Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    aka...appBLING72

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!

Well, I've had a couple rides on the Bronson with the DB Air to compare it to the Fox that was on it originally. And it is NIGHT AND DAY!!!!

I'm still dialing settings and will give a more in depth review when I get a little more time on it to give it a proper write up. But so far, this bike flat out rips!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronsondba2.jpg  

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronsondba3.jpg  

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronson-dba.jpg  

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane  Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!-bronsondba4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice! Will be interested to read your more in-depth review of the new shock.
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Very nice. I look forward to hearing how you get on with it as I might ditch the RP23 CTD as soon as my Bronson arrives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is your bike still sub 26lbs? Isn't the cane creek double barrel air considerably heavier then the fox you took off?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    Is your bike still sub 26lbs? Isn't the cane creek double barrel air considerably heavier then the fox you took off?
    Now it's sitting at 26.2 It was right at .5lb gain. But I can tell you it has been worth every gram! The DB Air, which I've had on most all of my bikes, tracks like nothing else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How does it climb/pedal?
    Out of the saddle?
    I'm sure it's an awesome shock, and I just picked up a bronson,
    Looking to swap out the shock, but not sure I want to give up
    Lockout.
    TIA!
    Cheers

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by tppon View Post
    How does it climb/pedal?
    Out of the saddle?
    I'm sure it's an awesome shock, and I just picked up a bronson,
    Looking to swap out the shock, but not sure I want to give up
    Lockout.
    TIA!
    Cheers
    On smooth terrain it climbs almist as good as the 29" Stumpy hard tail I was racing this summer. On anything with roots/rocks or dips, it's faster because the rear tracks but doesn't spike or skip. The whole idea of the DB Air CS is efficiency when climbing. If your tire is skipping across the trail you don't have traction and you can't put power down. It's hard to tell what it's doing on smooth stuff, but when start climbing rough technical trail engaging the CS switch makes a huge difference. It also lets me run the DB Air on optimal traction settings for when I'm descending with the CS switch off. It really is an amazing feature and enhancement to an already great shock. Transforms the Bronson into an even more capable descender IMHO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice!
    Thanks for posting that up.
    Sounds good, gonna look for a bike I can
    Demo with a cs.
    This float just ain't cutting it.

mtbr member
    What was the configuration required for this shock to be installed on the Bronson? Was the 0.6 spacer required?

mtbr member
    I have a float x on my tallboy LTc and now on my Bronson, and am much happier too. With the db air shock, are u able to fit a water bottle in the fram3?
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by argibson View Post
    I have a float x on my tallboy LTc and now on my Bronson, and am much happier too. With the db air shock, are u able to fit a water bottle in the fram3?
    Haven't tried yet. I'm waiting on a side load Specialized Zee cage to come in and will try. I like not having to wear a camelbak on shorter rides

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    What was the configuration required for this shock to be installed on the Bronson? Was the 0.6 spacer required?
    No, right now it is stock. Cane creek was working with Santa Cruz last week I believe, to get a general base tune for the Bronson. My settings are changing a little as I ride trying different things out, but so far I'm liking it with the below settings until cane creek puts up something else to try. Curious to see how close I am to theirs.

All adjustments from full open:
    HSC - .75 turns in
    LSC - 6-8 clicks in
    HSR - 2.25 turns in
    LSR - 11 clicks in

I'm 185lbs ready to ride running around 135-145 psi mark yielding about 28-30% sag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    No, right now it is stock. Cane creek was working with Santa Cruz last week I believe, to get a general base tune for the Bronson.
    As in you ordered your Bronson C from SC with the CC DB Air and it came from SC installed? Or your LBS replaced the stock Fox Float CTD with the CC DB Air for you?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    As in you ordered your Bronson C from SC with the CC DB Air and it came from SC installed? Or your LBS replaced the stock Fox Float CTD with the CC DB Air for you?
    My Bronson came with the Fox. I ordered the DB Air CS from Suspension Experts and installed it myself.
    Last edited by aappling72; 09-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.

I fix choppers
    Ash, whats the shock length/stroke on the Bronson? I know its shorter than the older SC standard of 8.5" X 2.5". That Screaming Yellow Zonker looks good. I rode a 27.5 wheeled bike a couple weeks ago and really liked the way the wheels handled even though I did not like the bike. A 27.5 SC of some sort is in my future be it a Heckler or a Bronson.

Name:  3952719299_d06e53ef50.jpg
Views: 8752
Size:  195.4 KB

Now if it was me, I would make a small copy of the mohawked Screaming Yellow Zonker guy and adhere him to the top tube out of respect...or insanity.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Ash, whats the shock length/stroke on the Bronson? I know its shorter than the older SC standard of 8.5" X 2.5". That Screaming Yellow Zonker looks good. I rode a 27.5 wheeled bike a couple weeks ago and really liked the way the wheels handled even though I did not like the bike. A 27.5 SC of some sort is in my future be it a Heckler or a Bronson.

Now if it was me, I would make a small copy of the mohawked Screaming Yellow Zonker guy and adhere him to the top tube out of respect...or insanity.[/B]
    That's funny! I think the size is 7.875 x 2.25. I'd have to check.

mtbr member
    What's the latest word on the DB Air CS on your Bronson....?
    Have you changed any settings? More in depth ride report.....
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by cryde View Post
    What's the latest word on the DB Air CS on your Bronson....?
    Have you changed any settings? More in depth ride report.....
    Well my opinion...fwiw, is that this new generation of VPP feels amazing. Honestly it felt pretty good with the stock fox until things got high speed and chattery. The Cane Creek DB Air CS, just took a great bike and design, and made it better. At the cost of a .4-.5lbs of weight, yes, but so worth it when the descent starts.

Things I've noticed that the DB seems to excel at on the Bronson:

1- Small bump tracking at slow speed is much more sensitive. Almost giving a feeling of the tire is low on air. This a good thing and happens with the CS lever on or off

2- The CS feature works well. I like being able to remove the compromise that had to be made with the first generation DB Air between good descending and efficient pedaling. Now I can set the shock up for optimal traction and DH handling and utilize the CS when I want to stand and hammer a hill or just pace up a gravel grind. Keep in mind, the Bronson is an efficient pedaling bike even with the CS switch off.

3- Square edge impacts, like large roots, rocks, etc...that are hit at speed don't seem to cause the bike to lose composure or give a bucking sensation.

4- High Speed cornering traction is the one of jewels of this shock. Leaning into off camber, rutted, rooty sections of single track (when set right) the DB excels!

5- Jumps medium sized drops (4-6 ft with decent transitions) and the bike lands like a cat with the DB. You almost expect to prepare for some feedback from the bike due to hitting the jump/drop a little weird, but the bike just feels composed ...frt (RS Pike) and rear

Those are my initial (2 weeks of riding) thoughts. Again, settings that are off, can make or break the ride with the DB on any bike, but I've owned DBs for about 7 years and ridden them everything from DH bikes to Turner 6 Packs, Intense AM bikes, yeti SB, Mojo HD, Spec Enduro, and now the Bronson. Setup on this shock is crucial which is why CC has created the Base Tune lounge. They haven't posted a Bronson starting point yet, but I spoke with them and got a general starting point and have fine tunes from there. If you are the kind of person after the best performance you can get, the quit waiting and pick up the Cane Creek DB Air CS. I cannot recommend a better place to get it from than www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com

Ask for Kevin. They are an authorized Cane Creek service center as well. So, if there was an issue they would handle it with extreme professionalism. Not to mention, they are about 15-20 minutes away from Cane Creek so that sure helps with any warranty issue should you have one.

Hope that helps. If I run into any other notable things I'll post back.

mtbr member
    Fantastic... Thanks for posting up the report!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm running a CCDBA on my Nomadc and couldn't be happier. Night and day difference from the RP23. I don't like propedal switches because I always end up hitting a section mad realizing I forgot to turn it off. These bikes pedal just fine with the VPP. I actually feel more mid stroke support on the CCDBA than I did with the RP23 and the propedal engaged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm planning to do this same upgrade to my Bronson, will get the frame in a week, now ordering that ccdba cs, since I don't have the frame yet, I need to ask you guys, what it the correct size mounting hardware from canecreek, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm or 9,5mm

Thanks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh, that was easy
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Did your shock come with the proper mounting hardware?

Just got mine for my bronson and its just the bare shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Tam Haze View Post
    Did your shock come with the proper mounting hardware?

Just got mine for my bronson and its just the bare shock.
    When you order one, the supplier should order it with the proper mountain hardware for you. For instance, when I ordered mine via bikerbob - he asked which bike it was to be mounted to. The shock arrived w/ the proper hardware with it. Maybe whoever you ordered it from could also ship you the missing hardware?

Otherwise I'm sure you can contact a distributor and order it. Not much special to it other than the spacing.

mtbr member
    The hardware needed is the 22.1x8mm kit

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Do you use a Solo Air Pike or Dual Position Air one?
    I am building one with very similar setting with yours, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    REVIEW: I just put a CCDB CS on my Aluminum Bronson, and fully agree that even with the base tune and 30% sag, the bike has transformed significantly (in a good way). I only have about 6 hours on the bike, but I can confidently recommend this shock to anyone that is not satisfied with the performance of the rear. Previously I could not find a balance between plushness and performance in high speed rock gardens while still absorbing bigger hits. Realistically the Fox CTD never felt plush, and always had a pogo-stick feel. I feel that by being able to independently tune the high speed and low speed compression, you can help fill in some of the gaps of the mid-stroke progression indicative of the VPP. I'm 185 in street clothes and probably 205 in gear. I'm running 125 psi in the X-Vol can with one large spacer using the tune below.

HSC- 1.75 HSR- 1.75 LSC-7 LSR- 10

For anyone concerned about the climbing ability, forget it. The climb switch works great and provides improved traction on technical climbs while still working great on smooth tarmac.

No regrets whatsoever...
    Last edited by INCONEL; 02-03-2014 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been riding my Bronson with the CCDB w/CS and XV can on it. It came with no volume reducing spacers in it, but I decided to set it up as is, ride it, and see how it felt.

Now, obviously, everything depends on what you ride and how you ride. Living in SoCal, there’s a lot of steep climbing and everything from smooth/flowy to downright rocky/chunky downhill. I have an affection with the bumpy downhills, and I consider myself pretty good tuning suspension. Set at 33% sag (again, with no air spacers), the bike sat in the middle of its stroke and pedaled very well. But, it went through the first part of travel fairly easily, and I really struggled to utilize full travel. Even backing out the HSC significantly more than the suggested 1.75 turns, it felt harsh. In 5psi increments, I lowered the air pressure to 105 psi, therefore increasing the sag to around 40%...maybe a touch more. The beginning travel feels the same, mid stroke feels better, and I can get full travel without harsh bottom out. I am 175lb without gear, and the settings from fully closed were at HSC=1.75, HSR=1.75, LSC=12, LSR=10. Oh, by the way, with these settings, the bike still climbs ridiculously well.

I then decided to install the large air spacer in the XV can. At 125psi the shock felt better through the beginning stroke to mid stroke, but again, I struggle to get full travel. This makes sense, as the air spacer will make the shock more progressive. I kept messing with air pressure, and am now back down to 105psi again, with HSC at 2.25 turns. It feels better compared to 125psi, and beginning to mid stroke feels a bit more supple, the bike still climbs well (I keep getting PRs on my climbs…yea me!), but I’m still not getting full travel.

I’ll go for another ride in the next day or two, but I think before I do I’ll take out the large volume spacer and replace it with the smaller one. I’m trying to get the perfect balance between a better feeling beginning to mid stroke with the large spacer, and the plush feel at the end stroke with no spacers.

So why am I posting this? Just to chime in with my $0.02 and to ask, has anybody else had any similar feelings? BTW, I demo’d the bike with the Fox…that thing was $h!tty. This shock feels VERY good…I’m just picky and trying to get it to feel 100% instead of 90%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ^^^ Great Post^^^

Are you not using full travel during during square edge bumps at speed (HSC), or during drops (LSC)? What do you weigh? I'm getting 95% of full travel at 125psi with the settings posted above, and I'm 205 in gear. The unofficial base tune form CC recommends ~30% sag.

I also live in SoCal and have an affinity for technical downhills. Where are you riding this weekend?

Cane Creek DBAIR Suspension Tuning Tips
    Last edited by INCONEL; 02-03-2014 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by INCONEL View Post
    ^^^ Great Post^^^

Are you not using full travel during during square edge bumps at speed (HSC), or during drops (LSC)? What do you weigh? I'm getting 95% of full travel at 135psi with the settings posted above, and I'm 205 in gear. The unofficial base tune form CC recommends ~30% sag.

I also live in SoCal and have an affinity for technical downhills. Where are you riding this weekend?

Cane Creek DBAIR Suspension Tuning Tips
    Good question; you're right, that does make a difference. I'm talking about it being hard to get full travel at speed on square edge hits while riding downhill. If I'm not getting full travel while doing drops, I would not mind it as much. I'm about 175 without gear. I could/should back out the HSC more, but to me, it seems that if I need to back it out significantly more than suggested, there might be something else going on. But that being said, I've found that for the 6" Marz Z1 I had, as well as my new Pike 160mm DPA, I need to run less air than recommended in order to get the feel that is right for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The baseline HSC tune for the Bronson is 1.75, and it feels good to me, but I'll see this weekend as I'll be doing some higher speed rocky DH runs along with some freeride tech. When sessioning a section and tuning my shock, I backed off the HSR to 1.5 and it helped prevent some of the skipping that was noticed.
    Last edited by INCONEL; 02-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had to edit a few posts above, as I was running lower pressure than I thought (125 vs. 135).

This weekend I rode some pretty gnarly rocky descents and did not achieve the travel desired (75%). I've decided to reduce pressure to 115psi and dial back HSC by 1/2 a turn to 1.25, and LSC by two clicks to 5. I will report back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I did quite a few runs this past weekend, and settled on a base:

110psi (gets this 175lb rider 33% sag, maybe a touch more)
    1 Large Air Volume Spacer
    HSC = 1.50-1.75
    HSR = 1.25
    LSC = 14
    LSR = 10

With these settings, I've got a bike that handles VERY well. VPP's shock rate falls then rises, and air shocks ramp up towards the end of their stroke. I've got low input from the HSC knob so that this "rampy" quality is subdued, and I get close to full travel (if not complete travel in some instances) while maintaining that "bottomless" feel. Also, due to the way the shock ramps up through its travel, and the initial falling shock rate of the bike, it needed more LSC than recommended. It feels very close to a coil shock, but since it "likes to sit" in its mid-stroke, it pedals way better!

mtbr member
    Can't wait to try out this tune. Nice work!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My Summary thus far:

Bike: AL Bronson with 150mm Fox CTD fork (ugh..)
    Rider: 185lbs (205lbs in gear)
    Riding Type: All-Mountain/Freeride
    CCDB CS Configuration: X-Vol Can with 1 Large Volume Spacer
    Pressure: 115psi 20mm sag (~35%)

HSC = 1.25
    HSR = 1.75
    LSC = 7
    LSR = 10

This is the setup that I rode this weekend doing lower-speed freeride type riding with a good mix of steep technical descents, drops (4'-7'), and jumps. I felt very controlled and the landings felt plush. I only used full travel once after a fairly large ladder drop, however I did not notice it until after looking at the o-ring location.

I will be riding a higher speed DH trail this coming weekend and see if it keeps up through some high speed technical rock gardens. The increase in control and traction is very noticeable and provides confidence to hit larger features. The bike is also much livelier and easier to pop off of jumps.
    Last edited by INCONEL; 02-17-2014 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Re: Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!

My Summary thus far:

Pressure: 115psi 18mm sag (32%)

HSC = 1.25
    HSR = 1.75
    LSC = 7
    LSR = 10

This is the setup that I rode this weekend doing lower-speed freeride type riding with a good mix of steep technical descents, drops (4'-7'), and jumps. I felt very controlled and the landings felt plush. I only used full travel once after a fairly large ladder drop, however I did not notice it until after looking at the o-ring location.

I will be riding a higher speed DH trail this coming weekend and see if it keeps up through some high speed technical rock gardens. The increase in control and traction is very noticeable and provides confidence to hit larger features. The bike is also much livelier and easier to pop off of jumps.
    Awesome write up. For freeriding, I would add another .50-.75 turns of HSR to mine, which would get me in the vecinity of yours.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!

Sub'd

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My Summary thus far:

Pressure: 115psi 20mm sag (~35%)

HSC = 1.25
    HSR = 1.75
    LSC = 7
    LSR = 10

Rode a DH trail this weekend with a good mix of high-speed rock gardens, jumps, and drops (7').

With about 35%-38% sag at 115psi, I noticed that I was using about 65% of travel through the rock gardens while absolutely pinning it. I had a couple of buddies ride their rigs through the same section, and they are seeing similar travel on their 160mm bikes. Not sure if there is much that I can do here without sacrificing bottom-out on larger drops. I also bottomed out the suspension after hitting a 7' trail drop and landing relatively smoothly.

After increasing the pressure to 120 psi, we did the full trail again and I ended up using ~90-95% of travel which I assume is attributed to the in-trail drops. This is probably where I want to be considering the kind of riding that I do. I'll keep fine tuning it as I go. Going forward I'm going to shoot for ~33% sag and likely add a little more HSC to minimize bottoming out.

project_d: Can you comment on why you're running so much LSC? Do you pedal a lot on your trails? I would say that Stairsteps, 5-oaks, and Lynx in Aliso as well as T&A in Laguna are the types of (legal) trails that I ride most.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After a couple more weeks of testing and tuning, I've increased the HSC back to recommended level to have a little more "bottom-out" prevention while still keeping the ride plush enough to eat up the braking bumps and rock gardens. Very happy with this setup.

Bike: AL Bronson with 160mm RS Pike
    Pressure: 120psi - 18mm sag (~32%)

HSC = 1.75
    HSR = 1.75
    LSC = 7
    LSR = 10

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yup, I ride those same trails. I do a fair bit of shuttling, but I also a fair bit of climbing. Since the wheel rate is regressive then progressive, I noticed the extra LSC helps when I climb San Juan Lollipop, yet the bike still super plush for shuttling trails like Mt Lowe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Some CCDBA tuning recommendations from Noel Buckley of Knolly fame. Worth a read.

Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got a DB CS with the XV can, set it to the recommended base settings with ~17mm sag, and took it for a ride. I expected to blown away, but I came away feeling disappointed. Seemed to be blowing through travel and bottoming fairly harshly. Tried turning up the HSC a bit, but still didn't feel bottomless. My fork would have another .5-1in of travel and the rear was maxed.

These are on the same drops and trails I rode with the stock CTD shock. I actually never bottomed it harshly and liked the general feel of that shock. It just lacked at higher speeds, chatter, square edges, and fade.

I've got 1 large spacer in place. I was thinking of adding another spacer or two. Has anyone else run into any problems? I'm assuming the base settings are set from the full open, as little damping as possible position, correct?

I'm 165 riding and have it pumped to ~115psi

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    i haven't been blown away with the performance of the CCDB CS with XV can either. there's no question, on the downhills, it feels bottomless, smooth and controlled. If I closed my eyes, it would be near impossible to tell if i am riding my V10c or the Bronson.

However, my bronson isn't a downhill bike. with the stock fox float ctd, it was far more lively. gave a nice pop off jump faces. there's a pump track section at my local trails, and i could actually accelerate with the bronson/fox. pedalling inputs were more instantaneous. and this was with the shock in "descend" most of the time.

with the CCDB Air, the bike feels muted. I don't have that terrain feel (positive feedback) with the CCDB Air.

I typically run alot of low speed compression for pedalling efficiency, keeping the suspension higher in the travel, less brake dive.

My current settings are:

195lbs (fully geared) at 135psi

LSC 18clicks from Zero (fully open, minimum compression)
    HSC 1.5turns from zero (fully open)

LSR 7 clicks from zero
    HSR 2 turns from zero

i'm still noticing a fair amount of shock activation from pedalling. There's 25 clicks of adjustment on the LSC and i'm actually considering adding a 2 or 3 more clicks. Is that crazy?

Are my expectations just unreasonable given that this is a 150mm travel bike? i felt like the bronson was more efficient and held speed well with the fox. just when the trail pointed downwards it was really lagging behind the bump eating performance of my front fork (Bos Deville)

With the CCDB Air, It almost the reverse. It's descending really well, feels planted. but when I am needing liveliness coming off jumps, pumping transitions, pedalling response, its sorely lacking.

I'd appreciate y'alls input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    when I am needing liveliness coming off jumps, pumping transitions, pedalling response, its sorely lacking.

Maybe try HSR at 1.5 for a bit more pop/liveliness.

Did you try this base setting? The Lounge | Rider Forums | Santa Cruz Bronson Tune If you compare the base setting with your settings above how does that feel to you?
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

Village Dirtbag
    Chillindrdude: How is that lack of livliness affected by the CS switch? I'm thinking of getting this shock for my Tallboy LT, but I don't want to feel like I'm on a DH bike when I'm on a roller-coaster sprint-and-carve trail.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Re: Santa Cruz Bronson and Cane Creek DB Air CS - Perfect Pair!

Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

If you dont have the large air volume spacer installed...do this right away and your problem may be solved. I found that gave me more mid stroke support. If you already have it in, try another 0.5 turn of HSC.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    Chillindrdude: How is that lack of livliness affected by the CS switch? I'm thinking of getting this shock for my Tallboy LT, but I don't want to feel like I'm on a DH bike when I'm on a roller-coaster sprint-and-carve trail.
    the CS is noticeable, and in a good way. it's not a platform so i wouldn't characterize it making the bike more lively. but i think they tuned the CS damping circuit to essentially cancel out natural climbing pedaling cadence/bob.

the high speed circuits are unchanged according to CC. so essentially the shock should remained active.

the way my shock was responding, I wanted to leave it with CS on. but thats just a crutch. the shock isn't dialed yet and still not optimal.

*update*
    I installed the volume spacer today. reset the base tune (with just alittle more LSC) to the following:

Start with 15mm of sag (i'm at 135psi)

For the DBAir-CS: X-Vol Can with 1 Large volume spacer-

HSC- 1.75 HSR- 1.75-2.00 LSC-7 (I dialed 10) LSR- 10

I hope to get some trail testing this weekend and I will report back. Just bouncing on it in the yard, i can tell it's more progressive. we'll see. but i see myself backing off alittle more HSR and upping LSC some more.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Please do.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by project_d View Post
    Please do.
    As noted previously, I added the large volume spacer.

Ok so, did about 2hrs of testing on my local trails. soft conditions. but it's good mix of terrain from flowy rollers, to high speed downhill roots and rockgardens.

Air spring at 140psi. yielding 15mm of sag with my usual trail riding gear + hydration.

HSC- 1.75
    HSR- 1.75
    LSC- 12
    LSR- 10

Bike felt far more responsive. Even with LSC at 12. still some hint of pedaling sluggishness. but, maybe i'm being nitpicky. starting to get alittle harsh off the top, so i think this is as far I am gonna go. bike still doesn't have that pop off jump faces that I like (used to with the fox ctd) but may be a combination of soft conditions and early season cobwebs. I am considering decreasing HSR by 1/4 and dropping LSR 2 clicks. On the roughest downhill section of trail, i'm still have about 1cm of travel remaining as per the rubber travel indicator. I'm not feeling any noticeable spiking on the big hits, but I may also decrease HSC by 1/4 and trying that.

How does the above settings look to you suspension gurus?

I think the Bronson was tuned well with the Fox CTD with the emphasis on pedalling efficiency. Switching to the CCDB Air, that emphasis has changed somewhat towards bump compliance and downhill performance.

My local trail is an XC oriented. as the DH sections are fun but short, and nothing really taxing. I am shaving time off the roughest sections no doubt, but overall, my lap times have gone up by 10-15 mins since the switch. But again, this may just be early season flabbiness from couch surfing (and occasional snowboarding) all winter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast