Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread

Figured this would be a good tech thread especially since the "Brolo" is becoming quite popular and reducing a 150mm pike to 140mm is what the "Brolo" guys normally run and perhaps the bronson guys who can't find a 150mm fork or want to be able to change it from 150>160 depending on riding trips etc.

This is for my Bronson C XL frame I'm building.

So, apparently competitive cyclist have me down for getting a 160mm pike rather than the 150mm that I ordered from them. It's not supposed to ship out till around the 12/13/13 so I have a few weeks to decide if I want to keep the 160 they are apparently sending me or swap it for the 150 that I had originally wanted. maybe the 150 was not available through them or something I'm not sure.

It looks like you can reduce the pike 10mm the following ways

Going from a 150mm > 140mm (brolo guys)
    RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1
    Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1

Going from a 160mm > 150mm
    RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 160mm Travel 26 or 150mm Travell 27.5 A1
    Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 160mm Travel 26 or 150mm Travell 27.5 A1

Is this all that is necessary to reduce either of the forks. Are the any downsides to reducing the forks from the original 150mm or 160mm to 10mm below that?
    Anyone got a write up of them actually only changing out the airshaft alone with no other maintenance?

Revelation's Manual, quite similar to the Pike.
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/_j...ice_manual.pdf

mtbr member
    Good call on the thread. I am planning to do the whole 'Brolo' set up with a Pike. I have my Solo C frame and my Pike RCT3 160mm fork. Still need to order the air shaft.

I originally thought that the lowers would need to be removed in order to change the air shaft but it looks like (from the Revelation manual) that you can just remove the air shaft from the top of the upper tube which means no suspension oil is required. So the tools/bits required (as per the Revelation manual) would be:

1. 11.4018.026.003 - air Shaft PiKE Solo air 150mm travel 26

2. 24 mm socket wrench to remove the air spring top cap
    (this is from the Revelation manual so the air spring top cap might be a different size on the Pike - I will confirm)

3. a pick to remove the top cap o-ring(s)

4. grease to re-grease the o-ring(s)

5. large internal snap ring pliers for the snap ring at the bottom of the non-drive side upper tube

6. isopropyl alcohol, rag around and long dowel for cleaning upper tube

I will order the air shaft soon and I will document the process of changing it.

mtbr member
    In case anyone is curious there's some really helpful info on the Pike in this thread...

Pike 2014

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    FWIW I'm running the Pike 160 on my Bronson C and love it. I use every millimeter of travel and wouldn't even think about lowering it. They should come from Santa Cruz w this fork as far as Im concerned. I'd run it the way it comes first if I were you.

mtbr member
    There's also one more option, although it's a bit more involved, and that's having the air shaft cut and re-threaded to whatever travel you want. You could do this at home with the proper tools, but most people should have it done at a machine shop. The Revelation is available in 10mm increments from 100 to 150mm and there's no reason the Pike can't do the same.

This would be good for Solo riders that want to keep the factory geometry (which is brilliant BTW).

To confirm, yes, a 24mm socket fits the top cap. But I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the air shaft from the top. You're better off removing the lowers since you should check that RS added the right amount of oil anyway. You can use any off the shelf 0W30 synthetic oil from your local auto parts store.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    ... I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the air shaft from the top. You're better off removing the lowers since you should check that RS added the right amount of oil anyway. You can use any off the shelf 0W30 synthetic oil from your local auto parts store.
    In which case I might as well order the following too:

- 11.4015.354.050 - RockShox Pike Suspension oil, 0W-30, 1 Liter Bottle (Bikeman RockShox Pike Suspension Oil 0-W30 1 Liter Bottle)

- 11.4315.004.020 - RockShox Rear Suspension Damping Fluid 3wt 16oz bottle (Bikeman SRAM PitStop Rear Suspension Oil: 3 Weight; 16oz)

- Bikeman Buzzy's Slick Honey (Bikeman: Grease)

I have listed Bikeman because seems to be the only on-line dealer that has the Pike 26" 150mm Air Shaft in stock (Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1)

Just placed my order so will hopefully be doing the conversion soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ordered mine from bikeman and did the conversion.It was easy and I have never serviced a fork before.

mtbr member
    What steps did you take to do the conversion? Did you basically just follow the air spring service from the Revelation manual? And did you remove the lower legs to do it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bob- I did not read the service manual for the rev. that would have been a good source of info but I didn't see it. All i did was remove the lowers,remove the snap ring keeping the airspring in and pull the airspring assembly out and then pull those bushings or whatever they are off and put them on the new airspring grease and re-install everything.The hardest part was getting the snap ring back on.I did re-install the lowers back on backwards and had to take them off and re-install them.There is a blow up of the fork on the RS service page.It is called the spare parts list.

