mtbr member

Replacing BLT zerk nipples.....

So I went to fire some grease into my lower link this morning and when I pulled the grease gun, the zerk in my lower link broke in half. I was able to get the old one out without a problem and I have 2 extra nipples lying around. problem is, I cant figure out the best way to press the new nipple into the hole without damaging the nipple. (this is the original BLTc, so the zerks press in, not screw in)

I stuck it in there and tried hitting it with a rubber mallet but it wouldnt go all the way in there. I then put a block of wood on top of the nipple and hit the wood with a hammer. This pushed it in most of the way, but theres still about a milimeter left and I cant get it to go all the way in. and i think i still managed to damage the nipple (its a little mishapen looking, but worse, I think that some little pieces of wood got stuck in the hole and are keeping the little ball bearing from closing the nipple once I pump grease in there). I tried shooting some grease in there but it wouldnt flow at all, and because the ball bearing is stuck in there a little bit from wood particles, a little bit of grease kept shooting out because the nipple wouldnt close.

Anyways, I have one new nipple left and dont want to break the damn thing. Anyone have any ideas for getting it in there? (I tried pressing it in with some pliers as well, but didnt want to put a ton of force on the nipple for fear of breaking the nipple)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yank the damaged one and install the good one. Instead of a block of wood, use a flat bar of aluminum, brass, copper or other soft metal so you don't get small bits stuck in the tip.

Fred