Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread

Figured this would be a good tech thread especially since the "Brolo" is becoming quite popular and reducing a 150mm pike to 140mm is what the "Brolo" guys normally run and perhaps the bronson guys who can't find a 150mm fork or want to be able to change it from 150>160 depending on riding trips etc.

This is for my Bronson C XL frame I'm building.

So, apparently competitive cyclist have me down for getting a 160mm pike rather than the 150mm that I ordered from them. It's not supposed to ship out till around the 12/13/13 so I have a few weeks to decide if I want to keep the 160 they are apparently sending me or swap it for the 150 that I had originally wanted. maybe the 150 was not available through them or something I'm not sure.

It looks like you can reduce the pike 10mm the following ways

Going from a 150mm > 140mm (brolo guys)
    RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1
    Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1

Going from a 160mm > 150mm
    RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 160mm Travel 26 or 150mm Travell 27.5 A1
    Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 160mm Travel 26 or 150mm Travell 27.5 A1

Is this all that is necessary to reduce either of the forks. Are the any downsides to reducing the forks from the original 150mm or 160mm to 10mm below that?
    Anyone got a write up of them actually only changing out the airshaft alone with no other maintenance?

Revelation's Manual, quite similar to the Pike.
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/_j...ice_manual.pdf

mtbr member
    Good call on the thread. I am planning to do the whole 'Brolo' set up with a Pike. I have my Solo C frame and my Pike RCT3 160mm fork. Still need to order the air shaft.

I originally thought that the lowers would need to be removed in order to change the air shaft but it looks like (from the Revelation manual) that you can just remove the air shaft from the top of the upper tube which means no suspension oil is required. So the tools/bits required (as per the Revelation manual) would be:

1. 11.4018.026.003 - air Shaft PiKE Solo air 150mm travel 26”

2. 24 mm socket wrench to remove the air spring top cap
    (this is from the Revelation manual so the air spring top cap might be a different size on the Pike - I will confirm)

3. a pick to remove the top cap o-ring(s)

4. grease to re-grease the o-ring(s)

5. large internal snap ring pliers for the snap ring at the bottom of the non-drive side upper tube

6. isopropyl alcohol, rag around and long dowel for cleaning upper tube

I will order the air shaft soon and I will document the process of changing it.

mtbr member
    In case anyone is curious there's some really helpful info on the Pike in this thread...

Pike 2014

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    FWIW I'm running the Pike 160 on my Bronson C and love it. I use every millimeter of travel and wouldn't even think about lowering it. They should come from Santa Cruz w this fork as far as Im concerned. I'd run it the way it comes first if I were you.

mtbr member
    There's also one more option, although it's a bit more involved, and that's having the air shaft cut and re-threaded to whatever travel you want. You could do this at home with the proper tools, but most people should have it done at a machine shop. The Revelation is available in 10mm increments from 100 to 150mm and there's no reason the Pike can't do the same.

This would be good for Solo riders that want to keep the factory geometry (which is brilliant BTW).

To confirm, yes, a 24mm socket fits the top cap. But I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the air shaft from the top. You're better off removing the lowers since you should check that RS added the right amount of oil anyway. You can use any off the shelf 0W30 synthetic oil from your local auto parts store.
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Norco Torrent 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    ... I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the air shaft from the top. You're better off removing the lowers since you should check that RS added the right amount of oil anyway. You can use any off the shelf 0W30 synthetic oil from your local auto parts store.
    In which case I might as well order the following too:

- 11.4015.354.050 - RockShox Pike Suspension oil, 0W-30, 1 Liter Bottle (Bikeman RockShox Pike Suspension Oil 0-W30 1 Liter Bottle)

- 11.4315.004.020 - RockShox Rear Suspension Damping Fluid 3wt 16oz bottle (Bikeman SRAM PitStop Rear Suspension Oil: 3 Weight; 16oz)

- Bikeman Buzzy's Slick Honey (Bikeman: Grease)

I have listed Bikeman because seems to be the only on-line dealer that has the Pike 26" 150mm Air Shaft in stock (Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1)

Just placed my order so will hopefully be doing the conversion soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ordered mine from bikeman and did the conversion.It was easy and I have never serviced a fork before.

mtbr member
    What steps did you take to do the conversion? Did you basically just follow the air spring service from the Revelation manual? And did you remove the lower legs to do it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bob- I did not read the service manual for the rev. that would have been a good source of info but I didn't see it. All i did was remove the lowers,remove the snap ring keeping the airspring in and pull the airspring assembly out and then pull those bushings or whatever they are off and put them on the new airspring grease and re-install everything.The hardest part was getting the snap ring back on.I did re-install the lowers back on backwards and had to take them off and re-install them.There is a blow up of the fork on the RS service page.It is called the spare parts list.

