mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Problem with updated link on LT1

I changed the link about a month ago, after a week riding in wet Wales, there was some clicking when peddling, the usual thing. Ive regreased the pivots before, so did the same and reinstalled the shafts, then tightened the bolts on the bottom first. I gave the link a little wiggle and it felt notchy, almost indexing, i unbolted and removed the shaft and checked for any damage, nothing, so tried again, same problem. Did the top pivots up and got the exactly the same notchy feeling. I undid the bolts until the link moved smoothly, checked there wasnt any play and went riding. After about half riding my bike sounded like an old steam engine popping and cracking. No doubt the pivot bolts are in need of a bit more tightening but not sure what or why the notchy feelings happening. The old link moved smoothly. Has any one experianced this or have i installed this new link wrong?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G
    I changed the link about a month ago, after a week riding in wet Wales, there was some clicking when peddling, the usual thing. Ive regreased the pivots before, so did the same and reinstalled the shafts, then tightened the bolts on the bottom first. I gave the link a little wiggle and it felt notchy, almost indexing, i unbolted and removed the shaft and checked for any damage, nothing, so tried again, same problem. Did the top pivots up and got the exactly the same notchy feeling. I undid the bolts until the link moved smoothly, checked there wasnt any play and went riding. After about half riding my bike sounded like an old steam engine popping and cracking. No doubt the pivot bolts are in need of a bit more tightening but not sure what or why the notchy feelings happening. The old link moved smoothly. Has any one experianced this or have i installed this new link wrong?
    Installed wrong. The bearings have to be centered or the new link will rub and give that notchy feel. Did you use the bearing centering tool provided in SC's press kit?
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes i do have the tool, the bearings were replaced about 9 months ago and the old link worked smoothly.