mtbr member

Questions about new/used Tallboy LT carbon

Favorite ride for the last year and a half is a Giant Anthem X 29, gets it done especially after having the Fox fork pushed and having the travel increased to 120. Pretty stoked on this bike but size is large and I'm running lots of seat post, quite a few spacers under the stem and even with a set back seat post the saddle is back on the rails. I'm 6'2" with a 34 (pant) inseam and thought the large would work but after lots of miles in the saddle I realize that the XL is a better fit. Looking for more travel and carbon frame.

So.... Time for a new FS ride and I'm looking at replacing the Anthem with the next size up or going Tallboy LTc XL. The carbon Anthem is actually a carbon front triangle with Al rear which is not a deal breaker but the Tallboy is full carbon. Besides wanting to try something different my history is a Heckler (1995/96) that blew my mind on FS after riding hard tails early on. Still own this bike My heart is set on the Tallboy LTc and economics have me looking at used. My trails/ riding conditions is XC/trail with a preference for plush more travel but low weight and pedaling hammering proficiency...I guess what we all want I'm looking at the XTR builds but open to options.

Anyway, feedback would be appreciated on the following:

Any concerns about the linkage/bearings on a used bike that I should be aware?

Wheelset on these builds seems to be WTB, worth keeping?

Fox fork/shock is usually CTD but other options appear on used bikes, any pros/cons?

Any other advice on evaluating a used Tallboy LTc would be greatly appreciate as I am looking forward to getting back on a Santa Cruz.

P.S. demo in my area is not a realistic option, if going new I would travel before pulling trigger but I'm going on previous experience with SC and their impressive rep.

mtbr member
    Also, how is rear spacing and wheel compatibility? My favorite wheel/hub combo is Arch EX with Hope hubs and I have a couple wheel sets with cassettes and rotors that I would like to use. Are these compatible with conversion kits?

Feedback on frame size and rider size would be cool too !

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Probably more than you want o spend, but a VERY nice TB LTc showed up in the Classifieds recently. I have no connection to it.

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc BRAND NEW - XX1 - Fox - XTR - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the bearings are sensitive to being tightened correctly, but even if bad they are easy to replace. if you have reason to be concerned, disconnect one end of the shock and see how the suspension moves.

the 142x12 rear axle is standard as far as TAs go. hub conversions will depend on the specific hub.

the I23s that come on the stock build are actually really nice, more like the equivalent of a stans flow.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" with the same inseam as you and I currently ride an XL TBLTc with a 70 mm stem. Fits me perfectly.
    Like you, it took me a while to jump from L to XL but I don't regret it.

Regarding bearing, I haven't used it long enough to check them, might tell you in a while.
    As for build kit, I only bought the frame.

The tallboy is really a great bike, go for it, you won't regret it!

mtbr member
    My hubs are Hope Pro Evo II with the rear standard (135?) spacing and skewer. Are these convertible to the 142?

Thanks for that link, that build is top notch and price is good but sadly a little more than my budget . Think I know of the seller as he has a sick Colnago road bike and this is the kind of guy to buy a used bike from.

I have the luxury of time as my Anthem is a pretty good ride. This was my first 29 and like the other poster mentioned it was hard to grasp size on the bigger wheels until I had some miles. The thought of XL in a 29 after coming off a 26 was intimidating-thought with those big wheels I would have a hard time navigating single track! Surprise suprise! Anyway thanks for feedback and keep it coming

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Santacruz frames run a bit small so the XL should be the right size for you. This is my second Tallboy I have had 0 bearing issues. My LTc bearings were a little tight from the factory but easy to adjust. The bearings have a lifetime warranty from Santacruz and the frame has a 5 yr. Most hubs should be convertable to 142/12. For me the Fox 34/140 fork has been much better than the Fox 32/120. I really like my LTc and find it easy to ride on any type of trail, even great at the bike parks IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

hope pro evo

////
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    My hubs are Hope Pro Evo II with the rear standard (135?) spacing and skewer. Are these convertible to the 142?

Yes they are convertible. Just need end caps. No axle to change, very easy to do. They have them for about $30 at Jensonusa. Is your avatar you kitesurfing?

Thanks for that link, that build is top notch and price is good but sadly a little more than my budget . Think I know of the seller as he has a sick Colnago road bike and this is the kind of guy to buy a used bike from.

I have the luxury of time as my Anthem is a pretty good ride. This was my first 29 and like the other poster mentioned it was hard to grasp size on the bigger wheels until I had some miles. The thought of XL in a 29 after coming off a 26 was intimidating-thought with those big wheels I would have a hard time navigating single track! Surprise suprise! Anyway thanks for feedback and keep it coming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Probably more than you want o spend, but a VERY nice TB LTc showed up in the Classifieds recently. I have no connection to it.

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc BRAND NEW - XX1 - Fox - XTR - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    $7K and no warranty to second owner. I'll pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqmach26 View Post
    ////
    Yep that's me riding Ft. pierce inlet on a big swell last fall. Great spot for surfing and kitesurfing.