mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Santa Cruz Bronson 2016 - Anyone Going Up Hills Front Wheel Lifting

Maybe its me, just want to ask here. I have the Bronson 2016 S Kit in a Large and seems that always going up hills the front always lifts up very easy. My wife has a 2016 Bronson R Kit in a Medium and when I go up hills on it, it doesn't seem to lift up like my Bronson? Could it be my handle bars? They are still stock width?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sag of the rear shock makes a big diff., also the bar height relative to your seat height. There are other factors but those stand out on my bikes. I tend to use the middle position on the climb switch to limit shock compression on steep ups.

mtbr member
    there isn't enough weight on the front wheel - you need to shift weight to the front either through physically shifting your body position (ie sitting on the nose of the saddle) or looking at a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    there isn't enough weight on the front wheel - you need to shift weight to the front either through physically shifting your body position (ie sitting on the nose of the saddle) or looking at a longer stem.
    Yes. Likely body positioning. Hinge forward at the hips more, nose s/b more over stem, engage your lats and shoulders down and back (e.g. drop them down towards your "hip pockets"). Moving forward on the seat will definitely help but proper body positioning as per above has to be combined with it .

Check out www.bikejames.com or Mountain Bike Camps, Instructor Training & Tours in Whistler, BC | ZEPtechniques for good information on proper body positioning. Their blogs and videos are very good.
    Last edited by SCJG; 1 Week Ago at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    How far back on the rails is your seat? How about on your wife's bike? I had the Bronson and thought it climbed really well seated. Didn't really notice more lift than other bikes I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Sag of the rear shock makes a big diff., also the bar height relative to your seat height. There are other factors but those stand out on my bikes. I tend to use the middle position on the climb switch to limit shock compression on steep ups.
    Thanks, this makes sense. I do have the sag setup but might have to recheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    How far back on the rails is your seat? How about on your wife's bike? I had the Bronson and thought it climbed really well seated. Didn't really notice more lift than other bikes I have ridden.
    I will check this when I get home. What's a good starting point? I agree, this Bronson V2 is a great bike and climbs great! Love riding it at Mammoth Lakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ELcamino, Yes I was assuming you were shifting weight forward, bending at the waist etc. On my Bronson I ran 30 to 35 % sag and climbing steeps as you power the pedals the shock will settle deeper and shift weight to the rear. On another bike my stem was above the seat and prevented enough weight shift forward. All of the suggestions help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    Yes. Likely body positioning. Hinge forward at the hips more, nose s/b more over stem, engage your lats and shoulders down and back (e.g. drop them down towards your "hip pockets"). Moving forward on the seat will definitely help but proper body positioning as per above has to be combined with it .

Check out www.bikejames.com or Mountain Bike Camps, Instructor Training & Tours in Whistler, BC | ZEPtechniques for good information on proper body positioning. Their blogs and videos are very good.

Thanks for the info SCJG. I just took a look at my seat rail. It is sort of in the middle. You guys think this also should be moved forward more?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The seat rail is about half way...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ElCamino78 View Post
    Thanks for the info SCJG. I just took a look at my seat rail. It is sort of in the middle. You guys think this also should be moved forward more?
    You can try that and see what happens, easy to go back and forth a bit. The other suggestions are good too.

You said that climbing on your wife's medium was fine, but on your large the front was lifting? To me that's a classic case of not enough weight forward, so I still suggest focusing on body position adjustments as your likely problem.

Get someone to film you climbing when you are having trouble with the front end and then compare what you see to what you see on Bikejames' or Paul Howard's / Zep videos. Paul's "myth-busters" blogs are especially good on the Zep site. That may help you pinpoint better what's happening.

BTW, did you ever mention how tall you are ? And the rest of your dimensions ?

Good luck!

mtbr member
    The seat rail is about half way...
    I would move it forward and see how it feels. Just as an FYI different seats will have different rails, so forward on one seat may be middle on another.

mtbr member
    The first thing I would try is removing some spacers from under the stem to lower the bar height.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    The first thing I would try is removing some spacers from under the stem to lower the bar height.
    +1. On my '17 Jet 9 RDO Plus I had the same problem. I lowered the stem one spacer and it solved the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    ELcamino, Yes I was assuming you were shifting weight forward, bending at the waist etc. On my Bronson I ran 30 to 35 % sag and climbing steeps as you power the pedals the shock will settle deeper and shift weight to the rear. On another bike my stem was above the seat and prevented enough weight shift forward. All of the suggestions help.
    I mostly try to get my weight as forward as possible when climbing. Going to try all these great suggestion from all. This is a great site and appreciate all the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    You can try that and see what happens, easy to go back and forth a bit. The other suggestions are good too.

You said that climbing on your wife's medium was fine, but on your large the front was lifting? To me that's a classic case of not enough weight forward, so I still suggest focusing on body position adjustments as your likely problem.

Get someone to film you climbing when you are having trouble with the front end and then compare what you see to what you see on Bikejames' or Paul Howard's / Zep videos. Paul's "myth-busters" blogs are especially good on the Zep site. That may help you pinpoint better what's happening.

BTW, did you ever mention how tall you are ? And the rest of your dimensions ?

Good luck!
    Yes I do lean forward, though some of these suggestion might solve my problem. I can already see that I will move the seat forward a bit. My wife's is forward more. Also the sag might need to be revisited on bike and from another comment was to lock out the rear as I climb. Thanks for responding .

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I am sort of new to MTB I will check and see how many spacers there is. Maybe compare to my wife's bike, though hers is a medium and that might be a difference from my large?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    +1. On my '17 Jet 9 RDO Plus I had the same problem. I lowered the stem one spacer and it solved the problem.
    I will definitely give that a try. Will have to see how many spacers it has from stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Maybe its me, just want to ask here. I have the Bronson 2016 S Kit in a Large and seems that always going up hills the front always lifts up very easy. My wife has a 2016 Bronson R Kit in a Medium and when I go up hills on it, it doesn't seem to lift up like my Bronson? Could it be my handle bars? They are still stock width?
    What is your Height? You might be able to ride a medium or the large. How does your wife's bike feel fit wise? I"m 5'10" so I could be on medium or large. I prefer the large over the medium.

Long Live the Gorn!
    At the risk of sound like "that guy" in my experience front wheel lifting is nearly always related to / compounded by technique & body position given that nothing is completely out of whack with bike setup.

Here is a technique to try.

When climbing steeps scoot forward on saddle and rotate chest / lean chin toward bar , then pull your​ elbows in toward your body. Then when the going get tough don't pull up on your bars, pull through / in line with your forearms / elbows that are tucked in. This will pull "down" / along the bike axis not up results keep front wheel down and added traction on the rear.

EDIT: Another tip to try / adjustment put your thumbs on top of the grips, this will facilitate bringing the elbows in and when you pull you wont pull up as much it will naturally be along the axis of your forearms.

Try it.

BTW I ride a V2 Bronson and do lots of climbing including the steeps often.

EDIT: Climbed 5K ft today on the BV2
    Last edited by bvader; 1 Day Ago at 04:37 PM.