Thread: RP3 on Heckler

Baba Booey!

RP3 on Heckler

I just ordered my Heckler frame (ano black, medium). I ride XC for the most part, not a racer, and not a freerider. However I weigh in at about 225 with gear on and I do some light DH in Vermont on occasion. I've speced an RP3 for my frame, which my shop is willing to do, but I'm not locked in yet. Is this a good choice? I've read bad reviews of the DHX-A so I'm shying away from that, and I really don't see a need for a coil....
    thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The DHX-A is a good shock...

Don't give up on it. The biggest problem with them has been they stick down. This was with the first run shocks and Fox gladly repaired them. After the initial breakdown they work great. The other problem with them was people just didn't understand the set up on them. They do not work like the 5th or the 3/4-way shock. The boost valve and main chamber pressure are linked together and they must be tune in harmony to make it work best. A friend I ride with has two of them. One on a Bullit and the other on his Nomad. The first stuck down and the second is working fine. They are a large chamber shock and work well on both bikes.

I would personally look a a shock with a piggy back style design. It will also add the bottom out adjustment you might need at your weight. I reciently put on a 4-way on my Heckler and am really liking the ride over the coil over shock. I didn't think the shock would work on the Heckler but I must say it has been a great improvement.

I ride an XL and weigh @ 200lb. I ride aggresive XC stuff down here in Texas with an occasional run to Moab and New Mexico... My input!