mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Question about TRc 650b vs Solo

So I've searched this and the 650b forum and can't find the old threads about the converted TRcs.

Just wondering what people opinions are on this. If you were looking to build a 650B bike now, since you can't buy the Solo frame only, how different is a converted TRc? Numbers look pretty close

I was looking for the old thread to see about rear tire clearance. I actually like the TRc colors better.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008

Question about TRc 650b vs Solo

Great topic for discussion. Bump.
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    You know, it's sad that a google search works better then a forum search. Thanks for the idea on adding the forum at the end of a google search. This isn't the only forum I frequent that the search sucks.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Two Tone, I think Solo frames are becoming available now. I had a frame delivered last week and have had him built up.

I had a TRc, and I tried it with 650B for a month of riding a while back. It shows the promise of 650B, but in the end I concluded that a dedicated frame for the wheel size is still the way to go. With a converions, the BB kept on getting lifted and then with a proper fork (to fit a bigger front tyre) it was lifted again. The Tr lost some of that glamour it is famous for. It is a very special bike, one of the best berm destroying bikes around. A lot of that trait is down to the BB drop. I changed it back to 26" and relished the superior cornering power.

Months later, I have taken delivery of the Solo and I feel that my conclusions were on the right path. That new frame keeps the BB drop for the intention of the bike. Killing corners.

Those were my geo conclusions, while the TRc is a great candidate for a mod like this, in that the compromises are almost acceptable (and certainly acceptable to many who have gone down that route) - the best solution was to get a frame for the wheel size.

On top of this, what I call VPP 2.5 is a leap ahead. These bikes are noticably more efficient in the pedal department. (TB Ltc, TB2, Bronson and Solo). I managed a ride this morning and I was smiling this morning at how crisp the pedalling was. I was riding the same track on my TRc 5 days earlier - if you can do it, update to the newer platform, it is very much worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nice report.

Can you verify and post the actual BB height measurement, and also the Diameter of the stock Maxxis Tires? I am hoping that the Maxxis tires are a bit taller than say the Racing Ralph at 27.5" so that the BB will be even lower on the Solo (running a Racing Ralph tire). I too own a Brur TRC and have experimented with the 650 b conversion, only to switch back to 26" in favor of the stock BB at 12.8" and the quicker handling.

I think the improvements with the Solo geometry are due to longer wheelbase, and perhaps the correct trail/offset of the 650b specific fork, as well as the 13.1 BB height (vs. 13.4 on the converted TRC). I am not aware of a change to the VPP suspension on the Solo, however? You call it VPP2.5, is this something Santa Cruz is disclosing as being built into the Solo? Do you think VPP2.5 will be incorporated into next years TRC as well, or is it something to do with the chain growth on the bigger bikes like Solo and Tallboy due to wheelsize and wheelbase?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm in the other camp in that I want a bit taller BB since I ride east coast rocky terrain. That's one of the things I liked about the 650b TRc conversion. However, I did decide to replace it with a Solo. I think the slightly longer chainstays will help keep the front end planted on climbs (an issue I had with the TRc), and I wanted to be able to fit fatter tires on the bike. I switched the tires to 2.35 Nobby Nics, which have a lot of volume and measure about 27.9" tall, so this should help raise the BB a bit (maybe insignificant, though).

I still haven't finished my build so I can't offer any ride impressions yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I'm in the other camp in that I want a bit taller BB since I ride east coast rocky terrain. That's one of the things I liked about the 650b TRc conversion. However, I did decide to replace it with a Solo. I think the slightly longer chainstays will help keep the front end planted on climbs (an issue I had with the TRc), and I wanted to be able to fit fatter tires on the bike. I switched the tires to 2.35 Nobby Nics, which have a lot of volume and measure about 27.9" tall, so this should help raise the BB a bit (maybe insignificant, though).

Please post your impressions. Like you I'm on the East Coast so I'm not swept up in the low BB thing.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Please post your impressions. Like you I'm on the East Coast so I'm not swept up in the low BB thing.
    Okay, will do.

I have a TBc, which has been my main trail bike for the past 2 years, so I've gotten used to the low BB. I do notice more pedal strikes than on my hardtail, though. The TRc with 26" wheels seemed to be even worse than the TBc as far as pedal strikes, and I noticed more bash ring hits going over obstacles. I think the increased suspension sag made the BB effectively lower while riding. The TRc with 650b wheels had fewer pedal strikes, fewer bash ring hits, and I didn't notice any decrease in its ability to rail turns, so there seemed to be no drawbacks to the conversion for me. I'm hoping the Solo will be even better. I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Okay, will do.

I have a TBc, which has been my main trail bike for the past 2 years, so I've gotten used to the low BB. I do notice more pedal strikes than on my hardtail, though. The TRc with 26" wheels seemed to be even worse than the TBc as far as pedal strikes, and I noticed more bash ring hits going over obstacles. I think the increased suspension sag made the BB effectively lower while riding. The TRc with 650b wheels had fewer pedal strikes, fewer bash ring hits, and I didn't notice any decrease in its ability to rail turns, so there seemed to be no drawbacks to the conversion for me. I'm hoping the Solo will be even better. I'll let you know.
    Really interesting since I'm on a TBc currently thinking of going back to 650B.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

In response to my question above, when you get a chance can you measure your Solo BB height with the 27.9 diameter Nobby Nics? Would be helpful also if you can measure the ground to center of axle with these tires, as well as BB height.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    In response to my question above, when you get a chance can you measure your Solo BB height with the 27.9 diameter Nobby Nics? Would be helpful also if you can measure the ground to center of axle with these tires, as well as BB height.
    Thanks!
    I measured the BB height as 13.2".

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    BB Height:

I plan to run my Solo w/ Racing Ralphs 27.5 x 2.2. According to my measurements, the tires measure 27.75 in diameter (to top of knobs). Jabrabu, since you measured your Solo BB at 13.2 w/ Nobby Nicks measuring 27.9 in diameter, this means my Solo, when equipped with the RR tires will be 13.2" - 27.9-27.75"= 13.05". If accurate, this will be perfect, as I prefer a lower BB (even as low as 12.8"). Jabrabu, if not too much trouble could you double check the 13.2 BB measurement and also provide the height of the centerline axles above the ground (should be 1/2 the reported tire diameter). Thanks!