mtbr member

Racing a Superlight

I'm curious to know how many people race a Super at the expert & semi-pro level and how it performs. Also, has anyone ridden a Super and also a Titus Racer-X and could give a comparison as a race bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've ridden and raced a Superlight for the past 6 years, sport class though, not expert. I just got a Racerx. I only have three rides on the Racerx, but to tell you the truth, I can't tell any difference between the two. The handling seems just like the Superlight. The Racerx is probably stiffer in the swingarm than the older Superlight, but I can't notice any difference. They are both great bikes. I haven't ridden the new Superlight, but I would bet it is very similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrshoe
    I only have three rides on the Racerx, but to tell you the truth, I can't tell any difference between the two.
    Do you notice a difference with the horst-link on the RX? I.e. does it seem more active when braking or powering over rocks & roots?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by farmertan
    Do you notice a difference with the horst-link on the RX? I.e. does it seem more active when braking or powering over rocks & roots?
    As far as climbing I couldn't tell a difference, but there may be a very slight difference in braking over some rough loose rocks downhill. Not enough to make a difference in my opinion. The Superlight's rear tire seemed to skip a little more if that makes sense, but I may have been taking it a little easier on the Racerx since I wasn't as familar with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

RX v. older SL

They're both nice bikes, but it may depend on your size/riding style. I've ridden the older SLs (2000 model, sizes M & L) and at 175 lbs. found the rear was noticeably flexier than a 2003 RX (80mm version, size L).

I much preferred the tracking of the RX in the rear, as it seemed more solid to me. Now, this next comment is dependent on setup, but with platform shock (PUSHed Fox) on both bikes, I thought the SL bobbed a little more.

The front ends handled similarly; both were pretty quick.

As for the new SLs, I've no idea...

Members who have read this thread: 0