mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Question about VPP Overhaul and Lubing

Hi Guys I was looking through the overhaul thread because I developed a creak today and it might be in the VPP. I cant pinpoint the creak that developed on the ride today. It only does it when Im pedaling hard, if I just bouce on the suspension it wont do it, if i ride down the trail at a light pace pedaling lightly it wont do it, but when I take off and start pedaling hard Im getting a little tick or a click it sounds like.

At first I thought it was the shock mount bolts but I took them off and re tightened them and it wasnt that, I thought it may have been the BB so I took off the Crank and the gamut boomerang removed the cup cleaned it all up and its still doing it. Anyone have any ideas?

My questions about lubing, what parts do you lube? Is Park tools Polylube anygood? When I took everthing apart I lubed the shock mount bolts lightly, the crankshaft spindle, I took the rubber bearing cover off the BB cups cleaned those out and put a good amount of lube in there, then I lubed the face of the bearing cover.

I use the Polylube but what else is a good lube to use? I know the Pedros Synlube is supposed to be good, is there anything else from the automotive store that is just as good and probably cheaper?

TNC
    noMAD man
    On your Nomad, if indeed it's coming from the VPP, it's almost assuredly the two lower pivot axles. You pull your crankset, pull the two pivot axles, lube them with antiseize, and put it back together. Again...this is assuming your noise is coming from the VPP linkage. The upper linkage almost never makes noise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've had so many creaks, squeaks and other noises that for me, it's an ongoing experience. You gotta love that SC bike. Two places caused creaking on my BLT1 - same symptoms as yours. Once the top shock bolts were not tight in which case I got a metal tic-tic sound with every revolution of the crank, but only under load. The other times it was the lower link. Tightening everything and lubing the lower link pivot axles usually takes care of things. I replaced my lower link yesterday with the new forged one SC sells that doesn't have that eliptical opening on the bottom that lets water and grit inside the axle and housing. Just returned from a 19 mile dirt ride and not a creak anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Im heading to the store to pick-up some antiseize and Im going to redo the VPP link tonight. If I still have creaks then Im going to assume its my BB and Ill take the whole thing apart

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Be careful not to destroy the rubber seals on each of the inside of the lower link bearings if you remove/replace the link itself. If you are ljust pulling and lubing the pivot axels, no problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When I dropped the link I noticed that one of the rubber spacers was out of wack a little bit. The axels have absoutly no lube on them at all, they definitly needed this.

I took my whole BB out and cleaned it all up, is the Polylube that I have ok to use with this or should I be looking for a more heavy duty lube?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ok so I popped the rubber ring out by accident and I cant get the link back in without the rubber seal getting distorted. Do you guys have any tips on how to make it stay?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    When I dropped the link I noticed that one of the rubber spacers was out of wack a little bit. The axels have absoutly no lube on them at all, they definitly needed this.

I took my whole BB out and cleaned it all up, is the Polylube that I have ok to use with this or should I be looking for a more heavy duty lube?
    Use the same antiseize on your BB cups threaded into the frame. It's better than gease. It's not surprising that you didn't see any grease on the pivot axles. I don't know what SC does, but I've never seen any on them. I've never had that problem with the rubber covers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah the rubber cover came out and its a total PTA to get back in completely, there s a little lip that just doesn't want to sink and the link keeps moving it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Same problem experienced here. The rubber seals were all out of shape before I replaced them with new ones so in the meantime I trimmed a bit off the end and slipped it in, no problem. They seem to stretch or get bloated for some reason after being in there a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just messed around with it some more and when I was re seating the VPP linkage the Rubber cover on the other side just crumbled apart on me. When it fell out I saw it was really dry and brittle and it was missing pieces along the outer edge of the ring.

I guess its time to call SC and get a new ring. Does anyone know if you can get a ring similar or a cap for the bearing at a hardware store or if there is a work around for this instead of waiting on SC??

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Doubt it - call SC tomorrow. It's worth getting the correct seals to protect the bearings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh man....

Rebuilt the uppers, the lowers, the shock mounts, took the whole BB out, and after allllllllll of that crap it was the plastic Gamut bashgaurd on the crank. It had built some grime in between that and the chanring cauing it to creeky creek, but hey at least the bike is completely done over!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Without all that unnecessary work you never would have discovered the real problem! Hope your situation is unlike mine - creaking seems to migrate from part to part. Bike sounds great for 75 miles then it starts all over again. Geez.