mtbr member
    Can this be done the other way too?
    150 to 160

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kell12 View Post
    Bob- I did not read the service manual for the rev. that would have been a good source of info but I didn't see it. All i did was remove the lowers,remove the snap ring keeping the airspring in and pull the airspring assembly out and then pull those bushings or whatever they are off and put them on the new airspring grease and re-install everything.The hardest part was getting the snap ring back on.I did re-install the lowers back on backwards and had to take them off and re-install them.There is a blow up of the fork on the RS service page.It is called the spare parts list.
    Thanks so it really is that straight forward. Sounds like one of thos tasks that are just feel more intimidating than they really are.

mtbr member
    Pike RCT3 service manual has just been published... http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/si...e_manual_0.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Awsome thanks,It looks like they now have an airspring for 130mm of travel for 650b.
    I will try one of those also

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    Going from a 150mm > 140mm (brolo guys)
    RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1
    Bikeman RockShox Pike Air Shaft Solo Air 150mm Travel 26/120mm Travel 29 A1
    Can anyone who has reduced a 150mm Pike 27.5 down to 140mm confirm that this results in a 10mm lower axle to crown height? I don't see any point in reducing travel unless it also comes with reduced ride height.

The reason I ask is that I was told by a very well-informed mechanic that while the travel is reduced (150 to 140mm) by changing the air shaft, the ride height remains unchanged..

Anyone done the change and can confirm or refute this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis View Post

The reason I ask is that I was told by a very well-informed mechanic that while the travel is reduced (150 to 140mm) by changing the air shaft, the ride height remains unchanged..

You need a new mechanic since yours is not very well informed. Reducing the travel will also reduce the overall height by the same amount. Check out the "Solo picture thread". There are a few guys that have reduced the travel on the Pike.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis View Post
    Can anyone who has reduced a 150mm Pike 27.5 down to 140mm confirm that this results in a 10mm lower axle to crown height? I don't see any point in reducing travel unless it also comes with reduced ride height.

quickneonrt on the Solo with beefy fork. thread confirmed an A-C of 530mm on a 150mm 27.5 Pike lowered to 140mm. The A-C spec for the 150mm 27.5 Pike is 542mm.

Also worth noting that in the RS parts list there is only one size replacement upper assembly for each wheel size (in either black and white) and there is only one size replacement lower leg assembly for each wheel size (in each colour; black diffusion black and white). Meaning the A-C height differences between travel lengths can't be a result of the uppers or lowers because they're the same across the board. I assume by this that the differences in A-C heights therfore come from the internals i.e. the air shaft.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    a-c measurement on my pike after changing the airshaft is 533mm
    the fox it replaced is 523mm @130 mm travel

mtbr member
    And if you are curious about what changing the stock Float 32 CTD to a Pike RCT3 27.5 would do to the head angle on a Santa Cruz Solo C, have a look at the following:

Fork Lengths, by Damon Rinard. Carbon forks and steering geometry changes.

The formula is:

arcsin [(old length - new length)/(wheel base)] = [change in head angle]

Which would be (for a Large Solo C):

arcsin (523-533)/1140.1mm = -0.50255692

(*using Arcsin(x) calculator | Inverse sine calculator)

A negative number in the result means your head angle will decrease/slacken by the value. So pretty much 0.5 slacker HA.

mtbr member
    For anyone who has already reduced the travel, why the need for the different length air piston? Why cant you just add spacers like other models? Kind of hard to tell form the manual (posted above) why this isn't possible.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What about effect to wheel base? You kick out the front it's getting longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    For anyone who has already reduced the travel, why the need for the different length air piston? Why cant you just add spacers like other models? Kind of hard to tell form the manual (posted above) why this isn't possible.

Thanks
    Cause they changed the way air equalize between the positive chamber to the negative. In the past there was a valve (i.e. in a Lyrik), and in other there was a small whole in the air piston that let air pass when the fork was fully extended.

Now, they use an whole in the stanchion (dimple) which is stationary. So the position of the piston to the dimple is very important now. With spacers you would put the piston above the dimple in the fully extended state so it wouldn't equalize the chambers.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Very interesting reply. How does the dimple work?

Is it a recess in the wall, meaning the seal doesn't expand all the way out there, therefore allowing air to leak past?

Or a dimple (soft protrusion outward) which deforms the seal on the piston to let the air pass?

I hope its something more similar to the recess. In either case, do you think this will accelerate wear on the air piston seal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Recess in the wall:
    http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...w48-670-75.jpg

Time will tell if it impacts on seal wear rate. It definitely does increase it, but the real question is how much.

mtbr member
    Thanks!! Good Job keeping track of that.

For others interested, more pics and info here:
    Gallery: Video: SRAM, RockShox back 650B wheel size Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member

Re: Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kell12 View Post
    Awsome thanks,It looks like they now have an airspring for 130mm of travel for 650b.
    I will try one of those also
    Where did you see it?
    Is it somewhere in the manual?
    I would like to try a 130 on a 650b pike...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast