mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Razor Rock Racing hubs?

I just inherited some r3 20mm hubs made by Razor Rock Racing and can’t seem to find that much info on them on line, seems the company went out of business.

I know some people used them on Super 8’s (because of something to do with the spacing on the rear of the frame?) back in the day, so that’s the reason I’m asking about it here on this forum. Any info regarding these would be appreciated.
    Last edited by southvike; 12-09-2008 at 03:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by southvike
    I just inherited some r3 20mm hubs made by Razor Rock Racing and canít seem to find that much info on them on line, seems the company went out of business.

I know some people used them on Super 8ís (because of something to do with the spacing on the rear of the frame?) back in the day, so thatís the reason Iím asking about it here on this forum. Any info regarding these would be appreciated.
    I used to own a first generation super 8 and I ran these hubs, as well as the brake levers. Good stuff. The reason these hubsets were the thing to have for the old super 8s is that the rear swingarm was less than stiff. When you got these hubs you got the dropout kit and those dropouts combined with the 20 mm thru axle pretty much cured the rear swing arm problem. I personally had alot of issues with the rear hubs getting loose. I only lived an hour away from the factory so i was in his shop regularly. Granted I am a clyde and I dont exactly ride with finesse. regardless the stiffness it added to my rear end more than compensated for any problems with the hub I was having. Good company, they were just put under because all of the manufacturers pretty much did what they were doing and just started making Downhill bikes with their own thru axle designs, evidence the next generation super 8 that came out with their own 14mm thru axle dropouts and used Hadley hubs. Pretty much took their market away from them. Cant say I fault santacruz for wanting to do it themselves instead of having another company fix their problem.

if I remember correctly RazorRock also made kits for the old Yetis, and the Schwinn, one for Tomac bikes, and I think there may be one more mfg they produced for, but I cant remember

did you acquire the dropouts with the hubs or do you just have the hubs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The owner of Razor Rock Racing, Rob Sears, recently passed away after a battle with malignant melanoma. He was a cool guy and is missed greatly by his friends and family. I do not know what happened to the company after this.

Razor Rock made some of the first adjustable reach brake levers for Hayes brakes in the late 90's and as very nicely described above, some really cool 20mm through axle hubs and rear dropout kits for various bikes from that era. I believe the freehub design was patented and proprietary to Razor Rock. I raced on one of these 20mm rear hubs through the '99 NORBA NCS and World Cup season on a first gen SC Super 8 and it worked very well. I imagine they could still be working pretty well even now.

The brake levers were bomber and I still have a set on my old Heckler.

Good luck with the parts.