mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Replacing Fox Bushings - a guide, with pictures

I replaced the old DU bushings on my Blur LT with the new fox bushings.

Because it is raining this weekend, I can't test them out, but I am 95% sure that this will solve the squeaking problem.

Fox 2013 Bushing Replacement

Hopefully tomorrow will be dry enough for me to hit city park. If it doesn't squeak there, it shouldn't squeak anywhere.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Those new Fox bushings will make noises now or after you have a few miles on them. I've been using them on my new FS bike from day one they have made a noise of & on. It's not a big deal......they work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Noises I don't mind. The noise that the old bushings were making were an "aluminum on aluminum" sound that reminded me of the creaking sound that I always heard just before I discovered a crack in my frame. That always freaks me out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Did a lap at city park and even in crappy conditions there was no squeaking, that was the problem that I had. Based on the fact that the old setup was aluminum and this is all plastic, as long as it lasts a reasonable amount of time, this was just what santa cruz really needs. The squeaking was unbearable and this would have been my 3rd set of bushings in a little over a year.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Did a lap at city park and even in crappy conditions there was no squeaking, that was the problem that I had. Based on the fact that the old setup was aluminum and this is all plastic, as long as it lasts a reasonable amount of time, this was just what santa cruz really needs. The squeaking was unbearable and this would have been my 3rd set of bushings in a little over a year.
    From what I've heard the VVP system really eats DU Bushings. One reason for the premature DU Bushing wear is those crappy hat style reducers Fox uses. But I think the new Fox system will at least give you more reliability.

b a n n e d
    Its not all plastic. The inner pin is metal.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, that is metal, but you are only as strong as the weakest link. Probably psychological but the action felt smoother on the rear shock.

What up, yo?
    Anybody have a link to where I can order this conversion kit? Not sure if it matters but it'll go on my RP23 mounted on a large Tallboy c. Thanks!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiigidy Wack View Post
    Anybody have a link to where I can order this conversion kit? Not sure if it matters but it'll go on my RP23 mounted on a large Tallboy c. Thanks!
    Just call Fox directly and tell them what bike you've got.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, they are only available directly from fox, which is a pain. $26 for both ends on my blur lt2, they shipped quickly

What up, yo?
    Cool. Thanks guys! That was easy. He said it should take about a week - hope it's quicker. 26 bucks plus shipping.
    Last edited by Wiigidy Wack; 10-02-2012 at 09:14 AM.

What up, yo?
    FYI - since replacing my shock bushings with the new hardware I haven't had ANY of the squeaking/creaking I was experiencing before. I tried everything but this seems to be what worked for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am still getting some creaks from other places, but the "squeal" that I would get from the DU bushings was too much. Terrible metal on metal. Sounded like a break in the frame. Now it is mostly seatpost/pivot noises.

mtbr member
    The only potential problem would be if the inner surface of the two plastic hat portions starts to collect an oxide layer...then you're back to metal/metal squeaking. BUT, I believe the metal portion Fox uses is stainless, and there are o-rings keeping moisture out. But even w/ that, I still wonder if it'd be wise to coat the friction surfaces w/ some suspension type grease...to remove oxygen from the equation?
    So, all should be good, at least for a while. However, plastic will deform over time so longevity of these things, if there are problems, should start showing up this coming summer.
    I took my link-side Fox hardware from my TB and slapped it in my Blur's top, and replaced the link-side hardware w/ RWC needles for the TB and Blur. All I can say, BUTTA!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice step by step. Will look into these after the current ones have worn a bit. Just put in a new shock.

Ninja Master Powers
    I replaced with both the upper and lower RP23 bushings on my Nomad C with RWC bearing.

They are much smoother and no noise, the upper bearing is pretty much a bling deal but WTH, at least the blue spacers match in both the top and bottom

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Wow, even I am not that anal-retentive

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sorry guys, someone pinged me to let me know the link was broken. New site changed all of the URLs and I forgot to do a redirect on this one.

It is at:

AustinBike.com - 2013 Fox Shock Bushings

Ninja Master Powers
    Wow, even I am not that anal-retentive
    I know I make myself crazy sometimes.

MIT sure how I got to be this way.

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011

RWC Needle Bearings!

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    The only potential problem would be if the inner surface of the two plastic hat portions starts to collect an oxide layer...then you're back to metal/metal squeaking. BUT, I believe the metal portion Fox uses is stainless, and there are o-rings keeping moisture out. But even w/ that, I still wonder if it'd be wise to coat the friction surfaces w/ some suspension type grease...to remove oxygen from the equation?
    So, all should be good, at least for a while. However, plastic will deform over time so longevity of these things, if there are problems, should start showing up this coming summer.
    I took my link-side Fox hardware from my TB and slapped it in my Blur's top, and replaced the link-side hardware w/ RWC needles for the TB and Blur. All I can say, BUTTA!
    +1! I installed these on both ends of the shock (RP 23/ TBc). Super smooth. Haven't had enough time on them to evaluate durability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    After 3.5 months, everything is still smooth. If only the rest of my suspension was that smooth and quiet.