Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    holding back the darkness

PUSH Industries Elevensix: Review

I've had a chance to ride my new PUSH Elevensix. I've put it through the paces. I've thrown Colorado's Front Range, Moab's Captain Ahab, and some Flow trails in Salt Lake City at it and it devoured them all. I climbed fire roads, singletracks, and chundery rock garden. I think I have run this shock through the spectrum of the types of riding that I do.
    My verdict? It's un-f*ing-believeable.
    I mean that literally. It is such a contradictory piece of equipment, solving so many seemingly mutually exclusive problems that it is hard to believe that it's this good.
    But it is.
    I have a more comprehensive review of this shock due to come out this Thursday over at themtblife.com, but I'll give you guys the quick and dirty preview now.

This shock absolutely rips. It slays. It transforms this bike into the bike that I thought it was going to be when I bought it. This shock fulfills the promise of what the Nomad can be.
    Let me explain:
    Small BumpsThe shock is ridiculously sensitive. Small bump performance is everything you'd expect from a coil spring- and then some. It must be their coatings or bushings or some form of black magic, but I swear this shock will initiate it's movement when breathed on. A heavy sigh will compress it. High-freq stutter bumps (braking bumps, chatter, and small-size trail marbles) are easily vanquished.

Big HItsOn bigger hits this rig totally shines. The faster you go, the harder you push, the better this shock performs. When landing, the rear wheel just comes down gently and sticks to the ground. The bike just recovers so much more quickly than before. So as the bike is attacking hits of various size and speed it is more “ready” to take the subsequent hit faster. Imagine being able to take back all the fractional seconds from the time your bike hits something to the time you regain full control of it. You spend less time fighting your bike and more time controlling it.

Set UpThe shock comes with a card from PUSH that outlines their recommended settings on one side and explains the basic functions of the knobs on the other. I asked for a “climb” mode and a “descend” mode. The control you get back on the descents is really incredible, but I think the way it performs while climbing is equally stellar.
    By dialing the small blue dial on the “climb” valve all the way clockwise the shock is almost immune to pedal input, good for sustained fireroads and long hauls. But more significantly, by backing the blue dial out click by click you can incrementally dial up the amount of traction when the going gets chundery, loose, or technical. About 4 clicks out and this bike is a traction monster. But because I can dial it to where I want it I can avoid the suspension “stalling” out against obstacles while climbing.

Headed for a flow trail with manicured transitions and sterile of rocks? Dial the gray High Speed Compression knob to tune on the fly. Losing traction in the corners over wicked bracking bumps? A couple clicks of the blue LSC knob will solve that.. and since the shock is preconfigured for you and for your bike the range of adjustment is applicable. You're not going to get lost in these settings.

I launched this bike with the Elevensix at everything I could on Captain Ahab. I hit every single drop on the line. I manualled around and aimed the rear wheel at squared-off rocks. It ate everything. I wasn't able to overwhelm it. I never felt a harsh bottom-out and I never felt like I was sacrificing small bump compliance to get the bottom-out resistance necessary to protect the bike.

This is a no-compromise, do-everything kind of shock. It fixed everything I hated about my Monarch but accepted because I loved the Nomad. My Nomad with the Elevensix is the bike I dreamed it would be. And more.

For me, this complete transformation of my Nomad easily justifies the price. Yes, it's expensive, but it's also the most significant performance upgrade available IMHO. It's really that good. Your bike deserves this shock
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Sounds amazing. Might want to mention the $1200 price! I've nothing against Push...had a shock and a fork Pushed. But this shock is not exactly priced for the everyman, no matter how good it is.

mtbr member
    I hate that I just read your Q&D review...but am sooo looking forward to your review @ TheMTBLife.com

-R.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Looking forward to your detailed review. About how many miles/hours do you have on it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    $1200 and no remote levers, not even an option. When will we get a rear shock with remote option to tie in with our front. Bikes are able to do everything now with one bike but still having to fiddle with finding your climb switch can be annoying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonomand View Post
    $1200 and no remote levers, not even an option. When will we get a rear shock with remote option to tie in with our front. Bikes are able to do everything now with one bike but still having to fiddle with finding your climb switch can be annoying.
    I don't want more crap on my bars! A shifter, brake levers and a reverb remote is plenty for me thanks.

