Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    aka...appBLING72

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!

Well, I've had a couple rides on the Bronson with the DB Air to compare it to the Fox that was on it originally. And it is NIGHT AND DAY!!!!

I'm still dialing settings and will give a more in depth review when I get a little more time on it to give it a proper write up. But so far, this bike flat out rips!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronsondba2.jpg  

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronsondba3.jpg  

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronson-dba.jpg  

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronsondba4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice! Will be interested to read your more in-depth review of the new shock.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Very nice. I look forward to hearing how you get on with it as I might ditch the RP23 CTD as soon as my Bronson arrives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is your bike still sub 26lbs? Isn't the cane creek double barrel air considerably heavier then the fox you took off?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    Is your bike still sub 26lbs? Isn't the cane creek double barrel air considerably heavier then the fox you took off?
    Now it's sitting at 26.2 It was right at .5lb gain. But I can tell you it has been worth every gram! The DB Air, which I've had on most all of my bikes, tracks like nothing else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How does it climb/pedal?
    Out of the saddle?
    I'm sure it's an awesome shock, and I just picked up a bronson,
    Looking to swap out the shock, but not sure I want to give up
    Lockout.
    TIA!
    Cheers

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by tppon View Post
    How does it climb/pedal?
    Out of the saddle?
    I'm sure it's an awesome shock, and I just picked up a bronson,
    Looking to swap out the shock, but not sure I want to give up
    Lockout.
    TIA!
    Cheers
    On smooth terrain it climbs almist as good as the 29" Stumpy hard tail I was racing this summer. On anything with roots/rocks or dips, it's faster because the rear tracks but doesn't spike or skip. The whole idea of the DB Air CS is efficiency when climbing. If your tire is skipping across the trail you don't have traction and you can't put power down. It's hard to tell what it's doing on smooth stuff, but when start climbing rough technical trail engaging the CS switch makes a huge difference. It also lets me run the DB Air on optimal traction settings for when I'm descending with the CS switch off. It really is an amazing feature and enhancement to an already great shock. Transforms the Bronson into an even more capable descender IMHO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice!
    Thanks for posting that up.
    Sounds good, gonna look for a bike I can
    Demo with a cs.
    This float just ain't cutting it.

mtbr member
    What was the configuration required for this shock to be installed on the Bronson? Was the 0.6 spacer required?

mtbr member
    I have a float x on my tallboy LTc and now on my Bronson, and am much happier too. With the db air shock, are u able to fit a water bottle in the fram3?
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by argibson View Post
    I have a float x on my tallboy LTc and now on my Bronson, and am much happier too. With the db air shock, are u able to fit a water bottle in the fram3?
    Haven't tried yet. I'm waiting on a side load Specialized Zee cage to come in and will try. I like not having to wear a camelbak on shorter rides

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    What was the configuration required for this shock to be installed on the Bronson? Was the 0.6 spacer required?
    No, right now it is stock. Cane creek was working with Santa Cruz last week I believe, to get a general base tune for the Bronson. My settings are changing a little as I ride trying different things out, but so far I'm liking it with the below settings until cane creek puts up something else to try. Curious to see how close I am to theirs.

All adjustments from full open:
    HSC - .75 turns in
    LSC - 6-8 clicks in
    HSR - 2.25 turns in
    LSR - 11 clicks in

I'm 185lbs ready to ride running around 135-145 psi mark yielding about 28-30% sag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    No, right now it is stock. Cane creek was working with Santa Cruz last week I believe, to get a general base tune for the Bronson.
    As in you ordered your Bronson C from SC with the CC DB Air and it came from SC installed? Or your LBS replaced the stock Fox Float CTD with the CC DB Air for you?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    As in you ordered your Bronson C from SC with the CC DB Air and it came from SC installed? Or your LBS replaced the stock Fox Float CTD with the CC DB Air for you?
    My Bronson came with the Fox. I ordered the DB Air CS from Suspension Experts and installed it myself.
    Last edited by aappling72; 09-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Ash, whats the shock length/stroke on the Bronson? I know its shorter than the older SC standard of 8.5" X 2.5". That Screaming Yellow Zonker looks good. I rode a 27.5 wheeled bike a couple weeks ago and really liked the way the wheels handled even though I did not like the bike. A 27.5 SC of some sort is in my future be it a Heckler or a Bronson.

Name:  3952719299_d06e53ef50.jpg
Views: 2959
Size:  195.4 KB

Now if it was me, I would make a small copy of the mohawked Screaming Yellow Zonker guy and adhere him to the top tube out of respect...or insanity.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Ash, whats the shock length/stroke on the Bronson? I know its shorter than the older SC standard of 8.5" X 2.5". That Screaming Yellow Zonker looks good. I rode a 27.5 wheeled bike a couple weeks ago and really liked the way the wheels handled even though I did not like the bike. A 27.5 SC of some sort is in my future be it a Heckler or a Bronson.

Now if it was me, I would make a small copy of the mohawked Screaming Yellow Zonker guy and adhere him to the top tube out of respect...or insanity.[/B]
    That's funny! I think the size is 7.875 x 2.25. I'd have to check.

mtbr member
    What's the latest word on the DB Air CS on your Bronson....?
    Have you changed any settings? More in depth ride report.....
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by cryde View Post
    What's the latest word on the DB Air CS on your Bronson....?
    Have you changed any settings? More in depth ride report.....
    Well my opinion...fwiw, is that this new generation of VPP feels amazing. Honestly it felt pretty good with the stock fox until things got high speed and chattery. The Cane Creek DB Air CS, just took a great bike and design, and made it better. At the cost of a .4-.5lbs of weight, yes, but so worth it when the descent starts.

Things I've noticed that the DB seems to excel at on the Bronson:

1- Small bump tracking at slow speed is much more sensitive. Almost giving a feeling of the tire is low on air. This a good thing and happens with the CS lever on or off

2- The CS feature works well. I like being able to remove the compromise that had to be made with the first generation DB Air between good descending and efficient pedaling. Now I can set the shock up for optimal traction and DH handling and utilize the CS when I want to stand and hammer a hill or just pace up a gravel grind. Keep in mind, the Bronson is an efficient pedaling bike even with the CS switch off.

3- Square edge impacts, like large roots, rocks, etc...that are hit at speed don't seem to cause the bike to lose composure or give a bucking sensation.

4- High Speed cornering traction is the one of jewels of this shock. Leaning into off camber, rutted, rooty sections of single track (when set right) the DB excels!

5- Jumps medium sized drops (4-6 ft with decent transitions) and the bike lands like a cat with the DB. You almost expect to prepare for some feedback from the bike due to hitting the jump/drop a little weird, but the bike just feels composed ...frt (RS Pike) and rear

Those are my initial (2 weeks of riding) thoughts. Again, settings that are off, can make or break the ride with the DB on any bike, but I've owned DBs for about 7 years and ridden them everything from DH bikes to Turner 6 Packs, Intense AM bikes, yeti SB, Mojo HD, Spec Enduro, and now the Bronson. Setup on this shock is crucial which is why CC has created the Base Tune lounge. They haven't posted a Bronson starting point yet, but I spoke with them and got a general starting point and have fine tunes from there. If you are the kind of person after the best performance you can get, the quit waiting and pick up the Cane Creek DB Air CS. I cannot recommend a better place to get it from than www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com

Ask for Kevin. They are an authorized Cane Creek service center as well. So, if there was an issue they would handle it with extreme professionalism. Not to mention, they are about 15-20 minutes away from Cane Creek so that sure helps with any warranty issue should you have one.

Hope that helps. If I run into any other notable things I'll post back.

mtbr member
    Fantastic... Thanks for posting up the report!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm running a CCDBA on my Nomadc and couldn't be happier. Night and day difference from the RP23. I don't like propedal switches because I always end up hitting a section mad realizing I forgot to turn it off. These bikes pedal just fine with the VPP. I actually feel more mid stroke support on the CCDBA than I did with the RP23 and the propedal engaged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm planning to do this same upgrade to my Bronson, will get the frame in a week, now ordering that ccdba cs, since I don't have the frame yet, I need to ask you guys, what it the correct size mounting hardware from canecreek, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm or 9,5mm

Thanks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh, that was easy
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Did your shock come with the proper mounting hardware?

Just got mine for my bronson and its just the bare shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Tam Haze View Post
    Did your shock come with the proper mounting hardware?

Just got mine for my bronson and its just the bare shock.
    When you order one, the supplier should order it with the proper mountain hardware for you. For instance, when I ordered mine via bikerbob - he asked which bike it was to be mounted to. The shock arrived w/ the proper hardware with it. Maybe whoever you ordered it from could also ship you the missing hardware?

Otherwise I'm sure you can contact a distributor and order it. Not much special to it other than the spacing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast