Redwood Dancer

Sad, sad Nomad powdercoat - how about you?

Since I've had several SC bikes, all with ano, I was hopeful that my first SC powdercoat bike (my new Nomad), would be the same high quality. I'm very sad to report that my silver powdercoat finish is total crap. After about a month of moderate riding, mostly reasonably dry trails with a very few splatters of mud, I've got scratches galore and even rub marks where my shorts brushed the top tube. I've got less that 250 miles on this bike and it already looks two years old and ridden by a bike sadist.

I'm no fussbudget about scratches and dings on a bike, I just like them to be honestly earned, not from a soft crappy PC job. Since I was breaking in my Nomad's new Avid Juicy brakes, I hand picked mostly dry trails and steered clear of mud puddles and creeks. I still got tons of scratches and rub marks during perfectly normal riding. Don't know if I can buff them out, but I sure hope so.

Anyway, I emailed SC bikes and complained and they blamed the weather and mud in Santa Cruz, where I live. Ummm, excuse me, Santa Cruz has very mild winters compared to just about anywhere else in the USA, besides Florida. Right now I'm preparing to cover virtually both sides of the frame with 3M Protective Film. Yeah, that'll look real cool.

Soooo.... if you can't afford the extra $150 for ano on most SC frames, go with another bike company - unless you're in love with that beat-up $4000 bike look.
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've a silver too. And I totally agree: the PC is really crap, ultra sensitive to rubbing.

Got A Lust for Life...
    No surprise here. How hard is it to clear coat? I don't get it.
    I am immune to your disdain.

TNC
    noMAD man

Trans colors?

Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    No surprise here. How hard is it to clear coat? I don't get it.
    My '99 Bullit has a trans-red mainframe, but it has a clearcoat over it. '99 was a long time ago, but I was wondering if the trans colors are clearcoated at this point. I also had an '01 Superlight for a year that was gun metal gray PC, and it held up well. I don't ride in mud or rain...unless I get caught out. On the other hand, I'm not too concerned about how the finish on my bikes look as long there is no corrosion or paint flaking. I don't even wash or clean my bikes to any degree, even though I notice in some of these digital pics I've posted, they look pretty good, and the little warts aren't very noticeable.

Too Much Fun

Bonking ... not feelin' well Yup, paint sux...

Quote Originally Posted by whangen
    Soooo.... if you can't afford the extra $150 for ano on most SC frames, go with another bike company - unless you're in love with that beat-up $4000 bike look.
    Sad but true. Thats why I don't buy painted frames of ANY kind. Or if I do I expect to repaint every few years. Sure some paint jobs are way better then others, but the truth is that if you are really riding the thing its gonna get thrashed looking. Sounds like yours was a little too quick to get thrashed though.

I rode Ti hardtails for years so paint wasn't an issue and it basically got me hooked on natural metal looks. When the time came to order a Nomad the only colors I'd consider were polished and possibly the ano colors if the polished fell through. Luckily for me the SUPER SHORT SC wait time came through again and I got my polished.

Basically I hate painted frames. Nice to look at clean and new, not so nice a year later.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good God am I ever glad I ordered an ano slate frame (although I guess it doesn't matter much if it never gets here).

For what it's worth, my pc Kona's in the past have been bulletproof. When we have a ride scheduled, we usually go regardless of the weather. My Kona's have seen so much rain and mud that I often drain about a cup of water out of the seat tube after the ride (I take off my seat and turn my bike upside down after every ride, just to make sure my BB isn't sitting in a pool of water). And the weird thing is that some people complain about Kona's pc. Good thing apparently that they don't have a pc SC or they'd be really screaming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    When you say "silver" do you mean polished (chrome) ?

Redwood Dancer
    Clear coat is a bad idea on PC.

Industrial quality powercoat is something I've used many times as an engineer in the food industry... mostly for hoppers, chutes and other high wear applications. If done correctly, it is super tough and far superior to enamel and various epoxy paints. This is because PC particulate is sprayed on, then heated in a curing room to make it adhere to the surface material.

Putting a clear coat on existing PC finishes would generally defeat the whole purpose of PC... however; SC Bicycles might want to consider doing this since their current PC finishes are so 'soft' and abrasion prone.
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

Goathead Gladiator
    Two BLUR LT bikes I almost bought I decided it against it because the serial number was half filled in by the paint. That, and that you couldn't see the finish on the welds for the thick paint, just turned me off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My wife's red Blur has the same problem. It's scratched all over the top tube just from her tights. It's scratched so bad the red looks pink. What I did was take some car wax and polished it up. It looks like new. Of course you have to wax it every couple of months. But it's probably better than messing with paint and clear coat.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude
    My wife's red Blur has the same problem. It's scratched all over the top tube just from her tights. It's scratched so bad the red looks pink. What I did was take some car wax and polished it up. It looks like new. Of course you have to wax it every couple of months. But it's probably better than messing with paint and clear coat.

i like the thrashed look like the original poster mentioned, 'honestly earned'...and if it cleans up relatively easily, i wouldn't even bother with 3M...after nicks galore do you think it would look bad??
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Got A Lust for Life...
    I threw a strip of black duct tape on the top tube of the unit I am currently riding. Once I get my Heckler back with a new front triangle a nice clear piece of tape will go in the same place in addition to about six other spots where the paint will be destroyed in one ride. Gotta love the ride though!
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Brake hose wore the powder coat of my Nomad frame in the driveway. I don't their powdercoated. I think they just use a marker and have 1st graders color their frames.