Thread: Racing on BLT2

mtbr member

Racing on BLT2

Am going to be doing an endurance race in early Nov and also looking to do some XC racing as well in the near future and looking for advice in regards to bike setup and suggestions on how get the most out of the bike especially on the climbs. First race is a fairly smooth track without rocky sections 11 miles and ~1700feet climbing per lap. (Chamberlin 24 hour in Santa Ynez)

Currently am running XT setup with Talas 32 Fork. Changing the fork is not really an option due to cost and will run it at 100mm. Also have new lightweight wheelset coming (ZTR Olympics with DT 240 hubs). Undecided on tires. I weigh 175 probably 185 geared up.

I am a dummy when it comes to setting up my shock and this is where I think I need the most advice. Do I run propedal on? Add more air to stiffen it up? Rebound?

Any advice is helpful..from style of riding (in or out of saddle on climbs) to anything you can think of from your experience that I will probably not think of. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Personal preference I think but SC recommends 160 psi if you have the Fox RP23 shock on the BLT2, rebound to suit your own preferences. I maintain the recommended psi so the sag stays about right. On steep climbs I turn propedal on to avoid the bobbing. I keep it off in most other cases. It's easy to flip the lever depending on the terrain. I find myself glancing down to see how much movement is going on and make on the fly adjustments. Definitely propedal off downhill. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Also, I've rarely found it necessary or desireable to get out of the saddle.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Be careful when gauging shock setup by the pressure gauge on your pump. Sometimes the gauges aren't even close to being accurate. Figure it out by sitting on the bike very lightly and playing with the pressure until the shock sags 25% into its travel (pump the shock first, sit lightly, get off without bobbing, and then measure how far the rubber ring has moved into its travel). Keep repeating (adding or removing pressure) until you get it right, then record the pressure shown on your pump gauge. I believe they recommend 1 lb pressure per pound of body weight (clothed and equipped), but its better to measure the shock travel to make sure the setting is correct.
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP
    Be careful when gauging shock setup by the pressure gauge on your pump. Sometimes the gauges aren't even close to being accurate. Figure it out by sitting on the bike very lightly and playing with the pressure until the shock sags 25% into its travel (pump the shock first, sit lightly, get off without bobbing, and then measure how far the rubber ring has moved into its travel). Keep repeating (adding or removing pressure) until you get it right, then record the pressure shown on your pump gauge. I believe they recommend 1 lb pressure per pound of body weight (clothed and equipped), but its better to measure the shock travel to make sure the setting is correct.
    25% sag for xc racing? no thanks...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What would you run?

Got A Lust for Life...
    I run SC's recommended pressure for the shock. During the shorter races, I turn the propedal on. I noticed that during the 12 hour I did yesterday that about 4 laps in(I was in a 2 person co-ed) that my back muscles in between my ribs started to really take a beating. At first I thought it was my core strength, but it turns out it was vibration induced. I turned off the propedal and it got much better as it smoothed everything out and I didn't notice a difference in pedaling.

I doubt you'll have to turn the fork down, but that is your decision.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Thanks for advice. I currently run the shock at 25% sag...and have been running the propedal on when on more smooth and flowy tracks or climbing and off when descending. Will need to pay better attention to it next time I ride to see which way feels better.

As for fork...I do find that it does make a large difference in how I climb between 100mm and 140mm. It might be due to the type of riding in San Luis Obispo which is generally up a big hill then down a big hill.

Indyfab are you using a camelback or something like that? as no spot for bottle.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Tell me about it! The lack of bottle mounts was an interesting problem for me to solve. Before this year, I didn't care about racing...at all. Anyway, the first time I raced on it was a 24 hour race with a five person team. One lap was 8 miles. I just stayed hydrated and rocked the laps without water to save time, weight and the effort in getting to it. Same with the 12 hour yesterday. Again, 8 mile loops with no water. No problems. Normal race situations I use an Ergon BD-1 pack. The thing is amazing as the weight disappears on the back. It also allow you to move naturally without the pack jostling around on the back. I love it. Even then, I try to estimate how much water to bring via temperature and what not and do not carry more than I need to keep the weight down. From the looks of it, you will probably be carrying water. Are you going solo?

I have said this about a half a dozen times and will say it a million more...I can't believe how this bike can be rocked in a race. It's kind of like cheating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfiles
    What would you run?
    15% on open for xc racing. 24 hour a dif story

mtbr member
    No will be part of a 4 man team..3 men one woman. This will be my very first bike race ever...and am looking forward to it like crazy. Could not have a better team with one of the racers a great endurance racer with incredible experience to pass on.

As for hydration...i usually use a Camelback Mule and love it. But seems awful big for this ride. Weather could also be very cold or very hot. You can get it all that time of year in the area.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mfiles
    Also, I've rarely found it necessary or desireable to get out of the saddle.
    In an XC race?! Have you ever felt the need to win?

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    No will be part of a 4 man team..3 men one woman. This will be my very first bike race ever...and am looking forward to it like crazy. Could not have a better team with one of the racers a great endurance racer with incredible experience to pass on.

As for hydration...i usually use a Camelback Mule and love it. But seems awful big for this ride. Weather could also be very cold or very hot. You can get it all that time of year in the area.
    Well then, I would say just fill it 1/4 way. Just enough for the time out there. You are going to have a good time. I was not into racing at all before this year. I don't even train. I just ride. Now I am hooked after my first 24 hour race. I am still not going to train...unless a double century is considered training...