bike rider

Pushed DHX on '08 V10?

Anyone Pushed the DHX that came on your 2008 V10? Curious for a before and after report.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    What issues are you currently experiencing with your DHX on your bike? Are you finding that the factory adjustments are putting limitations on the shock and your riding? What adjustments in particular are causing you to be dissatisfied? And in which riding situations? What aspects of your suspension do you wish were different?

Most people can't answer these questions, and probably haven't completely explored (or properly adjusted) their stock shock. I'd evaluate your personal needs before spending that sort of money. I would go into this with as much knowledge as possible; because If you don't know what you need now, you wont know what changed later, but your wallets lighter so you believe you feel a difference. This is the case with the majority of people I know who sent their shock to push, but didn't even properly set their sag and rebound before doing so. Pinpoint your own needs first before listening to someone on the internet about their custom tuning experience. They just might be one of those people.

bike rider
    I'm asking because the '08 V10 w/DHX rides amazing. My adjustments are just a touch away from SC's recommendations and this bike does everything almost perfectly. Notice I say ALMOST. No suspension is perfect and everything could use improvement. As good as it is over medium sharp edged hits I'd like it be even plusher. I may not send my shock in until it has two years on it and needs fresh oil but I'm curious for feedback on this exact combo.

P.S. Pushing the RP3 on my 575 made it noticably plusher and with firmer PP settings.

mtbr member
    PUSH did one on my M3 after I blew it out. The biggest difference you'll notice is that it nearly eliminates any dive and braking bump issues which has been a problem on all VPP designs. Also rebound settings aren't nearly as critical as the shock is more speed sensitive, IOW a given rebound will work well for both big slow drops and fast chatter bumps (eliminates the need for high and low speed rebound adjustments which the shock lacks anyway; before it was always a compromise). Make sure you use their recommended settings or very close to them; they know what they're doing.

Have FUN!

G "who does understand how to set my sag, LOL" MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 10-07-2008 at 04:17 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

We need more wax
    I PUSHed my DHX 5.0 on my VP Free. The shock that came with the bike was not working properly. I heard/felt a clunk on even small jumps. Since I was going to Whistler for 6 weeks I decided to get a new shock and PUSH the old one. Once I got the PUSHed one back I put that on. I was assuming/hoping the bike would ride completely different. It did not. One of my buddy's take is that if the standard FOX valving is close to optimum you probably won't notice much of a difference. The PUSH setup instructions was a little different. 130 psi instead of 150 in the boost chamber for instance. Bottom line is if your current ride is "amazing" I doubt you will notice much difference with PUSH.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have run the Push'd DHX on both my Nomad and VP Free, on the Nomad it made a huge difference, feels plusher and much more responsive. On the Free i ran a shorter shock so its hard to compare like for like, but my over all impression is fantastic, maybe its just the custom tune that makes the difference, and if I/ we knew how to get the best from the stock shocks maybe we would be happy

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I pushed my VP-free DHX 5 coil as i felt the shock was blowing through the mid stroke, after being pushed it rides much better BUT if you arent having any problems like this i wouldnt bother. CCDB would be a far better investment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The push treatment made a huge differece on both my free and heckler. I don't see how you couln't notice a significant difference based on my experience. I do think it depends on your riding style and terrain. My riding is very agressive and our terrain shows any weakness in suspension setup real fast. A few seasons ago I may not have noticed but the faster I ride the more difference setup makes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    I'm asking because the '08 V10 w/DHX rides amazing. My adjustments are just a touch away from SC's recommendations and this bike does everything almost perfectly. Notice I say ALMOST. No suspension is perfect and everything could use improvement. As good as it is over medium sharp edged hits I'd like it be even plusher. I may not send my shock in until it has two years on it and needs fresh oil but I'm curious for feedback on this exact combo.

P.S. Pushing the RP3 on my 575 made it noticably plusher and with firmer PP settings.
    Try running a heaver spring say from 450 to 500 and run a little more bottom out so the shock still blows through its travel . That will make the rear end plusher . I am really liking the fox on my 08 v10 . I put a ti spring on and the shock action feels a little smother as well .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There's a big difference in spending $180 to get your DHX custom tuned and spending $800 on a Cane Creek.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidefx
    Try running a heaver spring say from 450 to 500 and run a little more bottom out so the shock still blows through its travel . That will make the rear end plusher . I am really liking the fox on my 08 v10 . I put a ti spring on and the shock action feels a little smother as well .
    Spring rate does nothing but determine sag. He shouldn't change it to a firmer coil if he's achieving the correct percentage (40%). In addition, increasing bottom out will not make his rear end "plusher," on the contrary it'll cause his rear end to snag even more on medium hits. Lastly, Ti springs do not feel different than coil springs. Sorry, I had to intervien before the user considered this advice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    Spring rate does nothing but determine sag. He shouldn't change it to a firmer coil if he's achieving the correct percentage (40%). In addition, increasing bottom out will not make his rear end "plusher," on the contrary it'll cause his rear end to snag even more on medium hits. Lastly, Ti springs do not feel different than coil springs. Sorry, I had to intervien before the user considered this advice.
    Spring rate doesn't just determine the sag of the rear shock the length of the shock also comes into play . For arguments sake you could run a 17 cm 600x2.8 spring wound out and a 14-cm 450x2.8 spring wound in on your rear shock and with the barrel adjuster still make a desired sag . The spring rate determines the force that is needed to move the spring up and down i.e. < 450 pounds > per <2.8 inches > . The bottom out resister is in effect one dampener along with pro peddle , rebound control and air volume and controls the energy expelled buy the spring , otherwise the spring would be just that a spring ! With the amount of adjustabilaty on the dhx and having ridden one and knowing that the dhx rear blows through its travel very quickly, which intern gives it a great active feel . Why wouldn't a heaver spring < using the barrel adjustment to gain desired sag> and less bottom out, or no bottom out resistance and other dampener adjustments equal a plusher rear end ? It would make the ride firmer ,plush but still supple and active . The other comment in regards to steel / ti springs is a strange one . The rear wheel fed back is far softer on the ti than the steel spring and the shock action also feels far smother and supple .Lastly just one more question why would he want to run <40%> sag on a 08 v10 ? It goes against the frames new design . The high speed stability is far greater on the new frame as the 08 is re designed and slightly longer than the phase 2 . Running 40% sag rate would have an ill effect on the bikes tight cornering ability . The 08 doesn`t run static sag as the 05/06/07 models .
    Last edited by Sidefx; 10-23-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    The 40% was a freudian slip on my part, the new V10 calls for 30%.

You only have two rotations of the preload collar ("barrell adjuster") before running into coil-bind. If he's achieving the proper sag with the correct spring and preload, then why would he want to decrease sag and ultimately traction by going to a firmer rate? If your drastically dialing in your preload collar to achieve sag, then you have the wrong spring.

and less bottom out, or no bottom out resistance and other dampener adjustments equal a plusher rear end. It would make the ride firmer ,plush but still supple and active
    This is exactly what I said in my post. In your first post, you suggested the user increase his bottom out adjustment to help with medium bump compliance. Increasing bottom out will only stiffen the second half of his travel, causing it to catch and kick up, rather than cycle thru its travel. Your second post says the opposite, which is what I recommended.

Ti springs and steel springs feel the same. I've owned many of each. The majority agree that there's no difference. Usually its the wallet talking when people say they feel different. Trust me, I feel as guilty after springing 200$ on them too. (no pun intended )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    The 40% was a freudian slip on my part, the new V10 calls for 30%.

You only have two rotations of the preload collar ("barrell adjuster") before running into coil-bind. If he's achieving the proper sag with the correct spring and preload, then why would he want to decrease sag and ultimately traction by going to a firmer rate? If your drastically dialing in your preload collar to achieve sag, then you have the wrong spring.

This is exactly what I said in my post. In your first post, you suggested the user increase his bottom out adjustment to help with medium bump compliance. Increasing bottom out will only stiffen the second half of his travel, causing it to catch and kick up, rather than cycle thru its travel. Your second post says the opposite, which is what I recommended.

Ti springs and steel springs feel the same. I've owned many of each. The majority agree that there's no difference. Usually its the wallet talking when people say they feel different. Trust me, I feel as guilty after springing 200$ on them too. (no pun intended )
    I agree with most of what you've said, except that the spring rating only determines sag. It also determines how big a hit the suspension can take given all other things being equal.

bike rider
    I'm already running a 500lb Ti spring. I just increased the Boost Valve volume half a turn to try to make it plusher on the sharp edges and cuz I was rarely getting full travel.