offered a parking lot ride. If it goes well I'll probably take it and if not it's a good excuse for another 47 mi. ride!
Mole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.