mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Question about Blur LT2 Kit?

Just bought a Blur LT2 with R am kit from LBS and noticed when I got home that instead of the Fox RP23 shock I have the Fox Float R I also noticed I have a Cane Creek headset vs. the Dia Compe HS0218, everything else on the bike matches the R am kit. My question is should I mention this to my lbs seems the Float R is a downgrade (for lack of better word) and the Cane Creek an upgrade? And was there any changes made to the LT from 08 to 09 component wise other than the SLX derailuer? or has anyone else noticed any discrepincies as well? This my first Santa Cruz and was needing a little help from some Santa Cruz vets before sticking my foot in my mouth at the LBS. Thanks!

mtbr member
    This is not isolated to you unfortunately. I bought the SPX XC kit and it did not come with the Talas 32 fork which was one of the main reasons I got that kit in the first place SPX XC had Talas 32 when i ordered it). My LBS though switched it out with no problem. Now however the SPX XC kit has the float and not the Talas.

The Santa Cruz web site does say that the kits are subject to change without notice but there is a big difference in the RP23 and the Float R. I would definitely ask LBS to correct the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Me too. I ordered the R-AM and didn't get the float 32, but got a revelation. I gladly passed this on to the shop as I have my own fork already.

It came with the RP23 instead of the RP3 that I was quoted. Seems like SC changes parts all the time, as I was told by my dealer. Lucky for me, I got the best of this with my part list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the replies so far will contact LBS and see what we can agree on, I guess the one thing I forgot to mention is the quote, the quote on Santacruz wedsite for R am kit is 3099 w/ RP 23 shock the quote at LBS for same kit but without RP 23 was the same 3099 I would understand difference if I would've been quoted a better price than listed for a downgrade in shock, but the same quote with Float R shock kinda makes me wonder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Some stores/chains/retailers have their own kit set-up

I read the thread and have had similar situations occur on other brands...more recently a Scott Spark, ordered a 20...was delivered with a 20/30 blend...and shop popped all 20 upgrades back on. I recently ordered my SC Blur LT2 from Colorado Cyclist as they have their own kits that match-up well with SC standard groups (and some that SC doesn't spec...ala XO) with some upgrades where it counts and a few downgrades where it doesn't matter.
    On the LBS scene, they have a tendency to tweak them sometimes for a few margin $. If you have ordered a spec per an SC catalog, which your LBS will certainly have ordered from.....have them belly up to the bar and match it spec for spec. If you ordered late in the model year, the changes may be a result of no stock on that spec part and a quick sub with 08...and an avoidance of 09 pricing kicks. But the difference in a Float R vs RP23 is approx $130+ but the adjustability and lack of Pro-pedal is a major loss.
    If your LBS is reputable....they will come through. Enjoy the LT2...it's the finest MTB I've ever ridden. Instead of having both an XC and AM rig, I blended them into this one bike...I give up a bit on weight in the climb, but gain it back on the technical descent.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think it should be exact components otherwise they need to advise you. I bought the X9AM and had the LBS confirm all the parts were exactly as SC's site indicated. He confirmed and I pick it up on the 9th of October.. Boing!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Alright I talked with lbs and as soon as I told the owner what the problem was we both went to the SC wedsite and the bike builder section list a RP23 shock on the R am kit but when you view the pricing section the shock listed on the R am kit is the Float R so it was a discrepincy on the part of SC website. The owner said they had the same problem and called SC when the bike came in the shop and she called SC, so that's how she knew right off hand what the problem was. Looks like SC would update site if they know it a problem, will try and get the upgrade though lbs said they would do it for $100 and from what everyone says it will be well worth it. The bad news is I haven't even had a chance to ride my bike I have had it for 3 days and it's been raining ever since! Crappy! Thanks for the help i'm sure i'll have an ear to ear tomorrow on my first ride.