Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FishZapper

Post your TRAIL bullits...

Id REALLY like to see some pics of people whose bullits are set up for trail riding. ie. dual rings at least, no Monster Ts or Shivers, but just good old fashioned trail bikes. How much does yours weigh?

Im really looking for some options to save weight, yet maintain strength.

Here's mine.
    Ive since swapped to sram shifters and mechs and also Hone cranks.

I have no idea what it weighs.

mtbr member
    Here's my old one. Have since swapped to a Heckler.

Wheels are a good place to look to save weight, and maybe an air shock, but it'll always be a compromise between weight & strength unless you're willing to spend a big chunk of money.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My SC Bullit . Use it for trailriding, NS, some light DH and street/dirt-riding.
    Love this bike. It's just awesome!

Set up: Medium transred Bullit frame, Marzocchi Z150 fork, Kenda Nevegal 2,5"tires (awesome),
    Raceface-bar and seatpost. Honecranks with Blackspire bash and chainrings. SRAM triggers with XTR derailleurs.

Plan new rear wheel (sun ringle abbah/mtx) and new lock-on grips (Yeti hardcore)

Cheesiest
    I'm in the process of getting mine together. When it's finished, I'll throw up some pics.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTreadOnMe
    Id REALLY like to see some pics of people whose bullits are set up for trail riding. ie. dual rings at least, no Monster Ts or Shivers, but just good old fashioned trail bikes. How much does yours weigh?

Im really looking for some options to save weight, yet maintain strength.

Here's mine.
    Ive since swapped to sram shifters and mechs and also Hone cranks.

I have no idea what it weighs.
    lighter post/seat/stem/bar. that would likely be the easiest/cheapest.

what are you running for wheels? could save a bit there, most likely.

air shock or ti spring, but those are spendy options. though if you go for an air shock, sell the coil setup to help pay for it.

go to a lighter cassette when the current one dies (or get an alu lockring to replace the steel stock on)

sell off the old stuff to help offset the cost.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I' ve no idea how much it weights. To make my ride more challenging I've changed my double ring to e-13 STS with 34T and Fox 36 on the picture has been swaped with 888, yet I still use it as a trail bike :-)

serhij

Cheesiest
    Just took my new Bullit on a quick trail ride. The high seat is offensive to the freerider in me, but it sure does pedal better than I expected.

TNC
    noMAD man

As always, here's a pair.

The red one weighs 32.6lbs. and the silver one is 33lbs. Good air shocks, decently light 6" travel forks, relatively light wheels (CrossMax XL), and lighter tires run tubeless (Weirwolf 2.5 Race--750g) can really bring the weight of a big hit bike down quite a bit without really sacrificing reliability for aggressive trail with some smaller jumps and drops thrown in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Mine weighs 38 lbs as pictured. When I raced it cross country last summer, I had it down to 32 just by swapping out the tires and tubes (Tioga Factory DH 2.5s and Intense DH tubes vs. Panaracer FireXC 2.3s and Specialized turbo tubes). Even in heavy trim, it really pedals well. I can usually keep up with guys on much lighter and shorter travel bikes plus I don't have to worry about jumping off of stuff. And in light trim, it was good enough for a 2nd place in Sport!

29 some of the time...
    Dang tom, 38lb with a 4lb fork Are you sure it is that heavy?

Here is mine. Last I weighed it at just over 37lb. Tubless tires help a bit to shave grams. The specialized enduro 2.4 tubeless only weigh about 900g (in contrast to 1200-1400g for maxxis, michelin, or tioga tires of simillar size). Fork is a custom 2005 Z1, with TAS so 5-6" adjustable travel. It can handle all day epics or dh runs at northstar without changing a thing. Lighter tires are best if I have to run it in an xc type of race

Since photo was snapped I have gone to a longer travel Gravity Dropper, added a DRS chainguide, and swapped from the 90mm stem to a 70mm. I think I will swap out to a 66 light for this season since I pretty much only ride this bike on more aggressive rides.

Man, I gotta do something about that fricken green swingarm now that the holidays are over

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Dang tom, 38lb with a 4lb fork Are you sure it is that heavy?
    You're right. I just reweighed it and came up with 34 lbs and change. There must've been a gremlin holding on the last time I weighed it.

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by tom11919
    You're right. I just reweighed it and came up with 34 lbs and change. There must've been a gremlin holding on the last time I weighed it.
    Kind of figured that was a tad on the porky side for that light of a front end. Heavy forks and big dh tires/tubes seam to be the main culprits sending bullits towards the 40lb mark. I think 34-38lb makes a fun and trail worthy bullit. Any more weight and they are too cumbersome to ride on more epic rides. Any lighter and they lose their dh capabilities and stability in the rough stuff.

29 some of the time...
    Ahh, this looks a bit better. Via photochop

FishZapper
    Guys, I am LOVING these trail bullits. You're giving me some great ideas. Ive already made some major changes to mine since this thread started and as soon as UPS, USPS and FEDEX drop off my next shipments, Ill post up some newer pics. This is where she stands right now.

Anyone perhaps got an extra thompson 28.6 post they'd like to get rid of? I can do paypal. Here is the latest shot of my velo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    question for the pike guys- how does the head angle feel with that fork? I am considering picking up a bullit frame, but dont have the coin for a frame/fork combo and already have a pike on my Chameleon I was considering using. Thanks for the input...

FishZapper
    I think the Pike is a great fit personally. Lots of folks run a standard 5inch fork on their bullits with no complaints. An extra bit of travel sure doesnt hurt, I can tell you that much. Its a bit slacker. If you already have a pike, you know its a great fork. It will work fine as a trail fork, however, if you're planning on doing some nastier stuff, a 66 or z150 may be the better option in the long run.

Im staying with the pike tho, as Im going for as light/solid a combo as I can find.

mtbr member
    Guys, I am LOVING these trail bullits. You're giving me some great ideas. Ive already made some major changes to mine since this thread started and as soon as UPS, USPS and FEDEX drop off my next shipments, Ill post up some newer pics. This is where she stands right now.

Anyone perhaps got an extra thompson 28.6 post they'd like to get rid of? I can do paypal. Here is the latest shot of my velo.

I've got one that I've trimmed about 2 inches off of. If it works for you, I'll sell it to you. It was a mistake because the post endded up being too short for long climbs so I had to get a different post. I bought a Diabolus post and its just awesome. I'll post a pic of my "trail Bullit" soon with diabolus post and Boxxer Ride.
    "Hold it wide and let it slide" - Sam Hill.

FishZapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    I've got one that I've trimmed about 2 inches off of. If it works for you, I'll sell it to you. It was a mistake because the post endded up being too short for long climbs so I had to get a different post. I bought a Diabolus post and its just awesome. I'll post a pic of my "trail Bullit" soon with diabolus post and Boxxer Ride.
    What is the overall length of the post?

mtbr member
    What is the overall length of the post?
    I'll check when I get home around 5. It was originally a 330mm post with about 50mm cut off but like I said, I'll measure it when I get home.

i want spring!

keg

What's in (or was in) that keg???

dirty bert
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    I'll check when I get home around 5. It was originally a 330mm post with about 50mm cut off but like I said, I'll measure it when I get home.
    Just measured the post. It's 290mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

What is the i2i and stroke for DHX air.

I would like to put a DHX air on mine. What is the i2i and stroke. How does the DHX air perform with the Bullit? I would like to lighten mine up. Lighter wheels and DHX air. I think that I could go from 36# to 33.5#. That would make a very versatile bike.

TNC
    noMAD man

8.5 X 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaTime
    I would like to put a DHX air on mine. What is the i2i and stroke. How does the DHX air perform with the Bullit? I would like to lighten mine up. Lighter wheels and DHX air. I think that I could go from 36# to 33.5#. That would make a very versatile bike.
    That silver '03 Bullit in the pic above has one on it, and I did a writeup on the shock and bike on this forum and the DH/FR forum. It works extremely well...IMHO, better than the DHX coil I tried on it. For wheels, look at the CrossMax XLs. Amazingly light and strong and expensive. Several of us are running them around here, and they have all held up well under rocky abuse with tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    That silver '03 Bullit in the pic above has one on it, and I did a writeup on the shock and bike on this forum and the DH/FR forum. It works extremely well...IMHO, better than the DHX coil I tried on it. For wheels, look at the CrossMax XLs. Amazingly light and strong and expensive. Several of us are running them around here, and they have all held up well under rocky abuse with tubeless tires.

Thanks !! I will look up your review.

Steve McPillemann

Another one

Okay, here's my interpretation:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast