mtbr member

RS Monarch custom Nomad tune?

The rebound on my GF's rear shock has stopped working and she's slated for knee surgery end of May. I figured that was a good time to get her Nomad sorted.

I got a Avalanche to upgrade the internals of my Nomad's Fox DHX Air 5.0 and it's so much better now I wish I had done that 4yrs ago.

My GF weighs 130lbs with gear. Is there any custom tune options for a RS Monarch that would suit a Nomad's VPP and would be right for a light rider?

I looked at the Avalanche and PUSH websites, but they don't seem to offer anything for the Monarch.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If nobody knows of any custom tune options for that shock I'll just get her shock rebuilt back to stock.

I figured it was worth checking out first.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The rebound on my GF's rear shock has stopped working
    What do you mean? Does it rebound like a pogo stick or at a geological time scale? If it's behaving like a pogo stick, there might be something caught between the rebound base shim and the piston...wedging it open so your shims are useless. If dead slow, something might have gotten into the needle port, plugging that up so it's ALL on the shims.

Do it yourself, they're DEAD simple! What the tune you have on it now M/M, M/L, or L/L (LSR/LSC)?
    Is that a RS Monarch RT...can't make out if there's a resi on the thing. If it is, there's a pretty good sized thread on the Shock forum about custom shimming the RT. If it's a Plus, dig up my thread on custom shimming that shock. I think I've up'd several tunes for the Plus. Even if it's a RT I think the trial/error I did on the Plus will help you out...since I don't think they're tuned so very different...I've seen both OE tunes. Find the one that I said is TOO light on the rebound and use that one.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    What do you mean? Does it rebound like a pogo stick or at a geological time scale?

I'm not real familiar with these shocks. Here is a close up.

The rebound is on the slow side and the rebound dial does nothing to change it.

She's 120lbs without gear. Say 133lbs ready to ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I'm not real familiar with these shocks. Here is a close up.

The rebound is on the slow side and the rebound dial does nothing to change it.

She's 120lbs without gear. Say 133lbs ready to ride.
    That's a RT (or maybe just a 'R'). Look for that thread, also mine for the Plus. Apply what I came up w/ as "XL" rebound tune on that RT...the RT thread should show you how to break down the shock. If not, the Plus is VERY similar. I think bleeding the RT might be even simpler by using the nylon ball port
    Her recovery time is what, like 6 wk (btw, good luck to her!), so you'll have plenty of time to figure this out. You'll need some oil, an ifp adapter, a bag of nylon balls, and some Loctite...WELL under $50!

Edit: if you can service your own fork, you can do this.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Thanks. I don't service my own forks, but I'll check out the threads you mention and see what it looks like. There is always the first time.

She'll be off MTBs for 3 months - might be back on a commuter bike in 6 weeks. She also might have the other knee done end of summer.

Either way I want her bike ready when she can ride it.

Thanks again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com