mtbr member

Santa Cruz Blur TR vs LT

Hi All- I'm a relative newbie and I'm currently riding a 29er hardtail. I like going over the rocks and roots, so I've been curious about FS. Today I demo'd a small Blur LTc at a Santa Cruz demo day at Skeggs Point (Northern CA). It was really only my second time on a full suspension, and I really liked the bike.

I should say that I'm 5"1, so it's hard to find a bike to demo at a shop, and I'm lucky if there's something in my size at a demo day.

When I got home, I went onto the Santa Cruz site to take a look at the Blur LT and I saw there's also a TR. The geometry seems pretty close on the two models. Is it just the fork that makes the difference here?

I ride in the Bay Area (China Camp, Joachim Miller, Tamarancho, Skeggs, Annadel, etc. - if your'e familiar with the area), singletrack/trail and some fireroad (though we prefer singletrack/trail). I'm learning how to go over the more technical features, and I really like them - but still in the learning phase (waiting for my first big wipeout). My biggest weakness is climbing, which is definitely easier on my 29er hardtail.

Back to my questions:
    What's the real difference between the TR and LT?
    Is one more geared towards climbing (where I could use the most help)?
    What's the right travel for the kind of riding I do?
    I'm not very big/heavy - is that a factor to consider with the front and rear travel?

Thoughts, suggestions, advice welcome.

(I'm also curious if anyone has thoughts on the Blur compared with the Pivot Mach 5.7 - but I can post that in a general forum to get a wider audience.)

Thanks in advance....

-laine

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Both are great trail bikes that climb and descend well. The LT has been around longer and is tried and true. The TRC has different geometry with a lower bottom bracket and slacker head angle which help with cornering and descending. Read the reviews on the TRC and everyone comments on how much fun the bike is to ride. I currently have an LT and am looking to get a TRC frame and swap my parts over. For the bay area you can't go wrong with either and would test ride both if you can.

mtbr member
    I'm on my second TRC (Had a Tallboy LTC in between) and love this bike!
    The LTC is a great bike but you'll be on the heavier side of 28lbs with a dropper post vs the TRC (depending on build) mines 26 with a dropper and non carbon wheels.

The LTC will have a little more BB clearance but I don't have pedal strike issues.

my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scfreak View Post
    I'm on my second TRC (Had a Tallboy LTC in between) and love this bike!
    The LTC is a great bike but you'll be on the heavier side of 28lbs with a dropper post vs the TRC (depending on build) mines 26 with a dropper and non carbon wheels.

The LTC will have a little more BB clearance but I don't have pedal strike issues.

my 2 cents
    so you didnt like the tallboy as much as the blur?

Ow!
    I have both. My main ride is the LTc (w/ 160mm fork) because it is great on my local trails (next to my house) of short ups and downs with lots of rocks--little rocks, medium rocks, and, occasionally, big rocks. It is the best FS bike I have ever ridden.

I use the TRc only on more mellow trails. With that low BB and long WB, it just doesn't do well on my trails close to my house. Lots of fun on the smoother trails (with a little rock because that is what is around here). If I understood more how the TRC performed before I bought the frame, I likely would not have it. But I do, and it has grown on me. Very light and fast, and easy to throw around. But just OK in tight turns, though.

If your trails are not so rocky, but have drops/ledges/ect., then TRc would be fun. If your trails are very rocky like mine, you might consider the LTc instead. And, you know, you can build either one very light without extremely expensive parts.

What about the Bronson? Because, you know, it is THE bike now.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I wish the Bronson was an option - maybe if they made an XS. I "tried it on" at the Santa Cruz demo this last weekend. The Small standover height was just too high for me. Did I mention I'm 5"1'? I liked the LTc I rode, but the trails I ride generally have longer climbs before getting to the descent. And I'm not really ready for the big rocks.

As an aside, I am also trying to find a Pivot Mach 5.7 (XS) to demo. So that is another option on the table.

thanks,
    laine

default title
    Mar 2008
    You might have missed Pivot demo days around the bay area (I'm pretty sure they were here for the SCMBF & Sea Otta). Try the norcal forum as well for lots of opinions.
    Any of them can be built light-ish for climbing. We're talking technical and non-technical climbs, right? Resolution root.
    Chances of finding an LTc used or a closeout deal is better than the TRc (even in your size).
    Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LT Carbon w/ CTD Kashima | Downhill & Freeride Frames
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy