mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Remedy 8 or Nomad for XC/Trail?

I'm stuck between these two for a while now. Which would be more suited for aggressive cross country and trail riding? I mainly ride long ups and steep downs but also some easy cross country stuff on occasion and want a longer travel all mountain plush bike. Remedy seems lighter but Nomad appears to climb better from all the reviews I read. I also wonder which one would be faster on fairly straight trail paths.

Ive ridden both around a parking lot but still can't decide. I also rode the BLT but would prefer something with more travel and less XC like I think. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Keisersoze; 04-18-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Remedy is more like a Blur with a relatively steep HA. Nomad is closer to Scratch. Nomad will descend better but Remedy will climb better, but depends on how you build them up. Nomad in general will be "faster on fairly straight trail paths."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keisersoze
    I'm stuck between these two for a while now. Which would be more suited for aggressive cross country and trail riding? I mainly ride long ups and steep downs but also some easy cross country stuff on occasion and want a longer travel all mountain plush bike. Remedy seems lighter but Nomad appears to climb better from all the reviews I read. I also wonder which one would be faster on fairly straight trail paths.

Ive ridden both around a parking lot but still can't decide. I also rode the BLT but would prefer something with more travel and less XC like I think. Thanks for any advice.
    There was an article on MTBR about the Nomadc vs. HD Ibis, vs. Remedy 9 c. The link doesn't seem to work though.

http://interbike.mtbr.comsanta-cruz-...nterbike-2010/

I doubt the Remedy is lighter. The Nomad frame is only 6.5lbs, whiich light for an aluminum AM 160mm frame. Most of my buddies Remedy 7's and 8's weigh 30-32lbs. My Nomad weighs 30.7lbs with UST tires and KS dropper post. The Remedy is a very capable AM/trail bike. The 68 HA make is pretty versatile like the Blur LT 2011. The Nomad will pedal better but on the XC stuff the 67 HA will feel floppy. I have a Lyrik 2 Step on mine that I use all the time when climbing here in Colorado. The Switch is closer to the Nomad like the other poster said. I do know the reviewer said in the comparison that the Trek was the plushest downhill.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago but I was stuck more between BLT and nomad. I orginally thought the BLT was a little more XC than I wanted but the models I test rode were running 150mm and smaller forks and had more XC biased cockpits. The nomads were on 160+ forks and had AM to FR cockpits. In the end I found a deal on a BLTc and put a 36 talas on it with a dropper post, flat pedals, 60 mm stem, and wide bars. This combo has been working great so far. It sounds like I use the bike for similar terrain to what you describe. It has handled 3 and 4' to flat on tight technical rocky trails w/o any problems. So in your case, I would recommend taking a hard look at the BLT, Pivot 5.7, and Ibis Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I own a nomad2 and have demoed a remedy. The Remedies full floater felt more active than vpp so I felt I needed propedal at times which I never need on the nomad. Geo is actually the same between the two but the new remedies are coming with shorter forks now so they are more xc biased compared to a stock nomad. Run a 160 on one and it should have a 67 HA like the nomad. I agree that the nomad is more kin to the scratch, but one can build up a remedy to be very similar to a nomad. I would say for xc/trial go blt, or the new Blur TR! Remedy is a fine bike but SC puts their links together better than trek, and I prefer the way VPP feels over full floater. The down tubes are wide and THIN, they dent VERY easy too.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99
    The Remedies full floater felt more active than vpp so I felt I needed propedal at times which I never need on the nomad. Geo is actually the same between the two but the new remedies are coming with shorter forks now so they are more xc biased compared to a stock nomad.
    Remedy is a single pivot bike. You will need to use Propedal for climbing at times. With VPP (and DWL) you won't need it.

Geometry has changed for Remedy. The newer one has a steeper head angle. The older one (2009? model) is slacker by a degree or so. Moreover, with Nomad you can run an Angleset to make it even more of a DH/FR machine.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Remedy is a single pivot bike. You will need to use Propedal for climbing at times. With VPP (and DWL) you won't need it.

Geometry has changed for Remedy. The newer one has a steeper head angle. The older one (2009? model) is slacker by a degree or so. Moreover, with Nomad you can run an Angleset to make it even more of a DH/FR machine.

If you check Trek's website you'll see the 2011 remedy has a 68 HA with a 150 fork. If you ran a 160 like a stock nomad and the older Remedy's it would be very close to 67 but not quite that slack. 67.4ish. 17mm=1 degree. To my understanding there's very little difference between older remedy's and the new ones other than they come with 150 forks and are marketed more as a trail bike instead of an AM bike. It's just marketing really, a new remedy with a 160, shorter stem, more aggressive tires etc.. is still an AM bike like is used to be, trek is just putting xc build kits on them now. .

Commit or eat sh!t
    If you check Trek's website you'll see the 2011 remedy has a 68 HA with a 150 fork. If you ran a 160 like a stock nomad and the older Remedy's it would be very close to 67 but not quite that slack. 67.4ish. 17mm=1 degree. To my understanding there's very little difference between older remedy's and the new ones other than they come with 150 forks and are marketed more as a trail bike instead of an AM bike. It's just marketing really, a new remedy with a 160, shorter stem, more aggressive tires etc.. is still an AM bike like is used to be, trek is just putting xc build kits on them now. .
    HA is different. And for me AM = trail bike. The thing about Nomad is that it can also be built like a light FR bike, especially with Angleset, longer forks like a Totem or 170mm Lyrik and a coil shock in the rear. That's where the differences come from (plus 10mm+ rear travel).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    HA is different. And for me AM = trail bike. The thing about Nomad is that it can also be built like a light FR bike, especially with Angleset, longer forks like a Totem or 170mm Lyrik and a coil shock in the rear. That's where the differences come from (plus 10mm+ rear travel).
    Do you understand how axle to crown affects geo? Take a look at Treks website and you'll see the difference in geo between the new Remedy and the older ones is due to axle to crown height. They didn't steepen the head angle, it's just the shorter fork. SC could put a 150 fork on the nomad and it would have a 68ish head angle. That doesn't mean they steepened the head angle.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Do you understand how axle to crown affects geo? Take a look at Treks website and you'll see the difference in geo between the new Remedy and the older ones is due to axle to crown height. They didn't steepen the head angle, it's just the shorter fork. SC could put a 150 fork on the nomad and it would have a 68ish head angle. That doesn't mean they steepened the head angle.
    Dude, of course I know how ATC heights effect HA. The general rule of thumb is 20mm = 1 degree difference. Trek was advertising Remedy with 67* HA with 160mm fork. Now they are saying 68* HA with 150mm fork. So Trek either they changed the geometry a bit (Trek also seem to have changed some features on it at the same time--see below thread) or they are rounding it off. In either case, it is steeper than Nomad which also allows you to run with Angleset or taller forks. Here's a rant by a friend of mine talking about the same thing:

Dear Trek:

My main point is that Nomad can be built up as a light DH/FR bike, since it has 160mm travel in the back (or 6.5" for the older generation). I mainly ride DH/FR, and I have lots of friends with such Nomads. I have yet to see (I am sure they might be out there) a Remedy built to do light DH/FR duty, especially since it has less travel in the back. Besides, Remedy's are not known for taking tough hits. Here is my friend's Remedy with a broken rear chain stay. He is a beginner, so we were all puzzled when it happened, especially as he was climbing. Trek did replace it under warranty, but it took 2 months.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Dude, of course I know how ATC heights effect HA. The general rule of thumb is 20mm = 1 degree difference. Trek was advertising Remedy with 67* HA with 160mm fork. Now they are saying 68* HA with 150mm fork. So Trek either they changed the geometry a bit (Trek also seem to have changed some features on it at the same time--see below thread) or they are rounding it off. In either case, it is steeper than Nomad which also allows you to run with Angleset or taller forks. Here's a rant by a friend of mine talking about the same thing:

Dear Trek:

My main point is that Nomad can be built up as a light DH/FR bike, since it has 160mm travel in the back (or 6.5" for the older generation). I mainly ride DH/FR, and I have lots of friends with such Nomads. I have yet to see (I am sure they might be out there) a Remedy built to do light DH/FR duty, especially since it has less travel in the back. Besides, Remedy's are not known for taking tough hits. Here is my friend's Remedy with a broken rear chain stay. He is a beginner, so we were all puzzled when it happened, especially as he was climbing. Trek did replace it under warranty, but it took 2 months.

I ride a nomad2 with a 36 180. No ones arguing the remedy is the same. I already stated it's closer to the scratch. Your math is a bit off: the difference between a 150 and 160 fork isn't always 10mm. It's often more depending on what forks you are comparing. Example: Rock Shock lyrik 160 is 529 axle to crown, rock shock Revelation 150 is 515. That's 14mm difference with only 10mm travel difference. The new remedy comes with a fox 150 which has a lower axle to crown than a rock shox 150. Remedy's used to come with lyriks with a 67 HA, now they have a Fox150 that's not just 10mm less travel but over 14mm shorter axel to crown height. And it's 17mm=1 degree not 20. My nomad has a 65.6 HA measured with an angle finder. If 20mm= 1 degree I would be sitting at 66 even.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I ride a nomad2 with a 36 180. No ones arguing the remedy is the same. I already stated it's closer to the scratch. Your math is a bit off: the difference between a 150 and 160 fork isn't always 10mm. It's often more depending on what forks you are comparing. Example: Rock Shock lyrik 160 is 529 axle to crown, rock shock Revelation 150 is 515. That's 14mm difference with only 10mm travel difference. The new remedy comes with a fox 150 which has a lower axle to crown than a rock shox 150. Remedy's used to come with lyriks with a 67 HA, now they have a Fox150 that's not just 10mm less travel but over 14mm shorter axel to crown height. And it's 17mm=1 degree not 20. My nomad has a 65.6 HA measured with an angle finder. If 20mm= 1 degree I would be sitting at 66 even.
    I said rule of thumb, not exact measurements. All depends on the particular frame/components.

I go by what Trek puts out, and the geometry certain seems to have changed from the 2009 to the 2011 model. HA has steepened from 67* to 68* while the BB height has increased from 13.8" to 13.9". If it was just the matter of using a 150mm fork with lower AC, you would expect the BB height to drop also. Chainstay is shorter in the newer model too. Explain that!

mtbr member
    Just get a Nomad so Cable and Slim can kiss and make up!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I said rule of thumb, not exact measurements. All depends on the particular frame/components.

I go by what Trek puts out, and the geometry certain seems to have changed from the 2009 to the 2011 model. HA has steepened from 67* to 68* while the BB height has increased from 13.8" to 13.9". If it was just the matter of using a 150mm fork with lower AC, you would expect the BB height to drop also. Chainstay is shorter in the newer model too. Explain that!
    I didn't realize they changed the chain stay, bb height could simply be higher volume tires. My point is the HA will come back to 67 with a lyrik. Man have we hijacked this thread over the Remedy's HA! Back to which bike is best for xc/trail, I would have to say the Remedy even though I believe the Nomad is a WAY better bike. The BLT is the remedy's competition so between those two I would go BLT. Trek scratch or Nomad, Nomad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the objective opinions. I was also thinking about the BLT but seems to me like it's a lot more XC oriented then the Remedy from what I've read and the short test rides that I did. I also still have the Yeti 575 in mind but not the biggest fan of the single pivot suspension as it seems not work well when going down and breaking on that bike.

BTW that Remedy/Nomad/Mojo review link worked last week, I just skimmed over it, I should have read it completely...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the objective opinions. I was also thinking about the BLT but seems to me like it's a lot more XC oriented then the Remedy from what I've read and the short test rides that I did. I also still have the Yeti 575 in mind but not the biggest fan of the single pivot suspension as it seems not work well when going down and breaking on that bike.

BTW that Remedy/Nomad/Mojo review link worked last week, I just skimmed over it, I should have read it completely...
    I think much of what you will see review wise with the BLT is from the older geometry with a 69 HA. The new one has a 68 HA and it can be built towards and AM build so its not so XC oriented. I also think since Trek has moved from a 67 to a 68 HA the Remedy and BLT will feel really similar. If you run a Talas or 2 STep RS fork you could have the option of running 140-160mm on the front of a BLT and it would make the bike very versatile. I had a BLT with the 69 HA and I wouldn't call it XC. I would have liked to have had the BLT with the 68 HA, it would have made it a better descender.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb73
    Just get a Nomad so Cable and Slim can kiss and make up!!
    Funny! If the BLT is too xc for you then yes, the nomad is the ticket. I love mine,. Also, the stumpy evo is another option: 67HA with 150 fork, sub 30lbs out of the box. It's like a blt with nomad geo. Enduro is pretty sweet too. Some dude placed 2nd Pro DH at Bootleg Canyon on one. That speaks volumes in regards to versatility.

Commit or eat sh!t
    You might also look into the newer Turner Spot. A little slacker than last year's, and you can run Angleset too. Climbs and descends as well as anything out there in a trail/AM bike.

That was going to be my next bike, until Blur TRc and Ibis SL-R came along. Now I am looking at those instead. Or maybe even a Tallboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No Turners in my area..would prefer not too add more bikes to the mix or my head will explode from reading reviews, test riding, talking with people ect...I'm already starting to get really tired of the process and it might come down to a flip of the coin soon...