mtbr member
    Jan 2011

RS Monarch RT3 for Bronson - which damping tuning?

Replaced my front fork with the new Pike 150mm and looking to also replace the rear Fox shock with a RS Monarch RT3. I believe the factory Fox shock has a medium compression and a light rebound.

I weigh about 220 lbs geared up and ride a little bit of everything.

Which Monarch should I get it? I saw one that has medium compression and medium rebound - will this work?

I'm also open to other suggestions for a rear shock to match my Pike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have no idea what the answer is, but am interested to know as this may be something I look at when building my Bronson!
    Ridin' & Diggin'

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've been experimenting with a Monarch Plus, I believe it is low/low - but I'll double check.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i've been runnin a Medium rebound/ low compression- high volume can w/ spacers to taste. I'm running 4 spacers but i'm a bigger dude

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=biketrader;10506715]Replaced my front fork with the new Pike 150mm and looking to also replace the rear Fox shock with a RS Monarch RT3.

How does the Pike ride biketrader?

I am thinking of replacing my Revelation WC XX with the new Pike but is not yet available here in Hong Kong..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bronson uses a a 8.5x2.5 shock with 5.9" of travel so you're really looking at a low tune if you're lighter weight or a medium tune if you're heavier. Since you're 220lbs with gear I'd suggest a M/M tune which is the generic tune for Rockshoxs shocks. If you can swing the extra $200 then I'd also suggest you go for the Monarch rc3 plus. It's definitely a better shock when things start to get fast, rough or point down.

fan of maple syrup
    I would contact SC and ask them. This is what I did when putting a RS Monarch Plus on my Nomad2 - it originally came with an 'E' tune Monarch 3.3. By the time I was upgrading, RS no longer used the A - E tunes, favouring the L-M-H/L-M-H Rebound/Compression model instead. After a few days they replied to my email and advised me which combo they thought would work best.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure they advised L/M - I couldn't find any of these in the 8.5 x 2.5 Monarch Plus HV shocks - best I could find is M/M. Then I found a guide by Rockshox advising which tune to get based on leverage ratio (I just googled for it and could only find the A-E guide, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere), and it suggested M/M. Combined with a fellow rider on this forum telling me he ran M/M on the same shock & bike (and he was of similar rotund-ness), I went with the M/M and was happy.

So that's a long and protracted way of saying "See what SC say about running the shock on your Bronson, and keep bumping this thread to see if anyone replies with end-user experience".

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    Bronson uses a a 8.5x2.5 shock with 5.9" of travel
    I'm still waiting on my frame and was about to order a Monarch Plus, so I have no first hand knowledge here. But can someone confirm the shock is 8.5 x 2.5? From url below, they are saying 7.875x2.25

"They use a 7.875 x 2.25-inch stroke with a light rebound tune, medium velocity tune, 200 PSI in the Boost Valve, and a 0.6 cubic inch air volume reducer in the LV (Large Volume) air sleeve"

Santa Cruz Bicycles COMPANY

mtbr member
    Just had a look at the DB Air fit finder on the Cane Creek website and that suggests: 7.87 in x 2.25 in (200 mm x 57 mm)

Cane Creek Double Barrel and DBAIR Suspension Shock Fit Finder
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveNinja View Post
    I'm still waiting on my frame and was about to order a Monarch Plus, so I have no first hand knowledge here. But can someone confirm the shock is 8.5 x 2.5? From url below, they are saying 7.875x2.25

"They use a 7.875 x 2.25-inch stroke with a light rebound tune, medium velocity tune, 200 PSI in the Boost Valve, and a 0.6 cubic inch air volume reducer in the LV (Large Volume) air sleeve"

Santa Cruz Bicycles COMPANY
    You are correct about the shock size. It looks like they changed it compared to the nomad and blur lt. You'll still be looking at M/M tune for the Monarch or Monarch Plus. If you buy it from a generic online vendor they only give compression tune options. I believe if you order from a dealer you can get other options.

One of the nice things about the Monarch and Monarch Plus is that they are easy to service yourself as well as change the shim stack(tune).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just put a 2014 monarch plus rc3 on my Bronson. It is the high volume, medium/medium. With 130psi and 30% sag for my 140lbs it feels extremely firm throughout the travel in all modes (soft-med-firm). Dropping the pressure further doesn't fix the firmness/harshness. Put my fox ctd kashima back on to ensure its nothing w linkage friction, and the fox feels much better. Any tuning tips on the monarch?

mtbr member

I recently installed a cheap Monarch R, low compression medium rebound, while I'm waiting for my CTD custom tune to come back. I found it to work really well with just a basic setup and probably a little better than my stock CTD Evo shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Tech support at SC was not sure about the equivalent tunes when moving from Fox to RS. I believe, and as some friends have also said, the Bronson should have the low comp/med rebound, high volume. There are two "low" compressions available though, 60lbs and 80lbs. I am guessing/hoping 80lbs is the way to go. KrisRayner-any idea if yours is the 60 or 80lb compression? Does rebound feel fast enough to you with the medium?

mtbr member
    I'd call X-fusion. They'll set up a shock just for your bike, weight and riding style.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member

I bought my Monarch R from Transition Cycles online( for $100 I figured I couldn't go wrong. Even had the right reducers). Likely a take off. They might know better the specifics of the compression tune. I'm a big rider, 230#, and so run higher pressure(180-190psi right now). For me the medium rebound seems to be working well, thought I can't recall my exact setting. It might be possible for a lighter rider to have some issues getting fast enough rebound at lower pressures. And with the Bronson's pedaling performance I haven't missed the trail or climb settings.

mtbr member
    Oh, I forgot. Suspension Experts will be able to sell you a shock and tell you what RT3 tune you should have. That's where I got mine.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I've been experimenting with a Monarch Plus, I believe it is low/low - but I'll double check.
    Any news on this Noah?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
    Any news on this Noah?
    I PM'd Noah, he confirmed his was a low/low and said he was happy with it. I will try to source a '14 low/low tune to install myself then report back. If I can't find the low/low then I'll play with shims. After explaining shims and dampers to the not too shock savvy SC tech support person, I was finally able to have him ask one of the engineers who stated it should be low/low. He didn't ask about any other setup suggestions, like volume spacers in the high vol air can, ideal IFP pressure, or how low comp/med rebound would behave. I'll have to experiment with those and see.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride View Post
    I PM'd Noah, he confirmed his was a low/low and said he was happy with it. I will try to source a '14 low/low tune to install myself then report back. The med/med I have is unrideable. If I can't find the low/low then I'll play with shims. After too many calls with tech support at SC they also finally stated it should be low/low.
    Thanks for the reply. What do you mean it was up rideable? Others have Said low/low or med/med depending on your weight. What's your riding weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Unrideable as in not an improvement in any way over the Fox ctd K. Way too harsh over any bump. I'm 140 ready to ride, water in camelbak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Unrideable as in not an improvement in any way over the Fox ctd K. Way too harsh over any bump. I'm 140 ready to ride, water in camelbak.
    I have found the exact same thing with the RS Monarch+. Mine is M/M high volume can. I dont think you can get a stock L/L tune on that shock. I have put lots of rubber bands in the HV can, but not much changed. I am trying to find a rear shock to keep up with the RS Pike in front. Keep posting any info u find. Its of great help. Also their is a guy on the TB LTc thread thats done alot of work on the Monarch+ a far as shims.RS Monarch RT3 for Bronson - which damping tuning?-037.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Two updates:

1. This is from having Santa Cruz contact RS about this:

"Here is what I got from RS after talking with them about your specs..

Everyone here is running standard aftermarket M/M tune monarchs on their Bronsons at the recommendation of some of the Rear Shock Engineers. The issue here might be the lighter rider weight. I would look at the following: The High Volume can should be fine, it helps adjust how progressive the shock feels. Remove the sleeve and ensure all the volume reducing bands are removed. This will prevent the shock from being more progressive by increasing the available volume. This will affect ending stroke more than beginning stroke. The Force on the Medium compression tune might be too high for the rider weight to initiate, creating a harsh feel. Going to the lower Compression tune as Joey suggests would be a good option. 140lb is towards the low end of our testing range, so I would recommend going with the L before the L3 so as to get a little easier initiation. Too soft a tune, and the shock will blow through. The medium should be fine for the Rebound as the Rapid Recovery has broadened the adjustment range over earlier versions. Try this tune to start: 11.4118.023.056 Tune Assy, Monarch Plus Reb-Mid/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs), LF-320, B1"

He suggests low comp and med rebound but it seems rebound is always on the slow side if anything, so why not use a LOW rebound as well? Full open rebound on the Medium doesnt feel that quick since its more dampened than a Low. The Low/Low part is (11.4118.023.052 Tune Assy, Monarch Plus Reb-Low/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs), LF-320, B1)

2. I may have found places to get the part. I looked at the exploded service diagrams and this appears to be the right piece but I cross checked the part # and it's 2013, which didn't offer a low. Maybe they can order '14. It says MED Comp nothing about the rebound tune.

Bikeman RockShox Monarch Plus Med Comp Tune Piston Assembly

RockShox Monarch Plus Med Comp Tune Piston Assembly - Penn Cycle for Bikes. Trek Bicycles, Cervelo, Haro, Electra, Pivot and BH Bikes
    Last edited by liketoride; 02-12-2014 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqmach26 View Post
    I have found the exact same thing with the RS Monarch+.
    The best is the DBAir CS XV, next Float X
    A comparative made in Italy MTB forum, between Monarch plus and the Float X
    Google Tradutor

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    Two updates:

1. This is from having Santa Cruz contact RS about this:

"Here is what I got from RS after talking with them about your specs..

Everyone here is running standard aftermarket M/M tune monarchs on their Bronsons at the recommendation of some of the Rear Shock Engineers. The issue here might be the lighter rider weight. I would look at the following: The High Volume can should be fine, it helps adjust how progressive the shock feels. Remove the sleeve and ensure all the volume reducing bands are removed. This will prevent the shock from being more progressive by increasing the available volume. This will affect ending stroke more than beginning stroke. The Force on the Medium compression tune might be too high for the rider weight to initiate, creating a harsh feel. Going to the lower Compression tune as Joey suggests would be a good option. 140lb is towards the low end of our testing range, so I would recommend going with the L before the L3 so as to get a little easier initiation. Too soft a tune, and the shock will blow through. The medium should be fine for the Rebound as the Rapid Recovery has broadened the adjustment range over earlier versions. Try this tune to start: 11.4118.023.056 Tune Assy, Monarch Plus Reb-Mid/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs), LF-320, B1"

He suggests low comp and med rebound but it seems rebound is always on the slow side if anything, so why not use a LOW rebound as well? Full open rebound on the Medium doesnt feel that quick since its more dampened than a Low. The Low/Low part is (11.4118.023.052 Tune Assy, Monarch Plus Reb-Low/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs), LF-320, B1)

2. I may have found places to get the part. I looked at the exploded service diagrams and this appears to be the right piece but I cross checked the part # and it's 2013, which didn't offer a low. Maybe they can order '14. It says MED Comp nothing about the rebound tune.

Bikeman RockShox Monarch Plus Med Comp Tune Piston Assembly

RockShox Monarch Plus Med Comp Tune Piston Assembly - Penn Cycle for Bikes. Trek Bicycles, Cervelo, Haro, Electra, Pivot and BH Bikes
    This is great information liketoride! Good place to start for most, at the very least! Let us know how you make out with the tune once you get it setup.