mtbr member

New question here. Query for Superlight Owners

Just purchased a new Superlight '08 and I wondered if any other Superlight owners could help me with a query regarding tire and seattube clearance as I've noticed if I were to bottom out the shock the tire would hit the seattube.

Being new to Superlights I wondered if this was normal and wondered if other owners would/have experienced the same thing?

As a test I let the air out of the shock and measured the travel of the shock (RP23) which was about 48mm but the tire would hit the seattube when the travel reached about 44mm.

I've checked the shock is the right length and correct stroke plus I've put a slightly lower-profile tire on the back. Don't know if it makes a difference but its a medium.

Thanks

mtbr member
    What kind of tire?

I've never tried this test myself. I was running 2.3's last winter though, and never had any rubbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Do
    What kind of tire?
    Initially a Kenda Cortez 2.2 tire which was quite tall of the rim but then switched to a Bontrager Mud-X 2.1. The height of the Mud-X from the rim is about 45mm.

Always knew that the choice of tire based on width may be restrictive on the Superlight but never considered that height of tire could be problem!

Doesn't make sense to me that the frame would be designed so that the tire could hit the seattube before the shock bottoms out so I'm just trying to figure if it is 'normal'. From searching the web, I can't seem to find anybody else who has experienced the problem so I'm wondering if its my frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's pics of my 2007 Superlight medium at full travel. I've got a 2.1 Panaracer Trailblaster on the back, not a real tall tire, but I've got a good 1/2" between the knobs and the seattube. And the shock O ring shows 2" of travel (50.8mm). The tire reads 1 3/4" from where it seats in the rim to the top of its knobs.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

kerryjchinn
    Hmm, same here (as shown in the pic above). I've got an '07 Large SL and have plenty of rear tire clearance remaining when the rear shock is fully compressed. I run Kenda Nevegals 2.1 DTC.
    Last edited by kerryjchinn; 08-18-2008 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I havent had any problems on my 08...Ive had a few tires back there (Panaracer Smoke 2.1 which i hated, Conti XC Hard Terrain 2.1, also hated and came on the bike, currently IRC Freedomcross Backcountry 2.25) and no issues