Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RP3 for Heckler

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

RP3 for Heckler

Has anyone thought about putting the 7.875 X 2.25 RP3 on the Heckler?

I know they have that size for the Blur LT and Tim from SC says it would fight fine (or was it Josh?)

Spam to follow, I've placed a classified on the site looking to swap my DHX Coil 5.0 (same size) for the RP3, or sell it. Mine has less than 400 miles.

Thanks
    Last edited by velez3000; 03-12-2006 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Santa Cruz says...

It's not a recommended shock for the Heckler, it does work but it's not the right tool for the job.
    A DHX Air with all the bells & whistles would be a better option for you and not too much heavier than the RP3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

ok, another question then..

Ok, so why isn't the RP3 the right tool for the job? Would my medium 05 Heckler frame accept the DHX air? I read something about dimples on the 06 to accomodate the DHX air.

Thanks a million

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000
    Ok, so why isn't the RP3 the right tool for the job? Would my medium 05 Heckler frame accept the DHX air? I read something about dimples on the 06 to accomodate the DHX air.

Thanks a million
    I see no dimples on my 06 frame..

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    It's not a recommended shock for the Heckler, it does work but it's not the right tool for the job.
    A DHX Air with all the bells & whistles would be a better option for you and not too much heavier than the RP3.
    I disagree.

I've had an RP3 on my Heckler for awhile now and am quite satisfied with the performance('03 frame w/ 7.875"x2.0"). I also have a Progressive 5th Element coil that came stock. I purchased the RP3 to lighten things up and to improve overall XC and trail performance. It all depends on what ride characteristics you're trying to achieve. A coil is obviously better suited to rougher terrain, drops, etc., but the RP3 is a great all arounder performer IMHO. I am leary of trying a DHX Air right now because of the less than favorable feedback I have heard and read on this and other forums. I would much rather use a DHX coil or a Marzocchi Roco coil if I desired a more freeride/all mountain setup and take the weight penalty, just my .02.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Fox Float R

Since the Heckler comes with the Float R as an option, why wouldn't the RP#3be a good choice........anyone?

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    Since the Heckler comes with the Float R as an option, why wouldn't the RP#3be a good choice........anyone?

I feel the RP3 is a great choice and that is why I currently have one installed on my Heckler. I have found it to be a good lightweight option to make your bike more versatile for xc/trail applications. The 3 ProPedal settings are great for overall xc trailriding/climbing/descending and I have had zero reliability issues thus far. I don't know why anyone would say that this is not a good shock option for the Heckler. I have found it to perform well on my Heckler, as well as my Blur. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh-luth
    I disagree.

I've had an RP3 on my Heckler for awhile now and am quite satisfied with the performance('03 frame w/ 7.875"x2.0"). I also have a Progressive 5th Element coil that came stock. I purchased the RP3 to lighten things up and to improve overall XC and trail performance. It all depends on what ride characteristics you're trying to achieve. A coil is obviously better suited to rougher terrain, drops, etc., but the RP3 is a great all arounder performer IMHO. I am leary of trying a DHX Air right now because of the less than favorable feedback I have heard and read on this and other forums. I would much rather use a DHX coil or a Marzocchi Roco coil if I desired a more freeride/all mountain setup and take the weight penalty, just my .02.
    I've also been using an RP3 on my 2005 Heckler. It replaced the heavy and sluggish feeling 5th coil (whose rebound blew after the third ride). I will admit I am not much of a suspension tinkerer, but I've been very happy with the RP3. It's given the bike a livelier feel and helped shed more than a pound. I ride a little of everything and althought I've bottomed out the RP3 a couple of times, it's seems to be running just fine after 500+ miles.

I thought about the DHX air, but that seems to be overkill in an air shock. Plus, the RP3 allows me to squeeze a bottle in the front triangle for those shorter rides when a Camelback just isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh-luth
    I disagree.

- That's fine, we all have opinions & different experiances....

I am leary of trying a DHX Air right now because of the less than favorable feedback I have heard and read on this and other forums.
    - The RP3's (not all but many) are having the same issues. Fox has sent memo's to pretty much every customer of theirs on this issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here's why.

The RP3 does not have quite the same air volume as the Float R, and it's Pro-Pedal feature is custom valved from Fox to deal with the leverage ratio. The aftermarket RP3's can and do work, they just are not as tunable as the DHX Air. The DHX Air also helps to cover up some of the negative traits of the single pivot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Spoke to Fox racing

Allright, the guys at Fox said the RP3 would work great on the Heckler. My LBS can get me the shock in the OEM 2.25 size. DMFT they did mention the tunability of the DHX air would let me get the plushest ride but I'm not much of a suspension tnikerer.

Fox racing was super helpful. I spoke to the dept that deals w/ manufacturers and even though I wasn't buying from them he spent 10 minutes on the phone with me giving me the in's and out's. I feel bad for forgetting his name

I'll make sure to report back with the experiment. Thanks for all of your feedback....LONG LIVE THE HECKLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Poseur
    I'm quite surprised that Fox is willing to sell you a "custom" RP3 with the 2.25 stroke. It's not a normal size that they offer. There was a guy on the board not too long ago that couldn't get Fox or SC to sell him the OE High Volume RP3 (7.875*2.25) to fit his BLT.

I think running the RP3 would be sweet. Personally, I would run the 2" stroke for 5" of travel though. Another option and the one I'm likely to pursue would be a "Pushed" Float R.

According to the dialogue that I've had with SC you'll want to avoid the "high volume" version of the RP3 as well.

mtbr member
    Another option and the one I'm likely to pursue would be a "Pushed" Float R.
    Almost ready for prime time. We're just waiting on one last produciton piece for our "Heckler" long travel kit. With this kit, we'll be able to take a stock 7.875" x 2.0" Float R, or Float RP3 and convert it to a 7.875" x 2.25". The kit will also include a Heckler specific "air volume disc" to adjust the air spring curve to optimize perfromance. The long travel kit will add $34.95 to the price of either our Factory Rebuild, or Factory Tuning System packages.

Darren
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got A Lust for Life...

Good job! Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    Almost ready for prime time. We're just waiting on one last produciton piece for our "Heckler" long travel kit. With this kit, we'll be able to take a stock 7.875" x 2.0" Float R, or Float RP3 and convert it to a 7.875" x 2.25". The kit will also include a Heckler specific "air volume disc" to adjust the air spring curve to optimize perfromance. The long travel kit will add $34.95 to the price of either our Factory Rebuild, or Factory Tuning System packages.

Darren

I know what my next shock will be. I have a float r sitting here unused. Apparently, not for long.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

ahhh man....

Nah, Fox or SC isn't selling me the the 2.25 RP3, My lbs is hooking it up. But How do I know it's the high volume version, can that be specified.

And then all this PUSH goodness comes up!!!!!!!!!! I'm confused

Will I be able to buy the heckler RP3 from PUSH or do I buy the normal 7.875 x 2.0 and then send it in to get PUSHED?

Thanks guys

Got A Lust for Life...
    Could always pick one up used on ebay cheap...use it...and have it PUSHED when it needs it.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Ultimate Poseur
    Nah, Fox or SC isn't selling me the the 2.25 RP3, My lbs is hooking it up. But How do I know it's the high volume version, can that be specified.

And then all this PUSH goodness comes up!!!!!!!!!! I'm confused

Will I be able to buy the heckler RP3 from PUSH or do I buy the normal 7.875 x 2.0 and then send it in to get PUSHED?

Thanks guys
    The high-volume version has a noticeably larger shock body. You don't want to get the high-volume version. Unless your shop is able to pull some strings or call in some other favors they aren't going to be able to get a normal or small volume RP3 with the 2.25 stroke either.

If I was you I'd see if your shop really can come through with a 2.25 RP3 for you. If not source a new one from them or find a used one, with 2" stroke, and send it to Push if you really need that .25 of stroke.
    Last edited by moff_quigley; 03-14-2006 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Either/Or. We'll be offering a complete kit for your existing shock, or you'll be able to purchase the 2006 Float R, or RP3 with the kit installed from us.

Due to the linear leverage rate of the Heckler, a high volume air sleeve is not recommended. We actually reduce the volume of the stock air canister in order to get the spring curve necessary.

Darren

Ultimate Poseur
    Darren...is this "air volume disc" user adjustable? On the fly? Can you get this without lengthening the stroke? I don't really think I need the extra .6" of travel a 2.25" shock gives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    How would this PUSH upgrade compare to the performance of the DHX-A on the Heckler? I have the original Float RL sitting in a box and might be interested...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Darren, would this kit be useful on a 2003 Fox AVA RL (7,875x2,00)?
    It would be great!!!

Bye
    Meduix

mtbr member
    Darren...is this "air volume disc" user adjustable? On the fly
    No, it's preset here at the Factory based on your rider weight and style.

Can you get this without lengthening the stroke?
    Yes. Our Heckler "Factory Tuning System" will be available in normal and long stroke applicaitons.

How would this PUSH upgrade compare to the performance of the DHX-A on the Heckler
    Different. With the RP3, we're able to tweak the air spring curve a little more and can build a speed sensitive compression circuit into the shock. From a tuning standpoint, we're really able to squeeze out big performance in a very lightweight package.

Darren, would this kit be useful on a 2003 Fox AVA RL (7,875x2,00
    Yes.

Darren

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    When will be this heckler tuning kit available?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtic
    When will be this heckler tuning kit available?
    What he said!

Please let us know when

mtbr member
    When will be this heckler tuning kit available
    First week of April.

Darren

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast