mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Santa Cruz Blur VPP2 Pedal feedback+

Anyone have thoughts on minimizing or eliminating pedal feedback on the newer Santa Cruz Blur VPP2 suspension? I recently built up a Blur TRc and coming from the Blur XCc, I can detect a hint of pedal feedback, perhaps due to the longer travel (130 vs 110)? I run a 2x10 drivetrain and wonder what front chainring combination would help to minimize the pedal feedback the most, i.e. 26/39t or 28/40t? I think I read somewhere that since VPP2 was designed around a triple 22/32/42 crank that perhaps the suspension anti- squat curve is designed to minimize the affects of pedal kick back in the granny? Alternatively, it would be logical that SC would have looked to optimize for the middle ring, i.e. 32T, in which case a 28/40 would be closer to optimum. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have owned several SC VPP bikes and it feels like the taller the small chainring the less feedback. I feel the newer VPP's have minimal anyway but I would go with the largest small chainring you can pedal. I think your correct .

mini clyde
    IME too little sag can make pedal feedback worse on VPP bikes. If you're running the same chainrings as on the XCc and getting more feedback, I'd check sag first. I can't really detect feedback on my VPP2 Nomad with a 28t ring, haven't tried anything smaller on that bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think you are both correct. I did initially have too much air in the rear shock( ie only 8-10 mm of sag. I have reduced the air volume (sag more like 12-15mm) and noticeably less pedal feedback. I also moved the seat rails back about 1/4 " which I think helps with the weight bias (you can simulate this by sliding way forward on the saddle= more upright/steeper SA and more feedback). Kinda like the mystery ghost pedal drag you experience with a Talas fork when you drop it. Ya, I think a taller little ring (ie 26 vs. 28 can only help too) right?