Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Fat Guy Riding

PUSH linkage for Nomad 2 and Butcher

Looks like they've broken cover with the linkages they teased at Interbike.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...8.184214282102

Now we wait for more info on what they're changing, why and what we can expect from the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

Trail Junkie
    I think they cracked VPP, I read somewhere that for many years, they were not very enthusiastic about VPP. Maybe through redesigning the upper link, they were able to alter or "neutralize" the shock rate to something allowed them to customize and modify characteristics to their liking.

From my understanding, Push has really been concentrating on the Nomad Carbon, and maybe took the approach differently and the key was in the upper linkage. I am intrested to see how their links and custom shocks will change the riding characteristic for VPP bikes.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    That link on the butcher definitely looks longer than the stock one.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Very interesting indeed...
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Looks like they increased the nomad's travel, since the shock bolt distance appears longer. Look at the lower shock bolt - it is much closer to the rear triangle than stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo12
    Looks like they increased the nomad's travel, since the shock bolt distance appears longer. Look at the lower shock bolt - it is much closer to the rear triangle than stock.
    no it's the same travel from what I hear

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that for many years, they were not very enthusiastic about VPP
    Not true. We're big fans of SantaCruz bikes and VPP and have been riding them for years.

Darren

mtbr member
    I've been bursting at the seams not saying anything about this when Mr. Murphy mentioned them to me.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dear Darren

Have my ****ing babies you brilliant mad scientist.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey Darren,

Thanks again for your help with my Monarch...quick ride around the parking lot and it seems sweet...cant wait for my days off this week!!!

Todd

ps...if you ever re-do a link on the MK1 Nomad Ill probably just buy it for fun...awesome!

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    So, functionally, what do the links change? Longer stroke shock and lower leverage rate? Different leverage rate curve?

Trail Junkie
    Depending on where the shock mount in degrees and distance/length in relation to where the seatstays attach to the link can change the leverage rate like you said, but also the shock rate (speed it up or slow it down); the amount of travel; the shock curve in general..really it can change the way the bike rides as a whole.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    Depending on where the shock mount in degrees and distance/length in relation to where the seatstays attach to the link can change the leverage rate like you said, but also the shock rate (speed it up or slow it down); the amount of travel; the shock curve in general..really it can change the way the bike rides as a whole.
    I'm fully aware of what is possible by changing the links, I'm just wondering what they specifically modified.

Trail Junkie
    Only ones that probably know is Push Ind. My guess is they hold a mini electric motor like the one Fabian Cancellara is rumored to have..or maybe a cute little bunny that get the chicks 60% of the time every time...but then again, I am the worst guesser in the world.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Only ones that probably know is Push Ind. My guess is they hold a mini electric motor like the one Fabian Cancellara is rumored to have..or maybe a cute little bunny that get the chicks 60% of the time every time...but then again, I am the worst guesser in the world.
    I heard they brew coffee for you pre-ride, and then a nice cold beer post-ride.

Darren

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'd settle for an extra inch of BB height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Push linkage for Nomad.

Let me google that for you.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...am0K-eHVdkH76A

“It's Elementary, My Dear Watson”.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    I'd settle for an extra inch of BB height.
    I'd settle for a quarter inch less BB height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    I'd settle for a quarter inch less BB height.
    Same here. You can have your 15" BB height

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Really? I'm smacking pedals all the time. I must be running too much sag, or it's a geographic thing.

mtbr member
    Really? I'm smacking pedals all the time. I must be running too much sag, or it's a geographic thing.
    I hit my pedals from time to time, but not all that often - 2x a ride? 3x? All the time, IMO, is 40x or something like that in 2 hours.

Personally, with stock linkage, I feel like the Nomad needs less than 30% sag. Somewhere between 25 to 30 for AM riding. Just seems like if you run less it gets wallowy and if you run more it's way too tight riding. 27%ish seems to hit the suspension curve just right (for me, on my trails) for my usual 2400 ft of climb and descent.

I can see how if you ran 30+% how it would wallow around in the mid and deeper parts of the travel and you would end up with a lot of pedal strikes.

Which leads us to the Push linkage. The stock shock rate looks like an upside-down U-shape to play nicely with air shocks, and in my opinion, especially with the DHX air. I have no idea what the Push shock rate looks like but I'm gonna guess it's not an upside down U-shape.
    "It looks flexy"

Trail Junkie
    I've been riding mtb since around '95..not to say I know anything at all, but I really am not understanding this complaint. Are people actually smacking their pedals on the ground or is it just hitting pedals on rocks or tight technical sections where its either pedal, tap and maintain momentum, or plane out the pedals and loose momentum and maybe not clear the section?

The only time I ever had problems with pedal smacks excluding dealing with technical terrain is when I used big platform pedals, and occassionally smacked one while leaning...but through improving my riding technique, its second nature to have the inside pedal (while turning) at the 12 o'clock position, and the outside pedal at the 6 o'clock, and I only ride clipless now..don't feel secure on the bike w/o it.

Trying to figure out what all these BB height/ pedal tap relationship is.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    Same here. You can have your 15" BB height
    My VP-Free had 15 1/2" BB height, felt like I was on top of a step ladder! When I got my new Nomad, I think I hit every rock in the state, now that I am used to it, the lower BB just rocks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hmmm.

Will have to see how this all unfolds

PS would like the slight drop in bb height.

mtbr member
    I have heard more travel but less plush.
    This is just hearsay. Darren will clear it up shortly.

Maybe.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast