mtbr member

Santa Cruz Bronson Color Choice - Any Issues w/ Carbon or Black Matte Paint ?

I'm about to pull the trigger on an SC Bronson and would like to understand if anyone has had any issues w/ SC's Carbon or Black Matte paint holding up. Any cracks, chipping or discoloration over time?

I'm sort of indifferent on both paint choices in a good way. I have ridden a Carbon Matte/Orange and do like the way the bike looks dark. I'm also open to a color, even if it's Tennis (Ball) Yellow.

Thanks in advance!

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Zero issues with the Matte Black and this is my second carbon TB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Bronson Color Choice - Any Issues w/ Carbon or Black Matte Paint ?-image.jpg  

Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

b a n n e d
    I think the matte holds up pretty well. I've got a buddy with a TBc in matte black that looks great after several years of regular riding.

I'm not sold on the Tennis Yellow either . . . I've seen it in person and DAMN is it a "loud" color. It looks really great in pictures, but they don't really capture just how bright a color it is. Its not that I don't like it, but I don't like it as much after seeing it in person.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Santa Cruz Bronson Color Choice - Any Issues w/ Carbon or Black Matte Paint ?

My glosses have held up well but I've had them protected with 3M tape and wrapped the chainstay.

The Nomad (painted) matte white was known for easily chipping on the frames edges.....worst paint job I've had on a SC carbon.

Since having a matte black TBc a couple years ago, I'm sold on the durability of these unpainted frames as they don't look taty after a few months.

Matte black also looks great with a quick wipe over...it's stealthiness is a great benefit on the trail, keeping it below the radar of prying eyes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnuZun View Post
    anyone has had any issues w/ SC's Carbon or Black Matte paint holding up. Any cracks, chipping or discoloration over time?
    I've had 4 SCB black matte carbon frames, and have never had any problem with cracks, chips or discolorations. If you dislike cable rub marks, make sure to use the clear stickers or whatever protection you want in the areas of cable rub (especially the head tube).

mtbr member
    pachaven - thanks for the feedback.

sweet ride.. nice bike too!

mtbr member

Matte Carbon FTW

Gents - thanks for the feedback and insight on the matte paint. Bronson in carbon matte/orange it will be. Stealth in the woods!