mtbr member
    Can this be done the other way too?
    150 to 160

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kell12 View Post
    Bob- I did not read the service manual for the rev. that would have been a good source of info but I didn't see it. All i did was remove the lowers,remove the snap ring keeping the airspring in and pull the airspring assembly out and then pull those bushings or whatever they are off and put them on the new airspring grease and re-install everything.The hardest part was getting the snap ring back on.I did re-install the lowers back on backwards and had to take them off and re-install them.There is a blow up of the fork on the RS service page.It is called the spare parts list.
    Thanks so it really is that straight forward. Sounds like one of thos tasks that are just feel more intimidating than they really are.

mtbr member
    Pike RCT3 service manual has just been published... http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/si...e_manual_0.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Awsome thanks,It looks like they now have an airspring for 130mm of travel for 650b.
    I will try one of those also

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    Can anyone who has reduced a 150mm Pike 27.5 down to 140mm confirm that this results in a 10mm lower axle to crown height? I don't see any point in reducing travel unless it also comes with reduced ride height.

The reason I ask is that I was told by a very well-informed mechanic that while the travel is reduced (150 to 140mm) by changing the air shaft, the ride height remains unchanged..

Anyone done the change and can confirm or refute this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis View Post

The reason I ask is that I was told by a very well-informed mechanic that while the travel is reduced (150 to 140mm) by changing the air shaft, the ride height remains unchanged..

You need a new mechanic since yours is not very well informed. Reducing the travel will also reduce the overall height by the same amount. Check out the "Solo picture thread". There are a few guys that have reduced the travel on the Pike.
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Norco Torrent 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis View Post
    Can anyone who has reduced a 150mm Pike 27.5 down to 140mm confirm that this results in a 10mm lower axle to crown height? I don't see any point in reducing travel unless it also comes with reduced ride height.

quickneonrt on the Solo with beefy fork. thread confirmed an A-C of 530mm on a 150mm 27.5 Pike lowered to 140mm. The A-C spec for the 150mm 27.5 Pike is 542mm.

Also worth noting that in the RS parts list there is only one size replacement upper assembly for each wheel size (in either black and white) and there is only one size replacement lower leg assembly for each wheel size (in each colour; black diffusion black and white). Meaning the A-C height differences between travel lengths can't be a result of the uppers or lowers because they're the same across the board. I assume by this that the differences in A-C heights therfore come from the internals i.e. the air shaft.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    a-c measurement on my pike after changing the airshaft is 533mm
    the fox it replaced is 523mm @130 mm travel

mtbr member
    And if you are curious about what changing the stock Float 32 CTD to a Pike RCT3 27.5 would do to the head angle on a Santa Cruz Solo C, have a look at the following:

Fork Lengths, by Damon Rinard. Carbon forks and steering geometry changes.

The formula is:

arcsin [(old length - new length)/(wheel base)] = [change in head angle]°

Which would be (for a Large Solo C):

arcsin (523-533)/1140.1mm = -0.50255692°

(*using Arcsin(x) calculator | Inverse sine calculator)

A negative number in the result means your head angle will decrease/slacken by the value. So pretty much 0.5° slacker HA.

mtbr member
    For anyone who has already reduced the travel, why the need for the different length air piston? Why cant you just add spacers like other models? Kind of hard to tell form the manual (posted above) why this isn't possible.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What about effect to wheel base? You kick out the front it's getting longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    For anyone who has already reduced the travel, why the need for the different length air piston? Why cant you just add spacers like other models? Kind of hard to tell form the manual (posted above) why this isn't possible.

Thanks
    Cause they changed the way air equalize between the positive chamber to the negative. In the past there was a valve (i.e. in a Lyrik), and in other there was a small whole in the air piston that let air pass when the fork was fully extended.

Now, they use an whole in the stanchion (dimple) which is stationary. So the position of the piston to the dimple is very important now. With spacers you would put the piston above the dimple in the fully extended state so it wouldn't equalize the chambers.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Very interesting reply. How does the dimple work?

Is it a recess in the wall, meaning the seal doesn't expand all the way out there, therefore allowing air to leak past?

Or a dimple (soft protrusion outward) which deforms the seal on the piston to let the air pass?

I hope its something more similar to the recess. In either case, do you think this will accelerate wear on the air piston seal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Recess in the wall:
    http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...w48-670-75.jpg

Time will tell if it impacts on seal wear rate. It definitely does increase it, but the real question is how much.

mtbr member
    Thanks!! Good Job keeping track of that.

For others interested, more pics and info here:
    Gallery: Video: SRAM, RockShox back 650B wheel size Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member

Re: Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kell12 View Post
    Awsome thanks,It looks like they now have an airspring for 130mm of travel for 650b.
    I will try one of those also
    Where did you see it?
    Is it somewhere in the manual?
    I would like to try a 130 on a 650b pike...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    page 13 of the service manual shows 130mm air shaft in table.It may not be out yet by RS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I called rock shox today and they said air springs to make 650b or 26" 130mm and the 29er has a 120mm air spring available. I have not looked into it past that. This puts it just right for the Solo and even a trail riding Tallboy2? I am between these two bikes but am definitely interested in the increased stiffness and positive reviews of the pike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ive had a couple of rides on the pike now,it is a good fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skey44 View Post
    I called rock shox today and they said air springs to make 650b or 26" 130mm and the 29er has a 120mm air spring available. I have not looked into it past that. This puts it just right for the Solo and even a trail riding Tallboy2? I am between these two bikes but am definitely interested in the increased stiffness and positive reviews of the pike.
    Any chance you got a part number? I had a look at the 2014 service manual and its not listed there. I want to order one for my Solo and having the correct part number is going to make it a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I plan to look into it tomorrow. I am planning to order a Pike for my Solo build if I can find the 130mm spring.

mtbr member
    I just converted my 150mm 27.5"Pike to 130mm by taking a 26" - 150mm air shaft and cutting it down 10mm on a lathe. In this case there was no need to cut more threads for the lower shaft bolt. There are enough threads for the bolt if you only take 10mm of the 26" - 150mm shaft. I guess could have also just cut down the original air shaft but I wanted to preserve it for later use.

Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread-beforeafter.jpgReducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread-130mm.jpg

mtbr member
    The new air shaft for my Pike has arrived. This is the RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 (part#:11.4018.026.003). I am going to use this to lower a 160mm 27.5 Pike to 140mm for my Solo C.

Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread-pike-air-shaft.jpg

I also ordered the RockShox Pike Suspension Oil 0-W30 and the SRAM PitStop 3WT Rear Suspension Oil (Part#:11.4315.004.020 - I was originally confused by this because it's labeled as rear suspension oil but this is the part number listed for the Pike in the 2014 spare parts catalogue). I also ordered a 2oz tube of Buzzy's Slick Honey since it sounds like this is better suspension grease that the old Judy butter.

Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread-rockshox-oils.jpg

As mentioned before I will document the air shaft change and will post it here when it's done. I probably won't get to it until after xmas though. Also, it's been snowing quite a bit here in Ontario so snowboarding will take precedence

mtbr member
    The whole thing will take under 10 minutes. The trickiest thing was removing the C-clip. It helps if you push down against the seal to allow the c-clip to compress fully. There is a small ridge between the two ears of the c-clip that does not allow it to compress making it difficult to remove it.

I do suggest replacing the crush washers on both sides and the crush washer retainer on the spring side. This will ensure a right seal at the lower shaft bolts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBMRC View Post
    The whole thing will take under 10 minutes. The trickiest thing was removing the C-clip. It helps if you push down against the seal to allow the c-clip to compress fully. There is a small ridge between the two ears of the c-clip that does not allow it to compress making it difficult to remove it.
    That part is mentioned in the instructions iirc, it shows it been pressed down and moved so the ridge sits under the ears of the circlip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I take a small piece of pvc about a 1/2 wide and use it to push up so i can grab the c clip with snap ring pliers. That keeps you from jamming your fingers into the bottom of the stanchion tube, which sucks when you do it a lot.

I think the price on the air sping kits are rather high, and it would be cool if rock shox would just include 3 of them with a $1000 fork.

On another note, do you notice that only the last few clicks of your damper actually have any effect on the fork?

I do suggest replacing the crush washers on both sides and the crush washer retainer on the spring side. This will ensure a right seal at the lower shaft bolts.

CoolArrow
    Excellent thread, thanks for sharing the info. INcreasing my travel from 150/26" to 160/26", ordered the shaft from Bikeman, only one they had in stock at the moment. Will report back after the installation.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Am I right, that if I replace the air shaft in my Pike 27.5/150mm with this air spring, then I would get a ~130mm fork? Kit no. 11.4018.026.003
    It changes travel on a 20" to 120mm and a 26" to 150mm

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Esben View Post
    Am I right, that if I replace the air shaft in my Pike 27.5/150mm with this air spring, then I would get a ~130mm fork? Kit no. 11.4018.026.003
    It changes travel on a 20" to 120mm and a 26" to 150mm

No. Rockshox currently does not make a part that will lower the 27.5 fork to 130mm. If you read above I posted info on how I took the air shaft you mentioned (29/120 - 26/150) and cut it down 10mm. This brings the 27.5 pike down to 130mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasing simplicity
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    The new air shaft for my Pike has arrived. This is the RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 (part#:11.4018.026.003). I am going to use this to lower a 160mm 27.5 Pike to 140mm for my Solo C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pike Air Shaft.jpg 
Views:	2885 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	855999

I also ordered the RockShox Pike Suspension Oil 0-W30 and the SRAM PitStop 3WT Rear Suspension Oil (Part#:11.4315.004.020 - I was originally confused by this because it's labeled as rear suspension oil but this is the part number listed for the Pike in the 2014 spare parts catalogue). I also ordered a 2oz tube of Buzzy's Slick Honey since it sounds like this is better suspension grease that the old Judy butter.

Name:	Rockshox Oils.jpg 
Views:	3454 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	855998

As mentioned before I will document the air shaft change and will post it here when it's done. I probably won't get to it until after xmas though. Also, it's been snowing quite a bit here in Ontario so snowboarding will take precedence
    Bob, why did you choose to lower a 160mm Pike to 140mm rather than a 150mm Pike to a 140mm? Been trying to track the various conversions…musta missed something. Is it because you wanted the dual air?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Bob, why did you choose to lower a 160mm Pike to 140mm rather than a 150mm Pike to a 140mm? Been trying to track the various conversions…musta missed something. Is it because you wanted the dual air?
    Maybe its just because the easiest fork he could get was a 160mm version. Its not brain surgery.

mtbr member
    It's a Solo Air 160mm 27.5 Pike, so not dual position air. I ordered the Pike with my SC Solo C frame from my LBS. I assumed that they would have ordered the 150mm Pike so I was quite surprised when I saw they had ordered the 160mm. Still not sure why they ordered the 160mm, maybe they thought that I would change my mind.

Anyway, it doesn't matter much since I'm changing the air shaft anyway. As far as I can tell the only difference between the 150mm and 160mm Solo Air Pike is the sticker that says 160mm Solo Air and the actual air shaft. The sag markings on the stanchions show both the 150mm and 160mm markings. Not that these sag markings will help much once I have changed the air shaft.

chasing simplicity
    Got it, thanks!

chasing simplicity
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    It looks like you can reduce the pike 10mm the following ways

All the world must be reducing their 27.5 Pike travel...cannot find this part anywhere Google reaches...backordered worldwide! (Wonder if RockShox will simply offer a 140mm for 27.5?)

EDIT/UPDATE! Bikeman says this part is not expected to be back in stock until MARCH 17!
    Last edited by MattMay; 01-06-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    I have a 150mm on my Carbine 29er that I'd love to increase to 160mm. Has anyone attempted that conversion?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog View Post
    I have a 150mm on my Carbine 29er that I'd love to increase to 160mm. Has anyone attempted that conversion?
    I would imagine it would the same as reducing the fork, i.e. replace the air shaft with the 160mm 29er air shaft. The stanchions should have sag markings for both 150mm and 160mm, meaning the CSU is designed to accommodate either. According to the Rockshox parts list (http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/pG..._spc_rev_a.pdf) you need the following part:

Part#:11.4018.026.002 - Air Shaft PiKE Solo air 160mm travel 29” (can be used to change travel to 160mm on 29”) a1

Looks like it's out of stock at Bikeman Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 160mm Travel 29 A1

It's a pity it's a 29er Pike and not a 27.5 because otherwise I would offer you my 160mm air shaft. Mine is the 27.5 version so it would end up being 150mm for a 29er.

mtbr member
    I have completed the task of reducing my Pike to 140mm. I posted fairly detailed steps/pictures on the procedure here....

bob loblaw bike blog: Reducing the Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Air travel

mtbr member
    Absolutely brilliant post. Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    any ideas if you could go to 100mm with a 26" fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moreda_5 View Post
    any ideas if you could go to 100mm with a 26" fork?
    120mm is the shortest travel listed for the 26" Pike in the travel adjustment table on page 12 of the Pike service manual...

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/si...e_manual_0.pdf

SC Junkie
    Guy's I am fully aware that QBP, BTI and many others are saying there will be a long wait on the 26" 150 mm air piston. I called SRAM today and they have them. So if you really need or want one visit your local bike shop and have them order it for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So the LBS can actually order directly from SRAM? Going to have to ask them to do that, if so...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a question for you guys, I haven't had a RockShox since the Psylo. I'm thinking about getting an Atlas frame, when I look on Sram website, I can't tell if I can get the 140mm 29er Pike in a dual air?
    I can't find it in any stores. I'd like to be able to run it at 110mm for XC and 140mm for bigger days.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Do you mean "Dual Position Air" so you can reduce the ride height for climbing? "Dual Air" is gone.... that was the setup where you aired up your positive air chamber on the top of the left fork leg, and aired up the negative air chamber separately on the bottom of the leg. Now they're doing "solo air" where the neg chamber is charged automatically, and DPA which still uses a single air valve, but gives you the travel adjust feature.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Do you mean "Dual Position Air" so you can reduce the ride height for climbing? "Dual Air" is gone.... that was the setup where you aired up your positive air chamber on the top of the left fork leg, and aired up the negative air chamber separately on the bottom of the leg. Now they're doing "solo air" where the neg chamber is charged automatically, and DPA which still uses a single air valve, but gives you the travel adjust feature.
    Yea sorry I meant dual position air. Can't find a 140mm 29er version anyone. Sram's webpage is useless.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi guys i'm a bit lost to be honest.

one of the two post quoted below must be incorrect.
    They both use the same parts to change travel from 150mm to 130mm and also from 160mm to 140mm which makes perfect sense.But ''SFBMRC'' mentions that he also cut the 150mm 26" shaft by 10mm to archive the 130mm set up which means ''regularbob'' should have ended up with 150mm travel right?
    Am i missing something here?

Name:	Pike Air Shaft.jpg 
Views:	2885 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	855999

Name:	Rockshox Oils.jpg 
Views:	3454 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	855998

I just converted my 150mm 27.5"Pike to 130mm by taking a 26" - 150mm air shaft and cutting it down 10mm on a lathe. In this case there was no need to cut more threads for the lower shaft bolt. There are enough threads for the bolt if you only take 10mm of the 26" - 150mm shaft. I guess could have also just cut down the original air shaft but I wanted to preserve it for later use.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kraxeljoe View Post
    Hi guys i'm a bit lost to be honest.

one of the two post quoted below must be incorrect.
    They both use the same parts to change travel from 150mm to 130mm and also from 160mm to 140mm which makes perfect sense.But ''SFBMRC'' mentions that he also cut the 150mm 26" shaft by 10mm to archive the 130mm set up which means ''regularbob'' should have ended up with 150mm travel right?
    Am i missing something here?
    It should be 150 to 140 and 160 to 140. If you replace the shaft with a certain length shaft, in this case 140mm it always will be 140, doesn't matter what the original travel is, 150 or 160.
    You will need to cut it to go lower than 140mm...
    There is not 130mm option for 650b pike on the market yet, even though the RS manual mentions it, I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    of course, stupid me! thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Has anyone found a source for the air shaft 150mm 26" / 120mm 29" ?
    If so please let me know.
    If not has anyone succesfully cut down a 650b 150mm pike to 140mm? I'm assuming shortening the original air shaft by 10mm should do the trick?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Name:	beforeafter.jpg 
Views:	1709 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	855860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130mm.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	855861
    More info on this?? Is rethreading difficult after doing this procedure? What kind of lathe was used, and what additional tools are needed for rethreading? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This bloke cut his 27.5 160mm rod down to 150mm and said there was enough thread left, so no need to rethread.
    Last edited by TigWorld; 02-09-2014 at 03:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I’m interested in reducing the shaft length 20mm though, not by 10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have completed the task of reducing my Pike to 140mm. I posted fairly detailed steps/pictures on the procedure here....

bob loblaw bike blog: Reducing the Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Air travel

I read your instructions, just wondering, the air shaft being in the left is straight forward, but let say you have a 130 Pike and you buy a 160 air shaft, is the rebound assembly in the right long enough to make a Pike longer?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How does the Solo ride with a 140mm Pike?

2AA
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread-pike.jpg
    Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread-pike-inside.jpg
    more details in pdf data sheet:https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...pc_rev_a_0.pdf

Hey to all,
    I am looking to reduce my 27.5 pike dual position 160-130mm to 150mm.
    From some research that I have done on the net I came to conclusion that I need to change only the air shaft on the left side part number 18 ?

11.4018.026.006 Air Shaft PIKE Dual Position Air 160mm travel 27.5” (can be used to change travel to 160mm on 27.5”) A1
    It nice to BE important But It more important to BE nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    How does the Solo ride with a 140mm Pike?
    Considering the AC of the 140 Pike is almost the same as the stock 130 Fox- one would have to guess pretty dame well.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Considering the AC of the 140 Pike is almost the same as the stock 130 Fox- one would have to guess pretty dame well.
    I can't find where anyone has measured the stock Fox 130 fork that comes with the 5010.
    Santa Cruz says 519mm axle to crown.. is this close to accurate?
    My Bronson was around 551-553mm and SC says 544mm ----> Fox34 150
    I'm building a 5010 with a Pike and would like to know for sure what really comes on the bikes built by Santa Cruz

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    I can't find where anyone has measured the stock Fox 130 fork that comes with the 5010.
    I'm building a 5010 with a Pike and would like to know for sure what really comes on the bikes built by Santa Cruz
    Well you could have gone to Fox's webpage and looked.
    FORK- 2014 32mm 27.5in. User Specification Drawings | Bike Help Center | FOX

517.7 plus or minus 5
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My Fox Float 130 measured A-C is ~515mm.

mtbr member
    Well you could have gone to Fox's webpage and looked.
    FORK- 2014 32mm 27.5in. User Specification Drawings | Bike Help Center | FOX

517.7 plus or minus 5
    As I said in my post the fork that came on my Bronson was quite a bit longer then what both Santa Cruz and Fox say on the spec sheet. Axle to crown measured out almost 10mm longer then spec. The travel measured right at 150mm.
    I wanted to know if it is the same situation with the fork spec'd on the 5010
    Spec on a 140 Pike is 532mm. That's 17mm longer the what Wheatgerm measured his fork at 515mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As I said in my post the fork that came on my Bronson was quite a bit longer then what both Santa Cruz and Fox say on the spec sheet. Axle to crown measured out almost 10mm longer then spec. The travel measured right at 150mm.
    I wanted to know if it is the same situation with the fork spec'd on the 5010
    Spec on a 140 Pike is 532mm. That's 17mm longer the what Wheatgerm measured his fork at 515mm.
    That will be a crap shoot. All they forks have tolerances on the AC measurement, you could get a tall Fox and short Pike then the measurement could be under 10 or the opposite and larger than 17.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I read your instructions, just wondering, the air shaft being in the left is straight forward, but let say you have a 130 Pike and you buy a 160 air shaft, is the rebound assembly in the right long enough to make a Pike longer?
    Apologies for the late reply. I think someone else asked a similar question about increasing the travel on the 29er Pike.

As far as I can tell from the Pike manual and the Rockshox parts list that the air spring is the only factor in changing the travel. I have just made this assumption based on what is available on the parts list (page 47 - https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...pc_rev_a_0.pdf). From what I can see, all the parts relating to the charger damper assembly (on the drive side - which is the side with the rebound knob), meaning the damper internals, etc. only have RC and RCT3 versions, one for each side i.e 26, 27.5 and 29. There doesn't seem to be anything specific to travel length. The same goes for the lower leg and upper leg assemblies. There are black/white options for the Solo and Dual Position versions of the lower and upper assemblies for each wheel size.

I am not sure if my assumptions are correct but it seems to me that from this, one can expect that the damper, lower leg and upper leg assembly are the same for all lengths of travel within the wheel size. Meaning if you currently have a 150mm 27.5 Pike and you want to lower it to 140mm, you would only have to change the air shaft and nothing else. And similarly, you could also increase the travel to 160mm by just changing the air shaft.

mtbr member
    On that note... anyone want to trade a Pike 27.5-160mm / 29-140mm air shaft (P/N: 11.4018.026.001)? I am looking for a Pike 27.5-150mm / 29-130mm / 26-160mm air shaft (P/N: 11.4018.026.000).

I figured I would never run my Solo with a Pike at 160mm, but if I had a 150mm air shaft I would consider running my Pike at 150mm (just to try it).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well, based off the info in this thread I managed to lower my Pike to 130mm from 150 for a Blur TRc. Seems like it’s really hard to sag the fork 30% now. Using the pressure chart printed on the side doesn’t work. Am I wrong in assuming I should be getting 39mm of sag after the shaft length reduction?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Last night I tried removing the Schrader valve and cycling the fork after reading this thread.

It was difficult to press the stanchions down, but once it got low enough the non-driveside dust wiper seal popped out! Then the fork easily cycled completely up and down. Seems there was some air trapped in the lower leg. Maybe the shaft seals need to be replaced?

I tried gently pushing the dust wiper seal back in with a plastic tire lever and re-inflating the fork. Suddenly the suggested air pressure guidelines were spot on. I was getting 39mm of travel with exactly the recommended air pressure for my weight.

However, I came back this morning to recheck the air pressure, and not only had the fork lost 20psi overnight, but the non-driveside dust wiper seal popped out again as soon as I cycled the fork a few times.

I’m in a bind here — not sure if I should send to SRAM or not since I have a user modified air shaft installed. Maybe I should do the recommended service again and use the rest of the seals in my basic service kit + the lower leg service?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On that note... anyone want to trade a Pike 27.5-160mm / 29-140mm air shaft (P/N: 11.4018.026.001)? I am looking for a Pike 27.5-150mm / 29-130mm / 26-160mm air shaft (P/N: 11.4018.026.000).

I figured I would never run my Solo with a Pike at 160mm, but if I had a 150mm air shaft I would consider running my Pike at 150mm (just to try it).
    They have that part in stock at Bikeman.com. I purchased one a week ago.

mtbr member
    120 and 130mm air shafts should be available in about a month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Price to pay for being an early adopter I guess?

Anyway, I got the air leak fixed near as I can tell by doing a full air shaft seal replacement, but I wanted to mention to all reading regularbob’s blog writeup: although an awesome guide, Bob suggests to loctite the lower bolts before reinstalling even though it doesn’t say so in the official service manual. BIG mistake — I had to go to the LBS and spend an hour working with the mechanic trying to free the rebound bolt from the charger damper. Luckily our two man job didn’t damage the damper near as we can tell, and the loctite was removed before reinstalling the lowers. Do NOT put loctite on the lower bolts unless you want to risk destroying your air shaft or charger damper.

Respect to regularbob but there’s a reason SRAM doesn’t mention loctite for those bolts and I found out the hard way.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Did you perhaps use the stronger of the 2 lock tights?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nope — standard 242 blue and Park Tool torque wrench set to 7.3Nm. Just don’t do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j-fox View Post
    Price to pay for being an early adopter I guess?

Anyway, I got the air leak fixed near as I can tell by doing a full air shaft seal replacement, but I wanted to mention to all reading regularbob’s blog writeup: although an awesome guide, Bob suggests to loctite the lower bolts before reinstalling even though it doesn’t say so in the official service manual. BIG mistake — I had to go to the LBS and spend an hour working with the mechanic trying to free the rebound bolt from the charger damper. Luckily our two man job didn’t damage the damper near as we can tell, and the loctite was removed before reinstalling the lowers. Do NOT put loctite on the lower bolts unless you want to risk destroying your air shaft or charger damper.

Respect to regularbob but there’s a reason SRAM doesn’t mention loctite for those bolts and I found out the hard way.
    Apologies j-fox for the hassles you had with the loctite and I feel somewhat to blame for the bad advice. I haven't tried removing my bottom bolts yet (haven't had the need to just yet) so not sure yet if I will experience the same issues.

I had a look again at the manuals, and you're right, there's no mention of thread lock in either the Pike or Revelation manuals. I have been doing it on my '09 Revelation 426's so I went back to my notes to try figure out where I got the idea that it was required, and I found that it in a Bikeradar Workshop tutorial page where I saw it way back when I did the first lower leg service on my Revelations (Workshop: RockShox Revelation lower leg service - BikeRadar). I suspect that after a season of riding, the thread lock's grip eases to the point where the bolts are removable. Having given this a little more thought though, I realise that this is fine and all if you fork only needs attention at service intervals but (as in your case) if you have any issues with seals, etc. and you need to reopen the fork then having the thread lock is definitely not good. And admittedly, I have been using an alternative thread locker which might not have the same level of grip/lock - the first time I've used to Loctite 242 is on my Pike. Again I am so sorry that you had to be the first one to discover this. I will remove that section in my blog post.

Other people will more than likely struggle with this too.. what did you do to remove the bolts?

I did a quick google last night and found (under a general sense) that you can remove bolts with Loctite 242 blue by touching the bolt head with either a glue gun or a soldering iron - the heat apparently lessens the grip. Not sure how good an idea that is with a $900 fork like the Pike. This would probably do damage to any seals that touch the shafts.
    Last edited by regularbob; 03-13-2014 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Other people will more than likely struggle with this too.. what did you do to remove the bolts?

I did a quick google last night and found (under a general sense) that you can remove bolts with Loctite 242 blue by touching the bolt head with either a glue gun or a soldering iron - the heat apparently lessens the grip. Not sure how good an idea that is with a $900 fork like the Pike. This would probably do damage to any seals that touch the shafts.
    Heat gun, carburetor cleaner, rethreading and backing the bolt out, using a display hanger with a makeshift rubber tip to hold the lower shaft of the charger damper with the damper lifted as high out of the uppers as it could go while turning the bolt. It was a two man job and it took us a long time to free it. Sore hands and enchiladas soon followed our triumph over the stuck bolt.

There really wasn’t an ideal way to free it without possible damage. Luckily, the lowers and damper seemed intact after what we did, with a small amount of weeping 3wt oil from the bottom seal on the damper when pushed in at an angle. In real world usage the shaft probably doesn’t get moved that way so I’m not too worried about it at the moment.

I don’t fault you — okay maybe the limeys a little. Honestly dude, you’re taking time out of your life to provide a free guide to all us would-be mechanics out there and it’s a very helpful thing. I have noticed that SRAM’s gear doesn’t have as much margin for error as Shimano/Fox counterparts, so from now on I’ll be extra precise when dealing with their products.

mtbr member
    Just to let everyone know, I have updated my blog posting. I have opened up the comments so that you can discuss your experience with reducing the Pike travel, and also raise any issues you may have encountered during the process. And I have also listed the issues that have already been raised, including the issue with using Loctite.

Regularbob's bike blog: Reducing the Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Air travel

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Super basic question that I'm having trouble finding the answer too, so I thought I'd ask...

Are there basically three sizes of the Pike, 26", 27.5, and 29? Then each of them can be modified between 120-160 depending on the air shaft?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Surfpoodi View Post
    Super basic question that I'm having trouble finding the answer too, so I thought I'd ask...

Are there basically three sizes of the Pike, 26", 27.5, and 29? Then each of them can be modified between 120-160 depending on the air shaft?
    Yes, that is correct.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Yes, that is correct.
    Yahtzee! Thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2005

What's the cost of an air shaft assembly...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    What's the cost of an air shaft assembly...
    Around US$40.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi!
    here are some Information about the 27,5" 130mm/26" 140mm AirShaft:

Description:

AIR SHAFT PIKE SA 140-26/130-27

Partnumber:

Availability:

"Looks like the part is set to be in production within the next week. Distributors can order the part at this time."
    Quote: RockShox USA

Greetings from Germany!
    JP

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just wanted to mention that when reinstalling the lowers, make sure to slide them all the way up to the crown before installing the bottom bolts. Leave the schrader valve out while you push the lowers up with the fresh oil inside (obviously do this with the fork inverted).

When installing the lowers by sliding them up only as far as necessary to reach the bolt threads, there is a positive air gap that forms in the non-drive side of the lowers between the dust wiper and crush washer that acts like a secondary air spring, causing the fork to require far less pressure than the chart in order to achieve full sag. This makes everything work wrong. The air spring and charger damper are not designed to work too far outside the range of force generated by the positive air chamber between the top of the air shaft and schrader valve.

I don’t know why Rockshox fails to mention this, but I’ve popped my non-driveside dust wiper out twice from this air gap problem. Judging from other threads, they are sometimes assembling these forks from the factory with the same issue. People complain of not getting full travel, even when they let all the air out of the fork. There have also been complaints of stock, unmodified forks popping their non-driveside dust wipers out. The positive air gap is the culprit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would like to buy the new 29" 2014 pike. Theres an option Im taking another frame with more travel next year. Which fork is the best for keeping all options open?

Can somebody please let me know whats possible? With a new airshaft I can:

- Make the 29" 150 a 140? 11.4018.026.001 (10mm less travel)
    - Make the 29" 150 a 160? 11.4018.026.002 (10mm more travel)
    - Make the 29" 140 a 160? 11.4018.026.002 (20mm more travel)
    - Make the 29" 140 a 150? 11.4018.026.004 (10mm more travel)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie24 View Post
    I would like to buy the new 29" 2014 pike. Theres an option Im taking another frame with more travel next year. Which fork is the best for keeping all options open?

Thanks!
    I have a frame with rockers for both 5 and 6 inch rear travel. I'll be buying the 140mm 29er fork since that what I'll use most often and want the correct sag markings. When I go to the 6 inch rocker for bike parks, I'll throw in the 160mm airshaft.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member

Thanks!
    You can basically change any airshaft for any airshaft you want. 120mm to 160mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So every fork is the same except for the air shaft?

That means I can change a 29" 140 to a 29" 160 only by changing the air shaft?

mtbr member

So every fork is the same except for the air shaft?

That means I can change a 29" 140 to a 29" 160 only by changing the air shaft?
    Yes. Within one size of fork (in your case 29" )you can install any air shaft between 120mm and 160mm. While some air shafts are the same across the fork sizes, they will produce a different travel on different fork sizes.
    A 120mm 29" air shaft = 140mm 650b = 150mm 26".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Yes. Within one size of fork (in your case 29" )you can install any air shaft between 120mm and 160mm. While some air shafts are the same across the fork sizes, they will produce a different travel on different fork sizes.
    A 120mm 29" air shaft = 140mm 650b = 150mm 26".
    Thats fricken awesome Rockshox. And at $40 plus a little labor or time. Icing !

mtbr member
    Can someone post the part number for the 27.5 140mm air shaft

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cmeride View Post
    Can someone post the part number for the 27.5 140mm air shaft
    Check under Pike page 46-49
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Ddc0FPzvJgvvkQ
    Last edited by jazzanova; 03-27-2014 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The spare Part Catalogue only lists up 150mm and 160mm airshafts.

But you can contact RockShox USA at Facebook and should get an answer/Part number very quick.
    And don't forget to share it here, thanks!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by www.bike2do.de View Post
    The spare Part Catalogue only lists up 150mm and 160mm airshafts.

But you can contact RockShox USA at Facebook and should get an answer/Part number very quick.
    And don't forget to share it here, thanks!
    Actually it does. The 150mm 26" air shaft is the same used in 120mm 29", which is the same used in 140mm 27.5"...
    So the 140mm 27.5 solo air shaft # in the catalog is 11.4018.026.003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast