etruscan biker

RS Monarch on an Heckler

I've found a great deal on a 2008 Heckler without shock. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a RS Monarch (which is relatively cheap and it seems a good perfomer). I need a 200x57, don't I? Experiences? Fitting issues?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Great bike!
    You'll need a 215 x 65 for a 08 Heckler!

etruscan biker
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigiB
    You'll need a 215 x 65 for a 08 Heckler!
    Thank you! Luckily I asked, I was almost sure I should use the "old" Heckler size. Searching the SC website I found the required mounting hardware is the same (22mm/8mm) provided with the Monarch, so this shouldn't be an issue. What about clearance for the air valve and floodgate switch?

mtbr member
    Looking at a pic of the Monarch I don't see any problem with the air valve getting in the way! In fact if I recall correctly, the air valve might be on a pivot, I'm not 100% sure on this so don't quote me, but if it is, thats pretty cool

TNC
    noMAD man

"Old Heckler"

Quote Originally Posted by lorenz0
    Thank you! Luckily I asked, I was almost sure I should use the "old" Heckler size. Searching the SC website I found the required mounting hardware is the same (22mm/8mm) provided with the Monarch, so this shouldn't be an issue. What about clearance for the air valve and floodgate switch?
    What's your definition of the "old Heckler"? The previous model Heckler used a 7.875 length shock while the new generation uses 8.5 length. Additionally, the newer Heckler is basically a 6" bike which benefits waaaay more with a more tuneable piggyback shock than an inline shock like the Monarch. Clearance on the Heckler, old or new, is pretty good. You can fit most all of the more popular shocks, inline or piggyback.

etruscan biker
    For "old" Heckler I mean the 2003-2007 model, the one that used a 200x51 (130mm of travel) or 200x57 (146mm of travel) shock. As I said before I thought the "new" Heckler needed a shock of the same size but fortunately CraigiB pointed out that it needs a 216x63 shock.
    I'm sure that you're right when you say that the Heckler would benefit of a piggyback shock but I don't want to go crazy with many adjustments and, mostly, I'll pay the Monarch half the money I'd spend for a DHX (air,coil) shock. Since I read somewhere that SC is shipping Hecklers with high volume Float shocks I thought that an HV Monarch would be a cheap but effective solution. Apart from a couple of broken valves I heard goos things about this shock...
    I asked about fitting the shock because I read on this forum of issues fitting a DHX Air in the "old" model...

mtbr member
    Have they fixed the (complete lack of) rebound damping on the Monarch yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by al_bullit
    Have they fixed the (complete lack of) rebound damping on the Monarch yet?
    I just picked up a new HV Monarch as a spare for my trail Bullit.
    I found mine to have too much..
    While I like the performance of this shock, Even in the fastest setting the rebound feels slower than I prefer for some types of riding.
    Last edited by mcrumble69; 09-03-2008 at 12:27 PM.

etruscan biker
    How much do you weigh? There was a similar problem (slow rebound) with old Fox Float shocks but things were better for riders over 150lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenz0
    How much do you weigh? There was a similar problem (slow rebound) with old Fox Float shocks but things were better for riders over 150lbs.
    About 180 lbs with gear.

mtbr member
    Weird, Im told riders over 10stone cant get enough rebound damping on (ie, with lots of air in the shock). I will investigate.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Weird, Im told riders over 10stone cant get enough rebound damping on (ie, with lots of air in the shock). I will investigate.
    I have a full range in mine.

etruscan biker
    It can be true, I'm not a suspension tech at all! I just remember I read somewhere (here, or in another board) of "light" people complaining about Fox RP3 rebound (at that time I was searching for informations about that shock, mounted on my bike) while "heavy" ones were happy with them. That said I'm quite happy with the rebound of my RP3 and I'm 160lbs.

mtbr member
    The monarch is a clone of the rp23 (so much so it shares some issues - how RS got away with it I know not).