TNC
    noMAD man

Rocky Nomad ride.

The last 3 days I've been riding my new Nomad at our favorite riding and camping place south of where I live. This place has lots of rocky buttes and very little flat terrain. It's constanly up and down...and did I mention this place has rocks?...lots of rocks...many of them loose babyhead types.

The one thing I noticed that this VPP does better than my Bullits is to pedal in rocks...loose or imbedded. It is noticeably easier to maintain momemtum and maintain a decent pedal stroke in these conditions. Now look...the Bullit doesn't suck or anything like that. It's just that I was definitely able to stay in the saddle longer on some of those loose, rocky climbs. Both my Bullits and this Nomad are almost exactly the same weight and equipped almost identically, so those variables are removed.

This place has much longer decents than my local riding trail. As long as speed is maintained, I didn't notice a dramatic difference between the Bullits and Nomad, but if speed decreased a little to negotiate a turn or obstacle, the Nomad is easier to control and maintains a smoother plushness through the rocks. Something in the wheelpath, linkage design, or other black magic in the Nomad frame allows it to negotiate rocks better than my Bullits, especially as speed drops in a very technical section. We've had a debate/argument over in DH/FR about this without any real conclusion. Like I said, this is no night-and-day difference between the two designs, Bullit/Nomad, but the Nomad definitely has an edge in rocky, technical terrain IMHO. The Nomad also seems to launch off of small drops or jumps very well even though it has a fairly long wheelbase. It's a super comfortable bike to ride and inspires lots of confidence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The last 3 days I've been riding my new Nomad at our favorite riding and camping place south of where I live. This place has lots of rocky buttes and very little flat terrain. It's constanly up and down...and did I mention this place has rocks?...lots of rocks...many of them loose babyhead types.

The one thing I noticed that this VPP does better than my Bullits is to pedal in rocks...loose or imbedded. It is noticeably easier to maintain momemtum and maintain a decent pedal stroke in these conditions. Now look...the Bullit doesn't suck or anything like that. It's just that I was definitely able to stay in the saddle longer on some of those loose, rocky climbs. Both my Bullits and this Nomad are almost exactly the same weight and equipped almost identically, so those variables are removed.

This place has much longer decents than my local riding trail. As long as speed is maintained, I didn't notice a dramatic difference between the Bullits and Nomad, but if speed decreased a little to negotiate a turn or obstacle, the Nomad is easier to control and maintains a smoother plushness through the rocks. Something in the wheelpath, linkage design, or other black magic in the Nomad frame allows it to negotiate rocks better than my Bullits, especially as speed drops in a very technical section. We've had a debate/argument over in DH/FR about this without any real conclusion. Like I said, this is no night-and-day difference between the two designs, Bullit/Nomad, but the Nomad definitely has an edge in rocky, technical terrain IMHO. The Nomad also seems to launch off of small drops or jumps very well even though it has a fairly long wheelbase. It's a super comfortable bike to ride and inspires lots of confidence.
    Thanks a lot for the great report. Still happy with the 36Van/DHX5 Air combo? Were the climbing and flats still good with the Van? No second thoughts about the TALAS?

You are a better man than me. If I wore a full face helmet and armour on a long cross country ride, I'm pretty sure I'd have a meltdown after a few miles of some ups.

Thanks again.

Cheesiest
    TNC-Are you running the Weirwolves on your Nomad? That terrain looks like it would eat up lightweight wide tires like the Weirwolves.

Sweet pics?

TNC
    noMAD man

Tires?

Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    TNC-Are you running the Weirwolves on your Nomad? That terrain looks like it would eat up lightweight wide tires like the Weirwolves.

Sweet pics?
    Most of us around here are running them...been running them for 2-3 years. We did notice this, however. If we tried to run the 2.1 or 2.3 Race model, the tire carcass was very susceptible to big thorn puncture damage or rock cuts. Surprisingly, just going to the 2.5 seems to stop this. I'll tell you this...the place we were riding this weekend has those hard sharp rocks...tons of them. It's a veritable rock test track for bikes, suspension, and tires. We also ride motorcycles at this place and put on a state sanctioned circuit enduro every year. We are usually considered the toughest enduro on the circuit. Why?....rocks. I can tell you truthfully that the 2.5 Weirwolf Race has stood up very well.

TNC
    noMAD man

Happy?...

Yeah, pretty much. That fork and rear shock have been awesome on the Bullit and Nomad. I sound like a broken record, but I think prospective Nomad owners should really be careful about how short a fork they install on this bike.

On the helmet and armor, you'd be surprised by the ventilation of the MX armor I use. The helmet is Pryme AL that has padding removed to mimic how my Giro Switchblade was padded. It's a highly ventilated helmet as is, but my mods retain cranial protection. It's obviously not as protective as my Giro Mad Max or Bell Moto 7, but who could wear one of those on 20 mile epic on a 78 degree day?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sounds like you would love the gravity dropper seat post!!! If only we were close by...you would be welcome try mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ...The helmet is Pryme AL that has padding removed to mimic how my Giro Switchblade was padded. It's a highly ventilated helmet as is, but my mods retain cranial protection. It's obviously not as protective as my Giro Mad Max or Bell Moto 7, but who could wear one of those on 20 mile epic on a 78 degree day?
    I have a Pryme and a Mad Max. They're both hot for me. A lot hotter than my Xen anyway. Nice mods to cool it off a bit though.

TNC
    noMAD man

Been looking at one.

Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider
    Sounds like you would love the gravity dropper seat post!!! If only we were close by...you would be welcome try mine.
    I just noticed that our QBP catalog had them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Where were you riding? Looks like city park in Austin..

TNC
    noMAD man

Good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by phlavorman
    Where were you riding? Looks like city park in Austin..
    I've ridden Emma Long (city park) at Austin, and just from those two pics, I can see how you'd make that call...especially that ledge pic, right? This riding place is on a ranch between Abilene and San Angelo. It's originally a dirt motorcycle place with about 80 miles of trail, but some of us are riding our big hit mountainbikes there too. Not dissin' Emma Long at all as I like that trail quite a bit, but this place is a whole lot rougher with bigger climbs and decents...and lots of rocks. Most mountainbikers we take there don't usually come back. It's even tough for most dirt motorcycle riders. Anyway, it's an awesome place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice pics!!! What a nice area to ride. TNC, what rim or wheelset is that on your bullit? I ordered a polished nomad and im looking for a silver/polished rims to match my bike. Love the looks of your bullit and alsoof your nomad

TNC
    noMAD man

Too light.

Quote Originally Posted by SpR(o)cKeT
    Nice pics!!! What a nice area to ride. TNC, what rim or wheelset is that on your bullit? I ordered a polished nomad and im looking for a silver/polished rims to match my bike. Love the looks of your bullit and alsoof your nomad
    Those were a set of Mavic 317s laced to a set of Hayes Hugi hubs...and experiment in light. They are actually too light for any long term durability for aggressive riding...even an old man like me. The best light/strong combe we''ve found around here are the Mavic CrossMax XLs with 2.5 tires. They work and they last. Those black CrossMax XLs looked darned good on a polished bike...remember my Bullit with them?

Living the Dream

Hey that looks much better than what we have in San Antonio

TNC is that place open to the public or are you just friends with the owner. We have some pay as you go ranches in the Hill Country (Flat Rock, Smithville, Reimer's). If that ranch is pay as you go, I'd love to check it out.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Those were a set of Mavic 317s laced to a set of Hayes Hugi hubs...and experiment in light. They are actually too light for any long term durability for aggressive riding...even an old man like me. The best light/strong combe we''ve found around here are the Mavic CrossMax XLs with 2.5 tires. They work and they last. Those black CrossMax XLs looked darned good on a polished bike...remember my Bullit with them?

I remember your silver bullit, I'm digging the polished finish! Are you running tubeless tire? What ust are you using or can advice to use on mine based on your experince?

TNC
    noMAD man

Just saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    TNC is that place open to the public or are you just friends with the owner. We have some pay as you go ranches in the Hill Country (Flat Rock, Smithville, Reimer's). If that ranch is pay as you go, I'd love to check it out.
    Sorry, Alpen, I just noticed this post. Funny you mention the hill country, as some of this ranch is very similar in many ways to the Comfort/Boerne area...I'm originally from SA. Amazingly the owner of this property doesn't charge anything. He's an off road enthusiast, so he lets us use the property other than during deer season. We even have electricity, a water well, and a really big new clubhouse at our camp area. It's an awesome place. The club charges $50 a year and that covers everything. We put on a state circuit dirt motorcycle enduro one a year, usually in March. You'd be more than welcome to come ride this place as long as you were a guest of a club member. If you we're going to be in the area and were interested, give me a PM. We even have a pretty decent local 12 mile trail that we've built over about a 4 year period. We always welcome people to come ride. Just last month I had some friends I got to know who worked at one of the shops in Moab, UT come by and do some riding with us.

TNC
    noMAD man

Tires.

Quote Originally Posted by SpR(o)cKeT
    I remember your silver bullit, I'm digging the polished finish! Are you running tubeless tire? What ust are you using or can advice to use on mine based on your experince?
    We've been running tubeless tires at our shop for over 4 years now, even back to the complete roll-yer-own tape and mold builder setups. For a couple of years now, most of us have been running 2.5 conventional tires set up in tubeless mode. Weirwolf Race models in the 2.5 size have totally reliable for us in our rocky terrain. There are others that work well too. We found that many of these larger converntional tires are no heavier than many 2.1 and 2.2 UST tires, and they have a carcass beefy enough to be reliable in tubeless mode.

I still have my silver Bullit and have no intention of parting with it yet.