V-Shaped Rut
    Jesus H, $1200 shock? Sounds like your experience is all favorable, but it ought to be at that price point. That's approaching the price of an ohlins moto shock, lol!

rollin
    I bet this shock performs great! Sounds like an amazing upgrade.

I did the ghetto shock upgrade for my Nickel: New Old Stock $150 2014 Roco coil off ebay, added RCS Ti Spring and needle bearings. Butter!

Coil performs so much better than air. I wonder how much better the Push coil shock performs than other coil shocks?

mtbr member
    I'm sure it's good, but have to be a little sceptical as of course you're going to say it's incredible - you just spent $1200 so anything less and you'd be admitting you got ripped off big time. Have you tried any other coils to compare it to?

I think PUSH should rent one of these out at $150 for a week. Try before you buy, and get a $150 credit if you do buy it. They could easily make more than the $1200 off that one demo shock, and if it really is that good, then a lot more people would be willing to stump up the $1200.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    I'm sure it's good, but have to be a little sceptical as of course you're going to say it's incredible - you just spent $1200 so anything less and you'd be admitting you got ripped off big time. Have you tried any other coils to compare it to?

I think PUSH should rent one of these out at $150 for a week. Try before you buy, and get a $150 credit if you do buy it. They could easily make more than the $1200 off that one demo shock, and if it really is that good, then a lot more people would be willing to stump up the $1200.
    A local shop here in MN does that with CCDB shocks. Rent and if you decide to buy, the rent fee gets put towards the purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Sounds amazing. Might want to mention the $1200 price! I've nothing against Push...had a shock and a fork Pushed. But this shock is not exactly priced for the everyman, no matter how good it is.
    You are right. It is definitely a premium product. For me it was worth it to get my Nomad to ride the way it does now. Not everyone is going to shell out $1200 for a premium shock the same way not everyone is going to drop $2k+ for a set of carbon wheels. But for me, I really wanted my bike to perform a specific way that wasn't possible with the other shocks on the market. The Elevensix is a universal shock for the range of riding that I do. I've done the math elsewhere and it was cheaper than buying multiple shocks for specific applications (enduro, DH, all-mountain) and less hassle than changing it all the time. For me, the performance with zero compromise was totally worth the cash.
    **** censorship

Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post

I actually rode it back to back on the same shuttled trail versus a Cane Creek Double Barrel. The CCDB was good, really good actually and I had considered a CCDB with a ti coil, and a CCDB Air but the Elevensix was head and shoulders better. Both felt plush but plushness and performance are not the same. The Elevensix feels controlled. Almost dead. It nit only eats bumps it settles the bike and makes it ready to hit the next one sooner. And it climbs. Not just acceptably climbs but climbs better than my Monarch. The ability to dial adjust traction blows me away.

And yeah... I wish it were cheaper. I would prefer to pay less money for everything I buy. But everything in this sport costs. My Nomad was somewhere in the $8k range. Which hurt. I wish that Ferraris and mansions and supermodels were cheaper 'cause I'd be all about those too. I've played the upgrade game. I could spend more money swapping in less expensive shocks and waste two years trying to get it all right. I bought the one shock that meets my needs and comes with decades of suspension expertise at my disposal a phone call away. I've had this shock a couple weeks, I'm all dialed in and ready to rip. My time is worth more to me. That won't be the case for everyone and that's cool.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    So how much ride time do you have on the Elevensix and did you have on the Monarch?

Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    So how much ride time do you have on the Elevensix and did you have on the Monarch?
    Had the Elevensix for a couple weeks now with probably 25hrs total on it. Had the Monarch since last July.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver View Post
    I actually rode it back to back on the same shuttled trail versus a Cane Creek Double Barrel. The CCDB was good, really good actually and I had considered a CCDB with a ti coil, and a CCDB Air but the Elevensix was head and shoulders better. Both felt plush but plushness and performance are not the same. The Elevensix feels controlled. Almost dead. It nit only eats bumps it settles the bike and makes it ready to hit the next one sooner. And it climbs. Not just acceptably climbs but climbs better than my Monarch. The ability to dial adjust traction blows me away.
    It does sound good!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonomand View Post
    I could be wrong, but I was once told that Scott owns a patent on their TwinLoc lever system which adjusts both front and rear at the same time. As such, other manufacturers can't produce it, or have to license it. If you really need it, you might have to buy a Scott.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver View Post
    I could be wrong, but I was once told that Scott owns a patent on their TwinLoc lever system which adjusts both front and rear at the same time. As such, other manufacturers can't produce it, or have to license it. If you really need it, you might have to buy a Scott.
    Yeah, it would just be awesome if we could get it as an option on certain combos for suspension. Not everyone wants it but some do, and it should be an easy swap.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in on this one, & fully agree with subliminalshiver's review. While I'm not on a Santa Cruz, I got one for my Niner WFO, and what a change! I tested it back to back with a Monarch Debonair, which is a great shock, and I had zero complaints about it, but the ElevenSix is on a whole other level. Like the OP, I too got to ride it a bunch the last two weeks, starting in Fruita, then SoCal trails, some St George chunk & back to Fruita (road trip). And to quote the OP "The Elevensix feels controlled. Almost dead. It not only eats bumps, but it settles the bike and makes it ready to hit the next one sooner." I am sold on this shock, even at $1200.00. This shock is not for everyone, obviously, but for someone who wants to squeeze out as much performance as possible out of their bike & make it the fastest, best handling rig it can be. One thing nobody really hits upon when complaining about price, is that, for a measly $1,000.00+ you can purchase a Fox 36 fork, produced by the thousands, specially tuned for....uh, thousands...you get my point. I will be giving my review on the Niner board shortly.
    Cheers!

Here's the direct link to the review @ themtblife.com. Cheers!
    Review: PUSH Industries Elevensix | The Mountain Bike Life
    **** censorship

Outcast
    Regarding the price of the Elevensix; I have several shocks for my two FS bikes. For my El Guapo, I have an Avalanche Woodie, a CCDB-A CS, and an Avalanche modified DHX-air, and I do switch them out based on the plan of the ride. When I add up what I spent to purchase these shocks....it's more than the price of an Elevensix. Now granted, I bought the shocks over time, so the impact to my wallet was spread out. If the Elevensix is the holy grail, and can fill the role of three shocks in one, then to me, the price becomes feasible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    If the Elevensix is the holy grail, and can fill the role of three shocks in one, then to me, the price becomes feasible.
    Completely agree. Problem is it's an expensive leap of faith.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The monarch is ordinary on the Nomad. I swapped out to a BOS Kirk
    I love the idea and concept of the the elevensix but Im worried that the perf improvement over my setup will not justify the cost. For me I'd love to hear more feedback from guys running this compared to shocks other than the Monarch

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Completely agree. Problem is it's an expensive leap of faith.
    Yes, a big leap of faith. I didn't mention the three shocks I had on the bike prior to the three I have kept. The OE monarch RT3, a monarch plus, and a vivid air. So a total of six shocks, looking for the holy grail. So why would I assume that the elevensix is the one?

I don't assume so. Maybe I'll hold out for the next model year, after it's been thoroughly ridden and reviewed, and maybe it gets revised to look a little better too!

rollin
    What material is the spring on the elevensix?

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    What material is the spring on the elevensix?
    From the website:
    "Exclusive HyperCo Ultra Light Suspension Spring available in 25lb/in increments. Made from High Tensile spring alloy and featuring Optimum Body Diameter technology eliminating spring deflection and body wear"
    **** censorship

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast